PDA

View Full Version : Exiled Fans

Iorfa2MaccaJim
19/08/2009, 5:33 PM
I just saw the username of someone on here, and it got me thinking. How many people either on here, or that you know, support a League of Ireland club, but are not living in the same county ?

SkStu
19/08/2009, 5:34 PM
at least 10-15 on the Bohs MB are exiled, myself included.

Rovers1
19/08/2009, 5:35 PM
but are not living in the same county ?

County or country?

I know alot livin outside Shligo...

I know of a few outside Oireland

Town Legend
19/08/2009, 5:35 PM
I used to be exiled in Canada and the US until June this year. Back home in the Emerald Isle broke and out of work!!!!!

thischarmingman
19/08/2009, 5:47 PM
We did have the City Exiles Supporters club: "Formed following a discussion in Derry City's chatroom during a match in May 2006, the club has members in Austria, Canada, England, the Isle of Man, Italy, Scotland, the USA and beyond. The total membership numbers 23 and includes an honorary member, David Tennant." Wikipedia: "Traditions of Derry City F.C" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditions_of_Derry_City_F.C.#Supporters) They may however, now be defunct.

The Dublin SC, and the Queen's University Belfast SC are pretty well known.

There was also Derry City United SC boasting "25 members from all over the world including Africa, South American and Europe," (Derry Journal: "International fanbase for Candystripes" (International fanbase for Candystripes)) but I'm not sure if it's still up and running.

longfordjames
19/08/2009, 5:55 PM
I live in co.Roscommon

Dunny
19/08/2009, 5:57 PM
Fans in the US who post on our forum. We have a Dublin SC. Loads spread around the country aswell.

GalwayRed
19/08/2009, 7:59 PM
Well I live between Galway and Dublin because of college and I support Shels. I still make all the matches though its just a tough journey sometimes.

SkStu
19/08/2009, 8:04 PM
Well I live between Galaway and Dublin because of college and I support Shels. I still make all the matches though its just a tough journey sometimes.

in Athlone?

;)

SkStu
19/08/2009, 8:07 PM
Well I live between Galaway and Dublin because of college and I support Shels. I still make all the matches though its just a tough journey sometimes.

actually went to University in Galway too from 02-05 and used to see a Shels fan skulking about the place there from time to time. Would it have been you?

Also on J1 in Chicago back in 2003 and used to see a fella in a Bray jersey wandering around Clark & Diversey - ive often wondered if he posted here.

GalwayRed
19/08/2009, 8:16 PM
in Athlone?

;)
Ha my mistake:o

actually went to University in Galway too from 02-05 and used to see a Shels fan skulking about the place there from time to time. Would it have been you?

It wasnt me no im only starting my second year of college in GMIT in a few weeks.

RonnieB
19/08/2009, 8:19 PM
Roscommon man myself. Now where did I put that sheep?

Mr Maroon
19/08/2009, 8:30 PM
This thread has been done before hasn't it?

Magicme
19/08/2009, 8:35 PM
We have fans in France, Switzerland, England and USA that I know of and in Ireland we have a few in Dublin, monutdfc and clonesrdcas being 2 who post here occasionally and elsewhere including my brother in Meath, my friend in Dundalk, my friend who half lives in Belfast and half in Fermanagh and a friend in Port Laoise. All though CRC not sure if you still support us since you moved back to your native Dublin.

Réiteoir
19/08/2009, 8:54 PM
Based in Norway myself - I know we also have people exiled in Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam and Belgium

SkStu
19/08/2009, 9:12 PM
and quite a few in Canada (4-5), the States (same) and one each in Venezuela and China too!

Mad Moose
19/08/2009, 9:12 PM
I still follow all the drama's at Finn Park in the relative safety of the Derbyshire Dales. I'm not much loved or missed there either but then again love is lacking a bit overall with the club right now.

I had spread the gospel of Finn Harps in Ipswich and Suffolk and there's many a man there that can tell ya Patsy is a proper gobs*ite too. It was quite nice that many were able to recall the name as the two sides met for a friendly which Harps won.Always wore the scarf to work on the day of a game. Not so much for luck mind as they went down that year.

Only make a game a season and two at most to be honest but its always nice to go back and see them.

dcfcsteve
19/08/2009, 10:55 PM
I just saw the username of someone on here, and it got me thinking. How many people either on here, or that you know, support a League of Ireland club, but are not living in the same county ?

I can't stand City fans who live overseas.

Opinionated bunch of feckers usually.....

dcfcsteve
19/08/2009, 10:58 PM
We did have the City Exiles Supporters club: "Formed following a discussion in Derry City's chatroom during a match in May 2006, the club has members in Austria, Canada, England, the Isle of Man, Italy, Scotland, the USA and beyond. The total membership numbers 23 and includes an honorary member, David Tennant." Wikipedia: "Traditions of Derry City F.C" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditions_of_Derry_City_F.C.#Supporters) They may however, now be defunct.

The Dublin SC, and the Queen's University Belfast SC are pretty well known.

There was also Derry City United SC boasting "25 members from all over the world including Africa, South American and Europe," (Derry Journal: "International fanbase for Candystripes" (International fanbase for Candystripes)) but I'm not sure if it's still up and running.

I can't believe you forgot the London Derry City Supporters Club......! :o

We had this thread about two months ago, didn't we ? Foot.ie is becoming more and more like an alzheimer's support group celebrating Groundhog Day...

WexCar
20/08/2009, 4:22 AM
I'm wexford fan based in Canada, don't know of any other wexford fans based outside of ireland.

Pauro 76
20/08/2009, 5:16 AM
Longford Town fan based in London....

thischarmingman
20/08/2009, 6:53 AM
I can't believe you forgot the London Derry City Supporters Club......! :o

We had this thread about two months ago, didn't we ? Foot.ie is becoming more and more like an alzheimer's support group celebrating Groundhog Day...

Sorry Steve, I did actually have it there because I was going to put an example of someone from each SC who was on foot.ie and you were the London one, but then decided against it, deleted that and presumably accidentally removed the London part too. :o Think Groundhog Day's going a bit far though.

Sorry Steve, I did actually have it there because I was going to put an example of someone from each SC who was on foot.ie and you were the London one, but then decided against it, deleted that and presumably accidentally removed the London part too. :o Think Groundhog Day's going a bit far though.

bennocelt
20/08/2009, 8:42 AM
and quite a few in Canada (4-5), the States (same) and one each in Venezuela and China too!

who is in China?

robertob
20/08/2009, 9:31 AM
I'm German and live in Germany but I support actually the League of Ireland as a whole. I love just this league with his unique atmosphere. However I like mostly Bohs, Derry and Galway and have some sympathies for Waterford.

Fester
20/08/2009, 9:58 AM
Living in Wexford!

bennocelt
20/08/2009, 11:29 AM
glasgow rangers!;)

brendy_éire
20/08/2009, 11:36 AM
There's a feck load of us in Belfast.

GalwayRed
20/08/2009, 11:47 AM
glasgow rangers!;)
What about them?:p

holidaysong
20/08/2009, 12:52 PM
I'll most likely be exiled to Cardiff in the next month or so.

SkStu
20/08/2009, 2:45 PM
who is in China?

ChinaBohs...

Mental Man
20/08/2009, 6:37 PM
Exiled in Seattle, USA but still hard core Waterford United supporter :D, never miss a game by listening to local radio back home by Internet.

stann
20/08/2009, 6:44 PM
Are you in Seattle, Mental Man? Since when? :eek:

Mental Man
21/08/2009, 6:07 AM
Are you serious Stann???? :eek:

Hibs4Ever
21/08/2009, 6:38 AM
St Patrick's fan based in Prague

Fivesilver
21/08/2009, 7:47 AM
who is in China?

ChinaBohs...

Bloody Gypsies fans lording it over us with their intellectual conversations again.
:D

As for myself, 15 years on three continents, the passion never died. It's a lot easier with the internet and VOIP these days - used to involve expensive phone calls home, including one to the Showgrounds the night Rovers beat Floriana Valletta in the Cup-winners' Cup, with the club secretary giving me a running commentary on the closing minutes.
Currently in Ho Chi Minh City, puzzling locals with my reaction to Cretaro's late winner against Derry.

bennocelt
21/08/2009, 9:36 AM
ChinaBohs...

thanks, was in China myself a few years ago................had my own football team on the go as well..........they were kickass:)

dcfcsteve
21/08/2009, 11:38 AM
thanks, was in China myself a few years ago................had my own football team on the go as well..........they were kickass:)

Should've got them to focus on kicking the ball more, so.... :D

I'll get me coat...