PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Sweeney gone to City

Counting Crow
04/02/2004, 10:40 PM
Guys, news in Cork is that we've signed Brendan Sweeney from you.

Any info on the guy - where does he play, what sort of player is he.
I've heard that he is 21 and played against Bolton in that friendly last season. Seem to remember that he played in midfield and did OK.

Any info would be appreciated.

LFC in Exile
05/02/2004, 9:10 AM
Great news for Cork - lousy news for us.

He is an excellent combative midfielder. Kind of like Alan Reynolds (or Judas as he is know by the Lee) - but a lot more to him. I think he will be well able to make the step up and from my visits to the Cross last season he is exactly what Cork need - someone to boss midfield - in fairness Georgie is never going to do that.

He is a Corkman - from Grange. Played with Douglas Hall. His picture is all over the clubhouse in St Colmans Park where he played youths and seemed to win every player of the year tophy going. At least in every pic he seems to be getting a trophy and Cobh don't win that much as a team.

If he gets a break he will do well. I really hope he makes it - partly because he always gave 100% for us and partly because I'd like to see Cork doing well and he could be an important player for them. It will be a great game if he plays against Kevin Hunt.

All that said - we are really in the sh it now. Arguably three of our best players from last year gone. Keating, O'Flynn and Sweeney. We have one striker left (even Twitch can't fill in) and no central midfielders.

Counting Crow
05/02/2004, 10:08 PM
LFC in Exile - thanks for the update.

Sounds like we have done well here.
It's a real pity you didn't go up - it would have been brill to be playing ye this season. Maybe next year.

Cheers.

LFC in Exile
06/02/2004, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
LFC in Exile - thanks for the update.

Sounds like we have done well here.
It's a real pity you didn't go up - it would have been brill to be playing ye this season. Maybe next year.

Cheers.

Maybe. But in fairness I reckon you guys are too good to go down. Butyou never know. :)

Counting Crow
07/02/2004, 3:30 PM
Nice one:D

Hey you can always pop out to UL - we're using it for pre season training this week.

If you ask nicely Dolan might give ye a friendly match.;)

JohnD
09/02/2004, 8:55 AM
Was in Tralee (the old Homestead!) yesterday and went to the games. Two games were scheduled Kerry U21 LOI team v Cork City and Cork City U21 v Tralee Dynamoes. As it turned out Cork City senios played Tralee as only 4 of the Kerry U21 team turned most of them were playing in FAI Junior cup game.

I met Sweens before the game and wished him all the best for the future. He played well , came on in the second half and Stevo played the full game upfront, alongside George. Fenn looks the business allright and there a few more English lads over as well on trial. Maybe we can get some of Dolans cast offs as he must have a large panel there.

Also spoke to Sweens Parents and they said Brendan did not sign as he heard "Things were bad above" ..Go figure what does that mean i wonder ?

6 Weeks and counting ..are we anywhere nearer having a squad ???

JohnD

joeSoap
09/02/2004, 10:21 AM
Hate to tell ye this then, but Paddy Purcell and Heffo were up training with Sligo Rovers this weekend:confused: :confused:

JohnD
09/02/2004, 11:02 AM
Ah for F**ks sake whats happening to this club ??? The Money given to the Manager is obviously too tight. I know that its down on last year ...just how are we supposed to get promoted with 10 players ????:mad:

gael353
09/02/2004, 11:06 AM
jesus ****en christ :mad:

JohnD
09/02/2004, 11:21 AM
Heared just from an official source Paddy is not training with Sligo but looks like Heff could be gone...the plot sickens!!!

Gael get back in training now..no more larking about in Spain we need you upfront !!

JohnD

joeSoap
09/02/2004, 12:46 PM
Paddy was training in Sligo at the weekend, I'm sad to say....and Don O'Riordan is very confident of signing them both, and I just had this verified by the soccer correspondent of the Sligo Weekender.
This would be nothing short of an unmitigated disaster!!

4tothefloor
09/02/2004, 1:49 PM
This is a disaster, we're in serious trouble if all of the above happens

ramblers04
10/02/2004, 10:23 PM
there was some fella from limerick up training with ramblers. do ye no who?

maineman
10/02/2004, 10:25 PM
Derek mc carthy i heard