PDA

View Full Version : Villa V Everton

an_ceannaire
31/08/2009, 2:51 PM
Who are the bigger club and who are the better team?
All recent evidence points to Everton. Considerably better domestic history than Villa. 9 league titles, 5 FA Cups. But Villa have a European Cup to their name.
Villa have been threatening to become a top 6 side for a while, Everton have done it, consistently, for 4 or 5 years now. Breaking into the top 4 on one occasion and only missing out on the champions league group stages due to a howler of a decision by Collina in his last ever game!

Everton look the more settled club altho recent events might suggest otherwise.

DeLorean
31/08/2009, 2:56 PM
I'd consider themselves and Spurs the biggest 3 clubs in England outside the big 4. Don't think there's a great deal between the 3. Spurs seem to have more spending power though.

an_ceannaire
31/08/2009, 3:03 PM
Spurs have far more potential than the other 2. You just cant ignore the London factor in all this. Tottenham are consistently linked with players the likes of Everton and Villa could never dream of attracting ie Rebrov in his prime. It may not have worked but he would never have gone to Everton. Everton and Villa suffer badly for Geography, and even tho both, and especially Everton have consistenly done far better than Spurs, the London factor alone means Spurs are a bigger draw. Unfair perhaps but true.

reder
01/09/2009, 8:39 AM
Villa are far stronger financially and that is the key factor nowadays. Everton have overachieved over the past few seasons and I cant see them getting top 6 this season. They wont struggle by any means but Villa, Spurs and Man City will finish higher in the league.

Spurs have the potential and the spending power to go top 4 within the next 2-3 seasons.

swinfordfc
01/09/2009, 3:36 PM
Everton are a good team but they are paper thin at the moment - spurs and villa have a bigger squads - spurs squad looks better than villa this year but as a villa fan - i think this squad this year (including dunne and collins) is the strongest we ever had for last 10 years .....

BohsPartisan
01/09/2009, 4:45 PM
Depends on what you mean by big - if you're going on history, support and the like it has to be Everton. If you're going on spending power its spurs out of the three mentioned but thats like saying Man City are suddenly bigger than Liverpool because they can go out and spend more all of a sudden. Everton's notoriously poor record in Europe (excluding 1985) is their let down in this area though arguably their greatest side ever never had the chance to compete at the highest level in Europe because of the ban.

seand
02/09/2009, 1:04 PM
I'd consider themselves and Spurs the biggest 3 clubs in England outside the big 4. Don't think there's a great deal between the 3. Spurs seem to have more spending power though.

I'd consider Everton and Villa to be bigger clubs than Chelsea. What have Chelsea done? 3 league titles 3 or 4 FA cups. Villa and Everton have won lots more and have better support. Sure Chelsea have a high profile at the minute, but are Wigan a 'bigger' club than Leeds?

DeLorean
02/09/2009, 1:40 PM
I'd consider Everton and Villa to be bigger clubs than Chelsea. What have Chelsea done? 3 league titles 3 or 4 FA cups. Villa and Everton have won lots more and have better support. Sure Chelsea have a high profile at the minute, but are Wigan a 'bigger' club than Leeds?

Yeah that's true enough I suppose. Come to think of it Leeds would be well up there too. Suppose that would definitely be the top 8 in no particular order- Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds, Everton, Aston Villa, Tottenham & Chelsea. In fact that wouldn't be far off the particular order. Am I letting anybody out- Forest and Derby would probably be amongst the candidates to complete the Top 10 but it's a hard thing to measure.