PDA

View Full Version : Next Irish Manager?

Crosby87
12/08/2009, 11:52 PM
Just for conversations sake, God Forbid the bottom drops out and we dont go to the World Cup, and Trap leaves, who for example do you guys think we could see as the next manager of Ireland?

Wexford Delboy
13/08/2009, 12:19 AM
tardelli is being trained in

Jicked
13/08/2009, 12:57 AM
Hopefully Trap signs on for another two years, regardless of if we go to South Africa. If he doesn't stay on, Tardelli has to be the man to take over.

irishultra
13/08/2009, 1:06 AM
Damien Richardson :D or Marco Tardelli.

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2009, 1:09 AM
Owen Coyle is the best Irish option that comes to mind but I wouldn't be happy if he was our next manager, although that could change by the time the position is vacant as this thread is extremely premature. :) An overseas option would hypothetically be the only option. Hodgson was interested last time...

Also why are people suggesting Tardelli? He hasn't done anything that should warrant him being a possible candidate other than simply being assistant.

Jicked
13/08/2009, 1:12 AM
Word is that he's being 'groomed' so to speak. He'd bring continuity, familiarity with the players, an impressive pedigree, experience, and tactical rigidity with perhaps a bit more attacking flair then Trap. He's also well liked by the players and FAI. If Trap doesn't sign a new deal, give me all that over whatever small time manager is having a good season in the English Premier Division or Championship (lest we forget: Paul Jewell, George Burley and Billy Davies were all good shouts for the Irish job!)

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2009, 1:22 AM
They're all from good enough, I agree.

I don't think Tardelli has had a successful management career though. He's done well in positions like he's in at the moment but when put as the main man in charge in he has generally not been all that great. The continuity reason I never buy in any situation as, while it is a slight bonus, I think it is nowhere near enough of an influence to out weigh advantages other potential appointments would have.

stevieontour
13/08/2009, 3:51 AM
Roy Hodgson for me

Colbert Report
13/08/2009, 4:06 AM
Roy Keane

SkStu
13/08/2009, 4:21 AM
John Sheridan, Jim Gannon and Owen Coyle could all come into contention in 2-4 years if their learning curve continues upwards.

Outside that, Hodgson - attractive football and gets the best out of average players. Just what we need.

irishfan86
13/08/2009, 5:05 AM
I don't think we could woo Hodgson away from Fulham- he's probably on much better money there.

I wouldn't be against Tardelli/Brady continuing things.

Pauro 76
13/08/2009, 7:26 AM
Roy Hodgson, see what he's done with Finland and Fulham amongst others, one of the old school managers.

Duggie
13/08/2009, 8:12 AM
i was just going to post a thread like this today!! id like to see brady taking over with tardelli staying there with him. feck someone else coming in and starting from scratch.

reder
13/08/2009, 8:35 AM
Roy Hodgson for me

I second that. Well travelled, excellent knowledge of the game and a gent.

reder
13/08/2009, 8:35 AM
Damien Richardson :D or Marco Tardelli.

Surely Roddy Collins deserves a shout then. :D

as_i_say
13/08/2009, 8:41 AM
Word is that he's being 'groomed' so to speak. He'd bring continuity, familiarity with the players, an impressive pedigree, experience, and tactical rigidity with perhaps a bit more attacking flair then Trap. He's also well liked by the players and FAI. If Trap doesn't sign a new deal, give me all that over whatever small time manager is having a good season in the English Premier Division or Championship (lest we forget: Paul Jewell, George Burley and Billy Davies were all good shouts for the Irish job!)

Yeah but he's fat. When was the last time a fat manager won anything?

Wolfie
13/08/2009, 8:44 AM
The Great Search for an Irish Manager - is there a more tortuous process known to man?

Wolfie
13/08/2009, 8:45 AM

My fat manager at work won the Christmas draw last year. A hamper.

Junior
13/08/2009, 9:48 AM
What is Tardellis Management experience?

SunderlandBohs
13/08/2009, 10:18 AM
Guus Hiddink has a bit of a belly.

Owen Coyle would be my number 1 choice but I have a feel he'll go to the Scot before us.

Dream appointment would be some like Hiddink or Van Gaal. Yes do have a big thing about the art of Dutch football.

Been a LoI dreamer I'd like Pat Fenlon or Stephen Kenny. But that would never happen. Although Paul Doolin is one of the biggest sporting personalites in Irish sport even though he is modest about it. He could be the big name we are all looking for.:p

backstothewall
13/08/2009, 10:21 AM

Does Jock Stein count? He wasn't huge, but he was never going to run many marathons!

If he has a good season with Chesterfield I would say John Sheridan, but I'll stick with El Trapo until next summer at least

SunderlandBohs
13/08/2009, 10:36 AM
What is Tardellis Management experience?
Italy U16 1988-1990

Italy U21 (asst) 1990-1993

Como 1993-1995. Got Como promoted from Serie C1 but was relagated from Serie B the next season.

Cesena 1995-1998. In the three years there Cesena just plodded along in Serie B

Italy U21 1998-2000. European Champions

Inter Milan 2000-2001. Most of us will remember him for selling Robbie Keane without ever really giving him a chance. Most Inter fans will him remember for losing 6-0 to AC Milan. Sacked

Bari 2002-2003. Sacked

Egypt 2004-2005. Sacked

Arezzo 2005. Team from Liga Pro Prima (Italy's answer to the Blue Square Premier) Sacked

No a great record.

kennedmc
13/08/2009, 10:37 AM
Roy Hodgson for me

and why would he leave Fulham to manage Ireland? No chance.

Somebody on the thread just below you said Roy Keane - not as long a shot as some people may think. Once he gets the sack from Ispwich he'll be looking for work and I'm sure he'll see it as a stepping stone back in to managing a big club......."I mean it has always been my dream to manage by country".......... whoops ;)

Delaney will be desperate to whore himself for a big name

SalvadorSanchez
13/08/2009, 12:12 PM
I'd bet me house on Tardelli or Dave O' Leary, basically Tardelli could get it because he's there now so they can blah blah blah on about "continuity" and if they finally cop on that he's not manager material (which his record seems to suggest) they'll for for Dave O' Leary because he's
Irish
Available
Affordable
Keen to get working again
Actually knows enough about Football to do the job
and of course they'll gloss over the b***s-up he made at Leeds
....mind you an international job might suit him as signing players is not a part of the job... this is what he and Ridsdale were worst at.....

Duggie
13/08/2009, 12:53 PM
apart from me i dont really see anyone wanting to see brady take the number 1 role with tardelli as his second. i wouldnt really want to see tardelli as number 1.

Umberside
13/08/2009, 8:23 PM
Steve Coppell

EalingGreen
13/08/2009, 10:34 PM
Lawrie Sanchez is still in the market - imo you could do a lot worse!

Razors left peg
13/08/2009, 11:01 PM

No thanks

Umberside
13/08/2009, 11:08 PM
David Moyes should be a strong candidate because he is going to leave Everton within the next year, be it sacked or resigning, he will be available and I think would do a superb job.

David Moyes works with fairly untalented, hard-working players and makes them successful and that's the exact same environment within the Ireland squad.

Moyes would be a perfect choice

Umberside
13/08/2009, 11:09 PM

I'd rather David Jeffrey or Alan McDonald than him.

irishfan86
13/08/2009, 11:12 PM
David Moyes works with fairly untalented, hard-working players and makes them successful and that's the exact same environment within the Ireland squad.

Moyes would be a perfect choice

I would love Moyes to be manager, but I wouldn't call the likes of Arteta and Cahill untalented.

Everton are a hard-working team, but they don't place so highly season after season on tactics and hard work alone.

Credit where it is due.

Umberside
13/08/2009, 11:16 PM
I would love Moyes to be manager, but I wouldn't call the likes of Arteta and Cahill untalented.

Everton are a hard-working team, but they don't place so highly season after season on tactics and hard work alone.

Credit where it is due.

Arteta, Cahill, Lescott, , Howard, Pienaar

Duff, Keane, Doyle, Given, McGeady

I think the Irish team is more talented so Moyes would be a brilliant manager.

When I say untalented, I mean Aston Villa and Manchester City finished below them, these two teams are far more talented. What I mean is they're not very talented for a team continually finishing 5th in the Premier League.

irishfan86
13/08/2009, 11:20 PM
Arteta, Cahill, Lescott, , Howard, Pienaar

Duff, Keane, Doyle, Given, McGeady

I think the Irish team is more talented so Moyes would be a brilliant manager.

When I say untalented, I mean Aston Villa and Manchester City finished below them, these two teams are far more talented. What I mean is they're not very talented for a team continually finishing 5th in the Premier League.

Arteta is a top top player. Cahill is one of the most useful attackers in the Premier League, and Tim Howard is very consistent and a great athlete.

Of the players you mentioned, I think only Given and Keane would be "sure things" in the Everton starting XI. Doyle might sneak in, but he wouldn't be better than what they've already got, and McGeady seems to be all flash and no end product, which is the antithesis of an Everton player.

Duff would be a squad player at best on Everton I believe.

Umberside
13/08/2009, 11:21 PM
Arteta is a top top player. Cahill is one of the most useful attackers in the Premier League, and Tim Howard is very consistent and a great athlete.

Of the players you mentioned, I think only Given and Keane would be "sure things" in the Everton starting XI. Doyle might sneak in, but he wouldn't be better than what they've already got, and McGeady seems to be all flash and no end product, which is the antithesis of an Everton player.

Duff would be a squad player at best on Everton I believe.

OK but back to the point Moyes would be a top class manager.

irishfan86
13/08/2009, 11:22 PM
No argument there.

Umberside
13/08/2009, 11:27 PM
As long as he's at Everton he is out of the question though, maybe someone like Alan Curbishley* or Paul Jewell* is the best not currently contracted to a club at the moment, it all depends on who's free when Trapattoni does leave.

*And I would not be keen on either of them

Razors left peg
14/08/2009, 7:05 AM
There was a story in one of the papers last week that Moyes was being lined up to replace Ferguson at United.Probably rubbish as most paper stories are but if its true I dont think he would turn them down to manage us:)

roversman
14/08/2009, 10:14 AM
pat fenlon for me

Umberside
14/08/2009, 12:12 PM
There was a story in one of the papers last week that Moyes was being lined up to replace Ferguson at United.Probably rubbish as most paper stories are but if its true I dont think he would turn them down to manage us:)

I'd rather Martin O'Neill to manage United, then at least I could talk about them.

Den Perry
14/08/2009, 12:27 PM
Stephen Staunton. Bring him back when trap is gone...the experience he has gained will ensure that he won't make the same mistakes again

Razors left peg
14/08/2009, 4:20 PM
Stephen Staunton. Bring him back when trap is gone...the experience he has gained will ensure that he won't make the same mistakes again

please put a smiley face after that before the men in white coats come calling for ya !!

kennedmc
14/08/2009, 6:23 PM
OK but back to the point Moyes would be a top class manager.

Why stop at Moyes so? Why not go for Mourinho with Wenger as assistant manager for Ireland!! Its as bout a realistic possibility as Moyes being our manager :rolleyes:

Moyes earns around 2 mill a year at Everton and if he was sacked there would be a string of clubs wanting to get him in

Umberside
14/08/2009, 8:23 PM
Why stop at Moyes so? Why not go for Mourinho with Wenger as assistant manager for Ireland!! Its as bout a realistic possibility as Moyes being our manager :rolleyes:

Moyes earns around 2 mill a year at Everton and if he was sacked there would be a string of clubs wanting to get him in

I don't think money is a problem, look at how much Trapattoni is earning

kennedmc
14/08/2009, 10:37 PM
I don't think money is a problem, look at how much Trapattoni is earning

He's earning 2 million euro half of which is paid by O'Brien - so the FAI are paying 1 million euro. Even if we paid Moyes £2 million he still wouldn't touch us with a barge pole!

We could have a chance with somebody like Steve Coppell though.....

frog-gufc
14/08/2009, 11:22 PM
Roy Keane

keanes a dick and i for one would hate to see him in charge, in fareness what has he done apart from buy his way back into the premier league then spend loads of money on terrible players and nearly get relegated, he's known to walk out when going gets tough . martin o neil for me

EalingGreen
15/08/2009, 3:51 PM

No offence, but I can't help thinking that Staunton still has a whole set of new mistakes in his locker - it's just he wasn't around long enough the last time for us to see them all! ;)

The Legend
17/08/2009, 3:50 PM
Staunton is too busy with his new job, managing the eurovision song contest contenders.

SkStu
19/08/2009, 9:10 PM
(seeing as though the Owen Coyle thread is locked!)

Congrats to him on a great result. Hopefully the first of many Burnley wins this season. Great to see an Irish international enjoying success in the Premiership as a manager again.

irishultra
19/08/2009, 10:46 PM
Pat Fenlon defo somewhere down the line. I'm not the biggest of fans of his football he wants his teams to play but I could see it happening, maby not next though.

I'd like a manager who plays attacking football and doesn't feel the need to live up to stereotypes about putting em' under pressure because sure don't we have no ability except for braun and guts.:rolleyes:

jay1
20/08/2009, 10:47 AM
Mick McCarthy,

I know everyone will now bring up the Roy keane thingy but if we're honest with ourselves he and Jack Charlton were our greatest managers.