PDA

View Full Version : 10 Games to go!

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
02/09/2009, 12:44 PM
I realise some teams have a game in hand and thus have 11 left but its getting near the end now.The season has skipped along very quickly i think.How do ye think yer team will do?Will Rovers catch Bohs?Who will be relegated and in the relegation play-off?Who will claim the European spots?Its not been a great season as reguards quality of games and goals either i think.

Dillonman
02/09/2009, 12:55 PM
Bray will go down(sorry lads), Shels will come up, think it will be Fingal and UCD in the playoffs and then Sligo and Drogheda. Bohs for the league. Rovers for the cup!

sligoman
02/09/2009, 1:03 PM
Bohs will win the league. Bray will be relegated. We'll stay up. Shels will win the first and Drogheda will lose the play-off final.

Mr A
02/09/2009, 1:12 PM
One suspects that relegation issues are as likely to be determined by off field considerations as anything.

It's hard to imagine all the current premier getting licenses for next season, although that's not to say it won't happen.

peadar1987
02/09/2009, 1:14 PM
I'm still hopeful we'l be able to overtake Drogheda, we still have to play them at home.

It's anyone's guess who'll get through the playoffs though.

redobit
02/09/2009, 1:15 PM
Bohs will win the league. Bray will be relegated. We'll stay up. Shels will win the first and Drogheda will lose the play-off final.

What is the situation with that. I know it was talked about on here before but no-ones seems to know for sure.

Is it -
10th: relegated
1st: promoted
2nd & 3rd play off: winner goes up
8th & 9th play off: loser goes down

pineapple stu
02/09/2009, 1:17 PM
Nope.

Winner of your third match plays the loser of your fourth match for the final place in the Premier next year. That game is two-legged; the previous games are one-legs at the ground of the team that finished higher in the league.

eelmonster
02/09/2009, 1:25 PM
One suspects that relegation issues are as likely to be determined by off field considerations as anything.

It's hard to imagine all the current premier getting licenses for next season, although that's not to say it won't happen.

Drogheda and Cork got licences for this season, what more needs to be said. Rovers for the double, I think Bray will go down and Sligo will beat Drogheda in the relegation play-off. UCD to win the First, Shels to beat Drogheda in the promotion play-off.

Mr A
02/09/2009, 1:35 PM
Drogheda and Cork got licences for this season, what more needs to be said.

Very true.

Drogheda only got in on the strength of their dying stadium plan though: is this still in the planning process to allow the same whitewash this year?

Or do DUFC have an alternative plan to get up to standard?

Mr A
02/09/2009, 1:38 PM
I'm also guessing the 65% rule will be whitewashed again.

eelmonster
02/09/2009, 1:47 PM
Drogheda only got in on the strength of their dying stadium plan though: is this still in the planning process to allow the same whitewash this year?

Or do DUFC have an alternative plan to get up to standard?

I'm not sure about the plan for a new stadium, but the FAI have upgraded, or have agreed to upgrade United Park so that it fulfils/will fulfil the licensing criteria.

WoodquayBoy
02/09/2009, 1:55 PM
If they stick strictly to the rules, can only see the likes of Rovers, Pats, Drogs and Bray, of the present Premier teams, getting Prem licences next season, so there'll be an obvious fudge on that.
I think Bray just might catch Drogheda, who'll get relegated. Sligo will beat Bray in play-off, Shels will come up, Waterford will beat Franchise and will, in turn, do a number on Bray. No one hold me to any of that of course!
Sligo might sneak the Cup, but it will probably be the other Rovers who win it, with Bohs winning the league. Still fancy Dundalk for a European place

marinobohs
02/09/2009, 1:56 PM
I'm not sure about the plan for a new stadium, but the FAI have upgraded, or have agreed to upgrade United Park so that it fulfils/will fulfil the licensing criteria.

Any chance they could get Dundalk a real pitch ?;)

BohDiddley
02/09/2009, 1:58 PM
Bohs will win the league.
It's not in the bag yet, by any stretch.

eelmonster
02/09/2009, 2:03 PM
Any chance they could get Dundalk a real pitch ?;)

:) If it's good enough for FIFA, it's good enough for the FAI. (Till March 2010).

marinobohs
02/09/2009, 2:22 PM
:) If it's good enough for FIFA, it's good enough for the FAI. (Till March 2010).

May pass regulations but that does not make it real. My post referred to "real" not "a pitch that just qualifys under the broad criteria in the relevant FIFA directive" :rolleyes:

marinobohs
02/09/2009, 2:28 PM
If they stick strictly to the rules, can only see the likes of Rovers, Pats, Drogs and Bray, of the present Premier teams, getting Prem licences next season, so there'll be an obvious fudge on that.
I think Bray just might catch Drogheda, who'll get relegated. Sligo will beat Bray in play-off, Shels will come up, Waterford will beat Franchise and will, in turn, do a number on Bray. No one hold me to any of that of course!
Sligo might sneak the Cup, but it will probably be the other Rovers who win it, with Bohs winning the league. Still fancy Dundalk for a European place

Do enlighten us as to why the other clubs would all fail to gain a licence as they all got them this year ? how would clubs that have no assets (other than players) fair better than those that own a ground ?
As far as Bohs go we are in difficulty around the 65% rule but how this equates to not getting a prem licence for next season I do not see (relegation might stop us using a Prem licence but not stop the award of one).

eamo1
02/09/2009, 2:52 PM
At the start of this thread i was going to request that it does desend into another thread of stupid petty arguing so lets please try stick to predicting and discussing league positions,NOT whats being repeated in other threads.

Ezeikial
02/09/2009, 2:57 PM

Why do you think that the remaining six (Bohs, Derry, Cork, Dundalk, Galway,Sligo) will not get premier licences next season, given strict adherance to the rules?

L.T.F.C.
02/09/2009, 5:06 PM
i think its great that if you have a plan, aspirations, or a dream in bed about a stadium and facilities, you can get the licence, even if your stadium has, at the time of the dream, no seats, no hot food, no segregated areas for away fans. Thats a true FAI licencing system.

L.T.F.C.
02/09/2009, 5:10 PM
Why do you think that the remaining six (Bohs, Derry, Cork, Dundalk, Galway,Sligo) will not get premier licences next season, given strict adherance to the rules?
Don't ask me how, but derry used to have a uefa licence.

dong
02/09/2009, 5:36 PM
Still think Bohs will win the league. They have the experience at this stage.
We will probably end up in a play off against Bray or Drogs. Nightmare scenario which could go either way.

Ezeikial
02/09/2009, 5:52 PM
I would be amazed if Bohs did not win the league (best team by a country mile).

Shamrock Rovers might push them, but will have to be content with 2nd place and building for next season (maybe win the cup)

Derry and Cork to battle it out for 3rd/4th spot, with Dundalk having a slim outside chance if either of them crash - top four to make Europa as Rovers or Bohs likely to win FAI Cup.

Bray automatic relegation spot, Drogs and Sligo for playoffs with Waterford and UCD in 1st Division playoff - lottery as to who emerges to join Shelbourne in premier.

FAI to bottle it and apply no sanctions to anyone!

Paddyfield
02/09/2009, 7:03 PM
FAI to bottle it and apply no sanctions to anyone!

If they do impose sanctions, then Bray will win the League by 60 points.

Youths4Ever
02/09/2009, 7:15 PM
Would be delighted if we could hold on to 5th place and surpass last years point total

WoodquayBoy
02/09/2009, 10:04 PM
My reasoning in offering those clubs as the ones likely to get licences is, as far as I am aware, the others are in financial trouble. We don't have 2 beans to rub together, Bohs are in uge danger of bursting the 65% cap, Dundalk and Derry also looked for paycuts, Sligo going around with the buskers hat, and we don't need an expansion on the situation in Cork. For me (and it is only a personal opinion), if those clubs are so strapped for cash, can't come in under 65%, they don't deserve a Prem licence, my shower included. Yes, they may be granted one but be relegated by suits, but for me, they simply shouldn't get one. I stress it is just a genuine opinion, not an attempt to wind anyone up or get a reaction. Someone in power needs to strap on a pair and sort the domestic situation out before we are left without a league

White Horse
02/09/2009, 10:17 PM
My reasoning in offering those clubs as the ones likely to get licences is, as far as I am aware, the others are in financial trouble. We don't have 2 beans to rub together, Bohs are in uge danger of bursting the 65% cap, Dundalk and Derry also looked for paycuts, Sligo going around with the buskers hat, and we don't need an expansion on the situation in Cork. For me (and it is only a personal opinion), if those clubs are so strapped for cash, can't come in under 65%, they don't deserve a Prem licence, my shower included. Yes, they may be granted one but be relegated by suits, but for me, they simply shouldn't get one. I stress it is just a genuine opinion, not an attempt to wind anyone up or get a reaction. Someone in power needs to strap on a pair and sort the domestic situation out before we are left without a league

There will be quite a few clubs sweating on the 65% rule as everybody has been affected by the fall in sponsorship revenue. Those who implemented pay cuts stand a better chance but there are still no guarantees.

I also expect a fudge,; "global economic recession" etc etc

CF1989
02/09/2009, 10:17 PM
sligo rovers seem financially OK now. better off than alot of other premier teams

Rovers Maniac
02/09/2009, 10:24 PM

Busker hats?:confused: We organised a draw ya loon which raised us over 30k, i believe we are in decent enough shape esp compared to most other clubs in the league, which is hardly a difficult task though.

gael353
02/09/2009, 10:41 PM
in the first Fingal will win out as they have a prem team but a chancer of a manager. Doubt they'll lose a game between here and the end. Shels and UCD to go into play offs.

WoodquayBoy
02/09/2009, 11:21 PM
Busker hats?:confused: We organised a draw ya loon which raised us over 30k, i believe we are in decent enough shape esp compared to most other clubs in the league, which is hardly a difficult task though.
You're from Sligo and you have the nerve to call me a loon!!! Look what your financial problems have brought you this season - Paul Cook whining, will he stay, will he go, oh my God, I don't know. A frew fans cobble a few quid together, no one comes in for his undoubted* managerial excellence, so he sticks with ye for another year. And now ye're in the relegation play off slots. Well done.

*if he is that good, his gamble would have paid off

Schumi
02/09/2009, 11:48 PM
in the first Fingal will win out as they have a prem team but a chancer of a manager. Doubt they'll lose a game between here and the end.They'll nearly need to go unbeaten for the rest of the season to win it. If we beat them on Friday and Shels win, they'd be 8 points off the top with 9 games left and I couldn't see them making that back. I don't think they'll win the division, I wasn't too impressed with them in either game against us. I think Shels will go up automatically with us and Waterford in the play off.

PartySaint
03/09/2009, 12:07 AM
They'll nearly need to go unbeaten for the rest of the season to win it. If we beat them on Friday and Shels win, they'd be 8 points off the top with 9 games left and I couldn't see them making that back. I don't think they'll win the division, I wasn't too impressed with them in either game against us. I think Shels will go up automatically with us and Waterford in the play off.

Yeah but if they beat yous and Shels lose they will only be 2 points behind,I hope Waterford come up from the first division,

i think Bohs will hang over(i ****ing hope so anyway), Bray to go on a bit of a run and get off the bottom of the league only to be beaten by Fingal in the play off game, Sligo to go down automatically, and inevitably us to lose in the cup final:(

Rovers Maniac
03/09/2009, 12:50 AM
You're from Sligo and you have the nerve to call me a loon!!! Look what your financial problems have brought you this season - Paul Cook whining, will he stay, will he go, oh my God, I don't know. A frew fans cobble a few quid together, no one comes in for his undoubted* managerial excellence, so he sticks with ye for another year. And now ye're in the relegation play off slots. Well done.

Actually it does not matter where i am from you still a goon :D
Why are you bringing performaces into it anyway when you are talking about finaces? Do you understand the point you first made? I picked you up on something you said about our finances that was TV3/Evening Hearld esque in its accuracy. ;) Anyway to inform you we are in profit at this point in time for the season so far, i don't think you lot of yahoos and cowboys could say that?

dong
03/09/2009, 1:29 AM
A frew fans cobble a few quid together
That's a few quid could get you somewhere to train me son:D

roversforever
03/09/2009, 6:35 AM

Why are you going on about cookie?what you said originally was that we had financial trouble,which is wrong...we're in a better position than most clubs now. Back up what you said,instead of trying to change the subject with a petty post like that!

redobit
03/09/2009, 9:31 AM

Dont comment on people and situations you obviously don't know all the facts on.
Back it up or shut the fnuk up.

Schumi
03/09/2009, 9:32 AM
Yeah but if they beat yous and Shels lose they will only be 2 points behind

Sure but the fact that need a perfect weekend just to get in touch doesn't bode well for their title challenge. I can't see Shels losing to Monaghan either.

oriel
03/09/2009, 9:55 AM
Bohs to win lge, Rovers for the Cup, Shels FD winners, + Waterford lge cup winners - why not !

Top 5 in Prem to remain as it is, we`ll be very happy with 5th spot first year back.

I think Drogs have shown they have enough fight in them to stay up, but I also think same for Sligo !! so its going to be close, I think Bray will finish bottom. Sorry seaguls

Martinho II
03/09/2009, 10:17 AM

notice sligoman you didnt mention about the cup.. i predict ye for the cup! the confidence booster from beating bohs should stand to ye..

Redie
03/09/2009, 2:22 PM
Actually it does not matter where i am from you still a goon :D
Why are you bringing performaces into it anyway when you are talking about finaces? Do you understand the point you first made? I picked you up on something you said about our finances that was TV3/Evening Hearld esque in its accuracy. ;) Anyway to inform you we are in profit at this point in time for the season so far, i don't think you lot of yahoos and cowboys could say that?

You could also have mentioned that all our players have been paid their full wages every week on time this season - we even lightened their wage bill for them - but no doubt he will ignore those facts as well.

By the way the busking suggestion might be worth considering especially given Richard Brush's and Alan Keane's turns on Karaoke King on MNS!!!!
Thanks for the Idea Woodquayboy

WoodquayBoy
03/09/2009, 2:40 PM
You're welcome, if ye have any cash leftover, you might send it our way!
Apologies if I got facts wrong, yes I should have checked first, was just typing from memory (which is obviously not something I can rely on). From what I remembered, ye did have money worries early in the year, Paul Cook did refuse to come back, supporters cobbled together a few quid, and he returned. I know there are Rovers fans out there who will blame this pre/early season situation as part of the reason for the club's poor season in the league (as well as the fact ye have been beset by so many injury problems)

Redie
03/09/2009, 2:55 PM
You're welcome, if ye have any cash leftover, you might send it our way!
Apologies if I got facts wrong, yes I should have checked first, was just typing from memory (which is obviously not something I can rely on). From what I remembered, ye did have money worries early in the year, Paul Cook did refuse to come back, supporters cobbled together a few quid, and he returned. I know there are Rovers fans out there who will blame this pre/early season situation as part of the reason for the club's poor season in the league (as well as the fact ye have been beset by so many injury problems)

Personally I gave up depending on memory years ago.
Yes Cook left at the start of the season because he felt he could not operate on the budget being imposed on him by the FAI. He returned when the club re-negotiated that budget with the FAI but that was not because the 'supporters cobbled together a few quid'. And yes, the incident is a significant reason for our current position in the league.

Mr A
03/09/2009, 2:56 PM
The FAI intervention is also probably at least part of the reason ye haven't hit financial issues this year.

Redie
03/09/2009, 4:01 PM
The FAI intervention is also probably at least part of the reason ye haven't hit financial issues this year.

Yes. Probably so.

CuanaD
03/09/2009, 4:35 PM
I see Bohs winning, closely followed by Shamrock Rovers. Bray to finish bottom, behind Drogs, but Cork to be out of the league before then - probably A league next year (run by FORAS I hope), so no direct relegation & Bray/Drogs to win the relegation play-offs & both stay up. Can't guess which of Shels/UCD will win the 1st & get that automatic place

Rory H
03/09/2009, 4:37 PM

I think Delaney said next season they will do it with a lot more clubs, t's a pity they didn't do it this year.

Mr A
03/09/2009, 5:06 PM
Yeah, hopefully they'll see that tighter regulation is the way to go. They were also responsible for Harps reducing player outgoings.

That said, they cannot actually impose budgets on private firms, so it's up to the clubs to comply.

dong
03/09/2009, 10:09 PM

Yeah, and may be part of the reason we could end up relegated as well!

redobit
04/09/2009, 1:07 PM
Shams win the league cause Bohs get deducted points.
Dundalk in to Europe cause Corks problems persist and they get demoted.
Bray and Drogheda/Sligo Rvs in a play-off due Corks problems.

Ok so there may be a small chance of all that happening, but the fact that there is any chance of it happening shows how much of a joke this league is at the moment. FAI need to clamp down big time next season.