PDA

View Full Version : Coughlan told to pay up or face Cork player strike

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr A
01/09/2009, 2:03 PM
Cork player have only been paid a fifth of their wages for last month:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/coughlan-told-to-pay-up-or-face-cork-player-strike-1874270.html

bellavistaman
01/09/2009, 2:06 PM
bout time too..

Mr A
01/09/2009, 2:06 PM
Club response:

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=1106

eelmonster
01/09/2009, 2:11 PM
While a great many businesses are implementing paycuts at this time, CCFC wish to honour all existing obligations to the end of the season. This is only possible by phasing the payments over a slightly extended period. The club has issued a written proposal to the players and we are awaiting their response.

I thought Cork had already implemented pay cuts :confused:

Longfordian
01/09/2009, 2:13 PM
They did, twice in some players cases from what i can recall.

Macy
01/09/2009, 2:15 PM
I see Coughlan still wants the focus on European Qualification... If they got a UEFA licence after this season, licencing would be more of a farce than usual.

Mr A
01/09/2009, 2:22 PM
That leads to a related question- Coleraine could not play in Europe for three years due to their administration- are there any similar rules for examinership? There really should be.

Mr A
01/09/2009, 3:29 PM
Cork fans will be relieved to note that their club has a cunning plan:

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=1107

redobit
01/09/2009, 3:39 PM
That leads to a related question- Coleraine could not play in Europe for three years due to their administration- are there any similar rules for examinership? There really should be.

With all the crap Cork have brought to the table, in just one season, they could nearly do them for Bringing the League into Disrepute alone!

Longfordian
01/09/2009, 3:58 PM
If they were going for the title I doubt they'd get 5,000 at the six games. They were in the same situation of going for Europe last season and didn't get them then. Coughlan is beyond belief, really.

DmanDmythDledge
01/09/2009, 6:01 PM

Maybe they'll let people in for free again to get crowds that high...

SMorgan
01/09/2009, 6:20 PM

....and it looks like Baldrick came up with it!!!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:nOKesdQPSwecWM:http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/images/2005/11/22/tony_robinson_baldrick203_203x152.jpg

But why don't other clubs give it a go. Like if Galway get 7,500 a game between now and the end of the season they could get somewhere to train.

Mr A
01/09/2009, 6:22 PM
Or if Dundalk got 10,000 they'd be able to honour the contracts given out a few weeks ago. :)

Steve Bruce
01/09/2009, 8:58 PM
If some how this does work (can't see it), maybe all the clubs on this island should put out a rallying cry towards the thousands of potential supporters.

Maybe we are missing a trick here :D

sheao
01/09/2009, 9:13 PM

Only TNB would come up with something like that. Like out of our remaining games only the games against Bohs and Derry would realisticly get near that number.

Ezeikial
01/09/2009, 9:16 PM
Only TNB would come up with something like that. Like out of our remaining games only the games against Bohs and Derry would realisticly get near that number.

Anyone able to get hold of Uncle Tom to ask him what happens if those numbers don't materialise - no wages and blame the fans?

brianw82
01/09/2009, 10:14 PM
Anyone able to get hold of Uncle Tom to ask him what happens if those numbers don't materialise - no wages and blame the fans?

Sounds like an equally cunning backup plan!:)

White Horse
02/09/2009, 8:45 AM
When is the friendly with Celtic on?

Martinho II
02/09/2009, 10:05 AM

pardon my ignorance but who is TNB?

osarusan
02/09/2009, 10:06 AM
Tom Coughlan. "Tommy No Bobs" - I think this is where TNB comes from.

seand
02/09/2009, 10:25 AM

A very sensible question, relating to a very sensible punishment from the IFA for Coleraine. The FAI on the other hand happily stated at the end of last season that they would put Cork City forward for European competition if they qualified, despite their examinership.

eamo1
02/09/2009, 12:26 PM
I assume not paying(not being able to pay) players is in breach of having an A Licence or any Licence i suspect,yes??So how are Cork able to keep their licence?It goes for other clubs too im sure.4 or 5 clubs at the end of the season are in real danger of not getting their licence renewed.

Mr A
02/09/2009, 12:43 PM
As long as the players sign off on any deferrals then the clubs are sound license wise. Of course the players know that if they don't sign off and the club is out of the league then they will never get their money.

Marco
02/09/2009, 1:35 PM
Credit must go to the players and staff for putting up with so much crap over the last couple of seasons.

marinobohs
02/09/2009, 2:42 PM
Credit must go to the players and staff for putting up with so much crap over the last couple of seasons.

Yep, this is very true Cork players and staff have done exceptionally well this season bearing in mind the soap opera that the club has now become. carrying on as normal while their future was so "up in the air" must have been difficult and their results (given that players were not paid and in some cases moved on) have been very good. The players union and the FAI should do all they can to ensure this does not happen in the future (breath not held !)

micls
02/09/2009, 2:57 PM
Those statements would make you just laugh if the situation weren't so serious for the players and staff.

They have been outstanding and in return have been walked all over.

marinobohs
02/09/2009, 3:12 PM
Those statements would make you just laugh if the situation weren't so serious for the players and staff.

They have been outstanding and in return have been walked all over.

Ehhhhh If your post was in response to me then I suggest you read mine again. the very point I made was that the players/staff at CCFC have been exceptional this season given the extremely trying circumstances and that results are good bearing in mind all that has happened.

micls
02/09/2009, 3:24 PM
Ehhhhh If your post was in response to me then I suggest you read mine again. the very point I made was that the players/staff at CCFC have been exceptional this season given the extremely trying circumstances and that results are good bearing in mind all that has happened.

If my post was in response to you I would have quoted you :confused:

My post as in response to the thread in general

sheao
02/09/2009, 3:25 PM
Next Wednesday.

sheao
02/09/2009, 3:26 PM
Europe should'nt be the clubs main concern at all,it should be trying to get the club stating on a clean financial slate again .

John83
02/09/2009, 3:30 PM
That can hardly matter, since they already gave the proceeds to the taxman.

pineapple stu
02/09/2009, 3:31 PM
Unless the proceeds don't repay the loan.

marinobohs
02/09/2009, 3:55 PM
If my post was in response to you I would have quoted you :confused:

My post as in response to the thread in general

As I was reminded previously if you respond to the preceeding post there is no need to quote ! Anyhoo, agree RE some of the stuff on this thread, really cannot imagine such a lack of understanding for workers in any other industry.

White Horse
02/09/2009, 4:31 PM
That can hardly matter, since they already gave the proceeds to the taxman.

It does matter as the proceeds are dependant how many people turn up.

Shelsman
02/09/2009, 4:43 PM
I see Coughlan still wants the focus on European Qualification... If they got a UEFA licence after this season, licencing would be more of a farce than usual.

It's pretty simple really as to why Cork City have been let away with murder. If there were two Cork teams (in the Premier Division anyway) the FAI would've had no trouble in relegating/punishing City. Shels were relegated as there are lots of Dublin clubs to go round, but letting a leading light not just in Munster but in the league shrivel up and die was/is not an option as it would be a massive blow to football in this country.
The FAI said that they wouldn't let senior football disappear in Limerick, so Cork is no different (and I agree in principle -no point having a 'Dublin' National League).

However, you have to admit that any team gaining an advantage on the field and consequently on the league table by fielding teams they can't afford is gaining an unfair advantage -so a (sizeable) points deduction should be applied. Unfortunately, due to the recession, there are only 2 or 3 clubs who haven't hit financial trouble (though Dundalk's actions really do take the biscuit).

In a sense, by all your players becoming free agents due to the non-payment of wages, maybe that's punishment enough?

Mr A
02/09/2009, 4:51 PM
I honestly think the FAI should punish every club that breaches the rules, even if that means 90% of the teams in the league and UCD being champions by default. It wouldn't make the league any more of a farce than it already is and might knock some sense into a few people.

Ezeikial
02/09/2009, 5:03 PM
I honestly think the FAI should punish every club that breaches the rules, even if that means 90% of the teams in the league and UCD being champions by default. It wouldn't make the league any more of a farce than it already is and might knock some sense into a few people.

Of course the FAI should sanction every club that breaches the rules, without fear or favour. I have not heard any rational reason why they should not. On the other hand an FAI fudge simply further diminishes their integrity as a regulatory body, and effectively encourage more of the same from clubs.

Mr A
02/09/2009, 5:19 PM
Indeed, but I think in the past the tendency has been to take a softly, softly approach due the sheer widespread nature of non compliance.

Ezeikial
02/09/2009, 5:42 PM
......due the sheer widespread nature of non compliance.

It has been suggested and inferred on many threads that there is widespread non-complicance this season.

Obviously Bohs have been the subject of interim sanctions by the FAI in relation to the 65% rule and speculation exists about others, particularly Cork, but obviously that will not become apparent for a while yet.

Assuming that all other clubs manage to meet all players wage commitments by the due deadline, are there any other grounds for believing that any other club is likely to fall foul of complaince regulations?

Mr A
02/09/2009, 5:49 PM
Derry have to be flirting with the 65% rule as well given their income has been well down on expectations and the wage bill remains very high. There is also the question there of them owing transfer fees to Dungannon.

SMorgan
02/09/2009, 8:48 PM
I believe Derry City are in Court at the end of the month over the transfer of McGinn to Celtic. They are to have to pay up.

Mr A
02/09/2009, 9:21 PM
I see that FORAS have gone on the offensive again TNB. Fair play, overdue if anything.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

SligoBrewer
02/09/2009, 9:56 PM
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2443/

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2444/

Mr A
03/09/2009, 11:30 AM
All sorted: http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=1109

pineapple stu
03/09/2009, 11:36 AM
Thank God that's over.

Like the way he managed to get a dig in at some badly-run clubs too.

micls
03/09/2009, 11:38 AM
Thank God that's over.

Like the way he managed to get a dig in at some badly-run clubs too.

:D It's the TNB way.

Lie, sling mud, deflect, sling mud etc.

Longfordian
03/09/2009, 11:45 AM
It's all sorted until he can't pay what he's agreed to pay.

A face
03/09/2009, 12:02 PM
It's all sorted until he can't pay what he's agreed to pay.

In a nutshell ..... next time it will be an immediate strike, no hanging about.

5 home games left, one of those in Sept ..... so any day now, expect a headline.

RĂ©iteoir
03/09/2009, 12:11 PM
:D It's the TNB way.

Lie, sling mud, deflect, sling mud etc.

Does he have an account on here as well then? ;)

marinobohs
03/09/2009, 12:13 PM
In a nutshell ..... next time it will be an immediate strike, no hanging about.

5 home games left, one of those in Sept ..... so any day now, expect a headline.

I know that the players seriously considered strike action this week so if there were to be any further "problems".......
What would be the outcime if a team refused to play a match due to industrial action ? Deferral ? awarded to opposition? Would there be pickets ? would fans seek autographs as they passed the players on picket duty ?:) Anyone know if there was any precedents for strike action ?