PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney

Neil
04/02/2004, 7:53 PM
Handy signing IMO.
He played for the Cork Selection against Bolton and looked good in midfield. Still need another one though...!

DolansWaistcoat
04/02/2004, 7:57 PM
Sweeney who?Brendan?

Colm
04/02/2004, 8:05 PM
Don't know a whole lot about him but from what little I've seen and heard he seems like a good addition. Probably not the solution to our midfield problems though.

Neil
04/02/2004, 8:10 PM
Brendan Sweeney.
Played with Limerick last season.
Played with Ramblers before that I think...
Has been training with City all along.

Neil
04/02/2004, 8:13 PM
http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=12027&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes

soccercentral understands that Pat Dolan's Cork City are odds on to obtain the signature of Limerck FC's Stephen O'Flynn who was been courted by fellow Premier Division outfit St Patrick's Athletic.

O'Flynn had been tracked for some time by Saints boss Eamonn Collins and was offered a contract having visited Richmond Park last week for discussions with the Inchicore club.

However, it is understood that 21 year old Mallow native has decided to opt for Dolan's Rebel Army having been offered better financial terms that Pat's were unable to or unwilling to match or better.

Rebel Army bossPat Dolan commented to soccercentral "Stephen hasn't signed for us yet. We are in discussions but he has yet to agree personal terms."

City have already signed another 21 year old, Brendan Sweeney, from Limerick and Dolan added, "Brendan is a good young player and he's a nice addition to our squad."

Where O'Flynn fits into Dolans' plans is another matter entirely as City appear to have a sea of strikers already on their book including his namesake John O'Flynn, Kevin Doyle Neale Fenn and George O'Callaghan.

Pablo
04/02/2004, 9:27 PM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
Where has this news come from? Our squad is huge and that worries me alot!

well i guess we came unstuck last year when we had a few injuries so it might well be a good thing

DolansWaistcoat
05/02/2004, 8:30 AM
Sweeney will be a handy addition to the squad.I went to school with him and he played in the same side as Joe Gamble and they were both brilliant players then.

Snatch
05/02/2004, 9:13 AM
Great to hear about Brendan joining. I played with him at Douglas Hall and he was a great midfielder then. I posted on foot.ie before that City soud sign him.
He was very good when City payed a pre season friendly against Limerick in UL last year.

He is small yet very composed and skillful. A lot better than O'Grady IMO. Always good to have new Cork payers on the squad.

tiktok
05/02/2004, 9:14 AM
i know this is double posting but it's from the limerick forum in response to a query about sweeney........

Originally posted by LFC in Exile
Great news for Cork - lousy news for us.

He is an excellent combative midfielder. Kind of like Alan Reynolds (or Judas as he is know by the Lee) - but a lot more to him. I think he will be well able to make the step up and from my visits to the Cross last season he is exactly what Cork need - someone to boss midfield - in fairness Georgie is never going to do that.

He is a Corkman - from Grange. Played with Douglas Hall. His picture is all over the clubhouse in St Colmans Park where he played youths and seemed to win every player of the year tophy going. At least in every pic he seems to be getting a trophy and Cobh don't win that much as a team.

If he gets a break he will do well. I really hope he makes it - partly because he always gave 100% for us and partly because I'd like to see Cork doing well and he could be an important player for them. It will be a great game if he plays against Kevin Hunt.

All that said - we are really in the sh it now. Arguably three of our best players from last year gone. Keating, O'Flynn and Sweeney. We have one striker left (even Twitch can't fill in) and no central midfielders.

sounds alright to me if he can make the step up.

joeSoap
05/02/2004, 9:47 AM
Sweeney will definitely make the step-up...no problem. He's a combative midfielder, great tackler and passer, and is fairly decent in the air for a short-arse. He will easily make the grade in the premier, and from what I've seen of ye last season, he's exactly what ye need. O'Flynn signing today will give ye a few more options and bite up front. He will seriously trouble Fenn for a starting spot. I'd be backing ye to win the league after those two signings. Well done.
Of course, we'll be re-applying for league status having finished second last after being cleaned out by ye guys, but that's Life!!

one_bounce
05/02/2004, 10:35 AM
lads... are there any fees involved or were they both out of contract?.....have limerick been compensated in any way?
we could give them behan and k murray for the year!.....
bit of compassion;)

tiktok
05/02/2004, 10:55 AM
I think there would probably be some sort of fee involved since they're both under 23, but I'm not sure of transfer protocol. I'd hope we haven't screwed Limerick over though.

joeSoap
05/02/2004, 1:26 PM
We won't be eligible for anything for Sweeney as he's not been with Limerick for more than 2 years. Stevo though was, and was our best asset. Since we're broke, ye are loaded and Noel O'Connor is one of us, I'm sure we'll get whats coming to us.....ONE WAY OR THE OTHER

SÓC
05/02/2004, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by joeSoap
We won't be eligible for anything for Sweeney as he's not been with Limerick for more than 2 years. Stevo though was, and was our best asset. Since we're broke, ye are loaded and Noel O'Connor is one of us, I'm sure we'll get whats coming to us.....ONE WAY OR THE OTHER

Wont ye then in turn have to pay ourselves and Wimbleton a 5% of what ever we give ye?:D

joeSoap
05/02/2004, 2:57 PM
He was released by both Wimbledon and Ye, thus allowing us to sign him when he became a free agent. We still hold his registration, and he's under 23 so UEFA rules state that we're entitled to compo....We didn't release him, thats the difference.

Gary
05/02/2004, 5:48 PM
But wasnt Flynns first season with ye on loan from us?

If so, surely there is no compo to be awarded?

BillyConway
06/02/2004, 2:22 PM
sweeny is a good player and him and george could be good together in the midfield.

dermo
06/02/2004, 4:08 PM
I know him well , he lives in grange close by me . We 've seen him play a few times in Cobh and is a good midfielder, He should fit in well, he has been training with city for the last year or so , so Dolan knows what he is capable of, we wish him well.

jofyisgod
06/02/2004, 5:21 PM
I saw him training with City last season, and he looked fairly handy. Seemed to have fairly high fitness levels, and wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

Good signing IMO.