PDA

View Full Version : The Derry City thread - Derry sign first four players

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

blue til i die
28/08/2009, 12:56 AM
More bad news, not surprised though, everyone needs to cut back

http://www.derrycityfc.net/cityweb/Latest/statement-from-peter-hutton.html

Statement From Peter Hutton

Peter Hutton would like to make the following statement on behalf of the Derry City players
We, the players of Derry City FC are presently involved in ongoing discussions with the Board in an attempt to resolve matters regarding players receiving 25% of this months wages, plus the imminent arrival of wage cuts. Both parties are endeavouring to bring about a resolution to which all will find amicable

These last few days have been a distressing time for all players and their families as football is for most, the sole means of income. Players are not immune from the pressures of daily life such as providing for a family, mortgage/rent & car repayments etc... so it's a worrying time for all involved. The players also acknowledge and value the efforts of all those working tirelessly behind the scences in helping to ensure we have a competitive team on the field of play and consequently we too are aware of our own responsibilities within the current situation

The players of Derry City FC are fully united in our commitment to finishing the season strongly and we recognise European qualification is essential if our club wishes to move forward through this difficult period. In a week that can have a significant bearing upon us achieving this goal, the players would like to appeal to all our supporters to demonstrate their support for our club by attending the upcomming games and being as vociferous and passionate as possible

Sheridan
28/08/2009, 1:02 AM
The players also acknowledge and value the efforts of all those working tirelessly behind the scences
Schoolboy spelling error there, he clearly meant "séances".

superfrank
28/08/2009, 1:15 AM
Do you have a source for that, btid?

Dunny
28/08/2009, 1:16 AM
Do you have a source for that, btid?

http://www.derrycityfc.net/cityweb/Latest/statement-from-peter-hutton.html

thischarmingman
28/08/2009, 7:15 AM
Bad news, though not entirely unexpected. At the moment it's the players I feel sorry for, only receiving 25% of your expected wages is a huge blow to anyone's plans and finances.

A N Mouse
28/08/2009, 7:54 AM
Schoolboy spelling error there, he clearly meant "séances".

Why? He doesn't want to commune with dublin city!

While I feel sorry for the players; it is, as Candystripe has said, not unexpected. It is my fervent wish Derry City finish 4th, behind Cork City (preferably on goal difference, but they have even more problems scoring than us); St Pat's win the cup (though anyone except Bohs or Rovers will do) and that no sanctions - at least none that would preclude them from competing in Europe - are imposed on clubs finishing in the top three. This set of circumstances would, hopefully, induce some long term thinking. Or sense, if you will.

I predict - a similar thread about this time next year. :(

MariborKev
28/08/2009, 8:08 AM
As others have noted, not the news that you want to hear but zero suprise....

But apparently, those of us who predicted this are in the "Told you so brigade".

Mr_Parker
28/08/2009, 8:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/8226108.stm

RoversHead
28/08/2009, 8:43 AM
no sanctions - at least none that would preclude them from competing in Europe - are imposed on clubs finishing in the top three. This set of circumstances would, hopefully, induce some long term thinking. Or sense, if you will.

I predict - a similar thread about this time next year. :(
No, I think missing out on European football would be a better way of inducing those clubs who continue to make a mockery of our league to get their acts together .If a club cant pay their players then they are not fit to represent the league in European competition.

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 8:46 AM
No, I think missing out on European football would be a better way of inducing those clubs who continue to make a mockery of our league to get their acts together.
Didn't work for Cork this year.

75% is a massive cut.

RoversHead
28/08/2009, 9:06 AM
Didn't work for Cork this year.

75% is a massive cut.
How clubs react to sanctions is up to them but a no sanctions situation is not good and could allow a club thats run properly to be relegated in the same season in which another club which is run disgracefully is rewarded with prize money to dolly up thier accounts along with a Euro spot.

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 9:10 AM
Absolutely sanction them. But Cork showed this year that it doesn't necessarily make any impact.

(BTW, on MariborKev's point, I wonder where all the Derry fans are who suggested that it was common policy to not pay transfer fees for six months, or where dcfcsteve is who noted that Derry weren't fussed with such trifling amounts as E30k...? Interesting to hear from them today (for all the good it'll do))

OneRedArmy
28/08/2009, 9:11 AM
Not sure why there is a "now" in the thread title.

Its been mentioned on here repeatedly over the last 6 months that we were in trouble.

I'd thank Kenny for the memories and give him his marching orders and cut half of the professional players and give the young lads a run for the rest of the season.

What annoys me isn't the fact we ran into financial trouble, after all, most clubs have in some way or other in the last 12 months, but its the fact our Board buried their head in the sand and tried to spend their way out of it. In a real business I've seen similar situations end up in a charge of reckless trading.

OneRedArmy
28/08/2009, 9:12 AM
Absolutely sanction them. But Cork showed this year that it doesn't necessarily make any impact.

(BTW, on MariborKev's point, I wonder where all the Derry fans are who suggested that it was common policy to not pay transfer fees for six months, or where dcfcsteve is who noted that Derry weren't fussed with such trifling amounts as E30k...? Interesting to hear from them today (for all the good it'll do))I think you're playing somewhat fast and loose with the definition of "all the Derry fans".

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 9:15 AM
I meant "all the Derry fans who". I accept not all the Derry fans were like that; I'm wondering about the entire of those who were like that.

A N Mouse
28/08/2009, 9:17 AM
How clubs react to sanctions is up to them but a no sanctions situation is not good and could allow a club thats run properly to be relegated in the same season in which another club which is run disgracefully is rewarded with prize money to dolly up thier accounts along with a Euro spot.

And breathe!

Go back, read what I've written. Perhaps take a moment or two to think about what such a situation would mean for my club.

MariborKev
28/08/2009, 9:18 AM
I meant "all the Derry fans who". I accept not all the Derry fans were like that; I'm wondering about the entire of those who were like that.

They'll wait for the board statement and then repeat it ad nauseum.

RoversHead
28/08/2009, 9:52 AM
And breathe!

Go back, read what I've written. Perhaps take a moment or two to think about what such a situation would mean for my club.
Why should I when your board cant be botherd?...There is a solution ,organise and take your club back from these arse wipes .If ever another club could be taken over and run successfully by fans its DCFC yis used to love a bit of revelution up there.

Da Real Rover
28/08/2009, 10:32 AM
No, I think missing out on European football would be a better way of inducing those clubs who continue to make a mockery of our league to get their acts together .If a club cant pay their players then they are not fit to represent the league in European competition.
Spot on.

Ezeikial
28/08/2009, 10:37 AM
What annoys me isn't the fact we ran into financial trouble, after all, most clubs have in some way or other in the last 12 months, but its the fact our Board buried their head in the sand and tried to spend their way out of it. In a real business I've seen similar situations end up in a charge of reckless trading.

I think you have got to the core of the most pertinent reason for justifably anger for many fans.

Setting overly optimistic budgets which subsequently prove unsustainable may be folly or irresponsible (Derry, Cork, Bohs, Dundalk, and others), but the paralysis that prevents any timely corrective action in the majority of cases sticks in the craw.

dcfcsteve
28/08/2009, 11:47 AM

(BTW, on MariborKev's point, I wonder where all the Derry fans are who suggested that it was common policy to not pay transfer fees for six months, or where dcfcsteve is who noted that Derry weren't fussed with such trifling amounts as E30k...? Interesting to hear from them today (for all the good it'll do))

I'm here honey !! Glad to hear you're missing me.... :D

Now where did I describe E30K as a trifling sum ? :confused:

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 12:19 PM
Nobody'd ever miss you, steve.

However, here (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1054392&postcount=54) you are describing E30k as a "relatively minor sum", and here (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1054554&postcount=118) you belittle the amount, saying that one of your draw sellers would bring it in himself. He'd want to get cracking...

(If those links don't work, go to the post beforehand. Quirk of foot.ie means I can't link certain posts...)

Umberside
28/08/2009, 12:28 PM
Good luck Derry and fair play to keeping things in order longer than the rest of us. We've been on the verge extinction twice in a year, but from what I can remember Derry haven't had serious problems since 2001, which in a league like this, is remarkable.

dcfcsteve
28/08/2009, 12:35 PM
Nobody'd ever miss you, steve.

Didn't stop you demanding my presence today though ! :D It can be our little secret Stu.....

However, here (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1054392&postcount=54) you are describing E30k as a "relatively minor sum", and here (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1054554&postcount=118) you belittle the amount, saying that one of your draw sellers would bring it in himself. He'd want to get cracking...

(If those links don't work, go to the post beforehand. Quirk of foot.ie means I can't link certain posts...)

The links don't work, I can't see any way to check posts prior to those, and as I'm catching a train in 90mins I'm not going to trawl back.

The Dream Drsaw did raise something like £100k for the club (other can clarify the actual sum).

Given our club's monthly outgongs have apparently been almost three times that E30k sum, at approx 3% of our entire annual outgoings I think it wouldn be fair to describe it as a relatively small sum. That doesn't mean it was to be sniffed at - no sum is for Irish football - but we've had bigger financial fish to lose sleep over for the last 6 months.

Though such sums do indeed all add up.

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 12:42 PM
At least you negated the need for the links to work by putting it in your post again.

In the thread in question, you more or less poo-pooed my suggestion that this outcome was inevitable. That's all.

dcfcsteve
28/08/2009, 12:44 PM
At least you negated the need for the links to work by putting it in your post again.

In the thread in question, you more or less poo-pooed my suggestion that this outcome was inevitable. That's all.

I do like winding you UCD kids up Stu..... :D

Copy and paste it over then so I can see it, as I suspect you're liberally interpreting something I said.

pineapple stu
28/08/2009, 12:48 PM
Last post on this, cos the info is there for you -

I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't overspending massively yourselves this season.

Define "massively"....?

Owing a few clubs what are relatively minor sums in Irish football does not equate to "massively".

and

€30k is not a "massive" sum of money in Irish football

The last is interesting, as you sniff at an amount you say today is not to be sniffed at.

Rovers1
28/08/2009, 12:49 PM
Wa-ter you on about?

Flexy
28/08/2009, 2:09 PM
Steve any reason why the board have been very quiet about this statement from Peter Hutton,

marinobohs
28/08/2009, 2:14 PM
Dundalk now Derry... the bad news keeps in this League coming. Not surprised that given the economic collapse in the country that clubs are in trouble budget wise to be honest. at least it is positive that the derry fans are no longer moaning about clubs buying Leagues with money they don't have. the high moral ground just got a little less high

Umberside
28/08/2009, 2:17 PM
Dundalk now Derry... the bad news keeps in this League coming.

Though there's been very little in the papers surrounding this. The good thing is the clubs are sorting this out before it gets even worse than it could possibly become.

MariborKev
28/08/2009, 2:18 PM
Umberside, it was released after the print deadlines.

Umberside
28/08/2009, 2:20 PM
Umberside, it was released after the print deadlines.

Oh, that explains it :rolleyes: God I'm really stupid.

Dunny
28/08/2009, 2:20 PM
It was also in the papers about us.

Umberside
28/08/2009, 2:21 PM
It was also in the papers about us.

Nowhere as near as much as us though.

marinobohs
28/08/2009, 2:21 PM
Though there's been very little in the papers surrounding this. The good thing is the clubs are sorting this out before it gets even worse than it could possibly become.

Yep hopefully the "Premiership" will keep our soccer loving journos busy for the foreseeable future. It would be nice though to go a week or two just concentrating on matters ON the pitch :) (perhaps that is the niche market the League can be sold on - never a dull moment in the LOI, more fun off the pitch than on it)

Dunny
28/08/2009, 2:22 PM
Nowhere as near as much as us though.

Well obviously...

Umberside
28/08/2009, 2:28 PM
Well obviously...

Not sure how it's so obvious Dunny. It's been pretty bad in both situations.

Dunny
28/08/2009, 2:30 PM
Our players have taken a 15% pay cut. Your club nearly went to the wall. Court date's etc. It's kind of obvious why there was more coverage of Cork's situation rather than ours or Derry's. No?

Umberside
28/08/2009, 2:39 PM
Our players have taken a 15% pay cut. Your club nearly went to the wall. Court date's etc. It's kind of obvious why there was more coverage of Cork's situation rather than ours or Derry's. No?

It might be our own making. I've never heard the chairman of Dundalk talk about the situation to RTÉ or receive death threats and the like from fans. It's fair to say that down here we over-react.

SkStu
28/08/2009, 2:56 PM
there has to be a solution that works for all clubs - this licensing isnt preventing this stuff. Its been a failure. Sanctioning up to 5 clubs will serve the league no good (cue justifiable outrage from Shels fans)... we are on the verge of success in Europe as a league - there has to be a way out of this...

rivalries aside, i wish Derry well and hope that they can pull through - pettiness and point scoring aside ;) , this is just no good for the league be it Cork, Bohs, Dundalk, Derry or anyone.

MariborKev
28/08/2009, 2:59 PM
rivalries aside, i wish Derry well and hope that they can pull through - pettiness and point scoring aside ;)

There will always be a Derry City.

However the warning signs for this have been here for months and as ORA says, the board response has been the head in sand philosophy

No later than the start of June we had a public meeting, where board members said we weren't in financial difficulties.

Hopefully this will lead to an end to the madness, but I won't be holding my breath.

GalwayRed
28/08/2009, 3:15 PM
there has to be a solution that works for all clubs - this licensing isnt preventing this stuff. Its been a failure. Sanctioning up to 5 clubs will serve the league no good (cue justifiable outrage from Shels fans)... we are on the verge of success in Europe as a league - there has to be a way out of this...
The licensing thing has definitly been a failure. Ive heard this a few times off people about how close we are to a breakthrough in europe and I would hate to think all that was for nothing but if sanctioning 5 teams is the only way to wake them up then thats what has to happen. It might make the league weaker, it might mean theres no breakthrough in europe just yet but at least the clubs would be more sustainable. I cant see another way around this other than sanctioning these clubs. We were sanctioned and fairly so if you ask me and we cut our cloth. We're by no means the most financially secure team in the league but we're a lot stronger for it. It has to be the same for other clubs. Besides theres no reason why Rovers cant have a go next year and make a breakthrough in the europa league with a sustainable budget.
I dont want to see any club in the league to go bust but the way some clubs go about their business in this league means its no wonder theyre in such a mess.
Good luck to Bohs, Cork, Derry , Dundalk and whoever else are in trouble at the moment but there has to be sanctions.

Ezeikial
28/08/2009, 4:02 PM
Not sure how it's so obvious Dunny. It's been pretty bad in both situations.

Please don't start this "my Daddy is better then your Daddy" stuff!

gufct
28/08/2009, 4:15 PM
Were all in trouble lads bar Shamrock Rovers. Anyone else that thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. Until the question of Players wages,bonuses and signing on fees are sorted the league will still be in ****e.

sligoman
28/08/2009, 4:17 PM
Were all in trouble lads bar Shamrock Rovers. Anyone else that thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land. Until the question of Players wages,bonuses and signing on fees are sorted the league will still be in ****e.Any thread about a club in trouble you say the exact same thing, it's a little boring now:rolleyes:.

Da Real Rover
28/08/2009, 4:33 PM
Any thread about a club in trouble you say the exact same thing, it's a little boring now:rolleyes:.
Your snide remarks are growing even more boring.

A N Mouse
28/08/2009, 4:43 PM

rivalries aside, i wish Derry well and hope that they can pull through - pettiness and point scoring aside ;) , this is just no good for the league be it Cork, Bohs, Dundalk, Derry or anyone.

True, Licensing is not preventing this. But is it not the threat of losing their licence that is the cause of this? And is that not a good thing? [in the bigger picture]

Would we have had announcements from Derry, Bohs, Dundalk, Galway and Sligo (and whoever else) were it not for fear of sanction? Or, without that threat hanging over their heads, would they have kept throwing good money after bad until they were in the similar situations as Cork and Drogheda found themselves?

So to suggest looking for an alternate solution now we're starting to see its effects would be to grant, the clubs, licence :o to do as they pleased again.

SkStu
28/08/2009, 4:53 PM
True, Licensing is not preventing this. But is it not the threat of losing their licence that is the cause of this? And is that not a good thing? [in the bigger picture]

Would we have had announcements from Derry, Bohs, Dundalk, Galway and Sligo (and whoever else) were it not for fear of sanction? Or, without that threat hanging over their heads, would they have kept throwing good money after bad until they were in the similar situations as Cork and Drogheda found themselves?

So to suggest looking for an alternate solution now we're starting to see its effects would be to grant, the clubs, licence :o to do as they pleased again.

agree with you AN Mouse. Good points all. Each club must also share some of the blame. But this cycle is just going to keep on repeating itself (Rovers will be next for the climb and then the inevitable fall) and it will always be a case of one step forward, two steps back until a workable, effective licensing system is introduced. Or until contracts are centralised within the FAI. Im no expert and dont have the answers but i would hate to see the good progress of Derry, Pats, Bohs, Cork etc in Europe halted. Rovers will canter to the title next season - i cant see any challengers - and i dont think that will do us any good either. :(

edit: as i said i am no expert but compare Bohs budget with that of RB Salzburg. We were a whisker away from progressing against a team with a budget of e25m-30m per season!! There is no way we can aspire to have such budgets (duh) but we are still competitive - that speaks volumes. The FAI should be lobbying the Government to introduce measures to make investment in local football teams finacially attractive to successful businessmen (though we're probably about a year to late for that to be viable). I dont know, i just thought id throw it out there.

Ezeikial
28/08/2009, 5:12 PM

I agree that the licencing system is obviously having some positive impact, even if it has not yet sufficiently moderated the "win or bust" model.

IMO it is even more imperative now that the FAI fully implement the current rules (65% rule, tax complaince, player wage fulfillment etc) without fear or favour. Indeed there is a strong argument for the next step of tighter and further regulation to follow full implementation.

Any fudge on implementation by the FAI will completely shatter any integrity that exists regarding regulation.