PDA

View Full Version : Who will replace Miller in the squad.

Pages : [1] 2 3

NeilMcD
20/08/2009, 2:18 PM
Who should be in the squad instead of Liam Miller. Liam Miller has no club so there is no way that Trap can pick him. WHo should get the nod

Stephen Reid (class but not match fit)

Stephen Ireland (class but does not want to play)

Andy Reid (Good touch and great passer but not a Trap player)

Keith Fahey (Very good passer great shot and good skill level but untried at this level)

Lee Carsley (Very experienced but more like Wheland and Andrews)

Chris Mc Cann (Box to box and decent passer of the ball, lots of pontential but inexperienced)

Owen Garvan (Good passer of the ball but possibly not moble enough for Trap and experienced at this level )

Is there anymore that could be called up.

Razors left peg
20/08/2009, 2:28 PM
I honestly think Miller will be picked, he was in the squad for the Australia game, thats not sayin I agree with it though.
Out of the options listed I think McCann probably has the best chance if Steven Reid isnt fit

tetsujin1979
20/08/2009, 2:30 PM
Delap? Probably the same chance as Carsley
Colin Healy? unlikely, if reports on him at Ipswich are anything to go by

irishfan86
20/08/2009, 2:31 PM
I'd take an obese Steven Reid on one leg over Liam Miller to be honest. He must be named in the squad, and he must start.

Ireland if he's willing should also be named. Reid and Ireland together against Cyprus would make my nerves a lot easier going in.

I'd have no problem with Andy Reid getting back in, but probably wouldn't play him against Cyprus due to his lack of first team football and the fact he can be a bit of a luxury player.

Fahey has done well in the Championship, and may be good enough for the squad. Wouldn't object to his inclusion but if it was my call I'd probably leave him out.

Carsley is becoming less mobile by the day, and I think barring a major injury crisis he won't play for us again.

McCann is going to be a useful player for us, but an away game of this magnitude may not be the best time to throw him in. Would be good for the South Africa game though.

Garvan has quality, but I don't really see him fitting into Trap's system.

Claret Murph
20/08/2009, 2:43 PM
I have had a real think about this one as we need someone to about the same standard as Millar , so the only one that comes to mind is Micky Mouse , I just wonder if he has Irish grandparents ;)

Razors left peg
20/08/2009, 2:44 PM
While we are on the subject of Miller is there any word of him even being linked with any clubs? I know hes not a favorite of many of us on here but on a free transfer he would surely be a good signing for a mid table Championship club.So is it a case of him looking for too much money,him having a reputation of just not being good enough anywhere or has he just got the worst agent in the world?

The game against Nigeria showed that he can still perform at times. Maybe a good man manager can still make something out of him.Think Im right in saying hes only about 28 so there is still time for him if you look at the likes of Keith Andrews.

Jicked
20/08/2009, 3:03 PM
Andy Reid (Good touch and great passer but not a Trap player)You're being far too kind to Andy Reid there. There's a lot more to his omissino than merely not being "a Trap player". Firstly he's not been a Roy Keane, Ricky Sbragia and now Steve Bruce player. He has an appalling attitude to fitness for a professional sportsman. And Trap was at first willing to overlook the fact he's completely unsuited to the Irish team and name him in the squad, only for the media circus over his (justified) exclusion from the starting XI, Reid's bad attitude and unprofessional conduct to make his inclusion in the squad as a utility player more trouble than it was worth.

There's no way he'll replace Liam Miller in the squad if Miller doesn't find a club.
Steven Reid will obviously get the call if fit, but otherwise my guess would be Trap starting to have a look at Fahey, if he can show himself to be a decent Premier League player.

stiffler
20/08/2009, 3:03 PM
Would like to see S.Reid get a run out if possible, if not either Fahey or McCann.

geysir
20/08/2009, 3:05 PM
Andy Reid 6 minutes or so minutes on the pitch after 2 games
Owen Garvan not yet played for his club, Colin Healy is being selected ahead of him.
I haven't seen McCann play.

Steven Reid, on one good leg in Montenegro, played better than any other option we have. My vote is for him

drummerboy
20/08/2009, 3:26 PM
Garvan has not started but has come on in two of his clubs games and has started in the league cup. His former schoolboy clubmate, McCann has been impressive so far this season, especially last night, so he deserves a place in the squad. How far down the road to full fitness is Stephen Reid?

irishfan86
20/08/2009, 3:30 PM
How far down the road to full fitness is Stephen Reid?

Heard he played 45 minutes in a friendly at the weekend, so he's probably a couple of weeks away from playing.

Wexford Delboy
20/08/2009, 3:39 PM
just on a side note..kilbane hasnt played any football so far this season so not looking good for our lb spot

Irish_Praha
20/08/2009, 4:52 PM
just on a side note..kilbane hasnt played any football so far this season so not looking good for our lb spot

Bring back Ian Harte! :)

Jicked
20/08/2009, 5:02 PM

We have to give him two more games at least!

Wexford Delboy
20/08/2009, 5:12 PM
cyprus and south africa then hopefully we will have a replacement before italy

shakermaker1982
20/08/2009, 5:53 PM
Surely a championship club would give Miller a contract? He's good enough for that level.

I'd bring in S Reid if he is getting some game time or Delap. Cyprus, Italy and Montenegro would spend most of their training sessions on how to cope with Delap's throw in if they thought he was going to play - come on Trap play some mind games with em! Folan, O'Shea, Dunne and Kilbane are all threats in the air and I hope the Trap is giving it some consideration. Delap is experienced and has settled into Premier League life so why not have a look at him?

Andy Reid unfortunately doesn't have a prayer. The Trap won't forget that drinking/guitar session in a hurry.

drummerboy
20/08/2009, 6:22 PM
Another player who is starting to really push for a place in the squad is Stephen Ward of Wolves. He has made a steady start to the season. I know he is a little inexperienced but well worth a look at.

Kildare Lad
20/08/2009, 10:01 PM
Hopefully Steven Reid will be fit soon and get his place in the midfield because I think he could be a huge player for us. If not though, its hard to guess, unfortunately I have a feeling Trap will stick with Miller, but would like to see him try Fahey or McCann, even Delap possibly. Not a fan of what we have in the middle now though and would like to see him attempt to change it at least in the South Africa game.

irishfan86
20/08/2009, 10:06 PM
Hopefully Steven Reid will be fit soon and get his place in the midfield because I think he could be a huge player for us.

Daring prediction. You think the sun is going to set tonight too?

Colbert Report
20/08/2009, 10:19 PM
There's no reason that Rory Delap shouldn't be included simply for his long throw abilities. If he's good enough to line out against the likes of Manchester United then why not Cyprus?

The Legend
20/08/2009, 10:31 PM
At least Delap and Fahey play in midfield for prem clubs.... if Miller gets called up, its an absolute joke, and serious questions would have to be asked about that! Is he even training with anyone to stay fit?

Crosby87
20/08/2009, 11:41 PM
What about calling up a 4th keeper in Shane Supple?

irishultra
21/08/2009, 12:45 AM
according to wikipedia miller has been linked with toronto:rolleyes:

seriously what the hell is trap playing at? the guy is rubbish and is doing nothing to warrant a place in the irish national team.

he should be like off the radar completely at the moment. not even deserving of a mention.

irishfan86
21/08/2009, 12:49 AM
according to wikipedia miller has been linked with toronto:rolleyes:

That rumour was circulating last year.

In fairness to Miller he performed very well against Nigeria. He needs to find a club though if he's to remain in contention.

As said in the past, he must be the best player in training to get as much chances as he's got.

Closed Account
21/08/2009, 8:26 AM
The last I read was he was linked with Preston.
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5493748,00.html

Preston hope to sign free agent Liam Miller this week.
Maybe the Doc has seen him around the place.

Razors left peg
21/08/2009, 8:31 AM
The last I read was he was linked with Preston.
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5493748,00.html

Maybe the Doc has seen him around the place.

Jesus I hope not or we will be subjected to the Doc calling Trap the biggest clown in world football for the next season for not building the midfield around the next big superstar Liam Miller;)

irishfan86
21/08/2009, 8:40 AM
Jesus I hope not or we will be subjected to the Doc calling Trap the biggest clown in world football for the next season for not building the midfield around the next big superstar Liam Miller;)

Funny, I remember Roy criticizing Staunton for leaving Miller out of the Irish squad, saying that he should be in the starting XI, nevermind the squad!

One of the few things Stan got right I guess!

Razors left peg
21/08/2009, 9:58 AM
Funny, I remember Roy criticizing Staunton for leaving Miller out of the Irish squad, saying that he should be in the starting XI, nevermind the squad!

One of the few things Stan got right I guess!

Id give Staunton more credit for that if Jonathan Douglas wasnt one of the ones that were picked!

dr_peepee
21/08/2009, 10:16 AM
I don't recall Douglas ever doing too much wrong in an Ireland Jersey..

NeilMcD
21/08/2009, 10:36 AM
You have to do something, to do something wrong.

joeSoap
21/08/2009, 10:51 AM
What about calling up a 4th keeper in Shane Supple?
Retired from football to pursue a career outside the game.

geysir
21/08/2009, 11:04 AM
Selecting Douglas for that game against the Czechs worked well for Staunton.
He rose to the occasion and battled hard to hold his own in midfield.
Nothing more could be asked from Douglas.

eirebhoy
21/08/2009, 11:09 AM
Andy Reid 6 minutes or so minutes on the pitch after 2 games
He was injured and hardly trained before the Chelsea match so only fit for the bench. He was excellent pre-season and will most likely be in the team for the next game. Reid was Sunderland's best player when he joined, no doubt about it (and Charlton's before that). Last season was a write off even though he played most games for Sunderland. He seems to have sorted himself out in the last couple of months.

I liked the role Bruce gave him in pre season. He was allowed float about the pitch and not stuck to the left wing which doesn't suit him at all.

geysir
21/08/2009, 11:57 AM
Considering he has been exiled, Andy would need to be playing for his club in the league to be considered for our game, the squad for the Cyprus game will be announced, next week?
Though the point of this thread is that there is a generous deal of flexibility accorded to Miller.

Razors left peg
21/08/2009, 12:02 PM
I don't recall Douglas ever doing too much wrong in an Ireland Jersey..

One major mistake jumps to mind. Was brought on in Slovakia to keep things tight in midfield and then let a guy run past him from midfield where he had a free shot to score. Admitidly O Shea was poor for it too by turning his back on the shot but Douglas couldnt even do the one simple job he was brought onto the pitch to do

Kildare Lad
21/08/2009, 12:13 PM
Daring prediction. You think the sun is going to set tonight too?

...That was necessary...:rolleyes:

Thommo
21/08/2009, 12:37 PM
If Stephen Reid was fit he'd be a shoe in he is a Trap kind of player and if Ireland(Stephen) returned he would have to be accomodated his composure last Saturday for his goal v Blackburn was off the highest calibre.
Fahey did not look out of place on Sunday at Old Trafford and Chris McCann must be full of confidence after Burnely beat Utd the other night the only thing I'd say is that Trap likes defensive midfielders as it releases Duff and McGeady/Hunt to get forward to support the strikers at times I've sat in croker and from the setup it's like a six at the back, so Fahey may be a bit too creative for Trap's system similiar to Andy Reid.
Whelan and Andrews are grafters who are very limited on the ball people may disagree just my opinion.

On another front I'll give it a month before Jay O'Shea's pink boots which he donned on Sunday get a mention on Soccer A.M.:D

dr_peepee
21/08/2009, 1:23 PM
He was injured and hardly trained before the Chelsea match so only fit for the bench. He was excellent pre-season and will most likely be in the team for the next game. Reid was Sunderland's best player when he joined, no doubt about it (and Charlton's before that). Last season was a write off even though he played most games for Sunderland. He seems to have sorted himself out in the last couple of months.

I liked the role Bruce gave him in pre season. He was allowed float about the pitch and not stuck to the left wing which doesn't suit him at all.

Baring in mind too, that the role he excelled at, at Charlton was playing a free role supporting Darren Bent...

Dodge
21/08/2009, 5:06 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0821/ireland.html

Miller's in again

Bluebeard
21/08/2009, 6:56 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0821/ireland.html

Miller's in again
FFS. I'd be disappointed if he was coming to Waterford for his football.

OwlsFan
22/08/2009, 7:36 AM
He was asked about Miller and he said he included him because he knows the system. I know the system as well. Can I get a game?

In all honesty I think it's because he (Trap) doesn't know the other alternatives like McCann or Fahey.Strange one

brianw82
22/08/2009, 7:40 AM
Farce!

It's a plot between John Delaney and the Dublin refs.

NeilMcD
22/08/2009, 12:46 PM
I know Owls Fan it was a glib remark but to be fair. Jack Charlton picked players who knew the sytem first. Trap is of the view that IReland has limited players technically so he has devised a system that he thinks will work. He wants players who can fit that system and who will work hard. He believes it will not work if he chops and changes based on form etc. OF course this rule is not written in stone and there will be certain contradictions to this like St. Ledger coming in against Bulgaria etc. BUt to be fair, football management is not an exact science but Trap has done pretty well in his career so far and I do not think he wants to change the squad too much when he only has 3 days to work with them. Its an outlook that worked for Greece in Euro 2004. We are not Spain 2008

SkStu
22/08/2009, 3:14 PM
to an extent you are right about Charlton, Neil but he always qualified his selections by a) rarely picking below premiership level, and
b) picking players who were getting first team football

I hate the look of Trappatoni's Irish squad but its the lack of experimentation in the friendlies that really gets me.

Crosby87
22/08/2009, 11:04 PM
I hate the look of Trappatoni's Irish squad but its the lack of experimentation in the friendlies that really gets me.

I think this is a very very good quote.
I just--I dunno. I just don't like this team as far as thinking they are getting better. I like Trap as a person, no disputing his smart and funny sayings and experience and this but....I just dont think he is getting the most out of the team as possible.
People on here seem to be very confident that Ireland will prevail in the 2 game playoff after finishing second......I am not so sure.
Has the team gotten better since Trap has been here? May be a good topic in and of itself Stu.........

Razors left peg
22/08/2009, 11:21 PM
I think this is a very very good quote.
I just--I dunno. I just don't like this team as far as thinking they are getting better. I like Trap as a person, no disputing his smart and funny sayings and experience and this but....I just dont think he is getting the most out of the team as possible.
People on here seem to be very confident that Ireland will prevail in the 2 game playoff after finishing second......I am not so sure.
Has the team gotten better since Trap has been here? May be a good topic in and of itself Stu.........

Seriously??:eek: Did you not see the state we were in under the last manager?

Crosby87
23/08/2009, 12:00 AM
Agree but you are saying just being competitive is OK?

I guess what I should have said, is, why the F are so many people content with draws all the time? Because a draw with Cyprus is not going to be good. Now, 8,000 people on here will give me the stats on a draw with Cyprus but I dont care.

I am more worried about beating Cyprus now than the day after Trap took over. And it shouldnt be that way.

For the slower readers: The day after Trap took over I was like, "Well Damn! At least we will never have to worry about Cyprus again?!!" Or why hire him?"
And Now I am MORE WORRIED.

drummerboy
23/08/2009, 8:16 AM
Although I think Trap is doing a good job, and I am happy to have him as our manager; I'm still baffled as to why players like McCann, Fahey, Ward, O’Dea and Garvan are continuously ignored for the senior panel, while the likes of Miller is still there. I know McCann has a bust up with Givens, perhaps that the reason why he is blackballed.

carloz
23/08/2009, 10:45 AM
His squad selections seem quite lazy if im honest. The exact same squad as the Australia match. Players who are performing well will soon get disheartened if they see players who are not geting games, or worse still have no club, getting in ahead of them. Then again Trap may be trying to create a good atmosphere in the camp and improve team bonding so therefors likes to pick the same squads

NeilMcD
23/08/2009, 10:50 AM
One mans lazy is another mans continuity although the Lazy IRA would have been a laughable terrorist organisation. Crosby just cause you feel something before and feel another way now, is not proof that we are getting worse. That is just your feelings. We are better than we were under Staunton, no doubt about that. We have had one result that was slightly not great and that was the draw at home to Bulgaria, but we have drawn at home to 2nd seed teams loads of tims before, under Charlton, Kerr and McCarthy. We a very good postion to finish second and possibly to finish first if results really go our way. We could not have asked for much more this time last year in my view. We have only ever topped a group once before and that was for the Qualifiers for Euro88. No with a squad that is a good bit worse that Charltons squads and some of Mc Carthys, we are in a great postion to finish 2nd.