PDA

View Full Version : Gamble to leave Cork

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
10/08/2009, 10:00 AM
can't remember a player being so, eh, forthright in his views

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0810/1224252313245.html

I signed a contract last year for three years, and four weeks later it’s not worth the paper it’s written on,” he said. “I was due six weeks’ wages on Thursday and the lads got 40 per cent of a month’s wages but I only got 20 per cent.

“What loyalty is that to show to me? I only got 20 per cent of a month’s wages. They can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and you can put that in the paper because I’m well p***** off at the moment. You tell me anyone who will work for six weeks and then get 20 per cent of a month’s wages.

Steve Bruce
10/08/2009, 10:03 AM
Couldn't happen to a classier guy

shep
10/08/2009, 10:07 AM
Really cant blame the guy.Every right to be fuming

Mr A
10/08/2009, 10:10 AM
He's spot on. The Cork players have been fed lies and horsecrap over and over again.

Steve Bruce
10/08/2009, 10:15 AM
Really cant blame the guy.Every right to be fuming

I do agree with that.

But if it had to happen to any player in the LOI, it would be him I would pick.:D

sonofstan
10/08/2009, 10:38 AM
I do agree with that.

But if it had to happen to any player in the LOI, it would be him I would pick.:D

What did he do to you? (i'm probably forgetting something really obv. - my memory's not what it used to be....)

adamd164
10/08/2009, 10:41 AM
We NEED him to go. Badly.

That's what it comes down to. We've let go of 5 so far, but 3/4 more need to follow suit.

Dodge
10/08/2009, 10:47 AM
What did he do to you? (i'm probably forgetting something really obv. - my memory's not what it used to be....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ffOQyk7gY

razor
10/08/2009, 10:52 AM
What did he do to you?He gave an imperious man of the match performance in a game we bossed from start to finish only to be struck down in the final seconds by a sucker punch via the curse of the man of the match.

Can't blame the guy at all but we need him to go, he is one of our top earners.

SunderlandBohs
10/08/2009, 10:53 AM
He seems a little anger! Can't blame he for been anger. I'd be the same if it was me. But he has to realise you can't get blood from a stone. It's unfair on a lot of players they're just like us. I'm sure Joe Gamble has a mortage to pay and other bills just like anyone else.

Ash
10/08/2009, 10:53 AM
Signing a LoI contract is always going to be a Gamble

Taxi for 1

sonofstan
10/08/2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ffOQyk7gY

Of course..... the football molestation claim....

disabledrog
10/08/2009, 11:13 AM
according to sum cork fan on here not to long ago he had chances to go before but wanted to stay and play for cork>yea right pull the other one lads.
why hasnt anyone come in for him?like he is an international.
its unfair on all players in his position but hes a free transfer and der aint a que of clubs waiting for him is der/hes a good player but der is obviously question marks over his att.

superfrank
10/08/2009, 11:15 AM
hes a good player but der is obviously question marks over his att.
If George O'Callaghan can find club after club, then surely Joe Gamble, who for the most part has a much better attitude, can easily get a new club.

tiktok
10/08/2009, 11:30 AM
according to sum cork fan on here not to long ago he had chances to go before but wanted to stay and play for cork>yea right pull the other one lads.
why hasnt anyone come in for him?like he is an international.
its unfair on all players in his position but hes a free transfer and der aint a que of clubs waiting for him is der/hes a good player but der is obviously question marks over his att.

He has had chances to go before, other clubs have expressed an interest in him but he's been happy in Cork, he's got a family to look after and was well settled. His attitude is very good, go ask any manager he's played for [incl. Matthews], this interview was recorded in what were incredibly trying circumstances, and his anger is understandable

He probably regrests not going to St.Pat's now, given how things have turned out. He'd add a lot to any midfield in this country, great player. His lack of goals is his only downside.

On an aside, cut out the text speak, it's really annoying.

Straightstory
10/08/2009, 11:38 AM
On an aside, cut out the text speak, it's really annoying.

Glad you noticed this - it drives me mad, too.

sheao
10/08/2009, 11:46 AM
Sadly he was always going to leave City given the circumstances. You cannot blame him because he has a faimply to provide for and bills to pay. City fans cannot hold any grudge against Joe should he leave.

SunderlandBohs
10/08/2009, 11:55 AM
A footballer on a free from Cork! Roy Keane will be the first flight to Cork to snap him up!!:eek:

seand
10/08/2009, 12:24 PM
Can't blame him. i think he is reluctant to leave Cork because he has a family who are well settled here. Sad to see this happen. Hopefully that **** Coughlan will drop dead or something. He's slowly destroying our club

Give the man some credit, he's only there a couple of months...

tiktok
10/08/2009, 1:27 PM
Give the man some credit, he's only there a couple of months...

Awful attempt at a wind-up, you'll have to cast a better class of bait to get a bite.

John83
10/08/2009, 1:39 PM
Awful attempt at a wind-up, you'll have to cast a better class of bait to get a bite.
Indeed. For inspiration, review the kinds of things Doolin has said about Corkies.

Longfordian
10/08/2009, 1:42 PM
I thought he was referring to the slowly killing our club bit. I reckon he's doing it pretty quickly in the grand scheme of things.

John83
10/08/2009, 1:44 PM
I thought he was referring to the slowly killing our club bit. I reckon he's doing it pretty quickly in the grand scheme of things.
With the head start he had? Roddie and Rocky would have had the club on its knees by Christmas.

tiktok
10/08/2009, 2:33 PM

:D
Maybe so, if that's the case seand, i apologise and will nominate your post for post of the month

Wangball
10/08/2009, 3:30 PM
Don't be aurprised to see him end up at Motherwell in the SPL, mate of mine is a fan and a rumour has started over that way already

micls
10/08/2009, 4:27 PM

:confused:He's from Cork, he's settled in Cork, he has a young baby in Cork and he's getting paid good money to play football here.

Why would it be hard to believe he wanted to stay?

why hasnt anyone come in for him?

Eh, they have.

Depends on how you define queue.....

Whya re there question marks over his attitude?

Mr A
10/08/2009, 4:33 PM
:confused:He's from Cork, he's settled in Cork, he has a young baby in Cork and he's getting paid good money to play football here.

Why would it be hard to believe he wanted to stay?

Because it's Cork. :)

micls
10/08/2009, 4:42 PM
Because it's Cork. :)

:D And yet players who play for us seem to use that as a reason to stay rather than go, including the many many players from outside Cork who settled down here even after stopping playing for us, Dave Hill, Michael Nwankwo, Jason Kabia, Gerard Dobbs etc etc

seand
10/08/2009, 4:55 PM
:D
Maybe so, if that's the case seand, i apologise and will nominate your post for post of the month

Twas the case alright ... I was surprised to see someone claim Coughlan was killing the club slowly, I thought he was doing it in double quick time...
even by Cork clubs' standards :p ;)

Weatherman
10/08/2009, 5:42 PM
Dont think a big club will sign him if he had to defer a knee operation! great player and he has a point! TC promised him the world when he signed that contract well knowin that he wouldnt be able to back it up imo.

bellavistaman
10/08/2009, 5:52 PM
cant blame gamble at all, hes dead right. Have to say the lads a joy to watch when in top form.

don ramo
10/08/2009, 6:25 PM
but at the same time, how much has gamble made from his loyalty to cork, wasnt he on E2500 a week for the 2 years before he signed the new one last year, which was over E3000 a week, surely he was putting 10% away in case something happened:D

surely he could go and get a job in cork and play part-time, or is he to used to teh lifestyle now,

or maybe he could do full-time for a more reasonable wage like i dunno E600 a week, that more than an average workers wage, thats 40 people at a game would cover his wage, surely he could show exactly how "loyal" he is,

De Town
10/08/2009, 6:27 PM
Bit off topic but does Gamble not own a clothes shop in Cork city aswell? Joint owned with Neal Fenn maybe? Or am I just thinking things :confused:

Dodge
10/08/2009, 6:31 PM
but at the same time, how much has gamble made from his loyalty to cork, wasnt he on E2500 a week for the 2 years before he signed the new one last year, which was over E3000 a week, surely he was putting 10% away in case something happened:D

surely he could go and get a job in cork and play part-time, or is he to used to teh lifestyle now,

or maybe he could do full-time for a more reasonable wage like i dunno E600 a week, that more than an average workers wage, thats 40 people at a game would cover his wage, surely he could show exactly how "loyal" he is,

Why should he? There's absolutely no diubt that he's been loyal to Cork, but there's only so many times a bloke can be messed about

He's entitled to do whatever the hell he lkes with his money (savings or blow it all on whores is immmaterial) and he's entitled to get the money he;s owed from his employers.

John83
10/08/2009, 9:24 PM

or maybe he could do full-time for a more reasonable wage like i dunno E600 a week...
Just wow. I know what would happen if an employer of mine, guilty of numerous bounced pay cheques, suggested I take an 80% pay cut because I'd 'made enough from my loyalty' to the company, and anyway, surely I'd been putting a bit away. But, hey, maybe I'm just used to my lifestyle.

don ramo
10/08/2009, 10:01 PM
Why should he? There's absolutely no diubt that he's been loyal to Cork, but there's only so many times a bloke can be messed about

He's entitled to do whatever the hell he lkes with his money (savings or blow it all on whores is immmaterial) and he's entitled to get the money he;s owed from his employers.

Just wow. I know what would happen if an employer of mine, guilty of numerous bounced pay cheques, suggested I take an 80% pay cut because I'd 'made enough from my loyalty' to the company, and anyway, surely I'd been putting a bit away. But, hey, maybe I'm just used to my lifestyle.

doesnt really matter no club is gonna be paying the kind of money he was on at city any more, well in LOI anyway, so what is he gonna do,

Dodge
10/08/2009, 10:03 PM
doesnt really matter no club is gonna be paying the kind of money he was on at city any more, well in LOI anyway, so what is he gonna do,

Whats your point?

osarusan
10/08/2009, 11:21 PM
so what is he gonna do,
Go to a club that offers more, the same or (most likely) less, but actually pays him.

don ramo
11/08/2009, 12:58 AM
Go to a club that offers more, the same or (most likely) less, but actually pays him.

no club in the country can guarantee that over a 3 year period, well maybe 2-3, but something tell me gamble wouldnt want to play for them,

can anyone name a club that can guarantee gamble a 3 year cintract on E3000 a week or more, and honour the 3 years,

PartySaint
11/08/2009, 1:24 AM
can anyone name a club that can guarantee gamble a 3 year cintract on E3000 a week or more, and honour the 3 years,

Real Madrid

Torn-Ado
11/08/2009, 1:37 AM
I signed a contract last year for three years, and four weeks later it’s not worth the paper it’s written on,” he said. “I was due six weeks’ wages on Thursday and the lads got 40 per cent of a month’s wages but I only got 20 per cent.

“What loyalty is that to show to me? I only got 20 per cent of a month’s wages. They can f*** off as far as I’m concerned and you can put that in the paper because I’m well p***** off at the moment. You tell me anyone who will work for six weeks and then get 20 per cent of a month’s wages.

Try saying that in a Cork accent. Lol

razor
11/08/2009, 5:44 AM
Bit off topic but does Gamble not own a clothes shop in Cork city aswell? Joint owned with Neal Fenn maybe? Or am I just thinking things :confused:He did at one point but that closed a few years back.

but at the same time, how much has gamble made from his loyalty to cork, wasnt he on E2500 a week for the 2 years before he signed the new one last year, which was over E3000 a week,So he is now being paid more under Coughlan than he was getting under Arkaga? Doubtful

brianw82
11/08/2009, 6:21 AM

Was he not on something like 800 a week, and Pats were offering him treble his wages last summer? That may be where you're getting the 2.5K figure.

Salmon Coloured
11/08/2009, 8:22 AM
Its at this point id like to summon the ghost of the 2007 FAI Cup final & that of the faithful American Ian Wexler playing for Longford Town on the day. You may remember Gamble decking him when he came on & kissing the muscle in his right arm IIRC? Anyway on behalf of Ian Wexler & my general "Meh" attitude to Corkies id also like to reflect the same gesture upon Mr. Gamble by kissing my right arm. An arm with a Euro sign tattoed on it.
If any of the Sligo Rovers FC Ian Wexler fan club would like to offer support for this piece of nostalgia please feel free to join in. Id also like to nominate myself for classiest post of the day............................................

Duggie
11/08/2009, 1:45 PM
Real Madrid

hahaa :D

micls
11/08/2009, 1:54 PM

Hahahahahahaha :D

Its at this point id like to summon the ghost of the 2007 FAI Cup final & that of the faithful American Ian Wexler playing for Longford Town on the day. You may remember Gamble decking him when he came on & kissing the muscle in his right arm IIRC? Anyway on behalf of Ian Wexler & my general "Meh" attitude to Corkies id also like to reflect the same gesture upon Mr. Gamble by kissing my right arm. An arm with a Euro sign tattoed on it.
If any of the Sligo Rovers FC Ian Wexler fan club would like to offer support for this piece of nostalgia please feel free to join in. Id also like to nominate myself for classiest post of the day............................................

Wexler was a big girls blouse. Whinging about a fair shoulder 2 seconds after fouling Joe.

Dry his eyes for him....

sligoman
11/08/2009, 2:01 PM
If any of the Sligo Rovers FC Ian Wexler fan club would like to offer support for this piece of nostalgia please feel free to join in. Id also like to nominate myself for classiest post of the day............................................Was at the game but didn't remember that bit. Discovered it on youtube yesterday though. Gamble looks like a clown kissing his arm, so far up himself.
CWz2DEcSkqM

Wexler was a big girls blouse.:eek:, Blasphemy!

Shilts
11/08/2009, 2:30 PM
Gamble is one of the few class acts in the LOI.
He has been treated very poorly by City...as have all the players.
Their loyalty has been thrown in their faces.
They have been labeled greedy when they only took what was offered.
In Gamble's case he took what was offered only to find that the club had no right to offer that amount given its circumstances. To do this to Joe who had another offer on the table at the time was very unfair. I hope this all works out for Joe and his teamates, but given that Mr. Coughlan knows nothing about business or football, I think not.

BTW Given that City owe their players/staff a small fortune, how much do they owe in total? Everybody thinks now that the revenue are paid that they are clear. Not so...big time.
Also, now that everybody here is discussing Joe Gamble's wages... How much is Tom Coughlan paying himself???
Is he only collecting 20% also!!!

punkrocket
11/08/2009, 3:35 PM
.....blow it all on whores is immmaterial...

Freudian slip there Homer?

Rovers1
11/08/2009, 3:40 PM
Wexler was a big girls blouse. Whinging about a fair shoulder 2 seconds after fouling Joe.

Dry his eyes for him....

You don't know what you're getting into..:mad: