PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Australia - Wednesday, 12th August 2009 - Friendly - Thomond Park

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 8:32 PM
Half time: 0:2

Thomond looks quite full, but i think a lot of that is the empty yellow and black seats thrown in amongst the red ones in the stand making it look like people are sitting on them.

Given couldn't have done a thing for either goal. Defence is doing ok though. St Ledger lost Cahill at one point but Dunne did enough to put him off. Would like to see a few other options in the full back positions for the second half

In midfield and up top we have problems tactically. The centre mids aren't allowed to go forward, but our wingers are both inclined to come infield onto their natural foot. This is making the centre of the pitch very congested. Keane and Doyle are going into the corners to create width but because the central midfielders can't go forward this leaves no one in the box.

McGeasy and Duff NEED to swap wings. Duff can't cross a ball with his right foot and McGeady can't with his left.

Keane has had our best chance but he made it all for himself.

noddy102
12/08/2009, 8:51 PM
Thanks for your analysis.
Both the commentating and half time pundidtry on RTE radio has been shocking.

Brendan 82
12/08/2009, 8:53 PM
Folan and Hunt have given the team a better shape and look

centre mid
12/08/2009, 9:25 PM
disaster 3-0

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 9:26 PM
pick that one out!

Brendan 82
12/08/2009, 9:27 PM
Detailed analysis:

We're sh1t

Beavis
12/08/2009, 9:27 PM
Trappatoni out!

Boooooo!

eelmonster
12/08/2009, 9:28 PM
Eel trap should have played a Bohs and Pat's selection. Utter ****e.

irishultra
12/08/2009, 9:28 PM
:mad: stopped watchin at half time but just horrible. such a bland team really when it comes to passing and movement. team is really quite poor. terrible preperation for the match in Nicosia.

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 9:29 PM
Looked better second half. Issues all over the pitch really, but we looked more balanced second half. Their right back was given a torrid time by Hunt when he went over to that side.

There was a hint of pre-season friendly about the whole thing really. half empty stands, players red in the face and panting (McGeady), and half hearted tackling (everyone on both sides, bar Hunt and Kilbane who don't know how to give anything less than 100%)

geysir
12/08/2009, 9:33 PM
Very poor bedraggled team performance and a well deserved 3 goal win for the sparkling Aussies.
I'd have a small hope that Nolan could impress Trap enough to shift KK from LB.
Can there be any doubt left that KK is not up to it at LB?

Maroon 7
12/08/2009, 9:33 PM
Only a friendly but that was pretty rubbish to be honest. Anyone who paid €55 in would be feeling mugged right now. Anyway one to put behind us straight away and hope they are saving far better for the remainder of qualification.

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 9:35 PM
Very poor bedraggled team performance and a well deserved 3 goal win for the sparkling Aussies.
I'd have a small hope that Nolan could impress Trap enough to shift KK from LB.
Can there be any doubt left that KK is not up to it at LB?

No doubt at all, but I would suggest the best chance is either Ward of Foley having a great start in the EPL for Wolves, and forcing their way into the side. Foley would mean O'Shea going bacok to left back but he can play anywhere

Infadel
12/08/2009, 9:35 PM
Dunphy's article in the Irish Star should be a good laugh tomorrow. But this performance was shocking central midfield offers no creativity or protection to the back four, the wingers McGeady and Duff should be played in their proper wings. Hopefully it will show Trap that some new members need to be called up to the team e.g. Reid and Ireland.

irishfan86
12/08/2009, 9:39 PM
I was watching an Aussie stream, and at half time they were talking about our attack as very predictable. They said only Keane and McGeady offered anything creative, and sometimes Duff (not effective in this game it must be said).

A couple of things I will say: this was Ireland's "first team," so they were not going 100%. They've all got their club games on their mind this weekend, and probably didn't want to get hurt.

Contrast this with the Aussie lineup, which was a mix of starters and squad players, a lot of whom had something to prove to try and break into the starting XI.

This does not justify the performance, but may help explain it.

At the end of the day, I'd rather get a wake up call like this before Cyprus, than blow a team out and go there overconfident.

youngirish
12/08/2009, 9:45 PM
Terrible performance. Far too many donkeys in that team. That Irish team individually is the poorest first 11 I've ever had the misfortune to see in the green jersey. Only about 3 of the players is capable of finding a teammate with any pass over 12 yards.

We need to find a midfield from somewhere. Hunt, McGeady, Gibson and Whelan are nowhere near good enough for this level and this considering McGeady had one of his more promising games for Ireland though both him and Hunt for all their industry offer no service to the front 2.

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 9:46 PM
Tony Mobray is putting McGeady down the right for Celtic (with Maloney down the left). Hopefully between now and Cyprus Trapattoni will see him tear Gael Clichy apart in the champions league and try him on the right for 90 minutes with Hunt on the other side. With those two getting chalk on their boots and putting crosses in to Folan we would look a different prospect

DmanDmythDledge
12/08/2009, 9:47 PM
the wingers McGeady and Duff should be played in their proper wings.
McGeady is playing on his proper wing and Duff has proven himself to be way more than capable on the right.

Junior
12/08/2009, 9:48 PM
To be expected at this point in the season, many were off the pace (tho it didnt effect the ozzies as badly!)

St Ledger, Gibson, Duff were particularly disappointing for me. McGeady made errors toobut was also one of the more creative players with some nice link up play and a few decent crosses.

Keane did well enough to create a few opportunities for himself and Hunt had the desired impact when he came on in lifting the pace of the game.

Brendan 82
12/08/2009, 9:49 PM
The only positive, that I can see, is that it might give these guys a serious wake-up call before the Cyprus game.

Defense and Midfield were poor. They (Aussies) had too much space and time, nobody was really closing down. I saw Whelan make a few tackles but he wasn't great at all. This game is confirmation for me that Gibson can't be trusted to start a competitive match; he really was woeful, we may have been 1-0 up if he played Keane in on the goalkeeper early on. He never recovered from that poor decision and any confidence he may have had, which I doubt, completely deserted him. If we make the playoffs, I would not get my hopes up.

Robbie Keane looked our best player by a mile. Don't think we would even still have a shot at South Africa if we did not have him.

irishfan86
12/08/2009, 9:51 PM
Terrible performance. Far too many donkeys in that team. That Irish team individually is the poorest first 11 I've ever had the misfortune to see in the green jersey. Only about 3 of the players is capable of finding a teammate with any pass over 12 yards.

We need to find a midfield from somewhere. Hunt, McGeady, Gibson and Whelan are nowhere near good enough for this level and this considering McGeady had one of his more promising games for Ireland though both him and Hunt for all their industry give no service to the front 2.

Trap needs a miracle.

Well that miracle is probably Steven Reid. We may be able to chance our way to a victory against Cyprus without him, but for those final key games Reid's presence in midfield is absolutely integral.

tricky_colour
12/08/2009, 9:51 PM
Good we won't be going into the Cyprus game too over condifent so that's a positive.

Razors left peg
12/08/2009, 9:54 PM
shocking performance, but we have said that before after the friendly against Poland and we have stepped it up in the compeditive games so as annoyed and disgusted I am with tonight Im not gonna go on a rant and Im gonna keep the faith...

Bar 1 thing. I know Kilbane has been a great servant and is much loved by many fans but he should never start another game for us. Give him 3 sub appearances in friendlies to give him his 100 caps but let that be it. He is so far past it now that its becoming embarressing and he is destablising the whole defense

irishfan86
12/08/2009, 9:58 PM
shocking performance, but we have said that before after the friendly against Poland and we have stepped it up in the compeditive games so as annoyed and disgusted I am with tonight Im not gonna go on a rant and Im gonna keep the faith...

Bar 1 thing. I know Kilbane has been a great servant and is much loved by many fans but he should never start another game for us. Give him 3 sub appearances in friendlies to give him his 100 caps but let that be it. He is so far past it now that its becoming embarressing and he is destablising the whole defense

I agree that he is a liability but we aren't exactly spoilt for options in the fullback positions.

I thought Nolan did alright tonight, but I would be hesitant to give him his competitive debut in a crucial away game.

Foley was poor in the friendly he played in, and before he proves himself in a friendly or in training to Trap, I'm fine with his exclusion (I think he will be a key player for us in the future though).

Razors left peg
12/08/2009, 10:13 PM
I agree that he is a liability but we aren't exactly spoilt for options in the fullback positions.

I thought Nolan did alright tonight, but I would be hesitant to give him his competitive debut in a crucial away game.

Foley was poor in the friendly he played in, and before he proves himself in a friendly or in training to Trap, I'm fine with his exclusion (I think he will be a key player for us in the future though).

I know we arent spoiled for choice but wouldnt we be better off bringing in the likes of Foley or Nolan and letting them develope into the team in the knowledge that they are improving all the time. Kilbane is going the other way and the younger lads couldnt be any more of a liability

FarBeag
12/08/2009, 10:26 PM
Back to reality with a bang! It goes to prove that the current rankings are not wrong. We can have all the excuses we like i.e. start of a new season(didn’t affect Eng tonight) , missing S Reid etc etc .We are not a good team and it just proved tonight that we have being lucky in all our qualifiers so far. We cannot string more than four passes together and Australia like many of the teams we have played so far are far more technically better than us.

Kilbane has to go and we need to find some central midfielders quickly because both Whelan, Gibson and Andrews were all outplayed, there was no creativity or no protection whatsoever for the back four. Andy Reid needs to return, even at his worst he can thread a ball through the eye of a needle and has a decent pass.I can see why Folan cannot make the Hull starting 11, he is a total Donkey. Clinton should be there.
Cyprus will cause us problems like they did in Dublin and I am not optimistic in the slightest.

MeathDrog
12/08/2009, 10:31 PM

We need to find a midfield from somewhere. Hunt, McGeady, Gibson and Whelan are nowhere near good enough for this level and this considering McGeady had one of his more promising games for Ireland though both him and Hunt for all their industry offer no service to the front 2.
Whelan was by far Ireland's best player tonight.

youngirish
12/08/2009, 10:39 PM
Whelan was by far Ireland's best player tonight.
Rubbish - Keane was by far Ireland's best player. Whelan was poor as per usual. He can't pass a ball to save his life and his tackling is shocking sometimes.

Razors left peg
12/08/2009, 10:42 PM
I do think Whelan was the best of a bad bunch in 2nd half

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 10:55 PM
McGeady is playing on his proper wing and Duff has proven himself to be way more than capable on the right.

He has been playing on the right for Celtic so far this year, and is obviously right footed player. So obvious in fact that every right-back he meets when he plays on the left works out after 15 minutes that there isn't a cat in hells chance of him going down the touchline, and sends him into the middle of the park and eliminates danger of a decent cross.

He got away with that against half rate defences in Scotland, but international full backs have him worked out. he has played most of his career on the left, but thats owing to Gordon Strachan playing him out of position.

And as for Duff, the only thing he has proven is that his best position is on the left wing, and that he can do a job up front. His only good performances on the right wing were in a very good Chelsea team when he was a lot younger

MeathDrog
12/08/2009, 10:56 PM
Rubbish - Keane was by far Ireland's best player. Whelan was poor as per usual. He can't pass a ball to save his life and his tackling is shocking sometimes.
I really do hope you're taking the ****. Keane was fcuking crap. Whelan passed the ball well and won most challenges he went into. Best of a bad lot.

centre mid
12/08/2009, 10:59 PM
Wasnt too many good performances, Shay Given made a few good saves in the first half. That is all.

37Beour
12/08/2009, 11:02 PM

I was at the game and being honest Whelan was the only one who was making tackles...the rest couldn't even spell tackle. Ireland were way too stand offish and gave Australia way too much respect. When we had the ball it was grand but my god when we lost it I was cringing because you knew the Ozzies were going to do something with it. Defencively we were incredibly poor considering its an International match. The third goal summed it up...Ireland standing off admiring the ball going into the top corner especially when Ireland had ten players back!!:eek: A very lethargic display from most players bar Hunt and Mc Geady...Tipp must not have suited them!:p

DrRobert
12/08/2009, 11:03 PM
not good enough.why would Stevie Ireland come back and play with some of those players.shockin.he's dead right

backstothewall
12/08/2009, 11:04 PM
I really do hope you're taking the ****. Keane was fcuking crap. Whelan passed the ball well and won most challenges he went into. Best of a bad lot.

I thought hunt actually. I know he plays like a Jack Russell but i thought he caused more problems than anyone else. I would like to have seen his brother on the other wing if he had been available. If i was Trap I would think about playing the pair of them down the wings against South Africa as an experiment

Paddy Garcia
12/08/2009, 11:36 PM
Powder puff centre midfield - there for the taking.

stevieontour
12/08/2009, 11:47 PM
You only should play 2 defensive midfielders when playing a team that are better than you.

If you do that to lesser teams you play into their hands.

Full backs were a huge issue also ... no creativity there at all.

Jofspring
12/08/2009, 11:51 PM

Keane was rubbish, he spent the majority of the time whinging and looking for penalties out of nothing instead of just getting on with it. Hunt was a little more lively when he came on but that was expected. Whelan did well, just broke up the Australians play mainly. Most players gave the impression all they where thinking about was getting back to their clubs.

Was a shocking game to be at, wasn't even worth the 25euro i paid not to mind the 55 the people in the stand paid. Good Luck trying to get a decent crowd to show up for the South Africa match with performances like that.

The Fly
12/08/2009, 11:52 PM
not good enough.why would Stevie Ireland come back and play with some of those players.shockin.he's dead right

Go to sleep!

papa-j
13/08/2009, 12:11 AM
Given - made a few good saves, no fault for the goals but his distribution in first half was poor. Kept hoofing long balls up the centre. Think Doyle won 1 out of 10. That said nobody showed for a short pass. 6/10

O'Shea, I can't figure this guy out. Looks a good player for Utd but has been shaky for Ireland , with a couple of good performanced sprinkled in. He was shockingly poor tonight, ponderous on the ball and loose passing.It seemed both he and Kilbane were under strict orders not to cross the half way line. 4/10

Kilbane - comming to the end of a great International career and its time to step aside. Poor positional sense under the cross field ball and never is tight enough on the winger. Offered nothing going forward and refused to overlap. Seemed a strict instruction from trap to hold back. 4/10

Dunne - ok but nowhere near his best. Looks like fitnesss is not there yet - summed up by an attemted dribble out of the back ended with a lunge from 10 yards to retain possession. Some loose clearances and communication mix ups with St Ledger. 5/10

St Ledger - struggled with decision making with some communication mix ups but was ok. Some decent tracking and tackling. Good clearance off Kewells head but should have scored with header from 5 yards. Looks a good long term prospect. 5/10

Duff - showed flashes of the old Duff but seems reluctant to go that extra mile and took the easy option at times. Is it confidence or is the magic going. I hope its just a confidence issue. He retains possession well which is a massive bonus in this team. 6/10

Mcgeady - great first half. Ran out of steam in second. Our best outlet and most creative player on the night. Held posession well and looked dangerous. Some nice long passing too. Vital to our chances in the remainder on the qualifiers. 7/10

Whelan - he had a poor first half but I think that had more to do with his partnership with Gibson. It simply does not work. They give too much space away in the middle and offer very little in terms of retaining possession and forward momentum. Was better in second half and worked hard all night but still- we are clutching at straws here 5/10

Gibson - not ready yet. Some nice touches here and there, nice passing when in space but not sharp enough in tight situations. His partnership with whelan is not dynamic enough and we basically surrender the middle of the park realying on last ditch defending and trying to nit back on the break.5/10

Keane - some nice early touches. Unlucky with 2 chances and a great cut back. Played ok but the ball played to him needs to be perfect and to feet or he will not create anything against good defenders. He is struggling from a lack of quality service. He cant out pace them, wont out muscle them or win it in the air. Down the channel or in to feet is a must but who will provide the ammunition for Robbie.6/10

Doyle - poor game again but cant fault his effort. He is struggling with form for club and country. Another living off scraps and struggling from a lack of quality service. Didn't really mack any signicant impact 5/10

Hunt - loads of effort, endevour and manic running but not much end product. Some poor set piece balls. Can look like a world beater but then fails with the final delivery. Still a positive on the night - 7/10

Folan - caused the Aussies some problems, worked hard, got stuck in. Good first touch and hold possession well. Decent option for us. 7/10

Nolan - looked ok in defence and in posession. Needs game time to determine if he is ready to step into the team. 6/10

Andrews - compliments Whelan better than Gibson and offer more of a threat going forward. Just looks more composed and streetwise than Gibson to me. Some nices passing and unluck not to score. 7/10

Rest- not on long enough to rate really

MeathDrog
13/08/2009, 12:20 AM
I was at the game. Poor game, poor performance and poor result.

1st half was quite lethargic. Whelan played well as did Mcgeady and Duff. However, we were poor when it came to the final 3rd. Keane had a good chance. That was about it. 2-0 flattered Australia going into the break but they deserved their lead.

2nd half was no better, if even worse. Keane was rubbish all game. Really needs to stop falling over, whinging for decisions and wiggling his finger when he thinks an offside call is wrong (it usually isn't). Whelan played well and Andrews did ok. Dunne improved in the 2nd half. There was a Kerryman behind me who was splooging in his pants for Stephen Hunt. Can't really see why. Yes he tried hard, but end product is poor as always. Cracking 3rd goal for the Aussies.

I know it was only a friendly, but it was the same for Australia and they've already qualified, so that's even less reason for them to care. But still, we were shockingly bad at times. Trappa would want to sort it out quick. Here's hoping that he will get rid of his stubborn attitude.

And for those who booed at FT, go fcukoff home and never come back. Totally pointless and unnecessary for a friendly match at the end of pre-season.

kingdomkerry
13/08/2009, 12:20 AM
Shocking performance. Mcgeady and keane looked sharp at the start. blamed kilbane for the 1st goal. be honest he's been a good servant but he is a liability. cost us 4 points against bulgaria. Gibson had keane through on goal in the first half and gave a shocking ball to the right. turning point.

Hairy Bowsie
13/08/2009, 12:33 AM
3 nil. Crikey :eek:

NeilMcD
13/08/2009, 12:37 AM
just as the 4 nil in denmark meant nothing and the 3 nil at home against sweden meant nothing, this will mean nothing in my view. poor game and poor performance.

rambler14
13/08/2009, 12:40 AM
I've had this rant brewing since Trap took over and started watching Ireland literally scrape through games and I knew one day I'd get to vent my fury.

Since Trap took over as manager I've always said(including on foot.ie) that eventually we are going to be absolutely outplayed, out-classed and hammered in a game and well tonight it happened.
I'd made peace with the fact that:
- He doesn't pick the best available squad.
- He doesn't pick the strongest team from the players he makes available to himself.
- His tactics stink.
- His lack of and choice of subs are p!ss poor!
- He picks Liam Miller when no club will have him even though there are players involved with Premiership/Championship teams who play week in, week out that don't even get a look in like Keith Fahey, Rory Delap even Clinton Morrison would do!(he's better than Andy Keogh anyway)
-Our defence is a mess. I know people like to point the finger at Zinedine Kilbane but in my opinion Trap has turned Richard Dunne into a pussycat who now turns his arse at everything like he did for the Cahill's two goals tonight.
-The midfield is useless.
Trap picks Darron Gibson contantly purely because he plays with Man United. He is 6th choice centre-mid at Utd, if he was 6th choice centre-mid at any other club he wouldn't be near the squad. Now saying that I do believe he will be a key player in the future.
McGeady is the most over-rated Irish player EVER!....Run with your head up and cross the feckin ball once and a while!!!
The quicker Stephen Reid is fit and Trap swallows his pride and brings Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid back the better.
-We have 6 strikers in every squad and unfortunately only 2 are good enough to be there(Keane and Doyle)........nothing he can do about that really!

I think thats it but other than that things are peachy!:)

MeathDrog
13/08/2009, 12:49 AM
I've had this rant brewing since Trap took over and I knew one day I'd get to vent my fury.

Since Trap took over as manager I've always said(including on foot.ie) that eventually we are going to be absolutely outplayed, out-classed and hammered in a game and well tonight it happened.
I'd made peace with the fact that:
- He doesn't pick the best available squad.
- He doesn't pick the strongest team from the players he makes available to himself.
- His tactics stink.
- His lack of and choice of subs are p!ss poor!
- He picks Liam Miller when no club will have him even though there are players involved with Premiership/Championship teams who play week in, week out that don't even get a look in like Keith Fahey, Rory Delap even Clinton Morrison would do!(he's better than Andy Keogh anyway)
-Our defence is a mess. I know people like to point the finger at Zinedine Kilbane but in my opinion Trap has turned Richard Dunne into a pussycat who now turns his arse at everything like he did for the Cahill's two goals tonight.
-The midfield is useless.
Trap picks Darron Gibson contantly purely because he plays with Man United. He is 6th choice centre-mid at Utd, if he was 6th choice centre-mid at any other club he wouldn't be near the squad. Now saying that I do believe he will be a key player in the future.
McGeady is the most over-rated Irish player EVER!....Run with your head up and cross the feckin ball once and a while!!!
The quicker Stephen Reid is fit and Trap swallows his pride and brings Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid back the better.
-We have 6 strikers in every squad and unfortunately only 2 are good enough to be there(Keane and Doyle)........nothing he can do about that really!

I think thats it but other than that things are peachy!:)
Maybe a tad harsh but some good points made.

old git
13/08/2009, 12:51 AM
I was at the game. Poor game, poor performance and poor result.

1st half was quite lethargic. Whelan played well as did Mcgeady and Duff. However, we were poor when it came to the final 3rd. Keane had a good chance. That was about it. 2-0 flattered Australia going into the break but they deserved their lead.

2nd half was no better, if even worse. Keane was rubbish all game. Really needs to stop falling over, whinging for decisions and wiggling his finger when he thinks an offside call is wrong (it usually isn't). Whelan played well and Andrews did ok. Dunne improved in the 2nd half. There was a Kerryman behind me who was splooging in his pants for Stephen Hunt. Can't really see why. Yes he tried hard, but end product is poor as always. Cracking 3rd goal for the Aussies.

I know it was only a friendly, but it was the same for Australia and they've already qualified, so that's even less reason for them to care. But still, we were shockingly bad at times. Trappa would want to sort it out quick. Here's hoping that he will get rid of his stubborn attitude.

And for those who booed at FT, go fcukoff home and never come back. Totally pointless and unnecessary for a friendly match at the end of pre-season.

thought hunt lifted team and supporters with his introduction and was more of a threat in 45 mins than duff had been in first 45 .. poor game to watch and ireland definatly gave the aussies to much time and space ... as for booing at ft agree with you .. but a lot of apes near me on west terrace had no more intrest in match were chatting away during game and had no idea on some of the players names , had the feeling alot of fans only went for the novelty of thomond park factor and were not genuine soccer fans :mad:

Hairy Bowsie
13/08/2009, 12:55 AM
had the feeling alot of fans only went for the novelty of thomond park factor and were not genuine soccer fans :mad:

Welcome to Ireland.

I said it at the start and i'll still say it now. Friendly or not Trap is being shown up for being the clueless mercenary buffon he is. Ireland are where they are in the group, despite him and not because of him.

eamo1
13/08/2009, 1:01 AM
I want my 55euros back.NEVER going to another friendly again,utter sh*te.Ive seen far better at Terryland Park this season.
Trap OUT-HIS TACTICS ARE BRUTAL WITH 2 HOLDING MIDFIELDERS WHO DONT EVEN "HOLD".

M@ttitude
13/08/2009, 1:04 AM
Welcome to Ireland.

I said it at the start and i'll still say it now. Friendly or not Trap is being shown up for being the clueless mercenary buffon he is. Ireland are where they are in the group, despite him and not because of him.

That has to be the funniest post of the month!