PDA

View Full Version : If your club went out of business...

Pages : [1] 2

peadar1987
10/08/2009, 4:34 PM
What would you do? Would you switch your allegiance to the next nearest club, adopt another LOI club, stop following domestic football?

I would say that if Bray went out of business I would start going to watch one of the Shankill sides in the LSL. My next nearest LOI club is UCD, but as a Trinity graduate I would rather travel to Derry every week than follow that shower! That leaves Shams, who I could see myself keeping an eye out for, but never going every week to watch them, or cheering when they score.

foot.ie members with an irrational hatred of hypothetical situations need not reply to this thread.

Mr A
10/08/2009, 4:39 PM
I'd put my energies into bringing Harps back into existence.

Hopefully it does not come to that.

Longfordian
10/08/2009, 4:40 PM
Athlone have nice jersies. I could see myself wearing one.

micls
10/08/2009, 4:40 PM

Spot on.

My club wont go out of business, worst case scenairo the holding company does, and the clubs senior team doesnt have an FAI license, but the club itself is going nowhere.

jinxy lilywhite
10/08/2009, 4:43 PM
I wouldn't watch LOI football until another Dundalk based side entered.

brendy_éire
10/08/2009, 4:44 PM

Basically that. Whilst supporting Institute more in the meantime.

The Lep
10/08/2009, 4:47 PM
When Dublin City folded i couldnt support a team i was shouting against with city so i didnt go to any matches although i was watching out for Drogheda's results. Seeing that i live in the Fingal area i was pleased to hear of the plans to get a Fingal team into the A championship and i was all set to go and watch them play. It was a bonus when they got into the first division. If Fingal happened to go the same way as Dublin city then unless a local side made the step up to senior soccer then i wouldnt be going to any other league matches.

marty
10/08/2009, 4:51 PM
Been a Cobh fan we"re often linked with the club heading into the red but in fairness theres not many Cobh fans would start following City.Maybe if they were members run like Shams I could change but no way under their current regime

De Town
10/08/2009, 4:52 PM
Athlone have nice jersies. I could see myself wearing one.
:eek:

Longfordian
10/08/2009, 4:55 PM
It's all about the jersies, everything else is irrelevant.

Mr A
10/08/2009, 5:07 PM
Basically that. Whilst supporting Institute more in the meantime.

Yes, but what if Harps had not folded along with Derry?

Lamper.sffc
10/08/2009, 5:26 PM
Its a tough one. If fingal went then like lep I would find it hard to support another club I was shouting against. Since shels would be the nearest club to me and our main rival the last season and a half, it would be a definite no for supporting them. So maybe Bohs if they moved out this way in the future. (Hav nt had an oportunity to dislike them for any reason yet)

sonofstan
10/08/2009, 5:38 PM
Can see myself going to the odd Pat's match, funnily enough.

tiktok
10/08/2009, 5:52 PM
My club wont go out of business, worst case scenairo the holding company does, and the clubs senior team doesnt have an FAI license, but the club itself is going nowhere.

What she said!

Dodge
10/08/2009, 5:55 PM
Can see myself going to the odd Pat's match, funnily enough.

First step to a full recovery. congrats!

Black and White
10/08/2009, 5:56 PM
I would rather go support Monaghan than Drawda for the simple reason of stopping in Culloville on the way for some very cheap pints!! If and hopefully not and never, Dundalk where to go bust some day, I would get heavily involved in setting up a new club in the town!

sonofstan
10/08/2009, 5:57 PM
First step to a full recovery. congrats!

Management rather than recovery. methadone rather than cold turkey.

superfrank
10/08/2009, 6:01 PM
If Wanderers disappeared, I couldn't support an existing LoI club but if a new Bray or Wicklow one came about, I'd give them a go.

De Town
10/08/2009, 6:19 PM
If the Town were to go bust, I don't think I'd follow another existing LoI team. I'd still keep track of it all, probably pop down to an Athlone or Sligo game from time to time, but I wouldn't support another team. Would follow another Longford team if they were to be set up. Just hope I'm never faced with this situation though!

Hairy Bowsie
10/08/2009, 6:21 PM
I'd stop supporting domestic football.

bluewhitearmy
10/08/2009, 6:21 PM
If my team went and didnt come back as Athletico limerick this time id still go to some league of ireland games but wouldn't support another club.

Martinho II
10/08/2009, 6:41 PM
strangely enough when the town were in the leinster senior league and athlone were in the league of ireland there were a lot of our fans going to Athlone town games.. If history was to repeat itself I would probably be a partime Athlone fan... But I would also go to Galway Utd Sligo Rovers and Monaghan Utd matches too..

eamo1
10/08/2009, 7:00 PM
If Galway Utd went totally out of business even out of the A championship then i wouldnt support Mervue or Sligo.I really dont know what i'd do.Friday nights would be weird without a game to go to and watching the odd game on TV would be near meaningless.A scary thought to be honest.

GalwayRed
10/08/2009, 7:07 PM
If shels went out of business id only ever be able to support a new club set up by the fans and id want to be involved with that.
In terms of the league id probably jus go to a few mervue and galway united games but i wouldnt be able to properly support them.

sheao
10/08/2009, 9:13 PM
If Cork went out of business(and we nearly did in the last few weeks) ,i would definatly support a new club that would be set up in Cork ideally by the supporters of City. It's either that of going to watch Waterford,Limerick and Cobh and i honestly could'nt see myself doing that.

Kildare Lad
10/08/2009, 10:06 PM
If Kildare County went out of business I would end up supporting Rovers or Pats (but if a club from Kildare were ever to come back to the league they would regain my support). I see myself as much of a fan of the league as I am Kildare County and when clubs play in european competitions I find myself supporting them as if they were my own club, so if my club were to go out of business I would still like to support the league

Sam_Heggy
10/08/2009, 10:29 PM
I would obviously head in and support Derry city whilst ripping out my eye balls with barbed wire and sitting in a bath of boiling tar.

irishultra
10/08/2009, 10:34 PM
what are the chances of 2 clubs going out of existence ;)

peadar1987
10/08/2009, 10:39 PM
I would obviously head in and support Derry city whilst ripping out my eye balls with barbed wire and sitting in a bath of boiling tar.

That's the problem with football these days. The traditional terraces are gone, replaced with a soulless expanse of boiling tar.

joema
10/08/2009, 10:44 PM

Spot on.

Not always as easy as that!

Ye are lucky that enough people actually seem to care!

SMorgan
10/08/2009, 11:05 PM
I would rather go support Monaghan than Drawda for the simple reason of stopping in Culloville on the way for some very cheap pints!! If and hopefully not and never, Dundalk where to go bust some day, I would get heavily involved in setting up a new club in the town!

No way!!! It has to be remembered that when Dundalk FC were at their lowest ebb, during the foot-n-mouth crisis, Monaghan United give the club a right kicking and nearly forced the club out of business. There are still some that won't go Monaghan matches because of what they did and others that will go but ensure that Monaghan get no additional money from them.

sligoman
10/08/2009, 11:13 PM
It has to be remembered that when Dundalk FC were at their lowest ebb, during the foot-n-mouth crisis, Monaghan United give the club a right kicking and nearly forced the club out of business.What happened there?:confused:

PartySaint
11/08/2009, 1:12 AM
If Pats went out of business and there was no club set up by the fans there is no way i could support another club, I would still follow the league, thats the great thing about living in Dublin i would be still able to go to a match everyweek and have a good choice........well choice anyway

brendy_éire
11/08/2009, 7:38 AM
Yes, but what if Harps had not folded along with Derry?

Aye, but Stute are a Derry team. I kind of support ye's at present, but ye's would still be second though. ;)

davidatrb
11/08/2009, 8:08 AM
Probably Monaghan United for me. Would know half of their players already.

SunderlandBohs
11/08/2009, 8:20 AM
If Bohs went bust I wouldn't follow any other LoI team but still follow the league. I'd bring my kids to the odd Sporting Fingal or Drogheda Utd game to let them get an interest in local football.

Snoop Drog
11/08/2009, 8:29 AM
Management rather than recovery. methadone rather than cold turkey.

Very logical- Quite a few methadone users at Pats as it is.

tiktok
11/08/2009, 8:43 AM
I'd stop supporting domestic football.

The silver lining to the 'Shelbourne going bust' cloud? :D

Steve Bruce
11/08/2009, 8:45 AM
If Linfield went out of business, I would be lost to local football. I just wouldn't have the heart to follow anyone else.

I'll just put my name on the Man Utd ST waiting list and go to United games 6- 10 times a year.

Mr A
11/08/2009, 8:55 AM
No way!!! It has to be remembered that when Dundalk FC were at their lowest ebb, during the foot-n-mouth crisis, Monaghan United give the club a right kicking and nearly forced the club out of business. There are still some that won't go Monaghan matches because of what they did and others that will go but ensure that Monaghan get no additional money from them.

Not sure what this is about, but if you find a yourself in a position where Monaghan United can put you out of business, fingers should be pointing closer to home, not towards Gortakeegan.

pineapple stu
11/08/2009, 9:03 AM
Nonsense. <Insert the club I support here> have never been responsible for anything bad ever. Even when our groundsman repeatedly ran over a little kitten, it was because he was possessed by an evil spirit from Tolka. And anyway, the FAI should have stopped us doing it.

Magicme
11/08/2009, 9:06 AM
I find it almost impossible to do with out my Friday fix so would find myself in United Park quite often. They have always been my 2nd team as my brother lives there and have friends up there - none of which support the Drogs, and it would become my mission to drag them to games.

shep
11/08/2009, 9:18 AM
I find it almost impossible to do with out my Friday fix so would find myself in United Park quite often. They have always been my 2nd team as my brother lives there and have friends up there - none of which support the Drogs, and it would become my mission to drag them to games.

A Monaghan fan that has Drogs as their 2nd team!!!!

Hang your head in shame:D

stann
11/08/2009, 9:30 AM
I would show my true colours as a biding-my-time Blue and devote all my energies into getting a league club for Tramore. :D

Mayo Red
11/08/2009, 9:42 AM
I'd support Galway United......not!!!:eek::D

Magicme
11/08/2009, 9:48 AM
A Monaghan fan that has Drogs as their 2nd team!!!!

Hang your head in shame:D

No if I had Dundalk as my second team I would have reason to hang my head in shame and would get beaten up by my colleagues!! :p

Da Real Rover
11/08/2009, 9:51 AM
Id look out for Mervue or Shams results purely because of family.
But would never be able to support them like Rovers.

White Horse
11/08/2009, 9:58 AM
I suppose I'd start going to see local junior clubs. I couldn't see myself supporting another LOI club.

I'm old enough to remember a time when quite a few Dundalk fans (particularly those from Ardee/mid Louth) looked out for Drogheda as a second team due to them being from Louth. My Dad and I used to go to United Park when Dundalk were playing in Cork, Limerick, or places quite far away.

However, in the last 20 years, Drogheda fans started this whole anti-Dundalk thing that has alienated Dundalk fans.

Now I wouldn't go near the place.

John83
11/08/2009, 9:58 AM
The silver lining to the 'Shelbourne going bust' cloud? :D
There's a cloud?

ndrog
11/08/2009, 9:59 AM
The next time Drogs go bust im gonna go to oriel pk every second wk and support whoever craptown are playing ;)