PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 5th September 2009 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Scram
27/08/2009, 1:18 PM
I am predicting we win:

1-2

And, to be honest, I will be happy with this or any win.

Even with Albania beating Cyprus 6-1, I don’t have much confidence in Trappatoni’s selection to be able to dominate a game and/or create numerous chances. As it stands I will not be overly surprised if we draw.

DeLorean
27/08/2009, 1:21 PM
Cyprus 0-2 Ireland

Comfortable.

irishultra
27/08/2009, 1:51 PM
Cyprus 2 Ireland 1

I see yet again a Cypriot team made the champions League, APOEL beating Copenhagen last night 3-1.

Duggie
27/08/2009, 1:52 PM
hard to tell till we see if we get any injuries over the weekend. fingers crossed we wont. if all are fit im going to go for a 2-0 win. im hoping we realise whats at stake and put in a really gritty performance esp from whelan and andrews. personally i like whelan and hope he gets stuck in. if robbie is on his game i think we can do it. nervous but still believe in us.

Stuttgart88
27/08/2009, 1:58 PM
1-2. Very similar to the game in Mainz.

We'll start well, score early. We'll then disappear fior large periods of the game, but get another goal on the break, and we'll concede territory from then on, conceding a late goal, excrete a few planks and then win.

geysir
27/08/2009, 2:00 PM
I fear if I make a positive prediction, the team will be cursed.

pineapple stu
27/08/2009, 2:03 PM
I'm tending towards the 2-1 win myself too. And I'd be glad of it as well.

Wolfie
27/08/2009, 2:08 PM
I fear if I make a positive prediction, the team will be cursed.

Indeed. The bitter sweet torture of a crucial Ireland away match beckons.

Prediction: Unbearable tension with spells of uneasiness, terror and nausea.

geysir
27/08/2009, 2:09 PM
That is no prediction Wolfie. That is a statement of inevitable future fact.

Stuttgart88
27/08/2009, 2:58 PM
The bitter sweet torture of a crucial Ireland away match beckons.Briliantly put.

Life would be so much more enjoyable & less complicated if I just didn't care. Or if I was Spanish.

bwagner
27/08/2009, 3:31 PM
with the mid-field the way it is and doyle not fully fit .. 1-1 with a bit of luck...

Duggie
27/08/2009, 3:34 PM
if doyle isnt fully fit id go with folan. he might be able to get robbie into the game with his mayhem in the box.

Claret Murph
27/08/2009, 3:38 PM
2-1 to Ireland , it will be close but that's the way Trap likes it .:)

TerryPhelan
27/08/2009, 3:52 PM
Briliantly put.

Life would be so much more enjoyable & less complicated if I just didn't care. Or if I was Spanish.

Hear hear! It's at times like these I genuinely envy the football-ignorant. They can go about their Saturday on an even keel, without having to entertain the sick tides of excitement and terror that rock my sanity this way and that, culminating in me being perched on the edge of my armchair, swearing at the TV, sweating lightly and tearing at my fingernails every time we lose the ball, feeling too sick to eat or move for the rest of the night. I'm predicting a 1-1 draw. With Doyle struggling for fitness and Robbie not quite with it, combined with the away game jitters, we will spend most of our time ceding possession and generally being unsure of ourselves.

The aspects that do give me cause for hope are the following:
- John O'Shea will be charged with keeping Aloneftis under wraps. Also, with Duff in front of him I think we can keep their dangerman well screened for the duration. Hopefully we can annul that threat.
- our wingers are all on decent form (though I do think this is more a game for Duff and Hunt than McGeady. Hunt thrives in away-day cauldrons of hostility such as this and would be good in keeping things tight defensively for the first hour, which I suspect will be Trap's plan.)

I am a fairly pessimistic Ireland supporter at the best of times, so would be keen to hear any other reasons to be cheerful!

Brendan 82
27/08/2009, 3:58 PM
I'm worried it could end 1-1 too. It seems like ages since we won a game and I'm not sure if we have the cuteness to put these guys away on their own pitch. Hopefully they come at us and leave holes at the back for us to exploit. I'm hoping, and think its possible, that Andrews has a really good game here.

I'm torn on which wingers should start. As Terry Phelan said, Hunt thrives in the away atmosphere scenario, but McGeady really has been firing lately. Duff is good too, but could he be dropped? I'm really torn

likealion
27/08/2009, 4:00 PM
I'm generally quite an optimistic fan but this time I really do worry, would be delighted with any sort of a win, fear a draw or worst though

Stuttgart88
27/08/2009, 4:01 PM
I think Robbie looked very sharp in Thomond.

McGeady is playing well. Hunt has been looking sharp.

Given is playing well - though I was disappointed to see him replicate his feeble parry (from which Cahill scored) in City's first game of the season, which he got away with.

A few Irish have started the season well enough. The good thing is that a lot of our players have been starting for their clubs and at least aren't bench warmers.

I can see this game being absolute agony. Even the 4-0 win there under Mick was torture for long periods.

Duggie
27/08/2009, 4:01 PM
mcgeady and duffer. we need outlets and these are our 2 best.

Razors left peg
27/08/2009, 4:02 PM
Im always overly optimistic with Ireland games and this game Im no different, we'll win it 2-0 or 2-1. And McGeady and Duff both must start, McGeady is in great form and is simply a better footballer than Hunt. I like Hunt as a sub to inject something into the game if its needed but we should start with out better players

SkStu
27/08/2009, 4:02 PM
5-2 to Cyprus. ;)

in all seriousness, i wouldnt be surprised if we lost. The performance against Australia was frightening given that it was close to a full strength team. I fear for this Irish team over the next few months, could we throw it all away?

(im a pessismistic sort too when it comes to ireland, TerryP!!)

but ill go for a 1-1

rambler14
27/08/2009, 5:07 PM
Liam Miller will cost Ireland the match. He probably won't play but the sheer presence of having a player that crap hanging around will bring the whole squad down and result in a poor Ireland performence.

Lenny82
27/08/2009, 5:57 PM
1-1. They will equalise late after piling on the pressure for the last 20 minutes. Shay will have another man of the match performance.

RiffRaff
27/08/2009, 5:59 PM
3-1 to Cyprus. Hope I'm wrong but I think we've had more than our fair share of luck so far.

Scram
27/08/2009, 6:19 PM
All very positive ;):eek:

Ranging from 0-2 Ireland to 3-0 Cyrprus, but general consensus is that we may scrape a 1 goal win but a draw would not be unlikely :mad:

Woe is me. Fcek it....we will win, end of story!

weldoninhio
27/08/2009, 6:43 PM
2-0 to Cyprus.

Stuttgart88
27/08/2009, 10:31 PM
And nothing would make you happier. Except 3-0 to Cyprus.

carloz
27/08/2009, 10:34 PM
1-1. They will equalise late after piling on the pressure for the last 20 minutes. Shay will have another man of the match performance.

This is what i think will happen too. We will score early, John O'Shea from a corner and look quite good for the first half an hour. After that we will be pants, just sit back and try to soak up every attack. It will look good until the 85th minute. Seems to happen us an awful lot. Dont think my nerves will hold up

tetsujin1979
27/08/2009, 10:58 PM
I'm just going to go nuts and guess 3-1 to Ireland.

Colbert Report
28/08/2009, 4:18 AM
One all draw.

bholg
28/08/2009, 10:55 AM
Lads,

Pre-season or no, to leak 6 to albania would surley indicate that we can put a few past them(?).

I'm optimistic - 0-2

Girl in Green
28/08/2009, 11:01 AM
Lets all be positive now.....Ireland to win; 3 points is what we need and I don't care how we get em. See ya all in Nicosia.

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 11:06 AM
Lads,

Pre-season or no, to leak 6 to albania would surley indicate that we can put a few past them(?).

I'm optimistic - 0-2
Pre-season or no, to leak 3 to Australia would surely indicate that they can put a few past us(?).

jbyrne
28/08/2009, 11:31 AM
Given is playing well - though I was disappointed to see him replicate his feeble parry (from which Cahill scored) in City's first game of the season, which he got away with.

nothing feeble about this parry imo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLOt2NaGsH0

Scram
28/08/2009, 12:25 PM

Wouldn't even constitute a parry, was a good save from a very hard shot. Is that the one Stutts is referring to because there's harsh...very harsh...and just unfair.

Crosby87
28/08/2009, 12:27 PM
2-1 Ireland on a late goal from McGeady. Keane leaves with a knee injury though.

bholg
28/08/2009, 12:35 PM
Pre-season or no, to leak 3 to Australia would surely indicate that they can put a few past us(?).

I knew that was coming allright.

I am presuming Albania are terrible (admittedly an assumption based on nothing!). I thought Austrailia actually looked pretty decent on the other hand. Blind optimism is the only way for me so!

Traps Cat
28/08/2009, 12:37 PM
1 Nil Ireland - Keane late on , in off his knee.

Stuttgart88
28/08/2009, 12:56 PM

Wouldn't even constitute a parry, was a good save from a very hard shot. Is that the one Stutts is referring to because there's harsh...very harsh...and just unfair.

I thought it was poor goalkeeping. He was leaning back so was ideally balanced to push it over the bar. Instead he put it straight back into the danger area - a criminal mistake for a keeper IMO. It wasn't actually that good a save - it was just over head height and straight in the middle of the goal.

I judge top players by tough standards, not junior football standards. I suspect most goalkeeping observers would agree with me.

youngirish
28/08/2009, 1:12 PM
A draw is the most likely outcome.

tetsujin1979
28/08/2009, 1:48 PM
I think people are forgetting that even with a terribly unbalanced and disorganised side we still scored twice against Cyprus in Cyprus. With far better organisation and tactics, there's no way we can score less than that. Right?

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 1:52 PM
You're right. I'm changing my prediction to 5-4 to Cyprus.

(Counter argument is that the 5-2 team were far more disorganised than the Brian Kerr team which only scored once).

jbyrne
28/08/2009, 1:53 PM
I thought it was poor goalkeeping. He was leaning back so was ideally balanced to push it over the bar. Instead he put it straight back into the danger area - a criminal mistake for a keeper IMO. It wasn't actually that good a save - it was just over head height and straight in the middle of the goal.

I judge top players by tough standards, not junior football standards. I suspect most goalkeeping observers would agree with me.

i was standing in line with the pen area and the initial shot was a rocket. given did great to get a hand to it and should have been able to rely on one of his players getting to the rebound. i dont judge my standards by junior football standards either and that was a good initial save. your post is overly critical. ball could have been swerving as it approached given for all we know

Stuttgart88
28/08/2009, 2:18 PM
We'll agree to disagree so.

I wasn't being dismissive by the Junior football reference, apologies if it was taken that way.

geysir
28/08/2009, 3:12 PM

When it comes to the general quality of parrying i´d agree.
Though I really cant decide on that particular shot. Needs more scientific research perhaps? :)

In general i think Goalkeepers could do well with getting experience with volleyball, espec at the net, to develop the knack of the instinctive parry away from danger.

punkrocket
28/08/2009, 3:32 PM
I also suffer from blind optimism. 4-1 Ireland.
Best game yet under Trap

Thommo
28/08/2009, 3:35 PM
1-0 please god althoguh I'd say I'll be creating walls in my underpants!

punkrocket
28/08/2009, 3:35 PM
McGeady gets 1 Doyle gets 1 Duff gets 1 Hunt gets 1 with a late consolation for the Cypriots from Kilbane

bwagner
28/08/2009, 4:03 PM
lads what players are missing from cyprus for this game???

DeLorean
28/08/2009, 4:06 PM
lads what players are missing from cyprus for this game???

See here (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1211692&postcount=30)

SkStu
28/08/2009, 4:10 PM
In general i think Goalkeepers could do well with getting experience with volleyball, espec at the net, to develop the knack of the instinctive parry away from danger.

i agree and i also think we need to introduce volleyball players into the games to give the keepers the blocking signals....

http://www.strength-and-power-for-volleyball.com/images/volleyball-blocking-signals.jpg

just a thought