PDA

View Full Version : Question on Champs league

Crosby87
07/08/2009, 11:16 PM
My question is, whats the deal with the Champions League playin? I never noticed it before!
I always thought the top 4 teams from the Prem were automatically in Champions League, yet I see Arsenal are playing Celtic? So the team that finishes 4th has to play their way in? And if so do they ever lose? I never remember a year where there werent 4 teams in there is why this is strange to me, Ive been watching now for almost 10 years so I just wanted to make sure I understood what the deal was and I feel dumb....Thanks

Darkglasses
07/08/2009, 11:18 PM
Yeap the 4th place Premiership team has to play in the play-off round before entering the group stages. Couldn't tell you when the last time the 4th place team lost though :confused:

Crosby87
07/08/2009, 11:21 PM
OK Thanks...never knew that.

thischarmingman
07/08/2009, 11:24 PM
Yeap the 4th place Premiership team has to play in the play-off round before entering the group stages. Couldn't tell you when the last time the 4th place team lost though :confused:

Villareal 4-2 Everton, August 2005 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4171224.stm)

At no stage have 4 EPL teams gone straight into the CL groups.

Crosby, the main European football site for this sort of info is here, (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/) although if you (understandably) can't get your head around it, holidaysong or Schumi will be able to make (somewhat) sense of it! :p

dcfcsteve
07/08/2009, 11:57 PM
My question is, whats the deal with the Champions League playin? I never noticed it before!
I always thought the top 4 teams from the Prem were automatically in Champions League, yet I see Arsenal are playing Celtic? So the team that finishes 4th has to play their way in? And if so do they ever lose? I never remember a year where there werent 4 teams in there is why this is strange to me, Ive been watching now for almost 10 years so I just wanted to make sure I understood what the deal was and I feel dumb....Thanks

I think you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere Crosby.

This is a forum for fans of Irish club football.

If you want information on the English game, I suggest you try your nearest barstool.

:ball:

brianw82
08/08/2009, 12:31 AM

If you want information on the English game, I suggest you try your nearest barstool.

Or, to be more polite, you could have asked the question in the 'World Football' forum, where there's already a CL thread.

WexCar
08/08/2009, 1:21 AM

before this year 1st & 2nd qualified automatically and 3rd & 4th went into 3rd qualifying round, this year the top 3 qualify automatically and 4th go into play-off

SalvadorSanchez
09/08/2009, 3:25 AM

oooooohhhhh (makes handbag sign):D