PDA

View Full Version : Shane Supple

Pages : [1] 2

Razors left peg
20/08/2009, 11:03 AM
This is the most surprising story Ive read for a while. Hes decided to quit football completely at the age of 22

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5502640,00.html

tetsujin1979
20/08/2009, 11:08 AM
Confirmed on Ipswich's site: http://www.itfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10272~1761776,00.html
Crazy, but he's not the first player I've heard of who's fallen out of love with the game

joeSoap
20/08/2009, 11:18 AM
Keano strikes again....makes another person question their love for the game. Shame on him....

Crosby87
20/08/2009, 11:25 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Oh wait, who is Shane Supple?

endabob1
20/08/2009, 11:25 AM
Keano strikes again....makes another person question their love for the game. Shame on him....

Indeed, it's all big bad Roys fault the big meanie :rolleyes:

Razors left peg
20/08/2009, 11:26 AM

Thats just a stupid comment, this is a lad who hadnt being able to make it into the Ipwich first team before Keane arrived and found himself out on loan.He didnt for the last couple of seasons seem to progress from his early potential and none of us have any idea the reasons for him not wanting to continue... but I suppose never let a good chance go to have a dig at Keane:rolleyes:

Razors left peg
20/08/2009, 11:31 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Oh wait, who is Shane Supple?

He was an extemely promising young keeper who was in the Ipswich first team as a teenager

Colbert Report
20/08/2009, 11:57 AM
Good luck to the lad, so many players just stick around for the money. I wonder what he'll end up doing.

longfordjames
20/08/2009, 11:58 AM
Would he play PT in the LOI?

Morbo
20/08/2009, 12:17 PM
Good luck to the lad, so many players just stick around for the money. I wonder what he'll end up doing.
Well he is stupid not to stick around for the money, I don't know what he was on but I'm pretty sure he won't make anywhere near the kind of money he was on whatever he does. He is going to find out the real world is a lot tougher than he thought, most people don't love their work but we do it anyway and he had it better than 99% of the people out there.

republicofwhite
20/08/2009, 12:32 PM
Serious lack of appreciation either way, should have just stuck it out until there was no option but to leave. Rude awakening after veing on a couple of grand a week to going back to doom and gloom Ireland without an education to speak of. Madness. Guarantee you one thing though, he will end up as Keeper on the Dublin GAA team... Watch this space

Dillonman
20/08/2009, 12:44 PM
He wasnt getting his game with Ipswich, on eminute he got into the team, next minute hes back out for no reason, main goalie gets injured, they dont use him and loan a another young fella from a premier club. Its quite demoralising!

Thommo
20/08/2009, 12:47 PM
He has either had a serious fall out with Roy or he is off his head, very bizarre just think of the money he's losing out on.

kingdom hoop
20/08/2009, 12:55 PM
In fairness, football is only half a career in terms of years so he would've had to figure things out in his late 30s anyway, and if his heart wasn't in it he probably wasn't going to be successful to have enough cash to live off for 40 years. But at least now, by packing it in at just 22, he gives himself a full, proper shot at doing something else, something that can reward him in a more complete way. The transition will be a lot easier at 22 than at 38 and having lived in an insulated, detached world for 20 years.

paul_oshea
20/08/2009, 1:02 PM
I was weighing up that arguement in my head hoop, and I thought to myself, that given football is 10 or so years, he could well have stayed and then decided to pursue something else, with 20+ good years to progress, which is by far long enough. He had two sides of the coin, now he has only one. With all the spare time footballers have he could have even done a part time course/long distance or whatever htey call it nowadays. The only real thing that would have been effected was his actual performance like you pointed to, where with his heart not being in it, he just wouldn't have made much of an impact at a high level.

I met a girl from ipswich flying back from ireland one day, mad trac-tor fan, she was saying garvan was as thick as a plank, even needing help to work a phone etc, but she was very good friends with shane and said he was far too intelligent to be a footballer!! funny how something thats said you take little notice of until something like this happens!

republicofwhite
20/08/2009, 2:22 PM
Thats the first thing my mate said, when you read what he said and his reasoning behind it, it smacks of someone who seems to be quite intelligent and mature, emotionally and generally. I suppose we're just not used to intelligent footballers or footballers who speak of anything with substance. And if you think of it like this, being immersed in a cocoon of a world such as that, and being surrounded by complete cretins on a daily basis, it would be a maddening and damaging way of life. It would be like being in Big Brother or something. Hardly stimulating... On the other hand, the money aspect of it was just so secure.

Pauro 76
20/08/2009, 2:58 PM
Very brave decision. It's not easy to walk away from a game that gives you such adulation from fans, good money etc. I'm sure he's a very intelligent guy and has his reasons, so I wish him all the best.

Jicked
20/08/2009, 3:08 PM

As opposed to, I don't know, asking to be released from his contract so he could find another club, or be transfer listed, both of which Ipswich would have done if he genuinely didn't want to play under Keane.

Good effort though.

ruben_sosa
20/08/2009, 4:13 PM
With all the spare time footballers have he could have even done a part time course/long distance or whatever htey call it nowadays.

Les Ferdinand is now a trained helibopper pilot, something like that would suit an ex-footballer with a bit of brains due to good hand eye coordination and fast decision making required. He should have done that while still playing, all it takes is an hour or two a day.

SkStu
20/08/2009, 4:17 PM
Ruben? Is that really you?

EalingGreen
20/08/2009, 4:26 PM
Supple is not unique in "falling out of love with football"

My own club (Spurs) have had at least two in recent years - Espen Bardsen (a superior keeper to Supple imo) and Rory Allen (Spurs & Pompey).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espen_Baardsen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Allen

(Btw, that wiki entry for Allen implies that injuries were behind his decision. Whilst I daresay they played a part, I definitely recall his saying that he always preferred cricket to football, and by retiring from the latter, it would allow him to fulfill a long-held dream to go on an Ashes Tour with the Barmy Army!)

ruben_sosa
20/08/2009, 5:16 PM

Si...

Kildare Lad
20/08/2009, 9:56 PM
An unusual decision from Shane, I'm sure he has good reasons though and he obviously thought it through. Wish the best of luck to him and hope hes successful in whatever career he pursues.

DmanDmythDledge
20/08/2009, 10:37 PM
Would he play PT in the LOI?
Did you not read what he said?

Different Ruben.;)

Bluebeard
20/08/2009, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear that he has fallen out of love with the game, and I do think that he is right to jump now. Let's face it, when we were 22 we were mostly doing some job we had no interest in wishing we were footballers. This poor lad is doing some job he has no interest in, and it is football. He probably spent most of his life looking towards football, and making a living from it.

Hopefully he'll find his niche yet, maybe be able in years to come to go out and play part-time, and come back to an enjoyment of the game. As Paul's lassie on a plane said, he may well have been too bright for the game, and as republicofwhite suggested, getting out might be the salvation of his sanity.

MeathDrog
21/08/2009, 12:15 AM
but I suppose never let a good chance go to have a dig at Keane:rolleyes:
Shame.

irishfan86
21/08/2009, 12:31 AM
Everyone works with idiots, the only difference is they don't get paid as much.

I'm all about following your dreams, but this just seems like a poor decision. I predict he'll be back in the game within a year or two.

irishultra
21/08/2009, 12:46 AM
i think this is such a cool decision. well done shane. dissapointing to hear but wish him the best.

Diarmo
21/08/2009, 5:53 AM
I wish the best for Shane Supple and the rest of his career in whatever he does. A lot of people have been asking why change careers when the money might not be as good, but at the same time, people every day choose careers financial gain is not what they're after. If Supple wants to do something else with his life then I wish him the best for it. At least he may be able to enjoy his youth without the constant worry about newspapers, fans etc. getting on his back. From the example of Steven Ireland etc., it appears football can be rather taxing on young people, all the expectation etc, but it's a pity for Ireland to lose a player at this age.

Dillonman
21/08/2009, 8:01 AM
He has either had a serious fall out with Roy or he is off his head, very bizarre just think of the money he's losing out on.

Not even for sitting on the bench! Ill take his job if it's still going!:D

lostinbrum
21/08/2009, 8:29 AM
Piece in the Indo today about this. One small shame is that his last act wasn't to save a peno. He saved the first or second I think. Shrewsbury's last went over the bar. I suppose it doesn't make as nice an intro though

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/the-final-act-1866057.html

jbyrne
21/08/2009, 9:29 AM

keane gave him a new contract over the summer

Lenny82
21/08/2009, 4:54 PM
You'd have to admire a bloke of 22 packing in the game. I am sure everybody he spoke to about this has tried to put him off the idea so he is obviously a very determined lad.

He might not have been making lots of money. How much would Ipswich actually be paying him? 3 or 4 grand a week for the last 2 years and bugger all really up to that. No long term gauranteed career either. Look at Liam Miller!!!

Hopefully he's pocketted enough to buy a house and a car and now he can concentrate on his new career.

paul_oshea
21/08/2009, 6:18 PM
3 or 4k a year is loads for the last 2 years, 160k a year, if he kept that going for 10 years, thats over 1.5mil!!

NeilMcD
22/08/2009, 10:17 AM
Fair play to him I say. He could have picked up his wages and just go with the flow. YOu got to admire him for it.

NeilMcD
22/08/2009, 10:18 AM
You'd have to admire a bloke of 22 packing in the game. I am sure everybody he spoke to about this has tried to put him off the idea so he is obviously a very determined lad.

He might not have been making lots of money. How much would Ipswich actually be paying him? 3 or 4 grand a week for the last 2 years and bugger all really up to that. No long term gauranteed career either. Look at Liam Miller!!!

Hopefully he's pocketted enough to buy a house and a car and now he can concentrate on his new career.

I dont own a car or a house and to be honest, not intereted in either and I about 9 years older than him. Surely life is about more than a car and a house.

brianw82
22/08/2009, 11:32 AM
Best of luck to the lad. If his heart isn't in it, he'll only be a detriment to whatever team he's with anyway. Hopefully he'll get himself sorted out and, who knows, his love of the game might be rekindled in a few years and he'll get back playing for his own sake.

paul_oshea
22/08/2009, 11:35 AM
ya he might be back playing but there is no way he would get back to the same level as he had been at.

Umberside
22/08/2009, 11:36 AM
ya he might be back playing but there is no way he would get back to the same level as he had been at.

He'd be very welcome in the League of Ireland. Where's he from?

irishfan86
24/08/2009, 11:39 PM

Dave Kitson took a year off of football and came back just as good or better.

Steven Reid has missed what seem to be years at a time, and comes back just as good each time.

Obviously Supple is a young player, and this is a key time in his development, but if he came back I'm sure he could go back to that level with time.

Colbert Report
25/08/2009, 12:03 PM
Supple is not unique in "falling out of love with football"

My own club (Spurs) have had at least two in recent years - Espen Bardsen (a superior keeper to Supple imo) and Rory Allen (Spurs & Pompey).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espen_Baardsen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Allen

(Btw, that wiki entry for Allen implies that injuries were behind his decision. Whilst I daresay they played a part, I definitely recall his saying that he always preferred cricket to football, and by retiring from the latter, it would allow him to fulfill a long-held dream to go on an Ashes Tour with the Barmy Army!)

Barry Glendenning quoted your post on yesterday's "Guardian Football Weekly" podcast.

paul_oshea
25/08/2009, 1:20 PM
what did he quote?!

youngirish
25/08/2009, 1:29 PM
Barry Glendenning quoted your post on yesterday's "Guardian Football Weekly" podcast.

Copyright infringement EG you should sue that plagarizing ba*tard.

youngirish
25/08/2009, 1:35 PM
Shane Supple is not the first talented player to retire from football before fulfilling his potential.

I myself packed in the game at the fairly tender age of 13 when I discovered flagan drinking in the park on a saturday night and couldn't get out of bed for the game early sunday morning anymore.

In fairness I had fallen out of love with the game a long time beforehand when our coach had started to allocate us specific positions on the pitch at under 10 level and discarded our previous Dutch 1974 esque total football game that we used to play whereby we all interchanged positioning while chasing the ball around the pitch.

Colbert Report
26/08/2009, 2:45 AM
what did he quote?!

Shane Supple came up in discussion and he mentioned the exact same two players that were in the post. He basically made the same comments as well.

It's available on iTunes if you're interested. I'd recommend it, it's a good podcast.

irishfan86
26/08/2009, 2:56 AM
Shane Supple came up in discussion and he mentioned the exact same two players that were in the post. He basically made the same comments as well.

It's available on iTunes if you're interested. I'd recommend it, it's a good podcast.

Well, I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially if he follows Spurs at all closely it would be common knowledge.

Why would he be reading an Irish soccer forum?

Bluebeard
26/08/2009, 7:16 AM

Dedication to his career to an extent that would regularly embarrass some Irish journos - it is on the second page of google if you dial in "shane supple ireland". Some Irish journos don't look appear to look beyond the top three results, judging by some reports I've read.

endabob1
26/08/2009, 7:38 AM
Well, I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially if he follows Spurs at all closely it would be common knowledge.

eh? I would guess it's because he's Irish and a sports journalist (although he used to do stuff for Hot Press before he moved to big London) so aside from the professional research angle I would imagine he would also have a personal interest.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2009, 9:09 AM
Copyright infringement EG you should sue that plagarizing ba*tard.Maybe EG is actually BG?

paul_oshea
26/08/2009, 9:44 AM
With that sort of surname its a real possibility.

But journos usually get their facts right, if ye know what I mean ;)