PDA

View Full Version : vs Derry City Cup Game

Pages : [1] 2

clubman
14/08/2009, 9:30 AM
This is a game we have to approach with optimism rather than fear.
By packing mid-field etc we are treating Derry with too much respect and basically going into the game a defeated outfit. Derry are in no way a better team than we are. Derry have struggled for most of this season and only due to a couple of moments of madness and individual errors we conceded four goals but no way are they four goals better than us. We have a very good team and we have to believe this and the players and management most believe this. Look the results in recent weeks hinged on bad decisions and bad luck it’s as simple as that. Last Monday week we were a kick of a ball away from qualifying for the league cup final, that’s not the characteristic of a bad team.

We didn’t qualify and sadly that has had a damning effect on the confidence levels of the players. We were coasting against Dundalk, we were proving how good a side we really are. They hit us with a sucker punch and the confidence levels once again took a hammering. At half-time against Derry no one, not even Stephen Kenny, would have envisaged the end result. Our confidence is shattered at the moment. To regain it will need a terrific push from everyone. It starts with Carry and Cookie. The players individually are certainly good enough of that there’s no doubt, getting them to believe that as a team they are good enough to take on any team and whip their asses is the point that has to be driven home. As supporters we have to be patient, we want this to happen as much as Cookie so we have to encourage the lads. What’s not needed now is to change formations and panic

Swamping mid-field will kill the game and the only winner then will be Derry as we’ll find ourselves heading to the Brandywell for a replay and that certainly won’t do any of our confidence any good. We are the home team, we have the advantage, let’s take the game to Derry. Play the ball to feet, no panic we have the players that can play good attractive football. Lobbing the ball into the heart of the Derry defence will only be capably dealt with by Clive Delaney so that’s a waste of time and effort.

Get the ball down and run at them and then we’ll see you does the panicing. From old we know wants the Sligo public see the effort being put in they’ll give their backing so a good start is vital and by that I only mean in terms of effort. We can do it, we have the players, we have the management team, we have a wonderful playing surface and we have a supporters base that’s well capable of giving our team the support they rightly deserve.

Just one word of advice to the powers that be. The Derry support will be huge for this one. Derry supporters are deafening at the best of times, put a roof over them akin to the blue seated stand and they’ll be at least twice as loud. I suggest stick them down behind the Railway end goal.
Good luck to Paul, Gerry and the lads I know we can do it!

dong
14/08/2009, 10:57 AM
By packing mid-field etc we are treating Derry with too much respect and basically going into the game a defeated outfit. Derry are in no way a better team than we are. Derry have struggled for most of this season and only due to a couple of moments of madness and individual errors we conceded four goals but no way are they four goals better than us. We have a very good team and we have to believe this and the players and management most believe this. Look the results in recent weeks hinged on bad decisions and bad luck it’s as simple as that. Last Monday week we were a kick of a ball away from qualifying for the league cup final, that’s not the characteristic of a bad team.

We didn’t qualify and sadly that has had a damning effect on the confidence levels of the players. We were coasting against Dundalk, we were proving how good a side we really are. They hit us with a sucker punch and the confidence levels once again took a hammering. At half-time against Derry no one, not even Stephen Kenny, would have envisaged the end result. Our confidence is shattered at the moment. To regain it will need a terrific push from everyone. It starts with Carry and Cookie. The players individually are certainly good enough of that there’s no doubt, getting them to believe that as a team they are good enough to take on any team and whip their asses is the point that has to be driven home. As supporters we have to be patient, we want this to happen as much as Cookie so we have to encourage the lads. What’s not needed now is to change formations and panic

Swamping mid-field will kill the game and the only winner then will be Derry as we’ll find ourselves heading to the Brandywell for a replay and that certainly won’t do any of our confidence any good. We are the home team, we have the advantage, let’s take the game to Derry. Play the ball to feet, no panic we have the players that can play good attractive football. Lobbing the ball into the heart of the Derry defence will only be capably dealt with by Clive Delaney so that’s a waste of time and effort.

Get the ball down and run at them and then we’ll see you does the panicing. From old we know wants the Sligo public see the effort being put in they’ll give their backing so a good start is vital and by that I only mean in terms of effort. We can do it, we have the players, we have the management team, we have a wonderful playing surface and we have a supporters base that’s well capable of giving our team the support they rightly deserve.

Just one word of advice to the powers that be. The Derry support will be huge for this one. Derry supporters are deafening at the best of times, put a roof over them akin to the blue seated stand and they’ll be at least twice as loud. I suggest stick them down behind the Railway end goal.

I admire your optimism, I really do but to say Derry are "in no way a better team than us" just isn't true, even if we do beat them on Saturday. Ask Paul Cook, he says it every week but nothing changes.
I think we have to swamp midfield. We'll ship a skip of goals again if we don't.
You say "we have the players" and there are some good players on that team. But there's more to football than skill alone. We have players who are unfit, lack ambition for themselves and the club and are poorly organised.
Hoping for a win but it's unlikely unless the performance is seriously improved and we get a major slice of luck.

red_away
14/08/2009, 11:52 AM

Cant agree with those sentiments- the league table doesnt lie - both teams are where they are on merit!

As for the railway end - i think the club have to offer the DC fans seats so its the blue stand i'm afraid - although i like your thinking!

clubman
14/08/2009, 12:41 PM
i think the club have to offer the DC fans seats

I certainly wasn't offered a seat in Dundalk??

redobit
14/08/2009, 1:33 PM
[QUOTE=red_away;1211609]

i think the club have to offer the DC fans seats so its the blue stand i'm afraid QUOTE]

maybe they have to offer them seats, but they dont have to offer every one of their supporters a seat.

red arrow
14/08/2009, 4:09 PM
its the blue stand for the derry fans . all of 800 of them

dong
14/08/2009, 4:17 PM
Sounds daft to me. Pushing out our own support. Not as if there won't be plenty of room for both sets in that stand.:confused:

sligoman
14/08/2009, 4:18 PM
its the blue stand for the derry fans . all of 800 of themWhen did you hear that? I was told different this afternoon. I doubt there'll be 800 of them too.

Dixie Dean
14/08/2009, 4:23 PM
Any wor don whether Boco is available or not?

Red Star
14/08/2009, 4:44 PM
its the blue stand for the derry fans . all of 800 of them

So The Management Committee are giving a bunch of bandwagon Nordies preference over our loyal and vocal support?

Why not leave the blue stand as normal and let any over spill of Derry fans stand on the Church Hill Road/Shed End side of the ground? Why should our own support be forced to stand out in the rain in the Railway end? If the Derry Fans were left out in the rain they wouldn’t be as loud. Its common sense ou want to take advantage of the game been at home

Idiots:mad:

rovers100%
14/08/2009, 4:56 PM
well we will find out one way or the other by sunday morning what formation works and if cook is good enough. i sincerly hope he is cos i like him and until lately thought he was a good manager

CRFC&SRFC
14/08/2009, 5:55 PM
As far as i remember we were left out in rain in Brandywell for 5 nil cup defeat so maybe we could return the favour.5 nil win for us would be nice too!

Hope some sort of pride can be restored for saturday night. Ive been going fairly regularily since 93/94 and its about as negative athmosphere about the place since Oriordan. . Hopefully cook can turn it around. We've got to get back to defending well and being difficult to beat. One result could turn things around. Feel 4-5-1 is a must. can always change it around in 2nd half if not working.

Happened to be at a presentation with our current chairman out the country on Wednesday evening. SRFC needs on average minimum 300 more people coming to every home game just to keep afloat. they are trying to forge links with local junior/youth clubs in sligo leitrim to try and push more people through gate. There are also plans for redevelopment of pitch and training area

SligoBrewer
14/08/2009, 8:03 PM
well we will find out ...if cook is good enough.

Ah jaysis.
You can never please some people.

celticV3
14/08/2009, 8:08 PM
Sneak a 1-0 win

CF1989
14/08/2009, 9:11 PM
id say if it goes to a replay it will be either tuesday or wednesday night?

sligoman
15/08/2009, 1:02 PM
For those that can't make it, the game's on Radio Foyle (http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/radiofoyle/programmes/sport/satsport/index_sportspecial.shtml) from half 7.

brendy_éire
15/08/2009, 1:35 PM
id say if it goes to a replay it will be either tuesday or wednesday night?

It's scheduled for Tuesday.

SligoBrewer
15/08/2009, 1:50 PM
For those that can't make it, the game's on Radio Foyle (http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/radiofoyle/programmes/sport/satsport/index_sportspecial.shtml) from half 7.

I will be updating the extratime.ie matchtracker here (http://extratime.ie/liveupdate/), from the Showgrounds.

There is a cup game preview here (http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11776/0/).

Rovers Maniac
15/08/2009, 3:23 PM
I will be updating the extratime.ie matchtracker here (http://extratime.ie/liveupdate/), from the Showgrounds.

There is a cup game preview here (http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11776/0/).

Sligo? :rolleyes: Anyway Brewer are you telling us to back Ballyshannon or Fermanagh tonight? :D

Rovers1
15/08/2009, 5:02 PM
Rovers 1-0 Derry ,Blinkhorn

Come on ta fcuk Rovers!:mad:

Brian Boru
15/08/2009, 7:19 PM

Thanks.

Bigone57
15/08/2009, 7:50 PM
This links not working :( anyone got another link Please

gustavo
15/08/2009, 8:12 PM
we're doing ok so far just need to create a clear cut chance

Bigone57
15/08/2009, 8:34 PM
Forgetaboutit Rovers 1 UP:)

brianw82
15/08/2009, 8:35 PM
Who got it?

Dunny
15/08/2009, 8:35 PM
Cretaro

Bigone57
15/08/2009, 8:43 PM
Rovers WIN WIN WIN :):):)

gustavo
15/08/2009, 8:44 PM
such a goal , i'd say the Derry fans are raging !

Bigone57
15/08/2009, 8:48 PM
A foolish Derry fan runs on the pitch and goes to attack Buttimer. FOOL :)

Dixie Dean
15/08/2009, 9:00 PM
Fair play to the players , they played for the jersey tonight and derseved their win. Nothing like a big cup win to lift the spirts.

Keane was my mom but dont care now just happy we are in the hat for the 1/4's.

celticV3
15/08/2009, 9:28 PM
what a win. Won't brag about getting the score right:)

rovers100%
15/08/2009, 9:34 PM
great stuff from raf, talk about thinking outside the box lol. bout time we done something new from a free. it was a tight game but we deserved a bit of luck after last few weeks.hopefully will give the team some confidence. praying we get a good draw for a change.

bingoballs
15/08/2009, 9:38 PM
Happy days and a good confidence booster for a massive game friday night. How did the spanish lad play?

mint sauce
15/08/2009, 9:44 PM
that was more like it, alot more organised, main objective still has to be league survival, although a good cup run will be good for confidence, they need to bring that play to the league

rovers100%
15/08/2009, 9:52 PM
camano was dodgy and subbed after 55 mins or so and ventre went cb with ryan filling in in mid. think the small pitch does not suit camano. jury still out on him

brianw82
15/08/2009, 10:23 PM
Turning point? Please god be.

We've said that too often this season and lost 3-0 in the next game.

More hard work needed on the training ground this week. We owe Bray for that 1-3 earlier in the season.

SligoBrewer
15/08/2009, 10:31 PM
camano was dodgy

Camano was not dodgy.

rovers100%
15/08/2009, 10:35 PM
why was he subbed so, he made an awful error from a header in second half and was subbed shortly after..........

Sean South
15/08/2009, 10:37 PM
Our block was hoping great night

showgies
15/08/2009, 10:49 PM
It was looking like it would take a little bit of magic to win it tonight and Raf provided it.....how sweet.........even sweetier was the reaction of the Derry gits, team and supporters. That was the quietest Derry support to come to the Showgies.......although they livened up after the final whistle!!

CF1989
15/08/2009, 10:56 PM
great win fair play to the players, first 11 and subs who came on, all played their part. bring on the 1/4's!! :)

sligofan4ever
15/08/2009, 11:00 PM
Great win and a great confidence booster, if they bring that form to the league it would be great. That was something new, a goal from a free kick, really no one more deserving that Cretaro (bar boco) was briliant all night. Boco well and truely deserved MOTM and I think every player did well, Blinkhorn should've scored in the 1st half though, was only yards away and put it over :eek:. Knowing our luck, i'd like to say in advance, roll on Bohemians ;). What were Derry fans outraged with Buttimer over, the amount of free kicks they wer egetting and we weren't was unbeleivable. We get fcuked over by refs alot, but we never run on the pitch and give them a peice of our mind, especially after how much ye were getting in the first half!.

red arrow
15/08/2009, 11:58 PM
will we be fined for the derry supporter invading the pitch? it was a great result tonight. supporting sligo rovers is very definately an emotional rollercoaster. i thought it was great to see all the players management and etc in the dugout out on the pitch celebrating the goal. it showed that there is unity in the club after probably one of the worst weeks in living memory. the gate was very dissapointing & shame on those who stayed away (for the sake of it) i was delighted for all those supporters who attended . yee can clap yourselves on the back. roll on the 1/4 finals & hopefully a home draw and now lets start winning league games.also good to see peersy comming onto pitch with tom ketterick at 1/2 time what a great supporter (96 years of age) and boy had he a smile on his face at the end of the game( i could see all his false teeth - only joking) he is a true legend along with mickey robinson. all in all a well deserved break for all those who work so hard for the club.

sligofan4ever
16/08/2009, 12:04 AM
will we be fined for the derry supporter invading the pitch? it was a great result tonight. supporting sligo rovers is very definately an emotional rollercoaster. i thought it was great to see all the players management and etc in the dugout out on the pitch celebrating the goal. it showed that there is unity in the club after probably one of the worst weeks in living memory. the gate was very dissapointing & shame on those who stayed away (for the sake of it) i was delighted for all those supporters who attended . yee can clap yourselves on the back. roll on the 1/4 finals & hopefully a home draw and now lets start winning league games.also good to see peersy comming onto pitch with tom ketterick at 1/2 time what a great supporter (96 years of age) and boy had he a smile on his face at the end of the game( i could see all his false teeth - only joking) he is a true legend along with mickey robinson. all in all a well deserved break for all those who work so hard for the club.

After all these years on the job, surely the first time we've seen of Mickey Robinson wearing a suit while in The Showgrounds :eek:. Can't see why we should get fined tbh, not our fault they ran on. 96 is a fair auld age, hes seen the club's formation, all our cup wins and Dixie Dean play for us, how many people could say they've seen all that first hand now!

Rovers Maniac
16/08/2009, 1:05 AM
Great win and we deserved it, i thought we were the better team and deserved it obviously. :)

Dixie Dean
16/08/2009, 8:34 AM
Camano was not dodgy.

Camano was better than Tuesday night but was putting pressure on the defense with a few dodgy headers backwards and sideways. Hopefully he can improve but when peers comes back i think it will be a peers/keane central defense with ventre in midfield.

Red Star
16/08/2009, 9:42 AM
http://www.forzarovers.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=48352360

http://www.forzarovers.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=48352361

Looked well, the players did show some heart tonight:cool:

What a week everyone was so depressed Tuesday night I don’t think anyone really expected a result. It’s a long time since Derry fans were so quite in the Showgrounds:D

Da Real Rover
16/08/2009, 9:54 AM
Still recovering after that.
What a win, only with Rovers.

Rovers Maniac
16/08/2009, 10:33 AM
Looking forward to seeing MNS tomorrow night, but whatever the point Derry fans need to take their oil, the best team on the night won.

CF1989
16/08/2009, 10:48 AM
really dont think derry turned up, they didnt have much of the play at all imo. maybe a biased view but i dont think it is. we had a lot of possesion. thought morrison was brilliant, and himself and rommy caused all sorts of problems. cashy brilliant when he came on too aswell as turner, good hold up play and distribution.