PDA

View Full Version : Attendance for Wednesday

ParkLife
10/08/2009, 9:32 AM
Any ideas? Will it be a sell out?

prince20
10/08/2009, 9:39 AM
Any ideas? Will it be a sell out?

Report in the paper this morning saying only 18000 tickets sold. it mentioned capacity as 26500

elroy
10/08/2009, 9:52 AM
With stand tickets at 55 quid id be surprised if they sell out, terraces will probably be full. €55 for a friendly in Thomond is OTT by the fai and does them no favours.

ParkLife
10/08/2009, 9:52 AM
18,000 not bad..and I'm sure there'll be a last minute rush for some tickets... could go to 21/22,000. Still bothers me that we get a chance to go to a game without having to travel to Dublin and people still won't go!!

jbyrne
10/08/2009, 9:58 AM
Report in the paper this morning saying only 18000 tickets sold. it mentioned capacity as 26500

not sure they are saying 18,000 sold yet. more that they expect the crowd to be about that. agree that the stand prices are about €20 too much.

Claret Murph
10/08/2009, 10:24 AM
Hummmm I would be happy if 20,000 plus turned up but this has been very low key so far . Still really looking forward to see what Limerick has to offer .

tetsujin1979
10/08/2009, 11:01 AM
According to the Limerick Leader, they're expecting 20,000 at it: http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/Irish-squad-prepare-for-tantalising.5538813.jp

elroy
10/08/2009, 12:40 PM
According to the Limerick Leader, they're expecting 20,000 at it: http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/Irish-squad-prepare-for-tantalising.5538813.jp

If the weather is good (i wouldnt hold my breath considering its limerick) then likely to get an extra 1 or 2k more on the night. Would like to see it get to 90-95% of capacity. Realistically this game wouldve sold out no hassle if the stand tickets were a bit more reasonable.

Mayo Red
11/08/2009, 9:39 AM
Realistically this game wouldve sold out no hassle if the stand tickets were a bit more reasonable.

Would have to agree with you there, €55 for stand tickets for these friendlies is a bit steep, especially when the FAI have claimed aswell that playing these games outside of Dublin is a sort of a payback for all those fans around the country who normally travel up for the games!

zenokelly
11/08/2009, 10:16 AM
From the FAI website

Tickets for the Republic of Ireland friendly against Australia tomorrow are available for €25 (NOW SOLD OUT), €35 (NOW SOLD OUT) and €55 (East and West stands) and selling quickly. Tickets are available through www.ticketmaster.ie and the outlets listed below.

Greedy FAI:rolleyes:

ParkLife
11/08/2009, 12:13 PM
Greedy FAI agreed..but it's good to see that it's selling out. Hopefully there'll be a decent atmosphere!!

paul_oshea
11/08/2009, 3:39 PM
the above proves to me at least that all tickets would have been snapped up had htey been 35 euro or less. Still how much did they have to pay munster rugby for the use of thomond park?!

micls
11/08/2009, 3:41 PM
Still bothers me that we get a chance to go to a game without having to travel to Dublin and people still won't go!!

It's not that I wouldnt go I just couldn't afford that price and wasn't organised in advance enough to get terrace tickets. Didnt realise the prices would be so high for a friendly against Australia

old git
11/08/2009, 10:42 PM
looking for some help ... trying to get hold of a adult north terrace ticket ( schoolboy section) have 3 schoolboys tickets for relatives but cannot get an adult ticket for north terrace to accompany them as kids are to young to let in on there own ... have tried fai ticket office /thomond park but no luck and could not find any outlet selling them .........any help please :( hope to have a south terrace ticket tomorrow and would be willing to swop for north terrace ticket ..

mypost
13/08/2009, 1:10 AM
€55 to watch a kickabout with the Aussies. €220 for a family of 4 to watch the game alone. Never mind transport costs, food/drink, accommodation etc.

By contrast, our group rivals Bulgaria were charging €2 per head to see them play Latvia.

Clearly, the word recession hasn't entered the FAI dictionary yet.

gspain
13/08/2009, 8:56 AM
By contrast, our group rivals Bulgaria were charging €2 per head to see them play Latvia.

We were robbed - it was €3 when we played in Sofia. :D

gspain
13/08/2009, 8:58 AM
Crowd was almost 19,500 I believe. The west stand looked very empty. Terraces were full. I was in the east Stand so hard to judge that one.

That is 3,500 more than the only rugby International in the new stadium v Canada last November.

Claret Murph
13/08/2009, 11:45 AM
It was a very strange atmosphere last night you could it wasn't a football crowd in there last night I would say a good few it was their first time at an international .
But apart from the game it was so easy to get to the match last night and a brezze to get home after the game and in bed before midnight was a first I can tell you .
Roll on the SA game but after five days in Cyprus before hand i may be getting ahead of myself .

Green Tribe
13/08/2009, 1:17 PM
i won't be going to the SA friendly if those prices remain. Glad i didn't go last night.

Claret Murph
13/08/2009, 3:21 PM
Look GT i do see your point , but hey I have got my ticket for the SA game and yes €25 is not the worst for the same game at Croke Park would have been €40 .

NeilMcD
13/08/2009, 3:35 PM
She never buys a round so what chance of her buying a ticket to be fair:)

Sligo Hornet
13/08/2009, 8:41 PM
She never buys a round so what chance of her buying a ticket to be fair:)

Wedding off then I suppose?;)

old git
13/08/2009, 11:44 PM
Look GT i do see your point , but hey I have got my ticket for the SA game and yes €25 is not the worst for the same game at Croke Park would have been €40 .

were are the tickets on sale ... :ball:

Green Tribe
14/08/2009, 7:43 AM
neil didn't buy the ring hornet! Claret, i am not too keen to pay 35-55 (which was all that was left in the last few days) for a friendly that means unpaid time off work if i am going to be in cyprus :) I was too ill to go anyway :)

Sligo Hornet
14/08/2009, 8:26 AM
neil didn't buy the ring hornet! Claret, i am not too keen to pay 35-55 (which was all that was left in the last few days) for a friendly that means unpaid time off work if i am going to be in cyprus :) I was too ill to go anyway :)

So you ARE coming to Cyprus?.....Good News!.....where are you staying?

Superhoops
15/08/2009, 12:54 AM
Crowd was almost 19,500 I believe. The west stand looked very empty. Terraces were full. I was in the east Stand so hard to judge that one.

That is 3,500 more than the only rugby International in the new stadium v Canada last November.

I think the Thomond experiment failed. No atmosphere, not well supported by the local catchment area. It was interesting talking to locals before and after the game who certainly saw the ticket prices as extreme but more importantly appeared to have no or very little interest in soccer generally and were much more tuned to rugby and hurling. Didn't strike me that Limerick was great soccer country, so why play a game there? :confused:

If the game had been played in RDS, it would have sold out (20000 capacity?) and a much better atmosphere would have been generated.

The worst aspect of the other night was that they filled up the middle three sections of the West Stand right back to the roof, half filled each of the sections immediately beside the middle three but the two sections on either end were almost empty apart from a few Aussies in the end section by the South Terrace. If I had have had a ticket in very back rows of any of the middle three sections I would have been really pis*ed off to find their were unoccupied seats in the front few rows of the sections each side of the middle three.

Got my ticket for South Africa game but seriously thinking if I will bother going or not. Not impressed at all.

gspain
15/08/2009, 12:21 PM
I think the Thomond experiment failed. No atmosphere, not well supported by the local catchment area. It was interesting talking to locals before and after the game who certainly saw the ticket prices as extreme but more importantly appeared to have no or very little interest in soccer generally and were much more tuned to rugby and hurling. Didn't strike me that Limerick was great soccer country, so why play a game there? :confused:

If the game had been played in RDS, it would have sold out (20000 capacity?) and a much better atmosphere would have been generated.

We got 3,500 more than the only rugby International to be played in the new stadium.

Limerick may be a rugby city but football is a strong 2nd albeit junior football. We also have the same problems as the rest of the country with Man Utd and Liverpoool. GAA is strong in the county although football has always had decent presence in rural LKimerick as well.

It was pretty well supported by the midwest as the majority of the crowd did come from there. Not too many travelled from Dublin given the light traffic back afterwards.

It was only our 3rd ever home International outside Dublin so it was the least we deserved in Limerick.

I agree the seats were too dear and anyone at the back of the stand however could easily have moved.,.

Superhoops
15/08/2009, 1:04 PM
We got 3,500 more than the only rugby International to be played in the new stadium....

Canada in Rugby would hardly be as big a draw as Australia in soccer. I'd say even the most hardended rugby fan would struggle to name 2 or 3 Canadian players, where several of the Aussies are well known because of their current or previous presence in the EPL.

...Limerick may be a rugby city but football is a strong 2nd albeit junior football. We also have the same problems as the rest of the country with Man Utd and Liverpoool. GAA is strong in the county although football has always had decent presence in rural LKimerick as well....
Your brother made that evident with the chaotic half time kids penalty shoot out. Embarassing :o. (Not as embarassing though as that gobsh*te from local radio interviewing Al Finnucane).

.It was pretty well supported by the midwest as the majority of the crowd did come from there. Not too many travelled from Dublin given the light traffic back afterwards..... Agree that was the case, but several, including ourselves, 'from the Dublin area', stayed down for the night and travelled back next day.

....It was only our 3rd ever home International outside Dublin so it was the least we deserved in Limerick... No problem with it being a one off but not convinced a second game was justifed until the success/failure of the first was assessed.

...I agree the seats were too dear and anyone at the back of the stand however could easily have moved.,..
It wasn't just the seats that were too dear, it was all the tickets. Wasn't in the stand, but I am not sure it would have been that clear to people sititng up at the back of the stand how many and what seats down front were vacant. I think you said yourself that you could not judge it in the East stand.

Despite all that and apart from the football, the rest of the 24 hours we spent in Limerick were enjoyable.

gspain
15/08/2009, 7:09 PM
Canada in Rugby would hardly be as big a draw as Australia in soccer. I'd say even the most hardended rugby fan would struggle to name 2 or 3 Canadian players, where several of the Aussies are well known because of their current or previous presence in the EPL.

Your brother made that evident with the chaotic half time kids penalty shoot out. Embarassing :o. (Not as embarassing though as that gobsh*te from local radio interviewing Al Finnucane).

Agree that was the case, but several, including ourselves, 'from the Dublin area', stayed down for the night and travelled back next day.

No problem with it being a one off but not convinced a second game was justifed until the success/failure of the first was assessed.

It wasn't just the seats that were too dear, it was all the tickets. Wasn't in the stand, but I am not sure it would have been that clear to people sititng up at the back of the stand how many and what seats down front were vacant. I think you said yourself that you could not judge it in the East stand.

Despite all that and apart from the football, the rest of the 24 hours we spent in Limerick were enjoyable.

Surely the rugby fans would go to support and see Ireland.

We won't have any games outside Dublin once the Aviva is ready.

It is hard to judge the attendance of the stand you are in but you could still spot empty seats. My mates all switched their block bookings to €50 seats and still sit on the halfway line in the lower Hogan. They identify an empty row and move just before kickoff. Doubt this will work for the next 2 though.

At least my brother said he supported an Irish club. It is embarrassing but ask almost anybody in this country who they support and they will mention a British football club. As foir his penalty taking skills............:D

mypost
16/08/2009, 5:45 AM

Got my ticket for South Africa game but seriously thinking if I will bother going or not. Not impressed at all.

Who seriously thinks a football game could be played at the RDS 4 days after it's marquee event of the year, The Horse Show?? :confused::rolleyes:

The alternative was to travel away again as in the past few years.

The reason for the poor attendance in Thomond was simple. Prices. Way way way overpriced for a friendly against unfashionable opposition. People simply don't have that kind of money to fork out anymore. The FAI might like to think so, but the reality is very different.

Lionel Ritchie
16/08/2009, 9:06 AM

With respect, I gravely doubt even the most ardent football loving Dub attendance would've tucked into the thin gruel served up the other night with any more boisterous enthusiasm than that which witnessed the other nights game.

It was entirely merited that a couple of games at least should be played outside Dublin and I'd personally reckon TP has a better setup and capacity for competetive games against most 5th and 6th seeds we come across. Though, echoing Gspain, once the new LR opens the FAI won't budge from it.

Superhoops
16/08/2009, 1:18 PM
With respect, I gravely doubt even the most ardent football loving Dub attendance would've tucked into the thin gruel served up the other night with any more boisterous enthusiasm than that which witnessed the other nights game.

It was entirely merited that a couple of games at least should be played outside Dublin and I'd personally reckon TP has a better setup and capacity for competetive games against most 5th and 6th seeds we come across. Though, echoing Gspain, once the new LR opens the FAI won't budge from it.

Not always sure that atmosphere is generated soley based on the performance on the field. However, in terms of numbers, when Australia last played here in August 2003, there were 37200 at Lansdowne Road.

Lionel Ritchie
16/08/2009, 4:42 PM
Given. Anyone know what tix cost for the 2003 game though? I wasn't at it so I've no stub.

Superhoops
16/08/2009, 5:17 PM
Given. Anyone know what tix cost for the 2003 game though? I wasn't at it so I've no stub.

Lower Stand seats were 35 euro, Upper Stand Seats were 30 euro, East Terrace was 20 euro and North and South Terrace was 15 euro.

old git
16/08/2009, 5:58 PM
Who seriously thinks a football game could be played at the RDS 4 days after it's marquee event of the year, The Horse Show?? :confused::rolleyes:

The alternative was to travel away again as in the past few years.

The reason for the poor attendance in Thomond was simple. Prices. Way way way overpriced for a friendly against unfashionable opposition. People simply don't have that kind of money to fork out anymore. The FAI might like to think so, but the reality is very different.

read somewere during the week fai happy with thomond park game and were talking about reviewing ticket prices for south africa game as per john delaney :ball:

shakermaker1982
17/08/2009, 11:04 AM
30 euros maximum for a friendly if you ask me. We're in a recession and the FAI should cotton on to this. I'm happy to pay 70 euro's for Italy but the Montenegro game should be costing me 50. Flights and a hotel for every home are bad enough!