PDA

View Full Version : 3 o'clock kick-offs

Umberside
28/08/2009, 5:33 PM
Someone mentioned this on a thread earlier, I though it was an interesting point.

Is there any hope of a LOI game being played at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon or is it impossible to be a success?

Rovers1
28/08/2009, 5:36 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Please no:(

Dunny
28/08/2009, 5:37 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

x1000000

Umberside
28/08/2009, 5:37 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

With good marketing it could work

ped_ped
28/08/2009, 8:14 PM
I don't think he's saying it'd be bad from a marketing point of view... he just doesn't want it, personally.

CF1989
28/08/2009, 8:18 PM
i dont think this would be a runner.

alot of people that go to LOI games are just interested in football but not mad into the local club, they wouldnt bother going to a game during the day because the premiership games are on, or there working or doing something else. the die hards would still go but you'd definatly see a drop in attendances.

you get more 'non supporters' in the evening i reckon as theres not much else on. by non supporters i mean locals who wouldnt be mad into the club but just go along to have a look and watch a gamer of footy

oriel
28/08/2009, 8:40 PM
I dont know where you are going with a 3pm Sat suggestion, th eonly thing close to this was the pre floodlight era of 3.30 for all games and 2.30 for those with no floodlights at the time during the winter.

I wouldnt like to go to this either, but there was defintely something nice about a winter game at 3.30 and a nice few pints in a warm pub/clubhouse after

GalwayRed
28/08/2009, 10:20 PM
Someone mentioned this on a thread earlier, I though it was an interesting point.

Is there any hope of a LOI game being played at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon or is it impossible to be a success?
I think the person who posted that suggestion was joking. It would be suicidal to try and directly compete with the Premiership anyway.

blackholesun
28/08/2009, 11:16 PM
Sat @ 7 working really in Tallaght, suits away fans perfectly which means a bit of atmosphere in the ground and suits families who want to come to the games with kids.

bhs

DRDoc
28/08/2009, 11:17 PM
amazingly the fai did not let a loi club play a particular game at 3pm earlier in the season as it clashed with the uk leagues

GalwayRed
28/08/2009, 11:27 PM
amazingly the fai did not let a loi club play a particular game at 3pm earlier in the season as it clashed with the uk leagues
Was that by any chance the Waterford-Shels game that was being changed because it clashed with a rugby match?

Da Real Rover
29/08/2009, 9:31 AM
Never never never never no no no no.

Umberside
29/08/2009, 10:29 AM
Never never never never no no no no.

No No Never

padjoe
31/08/2009, 8:50 AM
why not experiment it in the summer months when there is no EPL or SPL on? it might be a runner then.

Mr A
31/08/2009, 9:09 AM
It would be a good idea to have the occasional league 'family day' where all games kicked at 3 with lots of activities, promotion etc to get the kids in. Most games currently take place a bit too late for many people to feel comfortable bringing young children.

Macy
31/08/2009, 9:52 AM
I guess it depends on the age of the child(ren), but 3pm would definitely suit better for me, either with or without the kids. I'm sure the beered up lads prefer the making the night of it buzz of evening kick off's (as I did myself), but I'd say for a lot of people the evening kick off's make it harder.

I don't think the clash with TV matters - virtually all kick off times clash with some football match, or rugby etc. People will always use it as an excuse whatever.

As ever, any change shouldn't be done without proper research etc etc...

thischarmingman
31/08/2009, 11:46 AM
As ever, any change shouldn't be done without proper research etc etc...

Proper research? I though we just keep changing things until the crowds go up to 10,000 per game? :confused:

sonofstan
31/08/2009, 11:52 AM
I think the person who posted that suggestion was joking. It would be suicidal to try and directly compete with the Premiership anyway.

Aren't the televised games early and late on Saturday? i.e. not 3pm so as not to affect the rest of the leagues in England? Personally, i'd love Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Rovers1
31/08/2009, 12:09 PM
I don't think he's saying it'd be bad from a marketing point of view... he just doesn't want it, personally.

Yup...my working shift either finishes or starts at 3 on a Saturday. Alot of younger people would be in this situation and would'nt be able to make the "Sat afternoon" games.

GalwayRed
31/08/2009, 12:33 PM
Aren't the televised games early and late on Saturday? i.e. not 3pm so as not to affect the rest of the leagues in England? Personally, i'd love Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
Only in england though. Other countries can show premiership matches at 3 on a saturday. Thats why RTE used to show 3 o clock games in the premiership.
Id love Saturday games as well if I thought it wouldnt affect attendences but i reckon it would.

sheao
31/08/2009, 9:20 PM
Never,it would never work. The crowds would just not be there for games a 3pm with the premiership games kicking off at the same time.
For me personally i work on Saturday afternoons so it would make it difficult for me to head along to games.