View Full Version : eircom League Characters

04/02/2004, 6:00 PM
Lads,

Who are the characters in the league that we all know and love .... from the weird and wonderful to the zany and ... (whatever rhythms with zany)

First up .....

1. Tom the Gom (Dundalk supporter)

The guy is madder than a sack of badgers, there are countless stories around about this guy.

2. Alan Hunter

Need we say anymore on this guy !!

3. ???

04/02/2004, 6:11 PM
I don't think Hunter could be said to really have any association with de league.

Ollie Byrne.

Estar
04/02/2004, 6:15 PM
Originally posted by A face
Lads,

You may add Kildare County, Dublin City, Bray w and Pat's supporter!:D

Can you spot him in the link?:D

Spot the cool Tom (http://gofree.indigo.ie/~mgillman/lk.htm)

04/02/2004, 6:17 PM

The guy is madder than a sack of badgers, there are countless stories around about this guy.

He was telling me at the Dundalk game in Whitehall last October that he was planning to give up following football, and go to live in a country cottage where there were "no Guards, no nuttin" to bother him. I get the impression he says that all the time, though.

He's not a Dundalk supporter, surely?

04/02/2004, 6:38 PM
Well the characters involved in Irish Football is what i meant to say.

TTG ... I always thought he was from Dundalk, i could be totally wrong here aswell. He is alway shouts for the underdog apparantly.

1. Tom the Gom

2. Alan Hunter

3. Ollie Byrne

Estar
04/02/2004, 6:42 PM
1. Tom the Gom

2. Alan Hunter

3. Ollie Byrne

4. Bray's "Seagull Muppet" - Tripped over a Kildare player last year:D (can be seen in the link above as well)

TheRealRovers
04/02/2004, 7:12 PM

He also say's he support's Rovers. He used to be all the time in The Showgrounds but not as much any more. I think's he from Cork

Bosco
04/02/2004, 7:17 PM
Hes always in flancare.I heard he was from cork.Apparently he used to work with CIE and has a free train pass

boynesider
04/02/2004, 8:47 PM
the guy is everywhere I was talking to him at united park,he's from Cork and " likes the ouldfootball" and yes always for the underdog. When asked what he'sdoing at a Drogs game
he said he goes where the good footballers are .
I once say him hichin a lift at 11:00 at night after a Night game at
FINN PARK.
Met him again at united park and asked him what game didhe goto the last weekend he said 2 on Friday and two on sunday
first half at Dalymount then a quick bus tripto Tolka for the 2nd half of a shels game. What a charecter.
I remember him givin out Sxxt at a Drogs and Dublin city game a couple of seasons ago at Whithall being a Sunday game Dermot keily, John gill, Stephen Kenny, Pat dolan, Joey Malone, eoin hand
et all where all togher having craic with Tom

The guy should be honoured by the FAI as the greatest living EL supporter.

Long live TOM

04/02/2004, 9:05 PM
Hes from cork and always used to be in Rathbane when we played there. He burnned the ears off us in Kildare last season so much so that wait for it, LIMSFAN told him where to to...then he offered him a lift back to Dublin. LIMSFAN hs to be added to that list

Estar
04/02/2004, 9:14 PM
gael353,

Are you the lad in the Limerick shirt in the above link (only one )?

05/02/2004, 9:08 AM
Tom the Gom is from Cork, and used to follow Cork Hibs. Now lives in Bray apparently.... Never give him a lift, as he stinks... Never talk to him or make eye contact or else you're stuck for evermore (until you start "We Hate Cork Hibs" songs and then he leaves you alone). He's regular in flancare too, and does make some bizarre match choices....

Alan Hunter isn't a character, he's a cĂșnt.... It's not even amusing, as the media give the credibility and publicity he obviously craves. Not once has his credentials been questioned.

Not going to start on Oily for fear of legal action

Anyway one for the list - yer man from Pats with the butchers hat (even if he does only sing when they're winning)

05/02/2004, 9:58 AM
Paddy Eccles

and he doesnt just sing when they're winning - he never shuts up!

05/02/2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Tom the Gom is from Cork, and used to follow Cork Hibs. Now lives in Bray apparently....

Tom is from and follows Cork, and he live sjust up the road from the Carlisle Grounds. Can be found most saturday nights in the small hours hurling abuse at everyone outside henery and rose chippers ! i remember when he used to have a massive wog of hair, he was the spitting image of Donnadoni !

05/02/2004, 10:44 AM
"frytex"
.shamrock rovers supporter from years ago.he used to wear
a red plastic wind breaker and he wasnt too fond of washing his hair (which was long).the hair rested against the jacket leading to
the grease from his hair soaking into the jacket.this resulted in a stain that got bigger each week.he just didnt give a toss even though they would shout out his name to his face.:D

Bosco
05/02/2004, 8:49 PM
Don't know what his name is but hes just a fella i'v noticed alot.Hes a rovers fan who looks like someone from hells angels,hes got long black hair,wheres a leather jacket over his rovers jersey and a bandana on his head and i tink he may have his nose pierced.Oh yeah and hes about 20 stone

parnell ranger
06/02/2004, 9:39 AM
we had a guy used to run 6 miles to st mels pk in wellies,when game kicked off he'd take out a matchbox ,slip one matchstick out the top(like an aerial)then proceed to commentate on the game.
Then he'd run the 6 miles home.

Breifne
06/02/2004, 11:23 AM
Tom the Gom was at nearly all Dublin City's home games last year, I actually met him on the DART the night of the Pats V Kildare FAI Cup game last season. He's got a couple of loose screws, but a great supporter all the same.

06/02/2004, 12:11 PM
I think Macy nailed Tom on the head, a legend as long as he's talking to somebody else but keep him away from me! I don't wanna here about how Shels and Bray are apparently trying to have us kicked out of the league while we're 2-1 down and trying in vain to find an equaliser away to Longford in the cup. I tend to leave him to gael353 to be honest. :)

06/02/2004, 2:55 PM
Glass Eyed Kid in Drogheda could be future eL character ;)

06/02/2004, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Never talk to him or make eye contact or else you're stuck for evermore (until you start "We Hate Cork Hibs" songs and then he leaves you alone).
I've spoken to him a few times (normally when he and I were the only people at Whitehall, thanks to my habit of arriving insanely early), and to be honest I don't think he remembered me from from occasion to the next. He's fairly easy to avoid when you're not in the mood.

06/02/2004, 6:50 PM
ah tom is a legend....always in flancare met him last season in tolka at the bohs shels game 3-1 to bohs and he gave me a xmas card.....he had thousands and handed them out to any one who knew him.....i lost it but twas nice at the time

07/02/2004, 2:33 PM
TOM THE GOM is an annoying man but an excellent supporter of the league. When I used to live in Roscommon, I saw him thumbing between Roscommon and Longford.

I heard a story about him a few years back when he was awarded best eircom league supporter of the year. His photo appeared in the papers and it was the only occasion that he was dressed in a tuxedo suit and not his normal scruffy self.

I rem two years ago bumping into him in O Connell St Baile Atha Cliath when I was going to the Drogs game in united park.

There are a few other characters: the long haired Sham Rovers gentlemen, the pats supporter who wears the hat the whole time ,Our very Butch tracey,

Carlin
07/02/2004, 7:30 PM
Don't know what his name is but hes just a fella i'v noticed alot.Hes a rovers fan who looks like someone from hells angels,hes got long black hair,wheres a leather jacket over his rovers jersey and a bandana on his head and i tink he may have his nose pierced.Oh yeah and hes about 20 stone

That's Big Dec

Bosco
07/02/2004, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by MARTINHO II
Our very Butch tracey,

How have we not mentioned butch yet

08/02/2004, 12:26 PM
a face

cant belive u forgot about our very own moses:D

08/02/2004, 12:52 PM
As far as i have heard the mysterious Tom the Gom is originally from Tipp.Not sure what part...Pure character though!

Ollie Byrne is a complete tw*t.I would not put him down as a character..Moses is a legend in the shed.I think there is always going to be something we all can say thats out of order.People have got a lot of laughs out of that guy over the years...

Roddy Collins was a character when he was with Bohs...
Pat Dolan is definetly one of the leagues characters...
Dublin fansin general are always characters to Cork fans.Very whitty people and great craic...

TommyT
08/02/2004, 4:57 PM
Tom originally from Kilarney. No mention of Rovers legend ''Bottler'' yet !

the scout
08/02/2004, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
No mention of Rovers legend ''Bottler'' yet !

or what about "paddy the provo" or "skull"

balls
08/02/2004, 6:34 PM
moses is a nutter. i watched him during a st pats and city game and he was just roarin abuse at liam murphy for about 85 mins. for the other five mins he just slagged deccy daly out loud.hes a great character.

dcfc_legend9
09/02/2004, 1:18 PM
the rovers fan Billy Lord

TommyT
09/02/2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by the scout
or what about "paddy the provo" or "skull"

Don't know ''skull'' but Paddy still goes.