22/08/2009, 7:50 PM
Three Questions:

:When is it opening?

:What will happen to Finn Park?

:Is there any pictures of it?

Thanks

the-blue-harp
23/08/2009, 12:38 AM
this may help you in your quest for the truth...

http://www.finnharps.com/Stadium.htm

kev mcq
23/08/2009, 12:46 AM
Three Questions:

:When is it opening? Never

:What will happen to Finn Park? Nothing

:Is there any pictures of it? Yes

Thanks

IMO. There has been no work done on the site for about 6 months, I don't think it'll ever be built.

the-blue-harp
23/08/2009, 12:48 AM
very pessimistic there mr mcq! :ball:

MeathDrog
23/08/2009, 12:52 AM
this may help you in your quest for the truth...

http://www.finnharps.com/Stadium.htm
It looks in better condition than Finn Park.

the-blue-harp
23/08/2009, 12:55 AM
It looks in better condition than Finn Park.

paint those red containers blue and its a dead ringer...

your one to chat, i was saw united park on tg4 on friday night, its not that far off finn park!!:D

dcfc1928
23/08/2009, 1:03 AM
Seriously though, I was in Ballybofey today, no sign of any progress. I know the economic climate may have affected the developer but has it stopped progress on the stadium, I sincerely hope it hasn't and Finn Harps get their new ground asap. If true six months is a long time for there to be no work carried out.

Sam_Heggy
23/08/2009, 9:27 AM
While our club is indeed a total and utter shambles, the Stadium is going to be completed. Problems is, as the stadium is Grant funded, the developer will not continue until he gets his first down payment which is still not released by the government.

I think the plan is to have it open for the 2012 season, it was to be a hell of alot earlier but if the funding is going to be delayed so much everytime then that will seriously slow down developments.

Finn Park will be handed over to the developer after "New Finn Park" is completed. He plans to build apartments or some such on the site.

The stadium will be completed, the only question is whether there will be a club or not by completion when the current dictarors are through with it.

brianw82
23/08/2009, 11:37 AM
While our club is indeed a total and utter shambles, the Stadium is going to be completed. Problems is, as the stadium is Grant funded, the developer will not continue until he gets his first down payment which is still not released by the government.

I think the plan is to have it open for the 2012 season, it was to be a hell of alot earlier but if the funding is going to be delayed so much everytime then that will seriously slow down developments.

Finn Park will be handed over to the developer after "New Finn Park" is completed. He plans to build apartments or some such on the site.

The stadium will be completed, the only question is whether there will be a club or not by completion when the current dictarors are through with it.

And that's exactly what has the country in the state it's in. Apartment blocks/shopping centres in pokey wee towns like Balleybofey that nobody wants or needs.

dcfcsteve
23/08/2009, 11:44 AM

From reading your own words here Sam, I wouldn't be anywhere near as optimistic as you are that there will be a stadium.

Firstly - as you say, it's dependent upon grant funding which hasn't come through yet. Given the state of the country, I wouldn't expect to receive a penny of funding until it hits the bank account.

Secondly - as you state, the project is dependent upon the developer building and selling new properties on the old stadium site. As we all know, the Irish property market is fcuked at the moment, and there's no indication as to when it will improve. Any scheme dependent upon the sale of unbuilt property - doubtless using income figures calculated back in the days before the boom went fully bust - should be viewed with scepticism.

Thirdly - you state 2012 as a completion time-scale. That is a hugely long time-span for something as simple as building a small stadium that already has planning permission, site clearance etc. The longer the project drags on the more exposed the developer is etc etc etc.

So even from reading what you yourself have said, I can't see why you can be anywhere near so confident that the stadium will be built.

On the club itself - do they own the stadium ? If so - if the club goes, what would happen to the site ?

Dillonman
23/08/2009, 11:45 AM
Is that not a swimming pool in those pictures?!:D

Sam_Heggy
23/08/2009, 9:12 PM
From reading your own words here Sam, I wouldn't be anywhere near as optimistic as you are that there will be a stadium.

Firstly - as you say, it's dependent upon grant funding which hasn't come through yet. Given the state of the country, I wouldn't expect to receive a penny of funding until it hits the bank account.

Secondly - as you state, the project is dependent upon the developer building and selling new properties on the old stadium site. As we all know, the Irish property market is fcuked at the moment, and there's no indication as to when it will improve. Any scheme dependent upon the sale of unbuilt property - doubtless using income figures calculated back in the days before the boom went fully bust - should be viewed with scepticism.

Thirdly - you state 2012 as a completion time-scale. That is a hugely long time-span for something as simple as building a small stadium that already has planning permission, site clearance etc. The longer the project drags on the more exposed the developer is etc etc etc.

So even from reading what you yourself have said, I can't see why you can be anywhere near so confident that the stadium will be built.

On the club itself - do they own the stadium ? If so - if the club goes, what would happen to the site ?

To be perfectly honest, unless we have radical changes at our club none of your first 4 points will be in anyway relevent very shortly.

The last point, Harps own the ground (it was signed over by the trustee's but it's complicated).

Sam_Heggy
23/08/2009, 9:14 PM
Is that not a swimming pool in those pictures?!:D

Amazing observation, someone must have put up pictures of a swimming pool rather than a building site, crazy stuff.

peadar1987
23/08/2009, 10:09 PM
Amazing observation, someone must have put up pictures of a swimming pool rather than a building site, crazy stuff.

Frankly, I'm amazed nobody noticed this earlier!

dcfcsteve
23/08/2009, 10:59 PM
To be perfectly honest, unless we have radical changes at our club none of your first 4 points will be in anyway relevent very shortly.

The last point, Harps own the ground (it was signed over by the trustee's but it's complicated).

That was my point Sam.

If Harps own the current stadium and their future is financially uncertain, then there may not even be a stadium to do a land-swap for (as I'm sure you grasp anyway). Even if there was, I personally wouldn't put a lot of faith in the new stadium, based purely on what you've said here yourself.

CuanaD
24/08/2009, 10:22 AM
And that's exactly what has the country in the state it's in. Apartment blocks/shopping centres in pokey wee towns like Balleybofey that nobody wants or needs.But, if the developer can't get his hands on the land till 2012, then the appartments probably won't be built till 2014 - & they should be needed by then

dcfcsteve
24/08/2009, 1:07 PM
But, if the developer can't get his hands on the land till 2012, then the appartments probably won't be built till 2014 - & they should be needed by then

Firstly - from your model, if the properties won't be built until 2014, where does the developer get the millions needed in the meantime to a build a new stadium and then build new properties ?

Secondly - a large chunk of the Irish property boom of the last 10 years was pure bubble. Borrowed money chasing properties to make a short-term capital gain, because other people with borrowed money were chasing those same properties a year or two down the line to make a short-term capital gain, because other people with borrowed money..... . A self-feeding mechanism based on readily available cheap credit, wild optimism regarding a rainbow of prices, and a fundamental lack of understanding of the cyclical nature of markets.

That situation will most definitely not be replicated again anywhere near 2014 People aren't queuing up to live in Ballybofey, and certainly not at the prices that the original calculations for flats at Finn Park were most probably computed on. Meanwhile, the steady growth in the country's population that helped to underpin some of the property market growth has ground to a halt, emigration has begun again, and credit has completely dried up.

So no - there won't be a need for these properties in 2014. It's arguable if there ever was a need for them when they were first planned anyway.

the-blue-harp
24/08/2009, 2:01 PM
the grant money builds the stadium not the developers money.

Umberside
24/08/2009, 2:02 PM

Either way it's unlikely you'll get it unfortunately :(

dcfcsteve
24/08/2009, 3:01 PM

Apologies - I stand corrected.

So - which part of the technically bankrupt government finances is the grant being supplied from....? ;)

Sam_Heggy
24/08/2009, 3:46 PM

So - which part of the technically bankrupt government finances is the grant being supplied from....? ;)

Maybe we should have applied to the British Government too?

OneRedArmy
24/08/2009, 4:04 PM
Maybe we should have applied to the British Government too?Unfortunately you are technically on the West Bank of the Foyle, ergo the same bigots in Stormount who denied Derry City money for the Brandywell would probably do the same to you :D

Finlay Harp
24/08/2009, 4:38 PM
Harps and City could do a groundshare and build the stadium in Burt!;)

OneRedArmy
24/08/2009, 4:43 PM
Harps and City could do a groundshare and build the stadium in Burt!;)
I always thought that would've been a great plan for Harps and Derry in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger. We would've got bucketloads of grant money from either side of the border and the American's would've been all over it with their peace and reconciliation dividend.

We could've put half the stadium each side of the border with the halfway line straddling it. Much like Slab Murphy, when the Revenue came calling from the North, everyone on the Derry City side could cross order to the Southern side of the ground and vice versa when the Revenue Commissioners called in on Harps. Meanwhile a very profitable car and diesel smuggling operation could use the under-pitch tunnel providing a solid ongoing revenue stream for both clubs.

Its exactly this kind of strategic forward thinking thats sadly lacking in the League...........:D

Umberside
24/08/2009, 4:45 PM
I always thought that would've been a great plan for Harps and Derry in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger. We would've got bucketloads of grant money from either side of the border and the American's would've been all over it with their peace and reconciliation dividend.

We could've put half the stadium each side of the border with the halfway line straddling it. Much like Slab Murphy, when the Revenue came calling from the North, everyone on the Derry City side could cross order to the Southern side of the ground and vice versa when the Revenue Commissioners called in on Harps. Meanwhile a very profitable car and diesel smuggling operation could use the under-pitch tunnel providing a solid ongoing revenue stream for both clubs.

Its exactly this kind of strategic forward thinking thats sadly lacking in the League...........:D

You really are an Evil Greedy Bankster ;)

dcfcsteve
24/08/2009, 9:00 PM
Maybe we should have applied to the British Government too?

Nahh - you'd get nothing from that lot.

Though you could have applied to the Northern Irish government instead like we did .. ;)

Finlay Harp
24/08/2009, 10:04 PM
Thatcher built your floodlights;)

Umberside
24/08/2009, 10:44 PM
Hopefully the stadium will be built :o

the-blue-harp
24/08/2009, 10:55 PM
Either way it's unlikely you'll get it unfortunately :(

i know what your saying and your scepticism is valid enough with the way things are, but contracts have been signed and money has been allocated for the build, it will go ahead. it might take a little longer but i assure you the stadium will be built.

So - which part of the technically bankrupt government finances is the grant being supplied from....?

i know you would all be only too happy for the whole thing to fall on its arse but the stadium build is still firmly on, and until anybody hears otherwise officially you can give your take on it all you want.

some day you will arrive at our state of the art stadium and **** your wee panties with jealousy so get over it lad :D

Umberside
24/08/2009, 10:58 PM
One thing though, wouldn't 6,800 seats make it bigger than Tallaght?

cheech
24/08/2009, 11:00 PM
It isn't going to be apartments. Really don't know how you all came up with that!

The reason why the ground was worth so much was because the area was re-zoned and Finn Park will be the new town centre.

There is going to be a shopping centre incorporated in a new town square. Either Lidl, Aldi or Tescos are already in place as anchor tenants.

The same developer is busy building another large office complex in Stranorlar.

Umberside
24/08/2009, 11:08 PM
It isn't going to be apartments. Really don't know how you all came up with that!

The reason why the ground was worth so much was because the area was re-zoned and Finn Park will be the new town centre.

There is going to be a shopping centre incorporated in a new town square. Either Lidl, Aldi or Tescos are already in place as anchor tenants.

The same developer is busy building another large office complex in Stranorlar.

Ballybofey reminds me of Dingle a lot, because the only things there were a load of pubs and a tourist office.

the-blue-harp
24/08/2009, 11:14 PM
Ballybofey reminds me of Dingle a lot, because the only things there were a load of pubs and a tourist office.

there are plenty of things in ballybofey! mostly traffic congestion though!

Umberside
24/08/2009, 11:24 PM
there are plenty of things in ballybofey! mostly traffic congestion though!

Stranorlar is pretty much in Ballybofey (or else the other way around), don't know why they don't join up and become Stranbofey or Ballynorlar?

dcfcsteve
24/08/2009, 11:47 PM
Thatcher built your floodlights;)

Sky built everyone else's in the league, ya bunch of feckin bar stoolers..... :D

P.S. Is there electricity in Donegal....? :confused:

i know you would all be only too happy for the whole thing to fall on its arse but the stadium build is still firmly on, and until anybody hears otherwise officially you can give your take on it all you want.

Well you know wrong then BH, as Harps are my second team and I'm keen to see the club doing well and back in the Premier. If I'm at home when Harps are playing and City aren't I'll always head down to Finn Park for the game. I also used to take great pleasure in wearing a Finn Harps scarf to school in Derry as a kid for a bit of craic.

Some City fans can see past the whole sham rivalry thing you see..... ;)

Except people consciously chose to go to Dingle in large numbers.

And it's got a dolphin.

Though I think I once spied a special brown trout floating down the River Finn.......

John83
26/08/2009, 4:29 PM

We could've put half the stadium each side of the border with the halfway line straddling it.
Sure, and have the British government deny visas to any non EU nationals planning to cross the half way line? :o

northwestexile
27/08/2009, 10:50 AM
Sky built everyone else's in the league, ya bunch of feckin bar stoolers..... :D

P.S. Is there electricity in Donegal....? :confused:

Of course there is we just dont take it from the lampost outside the house like the muckers do