PDA

View Full Version : Jay O'Shea

longfordjames
10/08/2009, 6:32 PM
http://www.advertiser.ie/images/2008/10//2754_thumb.jpg

Official Birmingham site (http://www.bcfc.com/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10412~1749761,00.html)

Good luck Jay I hope you make it.

sheao
10/08/2009, 9:11 PM
Best of luck Jay,hopefully we will see you playing the in premiership in no time.

peadar1987
10/08/2009, 9:19 PM
Good luck Jay!

Does anyone know if Bray had a sell-on clause for him?!

Longfordian
10/08/2009, 9:41 PM
Sacked him didn't ye?. "D'Oh!" springs to mind. I think ye may still get some kind of training compensation, though I'm unsure if that's affected by ye sacking him rather than him leaving.

Dunny
10/08/2009, 9:51 PM
Poll on MNS site about this. (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/index.html)

Will Jay O'Shea make more of an impact than Keith Fahey should his move to Birmingham City go through?

longfordjames
10/08/2009, 9:53 PM
It has gone through.

Dunny
10/08/2009, 9:55 PM
It has gone through.
mns@rte.ie (mns@rte.ie)

gufc2000
10/08/2009, 10:04 PM
Good Luck Jay, we'll miss ya. Hope you make it over there

DmanDmythDledge
11/08/2009, 3:31 AM
Good luck Jay!

Does anyone know if Bray had a sell-on clause for him?!
Bray will get some cut of the deal, nothing to do with a sell on clause though. It depends on how long he was with you though. It doesn't look like it will be much though.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4529&Itemid=318

Solidarity Payments
If the same move had occurred when the player was in contract, the transfer fee would have been negotiable and 5% of this amount would then have been distributed pro-rata to all clubs involved in his training since the age of 12

Solidarity Contribution - Payment breakdown

When a professional moves during the course of a contract, 5% of any compensation, with the exception of Training Compensation, paid to his Former Club shall be deducted from the total amount of this compensation and distributed by the New Club as a solidarity contribution to the club(s) involved in his training and education over the years (calculated pro rata if less than one year) he was registered with the relevant club(s) between the Seasons of his 12th and 23rd birthdays, as follows:
Season of 12th birthday: 5%
Season of 13th birthday: 5%
Season of 14th birthday: 5%
Season of 15th birthday: 5%
Season of 16th birthday: 10%
Season of 17th birthday: 10%
Season of 18h birthday: 10%
Season of 19th birthday: 10%
Season of 20th birthday: 10%
Season of 21st birthday: 10%
Season of 22nd birthday: 10%
Season of 23rd birthday: 10%
Total = 100%

Da Real Rover
11/08/2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe I just didnt see enough of him but my general impression was that he was over rated.
Definetly talented but to put him in the same bracket as Keith Fahey I think is a little silly.

peadar1987
11/08/2009, 11:31 AM
Bray will get some cut of the deal, nothing to do with a sell on clause though. It depends on how long he was with you though. It doesn't look like it will be much though.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4529&Itemid=318 (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4529&Itemid=318[/QUOTE)

By my reckoning that earns us about €4000. Still better than nothing I suppose!

Buller
11/08/2009, 11:49 AM
By my reckoning that earns us about €4000. Still better than nothing I suppose!

It will pay for a new wall ;)

A championship move would have been ideal for him. I doubt he'll make an impact anytime soon at Birmingham. Still good luck, would be delighted he proves me wrong!

Schumi
11/08/2009, 11:52 AM
A championship move would have been ideal for him.
I doubt Salthill could afford the transfer fee tbh.

Hulsey
11/08/2009, 12:34 PM
Sacked him didn't ye?. "D'Oh!" springs to mind. I think ye may still get some kind of training compensation, though I'm unsure if that's affected by ye sacking him rather than him leaving.

Think he was allowed leave on a free rather than sacked. There was talk of a free transfer with a sell on clause at the time but no idea if that was true or a rumour. Was muck with us anyway :p

pateen
11/08/2009, 4:24 PM
Anyone know what Galway got. Anything over 100K is good business.

Not close to Fahey IMO

Terry
11/08/2009, 5:24 PM

Not close to Fahey IMO

no where near €100K, far, far less from what i hear (although it could come to that with the add ons).......bray supporters expect only a few hundred quid if anything at all. :(

gufc2000
11/08/2009, 5:31 PM

Not close to Fahey IMO
I think around E70k plus add-ons. Nick had no option but to accept due to our financial situation

ger121
11/08/2009, 10:27 PM
I think around E70k plus add-ons. Nick had no option but to accept due to our financial situation

I think that's going to be the story for all clubs now. Small transfer fees as most clubs can't afford to hold out for more or players leaving for free when their contracts expire. Sad state of affairs:(

Mr Maroon
11/08/2009, 10:47 PM
I've heard a lower figure than that.

Terry
12/08/2009, 6:37 PM

try closer to €50k plus add-ons !

peadar1987
12/08/2009, 7:33 PM
That makes it closer to €500 Bray will be getting. I was working off the €400k bid Derby reportedly put in for him, stupid assumption really.

Terry
15/08/2009, 7:53 PM
a source close to jay says that he will be on the bench for the match in old trafford tomorrow.

eamo1
15/08/2009, 10:22 PM
I'll be watching Galway Minor Hurlers tomorrow but ill keep an eye on the Man Utd game to see does he play.Would be great to see him get a run.:).

brianw82
15/08/2009, 10:25 PM
a source close to jay says that he will be on the bench for the match in old trafford tomorrow.

They seem to have a good few injuries alright. It doesn't bode well for them if Jay is on the bench so soon after signing. A stuffing could be on the cards....

sheao
16/08/2009, 12:06 PM
Jay O'Shea is on the bench for Birmingham's match against Man United.

gustavo
16/08/2009, 12:07 PM
Fair play to him , hope he gets a run out too . Fahey starts anyway

fergalr
16/08/2009, 12:34 PM
Where else in the world would you be able to source a premiership grade footballer for less than 100k euro?

Its a funny old league where many clubs pay way over the odds in wages/bonuses to mediocre players and yet we have situations like this where talent is flogged to the UK for peanuts.

Terry
16/08/2009, 12:49 PM
Where else in the world would you be able to source a premiership grade footballer for less than 100k euro?

Its a funny old league where many clubs pay way over the odds in wages/bonuses to mediocre players and yet we have situations like this where talent is flogged to the UK for peanuts.

he wasnt "flogged to the uk" , galways hands were financially tied. That few quid helped to keep the club afloat for another couple of weeks. If we could have got a better deal Im sure we would had gone for it, but that was the best on offer at what was probably our last chance of making a few shillings on the player.

thischarmingman
16/08/2009, 1:22 PM
Jay O'Shea is on the bench for Birmingham's match against Man United.

Fair play to him , hope he gets a run out too . Fahey starts anyway

Brilliant, I'm thrilled for both of them.

The Lilywhites
16/08/2009, 2:12 PM
O'Shea has just come on!

Dunny
16/08/2009, 2:12 PM
He's on.

Maroon 7
16/08/2009, 2:30 PM
O'Shea has just come on!

Jaysus that was quick. Thought he wouldn't see any first team action for a while. From Terryland to Old Trafford in a week.:D

The Midget Gem
16/08/2009, 2:31 PM
I think McLiesh gambled putting him on, hoping he'd do something special.
The lads first thing to do was to take on Evra who made him look like a fool, o'shea ended up on his arse, then up again to shoulder him only to fall back down. Then in the last 2mins he got the ball wide and put in a hopeless cross. Other than that nothing much else, he got it the odd time and passed succesfully. Oh he was skint by Giggs on one occasion.

Fahey looked quality on the other hand imo.

showgies
16/08/2009, 2:38 PM
Good to see the two lads playing at this level - can only reflect well on our league

gufct
16/08/2009, 2:40 PM
Very positive post from a Sligo Fan.

Kildare Lad
16/08/2009, 3:11 PM
The lads first thing to do was to take on Evra who made him look like a fool, o'shea ended up on his arse, then up again to shoulder him only to fall back down. Then in the last 2mins he got the ball wide and put in a hopeless cross. Other than that nothing much else, he got it the odd time and passed succesfully. Oh he was skint by Giggs on one occasion.

Pretty accurate summary there I would say. But nonetheless was happy for him to make his debut in Old Trafford. Best of luck over in England Jay.

Fahey looked really comfortable and composed everytime he got the ball too.

fergalr
16/08/2009, 4:19 PM
he wasnt "flogged to the uk" , galways hands were financially tied. That few quid helped to keep the club afloat for another couple of weeks. If we could have got a better deal Im sure we would had gone for it, but that was the best on offer at what was probably our last chance of making a few shillings on the player.

So, to ask again, where in the world can an EPL team pick up a premiership-ready player for less than 100k euro (or even 50k if some other posters are to be believed).

So you overspend and then fire-sale your assets when the inevitable cash crunch occurs. That is simply shockingly bad business.

Delighted for O'Shea by the way - best of luck to him.

Razors left peg
16/08/2009, 4:26 PM
So, to ask again, where in the world can an EPL team pick up a premiership-ready player for less than 100k euro (or even 50k if some other posters are to be believed).

So you overspend and then fire-sale your assets when the inevitable cash crunch occurs. That is simply shockingly bad business.

Delighted for O'Shea by the way - best of luck to him.

he was out of contract in couple of months so it was either take what was offered or loose him for free... its not rocket science

longfordjames
16/08/2009, 4:37 PM
His season aint over till May not wise throwing him straight into the deep end.

Mr Maroon
16/08/2009, 4:40 PM
he was out of contract in couple of months so it was either take what was offered or loose him for free... its not rocket science

We would have gotten compensation for him if he'd left at the end of the season.

bluewhitearmy
16/08/2009, 4:43 PM
Slagging off his performance is a bit of a joke the lad has just gone frrom galway to play in old trafford deserves a bit of credit. I wish him luck with birmingham.

longfordjames
16/08/2009, 4:44 PM
2 - Never thought I would say this but the right side might be a problem for us......Larsson had a quiet game for his standards and O'Shea clearly is not ready for this level just yet....too lightweight but I ain't gonna slate him after just 15 minutes....could be one to watch against lesser opponents and needs to be drawn into action gradually......a lot like Mutch I would imagine.....Maybe Old Trafford wasn't the place to introduce

From Birmingham forum I agree.

DmanDmythDledge
16/08/2009, 5:01 PM
Birmingham had a load of injuries so that's why he got a chance so quickly.

Razors left peg
16/08/2009, 6:43 PM
We would have gotten compensation for him if he'd left at the end of the season.

Im not certain about that since it is an international transfer. Think that only applies within the individual countries

gufc2000
16/08/2009, 6:52 PM

He's only been there a week, he needs beefing up. Be happy for the lad

sonofstan
16/08/2009, 6:59 PM
RTE 6.1 report referred to the new Irish signing for Birmingham 'James O'Shea' - no mention of where he signed from, and they'd obviously never heard of him before.

DmanDmythDledge
16/08/2009, 7:13 PM
Im not certain about that since it is an international transfer. Think that only applies within the individual countries
No, it would have applied. Would have been ~€60k.

WoodquayBoy
16/08/2009, 9:25 PM
Very positive post from a Sligo Fan.
It was a very honest post. Delighted fror him and all that, but he looked completely out of his depth, MidgetGem got it bang on. And I totally disagree with Terry'st about getting the best possible deal for O'Shea, yes we are in financial trouble but still sold him on the cheap, something McLeish acknowleged last week