PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about S O'Flynn's attitude

Counting Crow
07/02/2004, 8:34 AM
If the reports about this guy are true, that he is holding out for just a 1 year deal, then IMO we should stear clear of him.

He sounds like a mercenary ( aka Reynolds ) and certainly will only be thinking of himself throughout the season.

Can you imagine the tantrums if he doesn't get a game ( highly likely with Fennand his namesake ahead of him.

He should take a leaf out of the books of Georgie and the real Flynny and sign for 2 years min - remeber City will put him in the shop window if he has the right attitude. He's not fit to clean their boots yet so less of the celebrity crap.

Makes you wonder why we got rid of him in the first place.......in fairness to Gunther he knew talent when he saw it and dumped this guy.

We only want players who believe in our club - look at Doyler, Flynny, Georgie, Murray, Coughlan, C T O'Brien etc etc etc.

No more Reynolds please.

Troy.McClure
07/02/2004, 1:34 PM
I agree. I think that he knows that there would be a chance that Aberdeen would come back for him, but not be willing to pay a fee for him. Anyway, all players should be signed on a minimum of 2 years if they are any good so they dont walk like Reynolds.

Counting Crow
07/02/2004, 3:11 PM
Crap my ar$e.

If he's so worried about rotting in the reserves then don't sign - but don't use us as a stepping stone.........like Reynolds did.

As for Coughlan, it wasn't the money that made him move. It was a falling out with Gunther.

Whatever people think of him as a player, the guy is City through and through.

Fair enough we shouldn't brand the guy before he even kicks a ball, but come on it's obvious he ain't planning on being around for a "testimonial".

I agree with Troy.McClure, we should always insist on a minimum of 2 years and get some payback from players.

patsh
07/02/2004, 3:58 PM
Good points, Crow.
O'Flynn either does what is right for him and City, or takes the escalator down to the depths of Incichore......

RedX
07/02/2004, 4:09 PM
I have to say i agree that City should not sign anyone that is unwilling to sign at least a two year deal.Its important he shows some sort of commitment to a club paying his wages...

tiktok
07/02/2004, 4:23 PM
i absolutely hate the way we rip players apart before they've even signed.
Flynny2 's career is on the up, he's simply anxious he'll spend two season's on the bench, wanting a 1yr deal is silly but it shows he's not here for cash, but to play.
but how this info get out, Dolan and the club should know better than to release details while negotiating, it's not going to give a player with any reservations confidence in the way we do business.
i think it's daft to suggest he doesn't want to play for us when it's clear he stalled Pats to wait for our offer.
lets wait until we see his commitment first hand before we write him off.

Counting Crow
08/02/2004, 10:48 AM
I hate to say this tiktok, but this info came from the player himself - not Dolan and Co.

He said he was going for a 2 year deal but stopped, and having discussed it with his family and friends wants a 1 year deal now.

The guy is stalling and I for one am not impressed. If it's good enough for Fenn, George etc who have proved themselves then it should be good enough for a guy who hasn't proved himself yet.

If he's so into City then why hasn't he signed by now.......... this is going on for weeks.

You'd swear he was Ronaldo!

thecorner
08/02/2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
I hate to say this tiktok, but this info came from the player himself - not Dolan and Co.

He said he was going for a 2 year deal but stopped, and having discussed it with his family and friends wants a 1 year deal now.

The guy is stalling and I for one am not impressed. If it's good enough for Fenn, George etc who have proved themselves then it should be good enough for a guy who hasn't proved himself yet.

If he's so into City then why hasn't he signed by now.......... this is going on for weeks.

You'd swear he was Ronaldo!

have to agree here

wasnt he also stalling even signing for city while he was montioring the aberdeen situation

DolansWaistcoat
08/02/2004, 1:33 PM
I don't know much about flynn2,but I don't really blame him for wanting to look after his own career.We already have Jof,Georgie,Fenn,Doyler,Behan and Nolan,plus Cp O'brien is still around somewhere I think,all these players can play up front for us and Flynn2 knows this and I wouldn't blame him for wanting a 1 year deal if things don't work out for him and he dosen't want to be in the reserves for two years.

Hopully he's thinking that if things do work out and he gets a regular place that City will be the club for him and he'll sign on again next year and not that he can use us like Ratnelds to get a move to one of the 'big' Pale clubs.I agree that we don't want another situation like that.

The fact is we don't know what is going on in Flynn2's head and we can't start tearing into him before he's even in the door.

Gary
08/02/2004, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by DolansWaistcoat
We already have Jof,Georgie,Fenn,Doyler,Behan and Nolan,plus Cp O'brien is still around somewhere

Id say we can safely say that Doyler is now a right winger, and emergency striker. Either Fenn or George will be moved into midfield, and again used as an emergency striker. Behan cant seriously be a first teamer of an ambitious team (yet!), CP hasnt produced the goods in quite a while now, and Nolan hasnt been given too much of an oppurtunity yet. So to say we are top heavy with strikers is a bit off the mark.

Ideally the starting 2 will be J o Flynn and George/Fenn, with Nolan or S O Flynn next in line.

If he only wants a one yr deal, so what? The fact that Gunther is still lurking about the place obviously worries him.

razor
09/02/2004, 9:22 AM
Crap my ar$e.

That is usually the case :D

Fair enough we shouldn't brand the guy before he even kicks a ball, but come on it's obvious he ain't planning on being around for a "testimonial".

I can see valid points on both sides of this argument.
On one hand the club must look out for the club and the player must look out for himself.
There aren't many players hanging around anywhere for testimonials these days.
I mean it could work both ways, If he turns out to be crap then a 1 year deal might suit the club but if he is excellent then 2 years might be a better deal. Its hard to say.

I would be very glad to see Stephen sign as I think he got a bit of a raw deal in his first spell with us.
Give the boy a chance.

thecorner
09/02/2004, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by SuperKev
And i suppose you d do any different. Most stupid post in ages by you

i wouldnt say that aberdeen are a bigger club than city

wasnt that proved in europe a couple of seasons back

so.........not a stupid post:p

joeSoap
09/02/2004, 3:00 PM
I've known Steven for around 1 1/2 years now, and can honestly say he's grown up a lot in that time. He didn't get it all his own way at Limerick at the start either ( Noel O'Connor played him as a left winger for a while which he wasn't too happy about), but he put his head down and got on with it. His problems with Gunther were well documented at the time, and while Gunther is still at the club and given his past experiences, I think he's right to look at one year initially.
Cork City FC is a football club, not a religious sanctuary where all players signing have to devote their entire lives to it. Life goes on outside of Cork believe it or not, and remember, ye went looking for him, not the other way around.He is an excellent left footed striker, with an outstanding future ahead of him and he will be guided by an excellent combination in Dolan and O'Connor.He could be very instrumental in ye winning the league this season. Leave the boy alone, support him rather than try and knock him, and I'll bet ye'll be pleasantly surprised with the results he'll get ye.

razor
09/02/2004, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by joeSoap
I've known Steven for around 1 1/2 years now, and can honestly say he's grown up a lot in that time. He didn't get it all his own way at Limerick at the start either ( Noel O'Connor played him as a left winger for a while which he wasn't too happy about), but he put his head down and got on with it. His problems with Gunther were well documented at the time, and while Gunther is still at the club and given his past experiences, I think he's right to look at one year initially.
Cork City FC is a football club, not a religious sanctuary where all players signing have to devote their entire lives to it. Life goes on outside of Cork believe it or not, and remember, ye went looking for him, not the other way around.He is an excellent left footed striker, with an outstanding future ahead of him and he will be guided by an excellent combination in Dolan and O'Connor.He could be very instrumental in ye winning the league this season. Leave the boy alone, support him rather than try and knock him, and I'll bet ye'll be pleasantly surprised with the results he'll get ye.
Agree 110%, I think the lad will be a great addition.

tiktok
09/02/2004, 3:48 PM
Spot on JoeSoap.

By the way, that's the way my response should have read :D

Gary
09/02/2004, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by joeSoap

Best, most sensible post Ive seen in a long time on this board. Some of these "greater than thou" City fans are really getting on my man tits at this point.

Welcome back Stevo.

thecorner
09/02/2004, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by SuperKev
Just because Bohs beat them once doesnt mean that we can turn around and beat them every time we feel like it. Anyway that was around four years ago. The fact is Scottish football is of a higher standard. Live with it. And any player in the eircom league is bound to be interested in taking the chance to move abroad. So it is a stupid point

the standard of scottish football might have risen but noit with aberdeen

werent they almost relegated last season

id fancy our chances against them,not a bother

Colm
09/02/2004, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
the standard of scottish football might have risen but noit with aberdeen

werent they almost relegated last season

id fancy our chances against them,not a bother

I agree.
Any player who would move to Scotland at this moment in time would be a fool. Every club in the SPL is in serious financial trouble.
I was reading an interview with that Henrik Larsson fella last week and he said that if Scottish football was in the state it's in now when he signed for Celtic he would have gone elsewhere.
He said he's getting out at the right time and that he seriously fears for the future of the Scottish league.

O'Flynn would have been stupid to sign for Aberdeen. That said, maybe he was a fool to sign for us aswell as I can't see him getting anywhere near the team. From his own career perspective Pats would probably have been the best move for him as he'd be almost certain of a starting place there.
Still, I'd rather we have him here where he can't score any goals against us!

On the length of contract, surely if Georgie and co are willing to commit to us for 2 years+, then Stephen O'Flynn should be too.

Counting Crow
09/02/2004, 8:40 PM
OK, I started all this off by expressing my concern about the lads commitment......( only time will tell on this one )......

.....so now that he has signed up I will call a truce and give the guy my full backing for the season.

If he works out and is a success, then fantastic. The opinion from those who know him better than me is that he is a good player and will be an asset to us - so that is good enough for me.

Here's hoping you bag another 14 goals this season "Flynny2".

Welcome aboard the "gravy train".

thecorner
15/02/2004, 5:34 PM
just found this on an eirways archive from 31/05/01

O’Flynn told the Echo: “I am still young enough to make a go of it in cross channel football in two or three years time and that’s the plan.”

this from stephen o flynn

full link
http://www.eirways.com/citynet/archives/2001/5/31/oflynn-set-for-intertoto-game/

Gary
15/02/2004, 5:38 PM
And whats wrong with that????

patsh
15/02/2004, 5:55 PM
Did he sign for 1 year or 2?

one_bounce
15/02/2004, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
just found this on an eirways archive from 31/05/01

O’Flynn told the Echo: “I am still young enough to make a go of it in cross channel football in two or three years time and that’s the plan.”

this from stephen o flynn

full link
http://www.eirways.com/citynet/archives/2001/5/31/oflynn-set-for-intertoto-game/

in fairness all of our young players should have that attitude... no harm having ambition.... and think of the few seasons city will get out of them if they they do make the grade
john has stated many times hes going back if the right offer comes in

Éanna
16/02/2004, 9:30 AM
Having seen the guy play for limerick several times since he left city, I am glad we signed him. I don't think he's gonna be guaranteed a start every week, but I'd really rather we had him than anyone else. he's a good player with a lot of potential and he's from Cork- of course he should be at city. And I have no worries about his attitude- hard to blame him for being a bit wary that gunther is still around IMO!!!

razor
17/02/2004, 7:20 AM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
And by all accounts he has done very well in the two friendlies thus far so give the guy a break. Would be interesting to see if he could adopt as a left winger as I think Kearney has alot to prove in that area yet.

Intersting to read Dolan in the Echo today by saying that he feels nobody in the team is guaranteed a starting place and he only wants to sign quality players. the competition should be good!

This Sunday should tell a lot, its the first competitive game and means he won't be able to sub the whole team at half time.