PDA

View Full Version : Hypocritical GAA

Breifne
10/02/2004, 12:37 PM
The GAA have just shot themselves in the foot, they have just re launched their "crap" website, and guess what, instead of their tried and trusted and extremely public views on promoting Irish goods and services.

Guess where their Hosting company are....

Drum Roll please.....

The company is based in New Zealand.

Could you get further from Ireland. Please, this makes a laughing stock of the "Buy Irish" stance and the "Foreign Games" stance. I can't understand why this isn't plastered all over the papers.

tiktok
10/02/2004, 12:44 PM
To be fair, the papers gave them a pasting recently over their decision to award the development of the console game to an australian company when a waterford company had plans in place and the support of the GPA.

Assumes Devil's advocate Role:

the company may be based in NZ but do they have an Irish branch/employees handling the website. the company I work for is based in the states.

SÓC
10/02/2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Breifne
The GAA have just shot themselves in the foot, they have just re launched their "crap" website, and guess what, instead of their tried and trusted and extremely public views on promoting Irish goods and services.

Guess where their Hosting company are....

Drum Roll please.....

The company is based in New Zealand.

Could you get further from Ireland. Please, this makes a laughing stock of the "Buy Irish" stance and the "Foreign Games" stance. I can't understand why this isn't plastered all over the papers.

Because the GAA sell more papers for them than Irish soccer does.

How could you call the GAA hypocritics, sure Americian Football isnt a foriegn game. Its not as if the GAA uses other sports facilities all over the country is it?:rolleyes:

The grass roots GAA want Croker opened. Tis only the minority who dont want the garrision game being played were Irish blood was spilt etc.

Breifne
10/02/2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Because the GAA sell more papers for them than Irish soccer does.

How could you call the GAA hypocritics, sure Americian Football isnt a foriegn game. Its not as if the GAA uses other sports facilities all over the country is it?:rolleyes:

The grass roots GAA want Croker opened. Tis only the minority who dont want the garrision game being played were Irish blood was spilt etc.

Wasn't actually referring the the stance on croker, more on the gear issue, where only an wholely irish based company can supply gear.

Nike, Umbro, Adidas all have Irish sections, all employee Irish people, but they can't supply stuff to GAA teams. It ridiculous.

Breifne
10/02/2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
To be fair, the papers gave them a pasting recently over their decision to award the development of the console game to an australian company when a waterford company had plans in place and the support of the GPA.

Assumes Devil's advocate Role:

the company may be based in NZ but do they have an Irish branch/employees handling the website. the company I work for is based in the states.

I know for a fact that at least one irish company have contacted a Croke Park official with regard to doing the GAA website, but was told that it was okay, and that it had been sorted. This was all about twelve months ago.

Other Gear manufacturers have offices, and employ people in Ireland, it just stinks, the entire system of the GAA is corrupt, except for a small number of officials in Croker and in County Boards who actually care, the remainder are involved for personal and business reasons, which aren't the right reasons at all.

Breifne
10/02/2004, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by Cop on
Breifne, as you are an ex-public relations officer with Leitrim GAA County Board (not too long ago!!) I am disgusted at your hypocrisy and your pathetic GAA bashing - is it to endear yourself to users of this site or are you just jumping on the bandwagon ??
Were you not employed to design/run a website for another club before you jumped ship to Dublin City ??
On the issue of jerseys, as you well know O'Neills had a monopoly on the supply of jerseys to GAA teams for years. This monopoly is now broken resulting in intense competition between O' Neills, Gaelic Gear and Azzurri, among others. O' Neills are giving GAA teams far more money than the league clubs are getting from their manufacturers - it's got to do with volume !

Dear Mister Cop On,

you obviously know me, this is obvious because I have no problem standing behind my name!!!. Don't think i don't know who you are, I do. And you probably know this already.

I don't want to get into anything personally on such a public forum, but here is the story.

GAA Units (Club, Counties and Provinces) are forbidden to wear unlicensed gear during the playing of Gaelic Games by rule.

There are also a large number of other services which are only entertained by Irish companies. Basically it seems really stupid that they had to go to probably the furthest possible place to host their new website. There are a large number of IT companies in this country, would have been delighted to have helped out with this project, and probably at a hugely reduced rate (if not for nothing) for the huge exposure, I just thing its a huge mistake by the officers in Croke Park.

Also with regard to my supposed GAA bashing, you know my situation over the last six months, and I think I have as a good a reason as any to complain, to many decisions are made by GAA officials for personal reasons, with out proper consideration of the facts!!

Yours Sincerely,

Breifne (Look this is my name)

PS. regarding doing websites for various clubs, the way contracts work is that various people make tenders for a job, the client selects the tender which suits them best at that moment in time.

Jobs come, Jobs Go.

You do a job, circumstances change, (with either party), you leave a job. end of story.

Breifne
10/02/2004, 1:50 PM
I'm not getting into a arguement with someone who is not prepared to put a name with their arguement. Anyone can hide behind an alias.

Macy
10/02/2004, 2:26 PM
Are league clubs not also forbidden to wear unlicensed gear ??
Don't see Bohs running around in Umbro jerseys ...... By the way, how much do Bohs get from O' Neills ??
eL clubs can where whatever gear they like, totally up to the clubs.... It's only a couple of years ago that Bohs were wearing Umbro FFS...

Anyway, what's wrong with a bit of Gah bashing on an eL forum? :)

Ringo
11/02/2004, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by Breifne
Wasn't actually referring the the stance on croker, more on the gear issue, where only an wholely irish based company can supply gear.

Nike, Umbro, Adidas all have Irish sections, all employee Irish people, but they can't supply stuff to GAA teams. It ridiculous.

this popular misconception ****sss's me off. O'Neills do not make all their gear in Ireland, but the GAA turn a blind eye to this.

IrelandUnited
12/02/2004, 2:00 PM
An Irish soccer site thread complaining about outside influence on Irish sport !!! As that guy in the Sun says "you couldn't make it up"

Have you got your Sky sub Breifne.?

Who cares what the GAA do? I care less and your looking for brownie points may appeal only to the Hard core GAA bashers who are as boring as the Gah heads themselves.

sadloserkid
12/02/2004, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
I care less and your looking for brownie points may appeal only to the Hard core GAA bashers who are as boring as the Gah heads themselves.

People - Stones - Glass Houses

Macy
12/02/2004, 3:07 PM
the supply of gear to GAA teams is open to competition ... whoever gives the best deal gets the contract ... simple as that !
It's not though, it has to be GAA sanctioned companies... Competition between 3 companies isn't open competition at all! Umbro can't just enter the market...