PDA

View Full Version : Most loved present Irish player

Ringo
11/08/2009, 6:44 AM
As some of you might know, I’m involved with the FAI shop. I was looking at the norm with most clubs /countries are to have jerseys with the most popular player names & numbers. Two problems, one, the republic don’t use squad numbers outside of the team being in The Euro/World cup finals. The present team seems to lack any member who is exclusively loved & admired. I’m thinking Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton etc. Is that a fair comment? While Robbie Keane might be our captain & most successful goal scorer, he seems to bring out the Irish begrudgery in a lot of people. Is it linked to their squads in the premiership?

theworm2345
11/08/2009, 7:09 AM
As some of you might know, I’m involved with the FAI shop. I was looking at the norm with most clubs /countries are to have jerseys with the most popular player names & numbers. Two problems, one, the republic don’t use squad numbers outside of the team being in The Euro/World cup finals. The present team seems to lack any member who is exclusively loved & admired. I’m thinking Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton etc. Is that a fair comment? While Robbie Keane might be our captain & most successful goal scorer, he seems to bring out the Irish begrudgery in a lot of people. Is it linked to their squads in the premiership?

I'm sure many are aware who it is for me personally, but I think for many it is Kevin Kilbane (he's also my second favorite Irish player). He may make some costly gaffes on occasion, but no one has ever questioned his heart or dedication when he pulls on the green jersey. He's scored some decent goals as well, I nearly hit the cieling when he scored against the Czechs and if it wasn't for his goals against the Faroes and San Marino both could have been even worse (I credit him not the little **** for San Marino). Shay Given and Richard Dunne are certainly up there too.

I have very little go off to compare it with how Irish fans feel/felt about Houghton and McGrath though.

ifk101
11/08/2009, 7:44 AM
While Robbie Keane might be our captain & most successful goal scorer, he seems to bring out the Irish begrudgery in a lot of people. Is it linked to their squads in the premiership?

It's more linked to Robbie himself. No doubt he is probably our best player and essential to the team's success, but he hasn't made himself accessible to the public and his frustrated arm waving, followed by his little jigs on the field of play will not endear himself to anyone.

irishfan86
11/08/2009, 8:12 AM
I've got Robbie's name on the back of my jersey, but there's no stand out figure on our team that everybody likes.

Robbie seems to split people, but would probably be the most liked among casual fans. Dunne and Given are the most popular among "real" supporters I'd say, but even with this not many would put their names on a jersey.

Duff and Doyle would also be up for consideration too I'd reckon, maybe McGeady because of the Celtic contingent.

Drumcondra 69er
11/08/2009, 10:00 AM
Not sure about names on the back of shirts, Kilbane would do a bomb in Cult Hero type T shirts like the Zinedine Kilbane ones of a few years back.

Hibs4Ever
11/08/2009, 10:17 AM
Kilbane

kennedmc
11/08/2009, 10:22 AM
to me this is a no brainer:

Shay Given by a mile......

Kilbane has a cult following which doesn't equate to most popular

tiktok
11/08/2009, 10:27 AM
Kilbane for me too.

I think Duff/Dunne are the most likely to fall into the 'popular' bracket though.

paul_oshea
11/08/2009, 11:01 AM
After seeing what duff did after the ireland v bulgaria game i would have to go with him.

Though dunnie and given would be there or there abouts for me too.

gustavo
11/08/2009, 11:02 AM
http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=115312

magnumpi
11/08/2009, 11:03 AM
kevin doyle everytime. maximum effort, his talents under-rated, and no arm-waving / moaning that don't endear people towards keane.

back of the net
11/08/2009, 11:07 AM
1) kilbane 2) Given 3) Doyle for me

paul_oshea
11/08/2009, 11:11 AM
ya the country type players(kilbanes family all being from the country in ireland that is).

There is something more innocent, honest and endearing about them. Still though duffer is up there too.

Crosby87
11/08/2009, 11:30 AM
What about Ger Crossley?

rambler14
11/08/2009, 11:48 AM
Kilbane's the one.............a modern day Cult Hero

Razors left peg
11/08/2009, 11:54 AM
After seeing what duff did after the ireland v bulgaria game i would have to go with him.

Though dunnie and given would be there or there abouts for me too.

What was that? I was out of the country for that game

drummerboy
11/08/2009, 11:54 AM
Cult hero definitely Kevin Kilbane. Top guy, I really appreciate his his effort for his country over the years and its sad to see it coming to an end soon. He would make top class manager.

As regards most vaulable player to the team, well its a pick between Given, Dunne and Keane.

Junior
11/08/2009, 1:20 PM
I love Kilbane and like alot of the posters on here have also suggested, Im mustn be alone. But "most popular"? I see and hear the guy getting ridiculed at every game I attend and on internet forums regularly so Im not sure what type of reaction you'd get if you had Kilbane on a shirt in your shop.

Ringo
11/08/2009, 1:24 PM
Thats the problem as i see it:o

Drumcondra 69er
11/08/2009, 1:28 PM
Thats the problem as i see it:o

That's why it really only works for Kilbane on the like of Cult Hero T-Shirts. Same with Gary Breen, got regulalry slated yet everyone in Japan loved singing 'We all dream of a team of Gray Breen's'.

John83
11/08/2009, 1:48 PM
I'd say Dunne's the most universally loved. Keane's too divisive - lots of whiners on here about his work rate, scoring rate, whining at the ref, etc. Kilbane's a huge cult hero, but there's still no shortage of people who regard him as a donkey who should be put out to pasture. Duff's widely liked, but hasn't been as consistently a match winner as Dunne in the past few years. Given is the only real contender, but I think Dunne's stock is a little higher with Irish fans right now.

Brendan 82
11/08/2009, 1:55 PM
Given for me, so many huge performances. I also really like Robbie Keane. His goal in 2002 against Germany is one of favorite moments as an Ireland supporter; after such a frustrating match it was amazing to see that goal, lovely knock down by Quinner too:). Beyond that, obviously Dunne comes to mind, along with Kilbane and Doyle

punkrocket
11/08/2009, 3:10 PM
Instead of having some players surname on the shirt why not put the country's name in big capital letters?

tricky_colour
11/08/2009, 3:34 PM
How about a one with a struck out "Stephen" followed by "Ireland"?

So you have a Stephen with a big X through it followed by Ireland?

I would warn you thiis could be a terrible idea ;):D but I though I would 'air' it.

tricky_colour
11/08/2009, 3:36 PM
Instead of having some players surname on the shirt why not put the country's name in big capital letters?

I only read your post after I made the one above, but I suppose you could have an optional struck out Stephen above it.

carloz
11/08/2009, 7:11 PM
John O'Shea for me. Just such a likeable lad who gives everything for us and is becoming a damn fine player for us after a shaky start to his international career. Don't know why but i really like Folan after only seeing him a couple of times for us

philliyk
11/08/2009, 7:49 PM
Defo Shay for me - always one of the first to come & applaud/appreciate the fans at the end of the game closely followed by Kilbane then Doyler.

geysir
11/08/2009, 9:23 PM
Shay has everything in abundance that a fan could hope to see in a top player for their team, professionalism at all times, class player and respect for the fans.
It is no coincidence that he is also the outstanding Irish player of this decade.
Even in defeat and with crappy teams he is a beacon for fans.

The Legend
11/08/2009, 10:47 PM
i love Kilbane's commitment to the cause and agree with the cult hero thing, but im surprised so many are choosing him first, cause lets face it, hes just not a very good footballer.

sligoman
11/08/2009, 10:50 PM
Stephen Hunt?

Wexford Delboy
12/08/2009, 1:14 AM
stephen hunt is a mouth piece o shea has been a revelation for us this season doyle is solid..imo kilbane has been a great player for us but in recent times hes past it so id say numer one is between dunne/oshea and given

MeathDrog
12/08/2009, 1:31 AM
Doyle for 100% effort.

tricky_colour
12/08/2009, 2:00 AM
stephen hunt is a mouth piece o shea has been a revelation for us this season doyle is solid..imo kilbane has been a great player for us but in recent times hes past it so id say numer one is between dunne/oshea and given

Hunt is only 4 letters so you can make them bigger, also cheaper if you are paying by the letter, just make sure you get the first letter correct or you might get arrested! :D

punkrocket
12/08/2009, 8:31 AM
I'd agree with a lot of the others on here and go for Given, the thing is he's a goalkeeper and that grey jumper of his doesn't look great - may not sell so many.

endabob1
12/08/2009, 8:53 AM
Given is the one player who doesn't really divide fans, everyone I know seems to like him and rate him.

OwlsFan
12/08/2009, 9:09 AM
Robbie seems to split people, but would probably be the most liked among casual fans. Dunne and Given are the most popular among "real" supporters I'd say, but even with this not many would put their names on a jersey.

Not sure what the definition of a "real" supporter is. Anyone who does the business for Ireland is deserving of support, whether they wave their hands in the air or not. It's just an idiosyncrasy of Keane's. Annoying but doesn't lessen his commitment or goals.

Kilbane - can't fault his dedication but he's not a full back and the tide for him will soon turn if he continues to make mistakes. Such is the nature of the football fan.

Given - class keeper but was behind the goal when he went the wrong way every time in Korea for the penos. That memory will stay with me but undoubtedly one of the best players of the recent generation.

Doyle - would like him to score more but very effective otherwise and much loved by LoI fans.

Dunne - has been a collossus in many recent games.

John O'S - improving no end especially since he has been given a run in the Man U team.

McGeady/Duffer - have the talent to break down defences that few other teams have.

As to which is the favourite, probably Robbie as a reaction to the stick he gets from some despite being our all time goal scorer by A MILE. Only in Ireland....

SunderlandBohs
12/08/2009, 11:06 AM
Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid

Scram
12/08/2009, 12:00 PM
Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid

I love them too ;)

back of the net
12/08/2009, 12:39 PM
i love Kilbane's commitment to the cause and agree with the cult hero thing, but im surprised so many are choosing him first, cause lets face it, hes just not a very good footballer.

been most loved player doesnt necessarily mean you have to have the attributes/technical ability of a great player

so many ppl are choosing him (myself included ) cos of his never ending commitment,passion and pride he shows for the jersey and to the fans

The guy may not be world class in terms of ability but is world class in terms of the above traits....absolute legend

tetsujin1979
12/08/2009, 1:05 PM
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Gary Mackay yet, surely the player most beloved by Irish soccer fans?

christo
12/08/2009, 2:27 PM
Robbie Keane would have to be mine (who couldn't love him after his goal against Italy), along with Given and I usen't to like O'Shea but he has been great this campaign for us

paul_oshea
12/08/2009, 2:45 PM
"It could, but if I don't get to 100 I could say, hand on heart, I've had the time of my life in the Irish squad. That's in victory and defeat, to be honest," says Kilbane

back of the net
12/08/2009, 3:30 PM
"It could, but if I don't get to 100 I could say, hand on heart, I've had the time of my life in the Irish squad. That's in victory and defeat, to be honest," says Kilbane

i just logged on to post the above quote myself Paul...but u beat me to it

It says it all about the man.