PDA

View Full Version : Murphy, Longford, Derry etc.

techs
05/02/2004, 8:48 PM
From what I was told from a source close to Murphy,Alan Matthews never approached him,think Murphy's still waiting for that elusive phone call from Matthews..From this source I know that Murphy would have been interested in coming to us,he didn't care about the money,Longford was handy while he finished his degree and he could still keep his job in Galway..I know that Aaron made an enquiry about him last season(before he went to Athlone)..Think Murphy would have been out of place in Longford, seeing that Matthews is turning it into a Dublin side!!!Anyway according to Matthews why go after Murphy when he has Baker (keep hallicinating Alan)

Macy
06/02/2004, 8:28 AM
Nice double post there Techs, but we did talk to him and he was looking for €900 per week on a 52 week contract. This was before he went away on trial (which is incidently after ever premier division club told him to fúck off).

Believe what you want, but I trust my town sources (who at the time were still hoping to get him if his demands were reasonable) rather than a mate of Murphy's trying to put a spin on why he didn't join us. IMO you're getting played, so that he doesn't get any grief in Longford, and if he thinks that he's obviously an arrogant dick anyway....

Longfordian
06/02/2004, 2:50 PM
We were talkin to him. Thats a fact. Alan matthews said so himself unless youre callin him a liar..He initially was lookin for 900 a week 52wks..thats also a fact..He then was prepared to drop to around what we'd pay him, around 500..then he got a couple of trials and decided he wanted more money again at which point Alan had enough and told him he was no longer interested. According to Matthews, Murphy signed for Derry for 850 a week plus bonuses..Personally i think thats too much but if Derry can afford that then its their prerogative but dont try and blame Matthews for him not coming..He reckoned Paul Keegan was a better bet considering what murphy wanted..

MariborKev
06/02/2004, 3:07 PM
Right

If you want to play the "What the manager told us game" we can spill all on what Baker and others are getting are your club

Unless you spoke to Murphy yourself how do you know what he is asking. You heard a figure because someone at your club told you a figure

You don't know he signed for us with unless you saw the contract.

Macy
06/02/2004, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by Maribor
If you want to play the "What the manager told us game" we can spill all on what Baker and others are getting are your club
Don't think what the players are on at Town is a problem for Longfordian, but however I think this part of the thread would be best moved to the Longford forum.... It's more to do with internal bitching between Longford fans - one who obviously hasn't got a trustworthy source. Maribor, even you know that we were talking to Murphy, (infact we were accused of agreeing over the odds for him on your MB) which is the crux of this debate....

So can the mod or admins split and move this from Techs post on to the Town forum, please?

btw the figures you were quoting for Baker on your board were way off what we are actually paying for him.

MariborKev
06/02/2004, 4:33 PM
Macy I totally agree that you lot were talkign to Murphy, in fact I think you were talking to him before we were

I was just merely trying to point out the futility of the argument that was going on here. Trying to claim that Derry were paying too much for a player based on what someone heard the manager tell them is pointless- thus I was just turning the tables and bringing up the Baker scenario to show illustrate the fact

The allegation that we "took it up the ass" in order to sign Murphy is a step too far and I am surprised some of the mods on the board didn't step in at that point and cut off the argument

We got Murphy, we hope he does the business. I hope you get Keegan and I hope he does the business for you

Power to the provinces

techs
06/02/2004, 9:53 PM
Nice to see my point gets a reaction from you guys...Do you want Alan Murphy's number to talk to him and ask him questions??I just made the point that how could you slag him off for turning us down when Alan Matthews never once made contact with him.. And Macy by the way Stephen Kenny made an enquiry about Murphy as a replacement for Keegan (who has signed for us) but Murphy had already agreed terms with Derry..