PDA

View Full Version : Bertie in the NOTW sports pages.

SunderlandBohs
10/08/2009, 9:24 AM
Did anyone read Mr. Aherne's column in the News of the World yesterday?

Great to see our former leader talking about getting Stephen Ireland back in the squad and the brilliant surface at Croke Park (is it just me but does anyone else think the pitch looks terrible?).

But not a mention about Pat's great performence in Europe or the current plight of Cork City. Not a dickie bird!

I'd love to interview this man about Irish football. I'd bet he wouldn't have a clue.

prince20
10/08/2009, 9:38 AM

Great to see our former leader talking about getting Stephen Ireland back in the squad and the brilliant surface at Croke Park (is it just me but does anyone else think the pitch looks terrible?).

But not a mention about Pat's great performence in Europe or the current plight of Cork City. Not a dickie bird!

I'd love to interview this man about Irish football. I'd bet he would have a clue.

Perhaps you meant wouldnt have a clue?

Dodge
10/08/2009, 9:40 AM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/Fiver/0,,2299867,00.html

Letter in the FIver section of the guardian

"Maybe all these gaelic games fans writing in from Ireland looking for a football fix (Fiver letters passim) might like to comment on St Patrick's Athletic's Big Vase success in Russia last night? Didn't think so. They're probably too busy studying the TV schedule for the upcoming Premier League season"

Big vase is their euphemism for UEFA Cup/Eurropa league

SunderlandBohs
10/08/2009, 9:51 AM
Ok I chaged it now prince20.

Den Perry
10/08/2009, 10:50 AM

I'd love to interview this man about Irish football. I'd bet he wouldn't have a clue.

any chance of posting the link?

Cheers

peadar1987
10/08/2009, 12:25 PM

Apparently he's a massive Drumcondra fan. I think some of the problem with the league is the strength of amateur football in Ireland. A lot of people see themselves as fans or players for LSL clubs, and don't see the step up to the LOI as being big enough to justify supporting a second team.

pineapple stu
10/08/2009, 12:36 PM
UCD played Drumcondra in 2004 in the FAI Cup. It was Drums' first game against senior opposition since they left the league in 1974 (?). Bertie wasn't there. Maybe he is a fan and had other commitments, but I'd say the most likely excuse is that talk is cheap.

SunderlandBohs
10/08/2009, 1:28 PM
any chance of posting the link?

Cheers
Can't find a link for it but found plenty from the NOTW about Jordan and Peter Andre if you're interested?

Maybe Stu he is still upset over the last time he visited a LOI ground when those horrible Bohs fans booed Roy Keane!

Just to prove Bertie is a liar. I remember watching that God-awful programme on tv3 about Keane and Sunderland. Ahern said on our (SAFC) last game of the season against Luton he watched the first half in a pub on the southside and it was packed and then he watched the second half in a pub in the northside and it was packed. It was like Italia 90 all over again!

The match wasn't on tv:rolleyes:

John83
10/08/2009, 1:43 PM
The match wasn't on tv:rolleyes:
Hehe.

I thoroughly enjoyed his appearance on The Premiership, where he professed his love for Man Utd, and talked about how great Socks-kler had been for them recently.

Umberside
10/08/2009, 2:08 PM
Hehe.

I thoroughly enjoyed his appearance on The Premiership, where he professed his love for Man Utd, and talked about how great Socks-kler had been for them recently.

I never saw that, would love to see it sometime.

bennocelt
10/08/2009, 2:14 PM
Man I would say its a great read!!:rolleyes:

The man is such a spoofer, he even looks like he hasnt a clue when he goes on about his beloved gah - wasnt he an embarrassment when he was on the Sunday Game a while back?!

dcfcsteve
10/08/2009, 3:09 PM
Apparently he's a massive Drumcondra fan. I think some of the problem with the league is the strength of amateur football in Ireland. A lot of people see themselves as fans or players for LSL clubs, and don't see the step up to the LOI as being big enough to justify supporting a second team.

Correction - he states that he was a big Drumcondra fan, back when they were in the senior game.

This is a blinding excuse, because it allows him to feign an interest in Irish football without having to ever exemplify that interest, because his beloved team are no longer in the senior game. Furthermore, it enables him to get away from having anything more to do with the LOI, as sure it's not the same since the Drums left. And on top of that, it's a team who were in his own constituency, so he can be seen to be being local without ever having to prove it. Also - he supports a team that haven't kicked a senior ball in 35yrs, so no-one has a clue if he ever went to see them all that much anyway.

In summary - DrumconDrA is an absolute gift to a spoofer like Bertie Ahearn, as it gives him a get out of jail card for the fact he doesn't have a jot of interest in the LOI.

it's just all bullsh!t....

Calcio Jack
10/08/2009, 3:21 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;1209134]Correction - he states that he was a big Drumcondra fan, back when they were in the senior game.

This is a blinding excuse, because it allows him to feign an interest in Irish football without having to ever exemplify that interest, because his beloved team are no longer in the senior game. Furthermore, it enables him to get away from having anything more to do with the LOI, as sure it's not the same since the Drums left. And on top of that, it's a team who were in his own constituency, so he can be seen to be being local without ever having to prove it. Also - he supports a team that haven't kicked a senior ball in 35yrs, so no-one has a clue if he ever went to see them all that much anyway.

In summary - DrumconDrA is an absolute gift to a spoofer like Bertie Ahearn, as it gives him a get out of jail card for the fact he doesn't have a jot of interest in the LOI.

True but no need to be so hard on yourself

SunderlandBohs
10/08/2009, 3:36 PM
Correction - he states that he was a big Drumcondra fan, back when they were in the senior game.

Spot on Steve. It paints a picture of a young man hoping the fence to see his beloved Drums play. Not really an excuse to stop following the LOI altogether though. It plays into the hearts of people who remember Drumcondra F.C. It's a bit like Tony Blair once saying in a interview he used to stand on the Gallowgate End with his dad watch Jackie Milburn play for Newcastle. He would have be only three when Milburn stopped playing for Newcastle.

If Bohs go bust, I'll still follow the league with the same interest but I won't have a team.

As I said early about the Sunderland v Luton match....he's a spoofer of the highest kind.

BohDiddley
10/08/2009, 4:30 PM
Thanks for the reminder. 'Drums' has been an overdue entry in the glossary of Irish footballspeak (http://footballpress.wordpress.com/glossary-of-irish-footballspeak/).

drummerboy
10/08/2009, 5:06 PM
Well as someone who was involved in Drums in recent years Bertie’s support was minimal. His brother Maurice was more willing to help out. Bertie was asked to the game against UCD but had other committments, which is probably true as he was Taoiseach then. Bertie did attend a few cup finals over the years. He was a player/secretary for a club called All Hampton many years ago. So he was actively involved in his younger days before FF came calling.

Dodge
10/08/2009, 5:56 PM
No one is denying he's a football fan

but he's a self confessed man U fan, thats it.

sonofstan
10/08/2009, 6:05 PM
It's a struggle to begin a sentence about Bertie with 'to be fair....' but TBF, for most of his time in politics he had two premier division teams in his constituency; had he picked either us* or Shels, he would have had to put up with the moans of fans of the other. the Drums answer was a godsend in that context.

* you can't believe how grateful i am that he isn't a Bohs fan, actually.

Sheridan
10/08/2009, 6:17 PM
In fairness, I'd develop a fondness for all things Manchester if people get stuffing ten grand in my pocket unsolicited everytime I went there.

Mad Moose
10/08/2009, 7:50 PM

To be honest the fact the tosser is reduced to the level of a column in the ultimate trash read is as much a news item as this particular story. I despised and despise Ahern and the News of the World is about his intellectual level alright.

Why would he mention St Pats Rovers as he might call them or Cork Celtic for that matter.? He's a self professed barstooler. I'd be more concerned if he had mentioned either but then again Bertie was never given to honesty at any stage of his career.

Thank god he's gone, sadly he got away with so much corruption and I'm not sure Bertie could tell you much in reality of his support of Drums. He doesn't have the greatest memory you know.

dcfcsteve
10/08/2009, 7:54 PM

True but no need to be so hard on yourself

Cracker, hi.... :o

bennocelt
10/08/2009, 9:57 PM
No one is denying he's a football fan

but he's a self confessed man U fan, thats it.

I am:mad:

Macy
11/08/2009, 7:38 AM
Just to prove Bertie is a liar.
You needed an example about him talking crap about football?

Bluebeard
11/08/2009, 2:42 PM
A few years ago on a night when we were playing Shels (back in the before before time when both us and Shels were in the premier, before they sorted out the money problems in the league:rolleyes:), Mr. Ahearn was accosted by some youths with blue in their hearts and innocence in their minds. ON their way to a game, their heads filled with the glory of following a League of Ireland team, they got onto him about following football, and Bertie - our man of the people, the kind of guy you'd elect because you reckon he'd be more likely to go for a pint with you than that Ken Doll guy, , and wouldn't Rabbitte on about politics while you are with him - Bertie told them that he was a fan of Drumcondra of old.

Our callow Deise youth continued with their queries, and the man who should be best remembered as the Finance minister without a working relationship with his local bank (or any other for that matter) told them that of all the Irish clubs, Waterford was the one for whom he would keep an eye out for the results. Obviously, a busy man with a forthcoming election and an EU to keep organised, Bertie could but seldom if ever get to games, but he was sure to be briefed about the progress of the mighty side from the South East that, more than any other, kept his attention in the league. And, after photos were taken, on he went, on to his lonely tough job, on to his labours of Icarus, on across the road to Fagan's of Drumcondra, his office from Office.

Well, needless to say, the man who was never convicted for telling a lie was the hero of the hour - in fairness, he probably did as much for the Blues that night as our defence did. And the exemplar of Waterford's future heard what they wanted to hear and thought well what they wanted to think and on return to their land of plenty, bade parents to note well his political acumen and vote accordingly.

And so, it seems, they did. And so did Bohs fans' parents and Harps fans's parents. And so did the parents of the fans of Cork and the fans of Galway, and so forth along the way, like the serried denizens of the Book of Kings. To this, there were but two possible exceptions; Limerick, who were by this stage so disillusioned with everyone and everything that they no longer wore raincoats during thunderstorms as their mistrust was so strong; and of course Derry, who, according to popular song, paid their taxes to the Queen. So on, so forth, so far to the good of the country. Forever and ever amen.

kingdom hoop
11/08/2009, 3:28 PM
On the topic of bashing Bertie The Bolox, here's a related article in today's Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0811/1224252361043.html?via=mr

Karl Phillips
11/08/2009, 5:48 PM
Also anyone remember how he and the Brudder tried to upstage Ken Loach and Eric Cantona by presenting the latter with a Dubs jersey,more cheap publicity for his unelectable Brudder. Ken Loach was heard to comment, he ( The Spoofer from Drumcondra) was not his type of person. I always liked that man Loach's work.

marinobohs
13/08/2009, 11:09 AM
In fairness, I'd develop a fondness for all things Manchester if people get stuffing ten grand in my pocket unsolicited everytime I went there.

Yep, sums him up perfectly. I remember him supporting Slumberland V Bohs (a team from his constituency !) at Dalymount (and giving out about Bohs fans booing Judas Keane), and guess what, Charlie Chawke was named at the Tribunal as one of those who gave him a "dig out".what a small world we live in ;) total spoofer that did nothing for Irish football. By the way are Drums not still playing ? I presume bertie bullsh!tter is there every week, especially now he is virtually unemployed (the highest paid social welfare recepient in the country ????)

thischarmingman
13/08/2009, 11:31 AM
(and giving out about Bohs fans booing Judas Keane

There were people on here a few weeks ago complaining about Ronaldo being booed at Tallagh...:eek:

Have these people never been to a football match?

Enruoblehs
13/08/2009, 2:42 PM
Bertie sponsored a recent Shelbourne FC game in Tolka

John83
13/08/2009, 3:04 PM
But with who's money? :)

Sheridan
13/08/2009, 3:18 PM
So which are you, John83; lazy or retarded?

John83
13/08/2009, 4:00 PM
I plead temporary insanity.

Buile Shuibhne
13/08/2009, 6:35 PM

He was a matchball sponsor to the tune of 300 euro.

thischarmingman
13/08/2009, 6:57 PM
He was a matchball sponsor to the tune of 300 euro.

Ironic that he gave money for a load of balls, rather than the other way about for once.

dcfcsteve
13/08/2009, 8:24 PM

:D

Technically neither - he's just a bad speller (it's *who's* not *whose*)

John83
13/08/2009, 8:37 PM

That's what I originally had, which makes me less a bad speller and more easily confused by Sheridan! Right, back to my original spelling, and I'm damned if I'm changing it again.

Schumi
13/08/2009, 8:50 PM
That's what I originally had, which makes me less a bad speller and more easily confused by Sheridan! Right, back to my original spelling, and I'm damned if I'm changing it again.

Huh? Surely 'whose' is correct? :confused:

osarusan
13/08/2009, 8:51 PM
Huh? Surely 'whose' is correct? :confused:

Right.

Wrong.

That would mean the original sentence was "but with who is money?" or "but with who has money?"

dcfcsteve
14/08/2009, 12:05 AM
Wrong.

That would mean the original sentence was "but with who is money?" or "but with who has money?"

OK - you're right so.

He is retarded....

John83
14/08/2009, 11:57 AM
He is retarded....
No, I merely look retarded. If you're going to mock me based on my sig and a mistake you made too, try at least to read it correctly. :p

dcfcsteve
14/08/2009, 12:08 PM
No, I merely look retarded. If you're going to mock me based on my sig and a mistake you made too, try at least to read it correctly. :p

Sorry John - you keep slapping your wrist against your chin and groaning whilst speaking/typing, so I can't make out what you're saying.... ;)

John83
14/08/2009, 12:10 PM
Sorry John - you keep slapping your wrist against you chin and groaning whilst speaking/typing, so I can't make out what you're saying.... ;)
I guess it takes an experienced one handed typist to recognise that.

dcfcsteve
14/08/2009, 12:12 PM
I guess it takes an experienced one handed typist to recognise that.

Now you're just drooling whilst groaning....:p

marinobohs
14/08/2009, 3:14 PM
Now you're just drooling whilst groaning....:p
for God's sake, get a room you two :)

SunderlandBohs
17/08/2009, 8:33 AM
Bertie gave us another insight into sport yesterday in the NOTW. He told us Roy Keane is right about friendlies and how the GAA is putting the EPL to shame. A few brownie points for Bertie with GAH crowd.

He talked in depth about the big city title race. He'd said Man U to win it and Man Citeh to finish 5th.

What a tool!

I wonder if a enough of us e-mail MNS and Mr.Ahern's office to request his footballing knowledge on the show would he accept?

bennocelt
17/08/2009, 10:43 AM
Bertie gave us another insight into sport yesterday in the NOTW. He told us Roy Keane is right about friendlies and how the GAA is putting the EPL to shame. A few brownie points for Bertie with GAH crowd.

He talked in depth about the big city title race. He'd said Man U to win it and Man Citeh to finish 5th.

What a tool!

I wonder if a enough of us e-mail MNS and Mr.Ahern's office to request his footballing knowledge on the show would he accept?

But really Sundbohs whats the point, he isnt a sports fan or indeed knows much about football, he is only fooling the FF crowd and the crowd who know not muhc about anything in general ................ie the majority of people on this island!!!:confused:

passinginterest
17/08/2009, 10:59 AM
But really Sundbohs whats the point, he isnt a sports fan or indeed knows much about football, he is only fooling the FF crowd and the crowd who know not muhc about anything in general ................ie the majority of people on this island!!!:confused:

I hear he loves race walking too :eek:
The swine :D

Dalymountrower
17/08/2009, 3:24 PM
I hear he loves race walking too :eek:
The swine :D

Is that a euphemism for wife beating?

Mad Moose
18/08/2009, 6:08 AM

What a tool!

I think your a bit hung up on aul Bertie and a bit obcessed with his love of cross channel football (ironically). Without reading the article I'm not sure what Roy Keane had to say, I could never understand a word ever he had to say actually, or how Bertie justifies how the GAA is putting the EPL to shame. You might like to, both hopefully not, like to expand the words of our one time great leader on his speciality subject.

I don't see a point in inviting Bertie Ahern onto anything. He's well suited to the News of the World. I'm sure he's gotten an active readership that were easily swayed by his lies and deceit which kept him in power long enough. Might I suggest a change of reading (:D) journal Sunderland based Bohs fan.

SkStu
18/08/2009, 5:10 PM
Berties an Irish hero and i for one will be gripped by what he has to say.

the make up wearing flamer.