PDA

View Full Version : Galway United homeless

Paddyfield
28/08/2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.galwaynews.ie/8622-039homeless039-united-have-nowhere-train

GALWAY UNITED HOMELESS - Galway City Tribune 28 August 2009

THE manager of cash-strapped Galway United has made a desperate plea to the owners of sports facilities around the city and county to come to the club’s aid in order for it to see out the rest of the season.
Speaking to Tribune Sport yesterday, Ian Foster confirmed that United are no longer using Salthill Devon’s excellent facilities at Drom because the cost is prohibitive to the club. United trained at the former Olde Ground pitch behind Arch Motors in Westside last week, but this week training took place at Moyne Villa’s ground in Headford, the third training ground for United in the past fortnight.
“Can I make a plea to anyone out there who might have a pitch that we can use until November to give me a ring, anything to see us to the end of the season. Things are really tight at the club now, it is no exaggeration to say we are taking things one day at a time.
“We had to stop using Drom because it was costing the club a lot of money, and it is money the club does not have. It is the same with Headford, there is a cost involved and it is very tight to get that money together for training.
“To be honest, this is the last thing you would expect to happen so far into a season, struggling to get somewhere to train, but if there is a club out there that can help us out, we’d really appreciate it. We could come to an arrangement where me and my staff would help out with training junior sides or whatever.
“The bottom line is people want money for us to use their facilities, and we just don’t have it. We need people who have a football pitch and will let us use it between now and November to come forward,” he said.
It is not so much a failure to prepare, more an inability, but Foster said that training has gone well this week and he is looking for a reaction from his players for tonight’s visit of Shamrock Rovers to Terryland Park (kick-off 7.45pm).

Hairy Bowsie
28/08/2009, 10:06 PM
Thread title is a little misleading

Umberside
28/08/2009, 10:11 PM
No doubt when they are Salthill Devon's training pitches they are top notch. Why don't Galway have their own training ground like we do? (We even built a stand in our training ground :D)

sligoman
28/08/2009, 10:12 PM
Is their no public parks in Galway?

Umberside
28/08/2009, 10:14 PM
Is their no public parks in Galway?

They could train in Eyre Square

GalwayRed
28/08/2009, 10:21 PM
It's so crazy it just might work:)

Rory H
28/08/2009, 10:54 PM
Ian Foster is a hero for Galway, most managers would moan, he genuinely wants the best for the club. I suppose he is benefiting himself, but still, great credit due.

If we don't finish above that joke of a club it is a disgrace.

SMorgan
29/08/2009, 6:59 AM
No doubt when they are Salthill Devon's training pitches they are top notch. Why don't Galway have their own training ground like we do? (We even built a stand in our training ground :D)

Well according to their famour DVD they do own Salthill Devons training facilities. This is the club that got the most off-field assessment points because of THEIR training facilities.

I also thought having training facilities is a licensing requirement. How could the FAI let some thing like this happen?

Hairy Bowsie
29/08/2009, 7:44 AM
Well according to their famour DVD they do own Salthill Devons training facilities. This is the club that got the most off-field assessment points because of THEIR training facilities.

I also thought having training facilities is a licensing requirement. How could the FAI let some thing like this happen?

These are both very good points actually. Another shambles from the FAI, it's a far way away but if you listen very closely,you'll hear the sound of something (else) being brushed under the carpet in Abbotstown. They're going to run out of carpet soon.

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 9:06 AM
Ohh give it a ****ing rest, yes everything in Cork is peachy, why cant we all follow the flawless Cork model, your fans are the best, your ground is the best, yee have the best forward planning, your travel facilities are the best you even said at the end of the season your finances will be sound when you release a couple of players.
You need a headupyourarsetirectomy fast.
I dont go bleeting on about the state of your finances but seriously its a shambles and things are far from ok down there so do feel free to stop telling us how unbelievably amazing your club is when ya dont have a pot to p!ss in.

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 9:09 AM
As for galway, what a farce in all honesty.
How Galway were promoted by the FAI above Dundalk ill never understand.
But as ever Ian Foster is a credit to your club, seems like one of the most genuine managers in this league.

Paddyfield
29/08/2009, 9:55 AM
Thread title is a little misleading

It was the headline in the newspaper

Umberside
29/08/2009, 10:28 AM

Total rubbish. Galway offered professional football and one of the best stadia in the country.

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 10:47 AM
Total rubbish. Galway offered professional football and one of the best stadia in the country.
What a load of coc.k.
Firstly they are absolutely broke, I know Dundalk arent in any great shape but in comparison to Galway are light years ahead.
Secondly have you been to Terryland? Fantastic stadium, pity that Dundalks crowds absolutely dwarf Galways. Terryland is like a corpse in a mansion.
Thirdly Dundalk rightly won promotion on the pitch.
Fourthly as a Dundalk fan stated Galway had the training facilities as their own in the off field assesment and so mislead the assesment so by all right should not have been promoted by the FAI.
Fifthly Dundalk are professional outfit, Galway arent so therefore that arguement you put forward is completely void, total rubbish as you so eloquently put.
Do better next time.

brianw82
29/08/2009, 11:26 AM
What a load of coc.k.
Firstly they are absolutely broke, I know Dundalk arent in any great shape but in comparison to Galway are light years ahead.
Secondly have you been to Terryland? Fantastic stadium, pity that Dundalks crowds absolutely dwarf Galways. Terryland is like a corpse in a mansion.
Thirdly Dundalk rightly won promotion on the pitch.
Fourthly as a Dundalk fan stated Galway had the training facilities as their own in the off field assesment and so mislead the assesment so by all right should not have been promoted by the FAI.
Fifthly Dundalk are professional outfit, Galway arent so therefore that arguement you put forward is completely void, total rubbish as you so eloquently put.
Do better next time.

The key word there is "offered" professional football - past tense. Galway were not broke 3 seasons ago. Dundalk were not full time 3 seasons ago. You're revising facts to suit yourself.

Umberside isn't the only one who needs to improve his arguments.

gufc2000
29/08/2009, 11:26 AM
But as ever Ian Foster is a credit to your club, seems like one of the most genuine managers in this league.
You worry abou you´re lot. Wasn´t it this time last year when ye were bawling for money to see ye out until the season.

brianw82
29/08/2009, 11:28 AM
You worry abou you´re lot. Wasn´t it this time last year when ye were bawling for money to see ye out until the season.

Indeed it was, and some people are very quick to forget that.

Hope Galway get sorted out one way or the other.

micls
29/08/2009, 11:33 AM

Eh, we don't have out own training ground, we rent one.

Ffs the only thing we own is a few footballs.

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 11:40 AM
The key word there is "offered" professional football - past tense. Galway were not broke 3 seasons ago. Dundalk were not full time 3 seasons ago. You're revising facts to suit yourself.
Sorry did Dundalk not "offer" professional football also?
Also the very fact that Dundalk have a full time outfit now puts even greater substance behind their "offer" than Galways "offer".
The very fact that accounts and budgets were submitted for the assesment should have demonstrated that Dundalks model for the future was far superior to Galways, thats what budgets are there for.
So believe me the present is pivitol in understanding the past assesments, understand?

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 11:43 AM
Im not having a go at Galway, more so at the FAI off-field assesment farce.

sadloserkid
29/08/2009, 11:44 AM

Pretty sure there's a sign up forbidding it sadly. :)

gufc2000
29/08/2009, 2:48 PM
Sorry did Dundalk not "offer" professional football also?
Also the very fact that Dundalk have a full time outfit now puts even greater substance behind their "offer" than Galways "offer".
The very fact that accounts and budgets were submitted for the assesment should have demonstrated that Dundalks model for the future was far superior to Galways, thats what budgets are there for.
So believe me the present is pivitol in understanding the past assesments, understand?
Yes but Dundalk didn´t operate on a full-time basis for the past two years. They´re only in their first season as full time pros. Dundalks model can only be deemed superior if it last longers than ours.

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 3:04 PM
Yes but Dundalk didn´t operate on a full-time basis for the past two years.
Only because they were refused promotion by the FAI and Galway were promoted in their place.

They´re only in their first season as full time pros. Dundalks model can only be deemed superior if it last longers than ours.
I disagree, I think we can also judge it on the developments so far.

Schumi
29/08/2009, 10:19 PM

You can't blame the FAI. It's unreasonable to expect clubs to own training facilities when lots don't own their grounds so the best you can expect is a contract to rent somewhere. The FAI can't be expected to foresee a club not being able to pay the bill for training.

osarusan
29/08/2009, 11:17 PM
You can't blame the FAI. It's unreasonable to expect clubs to own training facilities when lots don't own their grounds so the best you can expect is a contract to rent somewhere. The FAI can't be expected to foresee a club not being able to pay the bill for training.
I thought the initial question was not whether owning training facilities is a licensing requirement or not, but that according to the poster, Galway had claimed they owned facilities which it turns out they don't own. I have no idea if it is true or not though.

SMorgan
30/08/2009, 12:04 PM
Galway did claim to own facilities belonging to Salthill Devons.

But what's the problem here? Given that Galway United allow Mervue United use Terryland Park for league matches, is the solution to Galway's problem not obvious??

Sam_Heggy
30/08/2009, 12:16 PM

But what's the problem here? Given that Galway United allow Mervue United use Terryland Park for league matches, is the solution to Galway's problem not obvious??

Galway play home games in Turners cross, use Windsor park for training and make a new DVD entitled "We hate Dundalk" all with a hidden agenda which see's the FAI deny Bohs the chance to play in next seasons Champions League and instead replace them with Galway.
It's brilliant.

sligoman
30/08/2009, 12:21 PM
Given that Galway United allow Mervue United use Terryland Park for league matches, is the solution to Galway's problem not obvious??Galway don't own Terryland so I doubt it's them that allow Mervue play there, I'd assume it's Galway's FA that allow it.

Terry
30/08/2009, 5:05 PM

galway never claimed to own the drom, they just said they " have full usage of one of the best training facilities in the country ".

We dont own terryland either, its the Galway FA that are renting out terryland to mervue at a cost of less than 20% of what they are making Galway United pay !!!!!!

Sam_Heggy
30/08/2009, 6:12 PM
galway never claimed to own the drom, they just said they " have full usage of one of the best training facilities in the country ".

We dont own terryland either, its the Galway FA that are renting out terryland to mervue at a cost of less than 20% of what they are making Galway United pay !!!!!!

I hear there is a Dundalk man on the Galway FA committee

SMorgan
30/08/2009, 8:14 PM

and somebody forgot to tell SD's Solicitor.

Terry
31/08/2009, 7:43 PM
I hear there is a Dundalk man on the Galway FA committee

well a former dundalk player in John Clery, billys father.

and somebody forgot to tell SD's Solicitor.

what?

Sam_Heggy
31/08/2009, 8:30 PM
well a former dundalk player in John Clery, billys father.

Ah crap, well that was an attempted joke gone horribly wrong. :o

brianw82
02/09/2009, 7:47 PM
So have Galway found anywhere to train yet?

Mr A
02/09/2009, 8:06 PM
No word of it on the GUST forum anyway.

gufc2000
02/09/2009, 8:49 PM
So have Galway found anywhere to train yet?
Not yet unfortunately :(

brianw82
02/09/2009, 10:11 PM
Are the players training on their own, doing any cardio work, etc?

Surely they can't be sitting on their asses all week with a game in Cork coming up?

Mr Maroon
02/09/2009, 11:06 PM
Are the players training on their own, doing any cardio work, etc?

Surely they can't be sitting on their asses all week with a game in Cork coming up?

They are training, just not on a proper pitch.

sligoman
02/09/2009, 11:09 PM
They are training, just not on a proper pitch.Given the problems between both clubs in the past, it's good to see Dundalk are allowing Galway use their pitch in their time of need;).

Dunny
02/09/2009, 11:12 PM
It took 3 minutes...:D

WoodquayBoy
02/09/2009, 11:18 PM
They didn't need much training to see off Derry on Tuesday night. I say stick with the existing arrangements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Maroon
02/09/2009, 11:27 PM
They're training on Moyne Villa's pitch in Headford I think.

Martinho II
03/09/2009, 10:29 AM
so Ian fosters plea came true??

WoodquayBoy
03/09/2009, 10:49 AM
No, from what I hear, it is costing in the region of e400 a week to train there

Terry
06/09/2009, 11:39 AM
€400 is not bad for headford compared to the €1200 a week salthill were squeezing out of the club.

srfc1928
06/09/2009, 2:22 PM
€400 is not bad for headford compared to the €1200 a week salthill were squeezing out of the club.
would Salthills facilities not be far superior to Headfords ?

foxx92
06/09/2009, 3:29 PM
would Salthills facilities not be far superior to Headfords ?

It's better but not a whole lot better. Moyne Villa have a good astroturf and a decent pitch.

pineapple stu
07/09/2009, 9:06 AM
Stuff about Dundalk moved here. (http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=123875)