PDA

View Full Version : Things to make you go hmm.......

marinobohs
21/08/2009, 11:27 AM
While sneaking a free scan at the yesterdays tabloids last night I came across a couple of storys of LOI interest. Apols if they have been discussed elsewhere.
The first one was a press release by the (by now infamous) board at Bohs saying that the financial was improving (due mainly to fans efforts) and that the club was hopefull that we would finish within the 65% rule. Long way to go but happy days (although not for some here)

The second story that caught my eye was that Dundalk were asking their players to take a wage cut due to a drop off in income. Could it be that while Ezeikial and co were lecturing Bohs on our financial woes that everyone took their eye off the buiscut tin in Oriel ?

Dillonman
21/08/2009, 11:33 AM
While sneaking a free scan at the yesterdays tabloids last night I came across a couple of storys of LOI interest. Apols if they have been discussed elsewhere.
The first one was a press release by the (by now infamous) board at Bohs saying that the financial was improving (due mainly to fans efforts) and that the club was hopefull that we would finish within the 65% rule. Long way to go but happy days (although not for some here)

The second story that caught my eye was that Dundalk were asking their players to take a wage cut due to a drop off in income. Could it be that while Ezeikial and co were lecturing Bohs on our financial woes that everyone took their eye off the buiscut tin in Oriel ?

Everyone loves talking about Fundalk!:D

thischarmingman
21/08/2009, 11:55 AM
Any chance there could just be one "Dundalk and Bohemians' vaguely homoerotic obsession with one another" thread that this is all contained in?

L.T.F.C.
21/08/2009, 12:10 PM
the bohs and dundalk fans on here are collectively a bunch of idiots. all you seem to able to do is to make snide remarks and comments about the other. will you ever grow up you idiots... the rest of us are getting tired of this continued obsession with one another, which as thischarmingman said, is bordering on the homoerotic.

longfordjames
21/08/2009, 12:11 PM
ye do it on
www.orielweb.com (http://www.orielweb.com) or PMs

SeanDrog
21/08/2009, 12:21 PM
this isnt a drogs vs Dundalk thread (I will leave Bohs to take uo that batton :) )

My comment relates to the fact that Dundalk only signed a pile of players just over a month ago and within weeks are now (I presume) looking to renegotiate contracts.

Now it can be claimed financial prudence in addressing the cost base but the fact is that they only signed these deals a few weeks ago and this is the sticking point for me - very unfair on the players they signed as it can be argued that they signed them under false pretenses.

Now this critic applies to any club who does the same.

Dillonman
21/08/2009, 12:34 PM
the bohs and dundalk fans on here are collectively a bunch of idiots. all you seem to able to do is to make snide remarks and comments about the other. will you ever grow up you idiots... the rest of us are getting tired of this continued obsession with one another, which as thischarmingman said, is bordering on the homoerotic.

Well then can people please stop starting threads with the first post being about Dundalk or includes a remark re Dundalk!

A N Mouse
21/08/2009, 1:09 PM

I don't particularly want to responded to this wummery and oneupmanship, but...

...in this instance Dundalk seem to be taking a sensible measure, while bohs are merely putting it off 'til tomorrow, so they can claim their prize without sanction

marinobohs
21/08/2009, 1:11 PM
Well then can people please stop starting threads with the first post being about Dundalk or includes a remark re Dundalk!

I started a thread about two items I came across in yesterdays papers. They may / may not be true I was simply reporting them.
Do please let us know what subjects /teams you feel we can discuss as I was under the misunderstanding that this was an open forum.

WindmillWarrior
21/08/2009, 1:13 PM

Speak for yourself! I'm enjoying it all very much (Jebus, I probably need to get out more :eek: )

marinobohs
21/08/2009, 1:15 PM
I don't particularly want to responded to this wummery and oneupmanship, but...

...in this instance Dundalk seem to be taking a sensible measure, while bohs are merely putting it off 'til tomorrow, so they can claim their prize without sanction

Actually, Bohs are trying to comply with the 65% rule. As I stated this will make some idiots who have already been celebrating our demise very unhappy.
Of course it takes away another excuse for the Derry whingers that the reason they don't win things is because everyone else is cheating (See Shels previously)

WindmillWarrior
21/08/2009, 1:16 PM
Anyway, seems it is true. According to a D*ndalk fan on the Drogs forum the players met last night to discuss. No news from that meeting yet

dong
21/08/2009, 2:06 PM
Anyway, seems it is true. According to a D*ndalk fan on the Drogs forum the players met last night to discuss. No news from that meeting yet
If they cut out the overnight stays to places like Sligo they might be able to pay the wages.

brianw82
21/08/2009, 2:33 PM
If they cut out the overnight stays to places like Sligo they might be able to pay the wages.

This is foot.ie, take your sensible posting elsewhere. :p

osborne
21/08/2009, 2:43 PM
that the club was hopefull that we would finish within the 65% rule.

Were they not always hopeful of complying?

SkStu
21/08/2009, 2:44 PM

there are two threads in which Bohs fans and Dundalk fans have sniped at each other - the FAI Cup thread and the Bohs finances thread.

Each debate in these threads is worthy of discussion, some good, some bad and some WUMmery. Its a football forum, we are rivals, they have our former manager and former players of Bohs, they dont like us, we dont like them.

GET OVER IT.

*btw, its funny how a thread about the finances of Bohs or Cork gets into the 20's and 30's of pages with all sorts of accusations, counter-accusations and snide comments but utter something about Dundalk or someone else and people are complaining.

The Betting Man
21/08/2009, 2:59 PM
We are bohs

born to moan

A face
21/08/2009, 3:38 PM
*btw, its funny how a thread about the finances of Bohs or Cork gets into the 20's and 30's of pages with all sorts of accusations, counter-accusations and snide comments but utter something about Dundalk or someone else and people are complaining.

Nice observation there i have to say ;)

mcgonigle
21/08/2009, 4:03 PM
It's ok we found a way to get over our money troubles. We're selling Oriel, well most of it, we don't own the bit behind the goal

L.T.F.C.
21/08/2009, 4:17 PM
there are two threads in which Bohs fans and Dundalk fans have sniped at each other - the FAI Cup thread and the Bohs finances thread.

Each debate in these threads is worthy of discussion, some good, some bad and some WUMmery. Its a football forum, we are rivals, they have our former manager and former players of Bohs, they dont like us, we dont like them.
No they are not within an ass's roar worthy of discussion. you're all starting threads with the best of intentions, some not, but both of these threads have descending into a whinging match about the two teams. there are other teams in the cup yano, and Dundalk has nothing got to do with Bohs finances.

GET OVER IT.

Thats quite rich, seeing as either the supporters of bohs or dundalk have hijacked the threads to make about themselves!

SkStu
21/08/2009, 4:55 PM
No they are not within an ass's roar worthy of discussion. you're all starting threads with the best of intentions, some not, but both of these threads have descending into a whinging match about the two teams. there are other teams in the cup yano, and Dundalk has nothing got to do with Bohs finances.

you'd imagine that would be the case alright. Unfortunately no one has told them that.

I know there are other teams in the cup (Dundalk are not anymore) but there is nothing wrong with discussing the game and the bad conduct of players from both teams. It was Derry, Sligo and the ref the week before blah blah, its not a big deal, its part and parcel of message boards, i dont see why you have such an issue with it. I enjoy reading the sniping between the fans of other teams!

Thats quite rich, seeing as either the supporters of bohs or dundalk have hijacked the threads to make about themselves!

theres only one set of fans doing the hijacking. Why should Bohs fans sit back and allow Dundalk fans free reign to say what they like? We are not even the loudest set of fans on here by a long way. Sligo, Dundalk, Derry, Limerick and UCD fans seem to be the most vocal/opinionated in my opinion.

A N Mouse
21/08/2009, 8:21 PM
Actually, Bohs are trying to comply with the 65% rule. As I stated this will make some idiots who have already been celebrating our demise very unhappy.
Of course it takes away another excuse for the Derry whingers that the reason they don't win things is because everyone else is cheating (See Shels previously)

What are you doing?

Hiring more bar staff?

micls
21/08/2009, 9:11 PM
Did Dundalk not just sign a load of players?

Surely the club knew the situation a month ago?

Ridiculous to sign players and a few weeks later ask them to take paycuts

Candystripe
21/08/2009, 10:41 PM
Actually, Bohs are trying to comply with the 65% rule. )

Har har har.

So how many players have been released or put on transfers this window by Bohs?

If peole at boardroom level at Bohs tells you this often enough even you might start believing it.

And there was me thinking you had your eyes wide open. :eek:

A face
22/08/2009, 9:30 AM
So how many players have been released or put on transfers this window by Bohs?

Bohemians
Manager: Pat Fenlon
Ins

Outs
Adam McGarry (Kildare County)
Dean Marshall (Sligo Rovers)

Umberside
22/08/2009, 11:33 AM
Bohemians
Ins

Outs

They're hoping that the friendly with Liverpool will keep them below the 65% thing along with money from winning the league.

Ultimately Mark Rossiter has cost them.

A N Mouse
24/08/2009, 1:17 AM
So what are bohs doing?

In this thread we have been told they are hopeful (of meeting the cap).

And they are trying (to meet the cap).

Think we can assume they are also offering some words to apease their deity of choice in the matter. And of course we have had the requiste incantations about whinging derry/nordie feckers.

But what is actually being done? Assuming the efforts made now are rewarded with them meeting the 65% cap what happens next season? What players are out of contract? What players are going to take a second succesive pay cut? John Delaney had words to say in midweek about budgets, so presumably they aren't going to be allowed to budget for winning the league in advance again?

Incidently what are the appearences on television? Are bohs the only club to qualify for the extra money given for so many appearences on tv?

SkStu
24/08/2009, 1:32 AM
massive fund raising initiatives being undertaken by the club and members which have been extremely lucrative to date. Though aimed at getting us below the 65% for this season, these will be continued and further intiatives are being developed and will aim to bring a regular stream of funds into the club in the medium to long term. A visit to the bohemians site and messageboard will educate you further.

The Bohemians squad next year will likely be a very different squad - i would imagine over half the squad will be gone. Retaining our squad now is vital as winning the league is essential for us getting below the 65%, along with the other fundraising initiatives.

I think Bohs are the only team to have qualified for the bonus TV money so far, though that hasnt been mentioned and is just based on my vague recollection of how teams qualify for it.

As i have answered the questions genuinely and to the best of my ability can i throw the question back at Derry fans and ask how they are planning on coping financially next year and what plans the Derry board have to attract secure sponsorship and budget accurately?

dancinpants
24/08/2009, 3:23 AM
As i have answered the questions genuinely and to the best of my ability can i throw the question back at Derry fans and ask how they are planning on coping financially next year and what plans the Derry board have to attract secure sponsorship and budget accurately?

For a start we probably won't have a fully professional squad...hows that to start with? As for your "fund raising initiatives", its funny the way you speak of them as some new fangled idea - the majority of the rest of us have been doing it all season (and off season) every season for years. You may also visit the City website and forum to educate yourself further with regard the initiatives. With regard to sponsorship, I'm in no position to comment....as, well, I've no idea what the story is there.

SkStu
24/08/2009, 4:35 AM
so fair to say we both know about as much as each other then. But its fair to say that the league is going through one of those cycles again so every team should be and will be re-evaluating next year, up or down, and the cost/reward of first to seventh place.

For Bohs, i hope that on the pitch it will be a reduced squad that will involve a lot of our promising youngsters and seeing how competitive we can remain and off the pitch im confident (going on early signs) that the new board can steady the ship and develop a medium/long term strategy that will maximise all sources of income again.

marinobohs
24/08/2009, 10:01 AM

Really not sure how I "highjacked" the thread bearing in mind I started it. It was about two news articles I read and relating to issues discussed previously in different threads on this forum. in fact if anyone is coming on to "highjack" the thread it is yourself (but welcome all the same).

Incidentially the reason I started a seperate thread was (as I posted there) the FAI Cup thread was becoming too focused on Bohs/Dundalk. Presumably the thrwads about Cork and their finanacial woes were "highjacked" by Cork fans as well ?

MariborKev
24/08/2009, 10:31 AM

Good question.

99% of Derry fans are going with the "head in the sand" approach as pioneered by the Ostrich. See our message board for evidence of same.

Those that aren't are going "We need to cut wages by between 30%-40% and cut out a lot of the elements of a FT setup, as we can afford it".

Unfortunately the latter are derided as having an agenda against the board.

marinobohs
24/08/2009, 11:23 AM
Good question.

99% of Derry fans are going with the "head in the sand" approach as pioneered by the Ostrich. See our message board for evidence of same.

Those that aren't are going "We need to cut wages by between 30%-40% and cut out a lot of the elements of a FT setup, as we can afford it".

Unfortunately the latter are derided as having an agenda against the board.

Oh. My. God !!!!!!! This sounds so like Dalymount over the last few years that it is just scary :eek:.

Unfortunately I honestly don't see how any club here can do full time football and make it work financially (especially in the current structure). I suspect that over the next season or two that all clubs will revert to part time set ups.

davidatrb
25/08/2009, 2:19 PM
Bohemians
Ins

Outs

Who is Adam McGarry ?

Umberside
25/08/2009, 2:22 PM
Who is Adam McGarry ?

By all accounts he is a Kildare County player, but a look at your website and there's no mention of him.

passerrby
25/08/2009, 4:21 PM
spoke to a work mate from dundalk this morning who said the dundalk players were refusing any attempt to force a pay cut on them

Dunny
25/08/2009, 4:23 PM
spoke to a work mate from dundalk this morning who said the dundalk players were refusing any attempt to force a pay cut on them

The Board of Directors of Dundalk FC would like to inform our supporters that there has been a very positive outcome to a meeting between the Board and the players this afternoon (Tuesday) regarding our request to the squad to take a paycut for the remainder of the season. The Board have not been in a position to make any public comments on this situation due to the sensitive nature of the discussions, but a more general and detailed statement will be released by the club tomorrow afternoon.

SkStu
25/08/2009, 4:26 PM
The Board of Directors of Dundalk FC would like to inform our supporters that there has been a very positive outcome to a meeting between the Board and the players this afternoon (Tuesday) regarding our request to the squad to take a paycut for the remainder of the season. The Board have not been in a position to make any public comments on this situation due to the sensitive nature of the discussions, but a more general and detailed statement will be released by the club tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks Dunny. I would like to hear Ezeikial and Black and Whites take on this matter. Theyve been very silent over the last week or so.

redobit
25/08/2009, 4:42 PM
So what are bohs doing?

In this thread we have been told they are hopeful (of meeting the cap).

And they are trying (to meet the cap).

Think we can assume they are also offering some words to apease their deity of choice in the matter. And of course we have had the requiste incantations about whinging derry/nordie feckers.

But what is actually being done? Assuming the efforts made now are rewarded with them meeting the 65% cap what happens next season? What players are out of contract? What players are going to take a second succesive pay cut? John Delaney had words to say in midweek about budgets, so presumably they aren't going to be allowed to budget for winning the league in advance again?

Incidently what are the appearences on television? Are bohs the only club to qualify for the extra money given for so many appearences on tv?

Had put this is Bohs section put think its relevant here too:

The following is a portion of a letter/ leaflet given out at a Bohs match (EA semi final) with this wrote on it:

...“As you are aware, there is projected to be a considerable shortfall in the amount of income the club will have to earn in 2009 to remain within the 65% salary cap protocol. Sanction for breach of this protocol is relegation to the First Division”…

The letter goes on to raise a few different initiatives to avoid suffering the penalty (seat sponsorship, direct debit, Fantasy Football).

passerrby
25/08/2009, 5:15 PM
The letter goes on to raise a few different initiatives to avoid suffering the penalty (seat sponsorship, direct debit, Fantasy Football).

but is it not the last bit that caused the problem

A N Mouse
25/08/2009, 5:41 PM
but is it not the last bit that caused the problem

Yep - in an effort to raise some much needed revenue Bohs entered a load of teams in the competition in the sun.

Unfortunately they didn't win anything. This was attributed to Pat Fenlon, who was picking all the teams. Unable, due to a strict spending cap, to sign all the best players for one team he was further hampered by his inability to spot promising young players going on the cheap.

Ezeikial
26/08/2009, 9:24 AM

Thanks Dunny. I would like to hear Ezeikial and Black and Whites take on this matter. Theyve been very silent over the last week or so.

I’ll take you at your word SkStu, but if you are anticipating an unqualified defence of the Dundalk board here, I think you might be disappointed!

Gerry Mathews, the Dundalk CEO. has been a strong advocate of the club not having an end-of-season deficit. Part of the “checks and balances” system that he has installed has been the requirement that he and another director sign off on each individual player contract, and therefore each of the July signings was approved by the board.

The players signed during the transfer window were mostly replacements for players off-loaded previously (O’Callaghan, Singh, Rogers, O’Brien, and Sinott) – with little change in the original wage budget. The belief was that these signings were a necessity in order to maintain a competitive squad of circa 17-18 players.

Significantly, there are a number of events which have adversely affected Dundalk’s financial situation since the transfer window opened
Postponement of Barcelona and Celtic friendly matches,
Lower then anticipated gate for Atletico match.
Dave Rogers award
Elimination from FAI Cup

In my view, most of these factors could and should have been considered in the context of new player contracts during the transfer window, and the existing players should have been consulted about the possibility of wage cuts, prior to making these signings. Additionally it is wrong to offer contracts to new players without reference to possible pay cuts.

That said, it is not unreasonable to ask staff to take voluntary pay cuts where the employer is facing a financial deficit, and it is to the players credit if they have agreed to play their part in cutting costs.

The clubs statement due later today should provide further clarification

White Horse
27/08/2009, 8:09 AM
The clubs statement due later today should provide further clarification

The Board of Directors of Dundalk FC can confirm that the squad have agreed to take a reduction in salary for the remainder of the season. The club greatly appreciate this and would commend the players for their attitude and thank them for the huge commitment they have shown to Dundalk FC. We would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate Sean Connor, Joe Miller and the players, and everybody involved with the team, for the performances they have produced to date and we wish them continued success.

We also want to acknowledge the stewards and the staff in the club who have been a great help to us and who have also agreed to a reduction in their salary.

This is obviously not a move that we wanted to take, but in the end we had no choice. The main reason for this is the shortfall we have found in sponsorship, which is €195,000 down on last year. This season, we felt going into the Premier Division, with bigger support, that we could maintain the figure that we had in the First Division. In an attempt to make up a large part of this shortfall, we were perhaps naïve in dealings with certain parties - in particular, the Barcelona friendly.

However, while we acknowledge that we may have made some mistakes, we are ambitious for this football club, and have undertaken with the Trust to reduce this shortfall to a minimum. The Board will then work together to deal with that shortfall at the end of the year while still remaining committed to retaining a strong squad for the new season. We have already started an extensive review of all areas of the club, i.e. ticketing, merchandise and fundraisers. We would ask people to come forward and help in different areas of the club, including fundraising and matchday help, because the team that we will be supporting next year depends on the support we receive. The Board can only do a certain amount and we need your help to keep the club progressing to where we want to go.

We would also like to thank the Trust. They have offered to get behind the club in a number of major fundraisers over the next couple of months. We appreciate their continued support, especially at a time like this. We would also thank fans for their support and we would ask that they get behind the Trust and the Board for the sake of the club. If people do not wish to be a part of a committee, they might have friends who they can work with to do some fundraising, as every little bit helps. In addition, the players, as part of the talks, have agreed to participate in fundraising events, and they will receive an agreed percentage to help with the reduction in their salary.

While the shortfall is significant, it is not insurmountable, and we can assure fans that we are still a very strong club. However, perhaps we can look at this as a wake-up call that the Board, fans and townspeople must keep working hard to keep this club at the top of football in Ireland.

Yours in sport,
Dundalk FC Board.