PDA

View Full Version : Into the west

Ronnie
11/08/2009, 8:37 AM
Its August, its the cup and were off to Galway as rank outsiders. Whats our chances? We've struggled against the better teams in first division and Galway are a step up on that. Best we could hope for is to sneak a draw and a replay next week in Flancare?

De Town
11/08/2009, 2:07 PM
Hmmm, yeah, would definitely take a draw in this one. Will be fairly tough, Galway are solid enough this year. We can only hope they take us lightly and have an off night. I'm guessing McCarthy will be suspended after his goalkeeping display last week?!:oDon't know if I'm going to make it down to this, might have to work. Is there much of a crowd going? 2 buses were announced at the Shels match last week, would be great if they were both filled.

Martinho II
11/08/2009, 7:44 PM
Hmmm, yeah, would definitely take a draw in this one. Will be fairly tough, Galway are solid enough this year. We can only hope they take us lightly and have an off night. I'm guessing McCarthy will be suspended after his goalkeeping display last week?!:oDon't know if I'm going to make it down to this, might have to work. Is there much of a crowd going? 2 buses were announced at the Shels match last week, would be great if they were both filled.

from reading the longford news today Brian McCarthys suspended, Darren McKenna and Mick Foley are injured. I really hope that O'Leary will play as I heard Shanahan not eligible for the cup.. The only consolotion is mick lee is fightin fight again.. There will be a big travellin support I am afraid to say it I cant see us winning or drawing.. I would rather we finish as high up the table without any distractions as athlone,finn harps are in our grasp..

Salmon Coloured
12/08/2009, 11:57 AM
I can predict that a group of 6 to 7 lads will be in Naughtons around opening time on the Saturday, it mightnt get any better than that im afraid.
Who knows maybe a draw if were lucky. Heck id settle for an early goal for us followed by a backs to the wall saga for the remaining 80 minutes come what may.
Bring it................................................ ...........................

RonnieB
12/08/2009, 12:14 PM
What time is everyone up on the Friday at? I might try get up early for a few pre match pints...

Saturday I agree Naughtons looked after us well the last time for the breakfast... I also think a pub with a dartboard i.e. cooks could be a runner for some Saturday sporting brilliance.

Oh and as for the match I would be delighted with a draw. Going to be very tough.

Battery Rover
12/08/2009, 12:43 PM
from reading the longford news today Brian McCarthys suspended

If he got sent off in the last round of the cup yes. League sending offs from last week go to next league series but additional red card suspensions count in the cup

Also players who are due to commence suspensions as and from Wednesday, 12th August are suspended for this Cup tie.

Longfordian
12/08/2009, 12:53 PM
He's free to play on Friday so, he wasn't sent off in the last cup game. He'll miss the Limerick game plus probably another game seeing as that's his third red card I think.

Battery Rover
12/08/2009, 1:07 PM
Automatic Suspension in next FAI Ford Cup match as per FIFA directive

CHRIS SHIELDS (Bray Wanderers)

First team competitive

KEVIN DEERY (Derry City) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

RONAN FINN (U.C.D.) 1 MATCH Additional Red Card Suspension

DAVID McALLISTER (Shelbourne) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

GARETH McCURTIN (Wexford Youths) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

SHAUN McFAUL (Sporting Fingal) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

JOHNNY FLYNN-O’CONNOR (Wexford Youths) 1 MATCH 4 Yellow Cards

Technical Official

JOHN CARROLL (St. Patrick’s Athletic) 3 MATCHES

Ash
12/08/2009, 1:59 PM
If only both clubs could loose :p

Dont think Aaron is cup tied. John Mc played in goal for us against Kildare in the last round.
Aaron played in the League Cup against ye

Battery Rover
12/08/2009, 2:02 PM
Dont think Aaron is cup tied.

It depends on him being registered 14 days prior to the game

Longfordian
12/08/2009, 2:24 PM
Yes and as he apparently hadn't actually put pen to paper as of the Atletico Madrid game it would seem he wasn't registered in time.

Ash
12/08/2009, 2:40 PM
Never thought of the 14 day thing. Yep he only signed up after that game

gufc2000
13/08/2009, 10:08 AM
Looking forward to this, we need a lift after our desperate showing against Drogs. We should be at full-strength for the first time this season, only new signing Aaron Green is ineligible.

Many of ye heading to Terryland?

Pauro 76
13/08/2009, 10:20 AM
Shouldn't this read 'Into the Wesht'? ;)

Macy
13/08/2009, 11:37 AM
Shouldn't this read 'Into the Wesht'? ;)
From you, 'Into the Wesht, innit'

Claret Murph
13/08/2009, 11:37 AM
You just never know how this one could turn out , either side could win on the night . Again a cup tie anything is possible .

But i will go with 3-1 to United .

Longfordian
13/08/2009, 11:50 AM
From you, 'Into the Wesht, innit'

Proper banter on 'ere innit?.

Martinho II
13/08/2009, 7:19 PM
What time is everyone up on the Friday at? I might try get up early for a few pre match pints...

Saturday I agree Naughtons looked after us well the last time for the breakfast... I also think a pub with a dartboard i.e. cooks could be a runner for some Saturday sporting brilliance.

Oh and as for the match I would be delighted with a draw. Going to be very tough.

I hope to be in Galway for 6 pm.. Oh by the way thanks to Galwaygirl theres a kind invitation in fibber mcgees for town fans before the match to meet up with the galway fans and get treated with some finger food to line up the stomachs!
a draw would be fantastic.. apprently ian foster was impressed with the way that we played last weekend so hes expectin a battle!!

RonnieB
13/08/2009, 8:08 PM
Sound, im in Galway around Lunchtime so will be there beforehand.

Schumi
13/08/2009, 8:11 PM
I'm going to be in Galway tomorrow so I might head along to the game. Are you guys meeting in Fibbers beforehand?

Martinho II
13/08/2009, 8:16 PM
I'm going to be in Galway tomorrow so I might head along to the game. Are you guys meeting in Fibbers beforehand?

yep I wil be there schumi so give me a buzz!

Martinho II
13/08/2009, 8:17 PM
Sound, im in Galway around Lunchtime so will be there beforehand.

thats grand ronnie talk to u then! look forward to lubricating our voices!!

RonnieB
13/08/2009, 11:13 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Salmon Coloured
14/08/2009, 6:53 AM
Ill see ye all around 7pm as im headin up from Cork at 4. Cant wait & heres to a delightful weekend in the West, the real spiritual capital of Ireland.

Martinho II
14/08/2009, 12:13 PM
Ill see ye all around 7pm as im headin up from Cork at 4. Cant wait & heres to a delightful weekend in the West, the real spiritual capital of Ireland.

I will be up at six as I am coming from Carrick on Shannon. I was talkin to Eamon Donohoe last night and he confirmed to me that there will be cameras at the game tonight!!:)

sparkey
14/08/2009, 4:04 PM
I believe there should be a good crowd down from the Town for tonights game. Pascal is running a bus from town and they are staying overnight in Hanley Oaks Hotel out in Rahoon......

De Town
14/08/2009, 8:37 PM
We won! I'm shocked. Absolutely sickened I've missed this.:(

gufc2000
14/08/2009, 9:33 PM
Congrats lads, ye took ye're chance, we didn't take the 15 efforts or so on goal that we had. We wouldn't score if we were still there now

Terry-Lander
14/08/2009, 9:36 PM
Well done.

We need to send the entire squad to a brothel to see if they could even score there, but it's doubtful.

Mr Maroon
14/08/2009, 9:44 PM
Well done, lads.

We were a disgrace.

Pauro 76
15/08/2009, 12:02 AM
Well done Town, absolutely delighted!

Martinho II
15/08/2009, 7:34 PM
I am just back from Galway.. What a result what a night! I havent being this emotional in two long years.. In the first half after Neal McKenna was unfortunate to be sent off it was all Galway including their crowd! but once the second half started we got into it more and more.. Adrian Murphy was very unlucky with a spectaculor effort that just went over the crossbar leavin barry ryan stranded!

Brian McCarthy and Danny O'Leary kept us in the game!! Gradually town were winning the vocal battle on the terraces!Then the unbelievable happened Tom King broke clear on the right Galway stopped expecting a freekick king crossed and there was ronniebs fav player Lynchy who hit a super effort past Barry Fan.

Cue mayhem on the terraces.. I never ran so fast towards the touchline to celebrate with salmon coloured !Two years of hell finally came out and I was cleansed!! it took five minutes to find out who scored!

But the game wasnt over. Galway hit the post from a corner. Danny made a miraculous save to tip a strong Galway header over the bar!!The ref added on three minutes and then the whistle finally blew!

The celebrations were something else ! all the players and mgt came over.. Macca was giving high fives to everyone! The last time I felt good after a town victory was when we beat Shamrock Rovers one nil in Tolka with Moons late winner"

Seven long years for a wait in Terryland was finally over! Many thanks to the galway utd crew who hosted us in fibber mcgees before the match and in the goalpost afterwards!

It was brill catchin up with Galway girl ,Guisa ,ronan coleman. Let the celebrations begin and roll on the next round!:D

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON DA TOWN!!!

gufc2000
15/08/2009, 8:07 PM
I am just back from Galway.. What a result what a night! I havent being this emotional in two long years.. In the first half after Neal McKenna was unfortunate to be sent off it was all Galway including their crowd!
Had to go, it was an awful tackle. High and reckless. He could have seriously injured Russell. It was straight out from where I was sittting, and your man had only eyes on Russell....

Martinho II
15/08/2009, 8:18 PM
Had to go, it was an awful tackle. High and reckless. He could have seriously injured Russell. It was straight out from where I was sittting, and your man had only eyes on Russell....

fair enough point .we were on the opposite side .what about yer sending off? i thought that cooke did deserve to go for his tackle on tom king..

Mr Maroon
15/08/2009, 11:56 PM
fair enough point .we were on the opposite side .what about yer sending off? i thought that cooke did deserve to go for his tackle on tom king..

Cooke definitely deserved the red. It was a stupid tackle to even go in to. It was obvious that it was always going to result in him getting sent off. He'll be banned for three games now - I think we'll be better off without him.

gufc2000
16/08/2009, 10:53 AM
Definitely deserved to go, pure stupidity from Cooke. It was reckless aswell. Both red cards that were dished out were deserved

longfordjames
16/08/2009, 11:08 AM
**** women who make you go on holidays during the football season

RonnieB
16/08/2009, 5:36 PM
Just home :) What a result absolutely delighted. Liam Lynch, build him a statue now!

Martinho II
16/08/2009, 6:05 PM
Just home :) What a result absolutely delighted. Liam Lynch, build him a statue now!

He will be a legend in my eyes forever more.. good catchin up with ex longford town player and pal of ronnies adrian cregg on eyre square!! Also got talking to Seamie Crowes(ex Town player under Alan Matthews) dad in the goalpost and he was saying that Seamie is coaching kids in athenry gaa in the hurling.. One of the best weekends I had in a long time thanks to LIAM LYNCH! The best thing ever to come out of Ballinasloe!!

Martinho II
16/08/2009, 6:06 PM
and for the lynchs that played for us over the last eight years Alan and Eoin they wouldnt hold a candle to Liam ! :cool:

Pauro 76
16/08/2009, 9:21 PM
Xz7_3n7xyDg

Possible chant?

Macy
16/08/2009, 10:38 PM
Xz7_3n7xyDg

Possible chant?

I look forward to you trying at least...

sorbothegreek
17/08/2009, 3:04 PM
[QUOTE=Martinho II;1212426] What a result what a night! I havent being this emotional in two long years..

Two years of hell finally came out and I was cleansed!!

The last time I felt good after a town victory was when we beat Shamrock Rovers one nil in Tolka with Moons late winner"

[QUOTE]

Longfordian
17/08/2009, 3:15 PM
Two years of hell finally came out and I was cleansed!!!!

Praise the Lord, Brother!. Testify!. You have been saved!.

sorbothegreek
17/08/2009, 3:23 PM
Ah no, as Martinho said, it's been a while since we had any reason to go a bit spare at a game, but that was as good a reason as any that's likely to present itself any time this season (hopefully i'm wrong though).

The last 10 minutes were a throw-back to the cup runs of old. Adrian Murphy's shot that gave us some belief; the goal and the way it was scored; the Galway sending off, and the unbelievable close range tip over by Danny O'Leary.

It was the unlikely nature of it from the time we went down to 10 men that made it all the sweeter. Day's like that are what make's it all worthwhile.

Also a point of note, congratulations to the linesman and ref combo who on the night set a new Irish record for allowing an offside man to be ruled onside. 8 Meters or 26.24 feet. Well done lads.

Salmon Coloured
18/08/2009, 11:48 AM
Crikey but im only starting to feel like myself again after the weekend. What an absolute 100% top class all round few days in the West. I cant remember having that good a weekend in a long time.
I just wanted to post regarding some of the Galway United fans we met after the game who were a class act in the face of what would be justified bitterness. They were as humble & supportive of us as i have ever seen opposing fans being. No bad words nothing & congratulated us whole heartedly. Fair play lads & it was good to meet & chat to some of ye, good luck for the rest of the season. Its rare in this country you will get that after a game. We did a job on Cork City in the 2001 FAI Cup in a replay in Cork beating them 2-1 & to their teams credit they bet us in the final in 2007. On both occasions there fans were nothing short of a disgrace in the toilet that is the Horshoe bar in 2001 & directly after the final victory outside the RDS. The worst winners & losers i ever seen, not all of course but enough to brand em with.
Anyway back to Galway, we were in Naughtons for Saturday morning & what was a beautiful day, good beer & food was consumed. You must also ask us about the Incorrect Fact Fund folks, a sure way to stop sheit being spoken whilst under the influence.
I believe we play Mervue on October 9th in Galway so hopefully we will all make it down for that too. We have a party to finish..........