PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Australia - Wednesday, 12th August 2009 - Friendly - Thomond Park

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

paul_oshea
14/08/2009, 8:25 AM
That rugby article really grates me, but I'm sure thats what the editor told him to do.

tetsujin1979
14/08/2009, 8:58 AM
He has played centre midfield against Celtic and Rangers and has played over 100 senior games for hamilton... Surely you can put the fella into the international fold for a friendly against Australia ahead of players like liam miller who doesnt even have a club.. Give him 20min to get him a cap. I cant see him being out of his depth in training up against the likes of whelan and andrews can you.. Can only be good for the young guy....
He should only have been in the squad if he was in with a chance of playing against Cyprus, which the friendly was being used as a warm up for. He isn't, so he shouldn't have been. Wigan haven't played him in preseason. Martinez said recently that he's not ready for action at the moment, and he's only having a light pre-season - http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=163432

No such thing as too young, if he can play ball get him involved...Then why not call up the entire U-21 squad? Or the U-19s?

And yes Dunne did play well against Bulgaria away but like i said it was when we were under alot of pressure and balls were coming into the box at a fast rate. He is poor marking clever players like Tim Cahill (last night) who drop into smart areas and cause us problems..
So instead of marking the strikers, he should mark the midfield? If anyone should have marked Cahill, it should have been Whelan or Gibson, compare that to the marking job Essien did on Gerrard last season, effectively took him (and one of Liverpool's main attacking threats) out of the game

DeLorean
14/08/2009, 9:40 AM
Delorean, mcgeady does a lot of running, and holding the ball, if we are 1-0 up and we need to run down the clock then that is good, he gives us a bit more time with the ball before he gives it away. But as an attacking threat it is absolutely of no benefit if his end product always ends in the opposition getting the ball back, it completely negates any jizzy jazzy stuff.

I agree he's far from perfect. His crossing is woeful, generally because it's a his weaker foot that is less than adequate. However, I think he retains the ball fairly well overall and always has defenders going backwards. The type of player he is he bound to lose the ball here and there. He's a far better player than Hunt I think and he should always start the games we're hoping to win, ie. matches where we are the stronger side. He contributed well against Georgia but has had disappointing games too, I'd be optimistic he'll get more consistent but can see your frustration too.

Reid wasn't good enough for Sunderland last year why is he suddenly good enough for us now?

Gibson wasn't good enough for United, Whelan for the most part wasn't good enough for Stoke, what's your point? at least Reid was good for Ireland at some stage. It's not gonna happen anyway obviously and I've made peace with that at this stage, just think you're not making any sense.

Lionel Ritchie
14/08/2009, 9:43 AM
That rugby article really grates me, but I'm sure thats what the editor told him to do.

Agree Paul. Tangential comparison as predictable as it was wearisome. He's also as confused as an Asian skinhead in stretches of it. Spurs played at TP. So far as I could see the bars were open and the beer was flowing on Wednesday. That or people were walking around in there with cream soda in plastic pint glasses. Frankly I'm not sure this guy got any closer to the match than feeding sugar lumps to the Garda Capall.

Drumcondra 69er
14/08/2009, 9:55 AM
Also, why was Kewell being booed? I hope it wasn't cos he played for Liverpool?:o

It was a number of Leeds fans that are working in Limerick at present that happened to go to the game because it was on. They were booing him due to his decision to move to Galatasaray despite the fact that he was playing for Leeds in the UEFA semi where 2 Leeds fans go murdered by Galatasaray fans in 2000. Him and his agent had previously shafted Leeds when he moved to Liverpool anyway but the move to Galatasaray caused a lot of anger among the Leeds support.

Apparently some Irish Liverpool fans were joing in but it was the Leeds lads who started it. One of them posted it on a Leeds message board yesterday.

Lionel Ritchie
14/08/2009, 10:05 AM
It was a number of Leeds fans that are working in Limerick at present that happened to go to the game because it was on. They were booing him due to his decision to move to Galatasaray despite the fact that he was playing for Leeds in the UEFA semi where 2 Leeds fans go murdered by Galatasaray fans in 2000. Him and his agent had previously shafted Leeds when he moved to Liverpool anyway but the move to Galatasaray caused a lot of anger among the Leeds support.

Apparently some Irish Liverpool fans were joing in but it was the Leeds lads who started it. One of them posted it on a Leeds message board yesterday.

I don't doubt you Drum but I'm a Leeds supporter who by pure chance happened to be sitting next to another Leeds supporter and, while I heard the booing, neither of us participated and it seemed to be coming from a definite direction on the lower west stand.

I just couldn't really be bothered bringing 'club issues' to international games (my slight indulgence of a half Leeds/half Ireland scarf aside).

I rolled my eyes a bit alright when a big cheer went up for Scott McDonald and I've little doubt we'd have heard it's ugly inverse if Tony Vidmar was still chugging away for the 'roos.

gspain
14/08/2009, 10:10 AM

The only rugby match at the new stadium saw the debut of local hero Keith Earls. It still drew a massive 16,000 people. Amazing there were no articles then criticising the IRFU.

No doubt they will be slated for ticket prices too when they charge €90 to sit behind the posts for the 6 nations next year. That is assuming they don't increase their prices.

Drumcondra 69er
14/08/2009, 10:19 AM
I don't doubt you Drum but I'm a Leeds supporter who by pure chance happened to be sitting next to another Leeds supporter and, while I heard the booing, neither of us participated and it seemed to be coming from a definite direction on the lower west stand.

I just couldn't really be bothered bringing 'club issues' to international games (my slight indulgence of a half Leeds/half Ireland scarf aside).

I rolled my eyes a bit alright when a big cheer went up for Scott McDonald and I've little doubt we'd have heard it's ugly inverse if Tony Vidmar was still chugging away for the 'roos.

Like I say it was English lads from Leeds who claimed they started it, I'd agree with you about bringing club issues to internationals, doesn't make sense to me.

sligoman
14/08/2009, 11:13 AM
was in the ground and heard none of that. isolated few fans at most. this kind of talk is a complete boreSorry for boring you:rolleyes: but as has been confirmed by others it did happen. Obviously not that isolated either as someone tx me during the game who was watching on tv and he heard Kewell being booed.

tetsujin1979
14/08/2009, 11:19 AM
I was in the East stand, and didn't notice Kewell being booed at all, might have been isolated to the West stand?
That's where the cameras were as well, so might have sounded louder on the box than it was in the stadium

Superhoops
14/08/2009, 11:23 AM
Agree Paul. Tangential comparison as predictable as it was wearisome. He's also as confused as an Asian skinhead in stretches of it. Spurs played at TP. So far as I could see the bars were open and the beer was flowing on Wednesday. That or people were walking around in there with cream soda in plastic pint glasses. Frankly I'm not sure this guy got any closer to the match than feeding sugar lumps to the Garda Capall.
Might have been at corporate level but the bars underneath the East Terrace were certainly not selling beer on Wednesday.

geysir
14/08/2009, 11:44 AM
I'd bite your hand off now if you told me Foley would start in Cyprus instead of Kilbane and his keystone cop antics when defending.
My hand is staying in my pocket.
Nolan and Kelly are ahead of Foley to get a full back slot and quite rightly so, based on Nolan's auditions and Kelly's ableness/experience when he is match fit, all compared to Foley not being able to adjust or play to his ability. I'd also presume that Trap would use other criteria based on his overview of players in training.

It would be an irrational risk of reckless proportions for Trap to play Foley ahead of Kelly and Nolan, in a crucial away qualifier.

the-blue-harp
14/08/2009, 11:45 AM
now you see the difference from a leeds fan from leeds and a leeds fan from ireland, it was people from leeds that were killed that time, and I (a leeds fan too) just couldnt possibly associate myself with that as much as someone actually from leeds.

that booing was about the pride of the area and people from leeds not football. and certainly not two guys from limerick with half leeds half ireland scarfs on.

John83
14/08/2009, 11:47 AM
And can we please get Stephen Ireland ... back in the squad. FFS we need them so badly.
I've started systematically adding people who make this suggestion to my ignore list. It's made the Ireland sub-forum considerably more readable.

MeathDrog
14/08/2009, 12:33 PM
I've started systematically adding people who make this suggestion to my ignore list. It's made the Ireland sub-forum considerably more readable.
Clever.

Den Perry
14/08/2009, 12:39 PM
now you see the difference from a leeds fan from leeds and a leeds fan from ireland, it was people from leeds that were killed that time, and I (a leeds fan too) just couldnt possibly associate myself with that as much as someone actually from leeds.

that booing was about the pride of the area and people from leeds not football. and certainly not two guys from limerick with half leeds half ireland scarfs on.

I too would have booed Kewell...treacherous b astard. What Leeds site was this on?

Den Perry
14/08/2009, 12:40 PM

Wow!!

Duggie
14/08/2009, 12:42 PM
who the fck cares if harry kewell got booed by some people. i couldnt care less.

Lionel Ritchie
14/08/2009, 12:42 PM

Will you ever squat down and push. I'll take no lectures on which international opponents playing staff I should be making feeble attempts to abuse based on their behaviour at club level.

Incidently I alone have a half Ireland half Leeds scarf and it's been worn proudly at ER, LR, Germany and elsewhere.

Den Perry
14/08/2009, 12:44 PM
Will you ever squat down and push. I'll take no lectures on which international opponents playing staff I should be making feeble attempts to abuse based on their behaviour at club level.

Incidently I alone have a half Ireland half Leeds scarf and it's been worn proudly at ER, LR, Germany and elsewhere.

Lionel, what Leeds site was this on?

cheers

Hibernian
14/08/2009, 1:14 PM
my reaction to our result was that we were puke simple as that.

There was very few moments that nearly got me out of my stool (o dont worry Im not a barstooler I do go to home games just could not with work :) ) if im being honest.

But I think it might be best thing that happened.

At end of the day I rather loose 10-0 wednesday once we scrap a 1-0 win (i dont care how we win) over cyprus I think we will easily forget this game.

Two games Trap has lost have been 2 freindlies and even though its not nice to loose them the most important thing is we have got results when it mattered (take away Bulgaria at home) and thats what counts.

Lionel Ritchie
14/08/2009, 1:23 PM
Lionel, what Leeds site was this on?

cheers

Dunno Den. I think it was Drum69 was saying he saw it on a Leeds board. My guess'd be Waccoe.

Drumcondra 69er
14/08/2009, 1:38 PM
Dunno Den. I think it was Drum69 was saying he saw it on a Leeds board. My guess'd be Waccoe.

You guess right, there was a thread started on it yesterday morning on Waccoe which quickly degenerated into people fishing for a rise out of the Irish by suggesting we were so bad now that we should have to pre qualify along with the other minnows. :rolleyes:

I refrained from posting on it, much as I enjoy a fishing trip on occasion on certain sites I try not to take the bait myself!

eirebhoy
14/08/2009, 1:56 PM
Delorean, mcgeady does a lot of running, and holding the ball, if we are 1-0 up and we need to run down the clock then that is good, he gives us a bit more time with the ball before he gives it away. But as an attacking threat it is absolutely of no benefit if his end product always ends in the opposition getting the ball back, it completely negates any jizzy jazzy stuff.
Most of the passes to the strikers feet were coming from McGeady. There's more to "end product" than goals and crosses although he obviously has to really work on the goalscoring.

And yes Dunne did play well against Bulgaria away but like i said it was when we were under alot of pressure and balls were coming into the box at a fast rate. He is poor marking clever players like Tim Cahill (last night) who drop into smart areas and cause us problems..

He was motm against Torres. Enough said I think.

btw I read in the media that this is Trap's way of playing. I've never seen him play the long ball game like that on Wednesday. Thankfully it failed in a friendly. We don't have the players for that rubbish.

the-blue-harp
14/08/2009, 4:12 PM

i think your misunderstanding the sentiments of my post.

Lionel Ritchie
15/08/2009, 4:20 PM
i think your misunderstanding the sentiments of my post.

Then I'm happy to apologise and wind my neck in. :)

DeLorean
12/09/2016, 2:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp5LK4TwK4E

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 8:03 AM
Closed thread.