PDA

View Full Version : McCAREY UP FOR CHALLENGE OF ST PAT'S

Magicme
10/08/2009, 12:03 PM
McCAREY UP FOR CHALLENGE OF ST PAT’S – by Julie-Ann Sherlock

One of the most naturally talented players to come out of the Monaghan United Juvenile set up, Aaron McCarey, has been pulling on the number 1 jersey regularly for his club at senior level despite being only 17 years old. McCarey has risen through the juvenile ranks and has always punched above his weight having played a year or 2 above his age level in recent years as his ability and stature have grown rapidly.

United’s FAI League of Ireland team manager Mick Cooke signed the young goalkeeper to the senior squad back in January as a back up to Brendan Kennedy, Ronan McGann and Charile Treacy with a view to giving him a few games to help speed up his development. Illness and injury allowed McCarey an opportunity to show what he was made of and he has made himself a regular feature of the squad and has proven that he has what it takes to play against the best the League’s First Division has to offer.

“I was totally shocked the other week when an hour before the game against Waterford, Mick told me I would be in goals. Waterford are looking like they will be promoted and this was a big game for us” McCarey said “I was delighted to get between the posts. I have kept 4 clean sheets in the last 4 games with the help of a well organised back four and I hope that we can continue to do well”.
As the youngest member of United’s squad McCarey is delighted to be getting such a good opportunity to play for his club. “We face St Patrick’s Athletic in the FAI Ford Cup next Friday (14th August) and I would love if Mick put me in goals. It would be such a great experience to play against one of Ireland’s biggest teams and a good test for me against a team who could be in the group stages of the Europa Cup”

Aaron hopes that the cup run can continue and is hoping that St Pat’s recent busy weeks may give Mons a chance to advance. “St Pat’s have the Premier Division and their European games going on and we have a good chance to cause an upset as they may be feeling tired and we have been playing well. There is a great buzz in the squad now after the blip early in the season and training with Pat McGibbon has been excellent and Brendan Kennedy really knows his stuff and he also puts me through my paces so I am learning a lot under them”

Aaron has pulled on the Ireland jersey at underage level for many years now and hopes that he can continue to feature in future squads. “Things are quiet on the International front at the moment but I am hoping that I will feature in the Under 18 squads for friendlies next year and I know the experience I am getting in the League will stand to me and hopefully make me a better player”

Competition for the number 1 jersey at Monaghan United is strong but so is Aaron. Ambition, talent & dedication wrapped up in a 17 year old is a heady mix. Watch out world!

Magicme
15/08/2009, 12:39 AM
And boy was he up for it! Well done Aaron. 17 yrs old and won man of the match against St Pats. Dead proud of him.

Martinho II
15/08/2009, 8:19 PM
And boy was he up for it! Well done Aaron. 17 yrs old and won man of the match against St Pats. Dead proud of him.

it will be interesting what he will be like when we play ye in two weeks? many scouts out to see the boy? and are you his agent by any chance? you swear you were on commission!!;)

Dodge
15/08/2009, 8:33 PM
Didn't realise he was only that age when looking at him last night. Seemed so confident and assured. A guy in the bar afterwards reckons he's off to Wolves.

5 clean sheets ina row is excellent at any level

Magicme
15/08/2009, 8:43 PM
Wolves have been sniffing but not sure what the story is yet. He was due to sign for Southampton before their financial problems and now they are not signing any young players. He was training with Dundee when they were over here so there is a good bit of interest in him, its just a matter of time I think before someone signs him.

Marty I wish I was his agent, should be a bit of money to make on him! I have known him since he was about 12yrs old and he is not only really talented but a lovely fella and all at the club are very proud of him and his Republic of Ireland achievements and are delighted that he has made the grade at senior level at a young age.

Oh and Dodge, am very disappointed in you! You never introduced yourself to me and have been dying to put a face to the name.

Dodge
15/08/2009, 8:52 PM
Oh and Dodge, am very disappointed in you! You never introduced yourself to me and have been dying to put a face to the name.

I'm the shy type. Plus I like to keep a little mystery in my life ;)

Magicme
15/08/2009, 9:02 PM
I'm the shy type. Plus I like to keep a little mystery in my life ;)

Meh. Will get soccerc to unveil you sometime for me! :D

Martinho II
16/08/2009, 6:35 PM
Wolves have been sniffing but not sure what the story is yet. He was due to sign for Southampton before their financial problems and now they are not signing any young players. He was training with Dundee when they were over here so there is a good bit of interest in him, its just a matter of time I think before someone signs him.

Marty I wish I was his agent, should be a bit of money to make on him! I have known him since he was about 12yrs old and he is not only really talented but a lovely fella and all at the club are very proud of him and his Republic of Ireland achievements and are delighted that he has made the grade at senior level at a young age.

ah thats nice about mccarey instead of busby babes we will call you magicmes babes!!

Magicme
16/08/2009, 6:49 PM
Ha ha. No way. The womens team almost got the nickname Witchies Warriors so can do without another nickname!

monutdfc
17/08/2009, 8:03 PM
I have known him since he was about 12yrs old and he is not only really talented but a lovely fella and all at the club are very proud of him and his Republic of Ireland achievements and are delighted that he has made the grade at senior level at a young age.
That's the thing, Aaron has been around the club since he was knee high, even before he was playing underage; he's like a member of the family.

Magicme
18/08/2009, 12:11 PM
And thats what makes you extra proud of his achievements. He is a Mon.

Ash
18/08/2009, 1:16 PM
And thats what makes you extra proud of his achievements. He is a Mon.

Is that Nordie speak for he's a man :D :p

Magicme
18/08/2009, 3:12 PM
Ha ha. Aye!

aidz1
16/09/2009, 3:18 PM
is it true he has signed for some club in england??

Longfordian
16/09/2009, 3:31 PM
Heard from somebody who was asked to come in and coach him recently that he was off to Wolves, whether that's on trial or a transfer I don't know.

pineapple stu
16/09/2009, 4:10 PM
Didn't realise he was only that age when looking at him last night.
Same after watching him against us.

Seemed so confident and assured.
Can't agree with this, though (obviously, we were watching different games). Spilled a couple of shots which were straight at him and with power. Pulled off a couple of good (camera-happy) saves, but his handling was suspect overall.

But if he gets a move upwards, best of luck to him.

Magicme
17/09/2009, 3:43 PM
is it true he has signed for some club in england??

No, not yet.

Heard from somebody who was asked to come in and coach him recently that he was off to Wolves, whether that's on trial or a transfer I don't know.

He was over at Blackburn and Wolves over 2 weeks on trial and both clubs are keeping an eye on him. A Charlton scout was also at the St Pats game in Richmond and there are 1/2 other clubs keeping him under their watchful eyes so who knows.

Same after watching him against us.

Can't agree with this, though (obviously, we were watching different games). Spilled a couple of shots which were straight at him and with power. Pulled off a couple of good (camera-happy) saves, but his handling was suspect overall.

But if he gets a move upwards, best of luck to him.

Everyone has an off day and to be fair to him, he had just been through 3 massive weeks, 2 weeks of trials and 4 games including the game against Pats. He is usually a very competent young man!

Conroy
17/09/2009, 5:01 PM
Hopefully if he does go to england he'll make it onto the plane this time:oIm sure magicme know's the story.

Magicme
18/09/2009, 8:40 AM
Get over it Conroy.

Conroy
18/09/2009, 1:11 PM
Get over it Conroy.

Was'nt intended like that at all , Sorry.

It's quiet funny though, Sorry if you picked it up wrong.:ball: Nice chap Aaron only knew him through footie and Him going on trials with my best Mate. He's a bit of a nutter:D

Magicme
18/09/2009, 1:16 PM
No probs Conroy. He is one of the soundest lads. Have known him since he was smaller than me (years ago now!) and have always thought he had it in him to move up in the football world.

As for being a nutter, I know you mean it in the best way and arent goalkeepers meant to be funny gits? :D

Magicme
25/09/2009, 12:08 PM
McCarey has signed for Wolves go to www.monaghanunited.com for more

aidz1
25/09/2009, 12:28 PM
McCarey has signed for Wolves go to www.monaghanunited.com for more

is he to remain at monaghan for the rest of this season>?

Magicme
25/09/2009, 12:44 PM
He will be here until the end of the season and moves to Wolves in January.

Martinho II
25/09/2009, 6:34 PM
its a great move for the wee lad... I hope ye have a clause in his deal in case if ever he wins senior caps.. Whatever happened to Jonathan Douglas ex Ireland and Mons?

Magicme
25/09/2009, 7:56 PM
Of course we did Marty!

Jonathan is at Swindon Town now. Young Mark Connolly who signed from us to Wolves has moved on to Bolton now too.

gufc2000
25/09/2009, 8:22 PM
Will ye get a fee for the lad or is he out of contract? Ye are surely entitled to compensation

Magicme
25/09/2009, 8:46 PM
Don't worry GUFC2000, our chairman is as tight as a cavanman and wouldnt let him go for nothing! We are blessed to be in the position that we dont HAVE to sell any players so we were able to negotiate a good deal for us.

gufc2000
25/09/2009, 8:56 PM
Don't worry GUFC2000, our chairman is as tight as a cavanman and wouldnt let him go for nothing! We are blessed to be in the position that we dont HAVE to sell any players so we were able to negotiate a good deal for us.
Thats good, ye're a model club the way ye run yereselves

Magicme
25/09/2009, 9:02 PM
There is always room for improvement but we try!

Magicme
16/10/2009, 4:15 PM
A really nice piece of journalism from our local newspaper on Aaron in case anyone wants to have a look go to

http://www.monaghanunited.com/page12.htm

Martinho II
16/10/2009, 5:33 PM
A really nice piece of journalism from our local newspaper on Aaron in case anyone wants to have a look go to

http://www.monaghanunited.com/page12.htm

thats journalism at its best.. didnt know mccarey is commuting from wolves to monaghan once a week for matches??:confused:

Magicme
16/10/2009, 9:45 PM
Yeah he started going over for training recently. Its great for him. I sit in the press box with Peter every 2nd week and while I have always admired his work, the poetry in that piece was him at his best!

PartySaint
16/10/2009, 11:33 PM
Don't worry GUFC2000, our chairman is as tight as a cavanman .

Hahaha thats a brilliant phrase:D:D

Martinho II
17/10/2009, 5:15 PM

jaysus when I first read that thought you said tight as a caveman!:D

Magicme
18/01/2010, 3:36 PM
Aaron is due to make his debut with the Wolves reserves tonight against Chelsea. His International Clearance Cert & Registration etc all went through today so he is ready to role and is now an official Wolverhampton Wanderers player!

Good luck Aaron! Dead proud of him.

aidz1
19/01/2010, 9:57 PM
Report of his debut here:
http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/ReservesReportDetail/0,,10307~1936785,00.html

Magicme
21/01/2010, 10:47 AM
Nice little interview with him on Wolves website here (http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~1938280,00.html)

pineapple stu
21/01/2010, 10:57 AM
Nice to see them misspelling his name two different ways in that match report!

Magicme
21/01/2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah its comforting to know that even clubs in the Premiership can have media officers who make mistakes!!