PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus (Away) Sat 8th Oct 05

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Junior
04/02/2004, 11:29 AM
Please use this thread to post any useful links, websites that can assist travel, accomodation, tickets etc...

Pogsly
04/02/2004, 11:36 AM
Like most people I went to Cyprus in 2001 . Nobody should stay in Paphos , its full of old retired people .Was stuck there for 7 days . Horrible . Limassol is supposed to be the best

NorthoftheLee
05/02/2004, 9:21 AM
dude... Ayia Nappa all the way man.......what a resort...!!!!!! was there for 2 years in a row......class.........

Brenny
23/09/2004, 2:20 PM
Defo gonna book a week or two there for meself and the missus...(not allowed go on me own ;) )

Peadar
23/09/2004, 2:44 PM
Limassol is supposed to be the best

Stayed there at the last game.
It's alright, nothing special.
Wouldn't kill me if I had to go back there.
Almost all the package deals will go there.
Will be looking at Ayia Nappa first though.

gspain
23/09/2004, 4:23 PM
Don't forget Switzerland home is 4 days later so the package will need to come back on the sunday.

Bet the week before the game will be twice the price of another week in Cyprus in October. Better to book an ex UK package early.

I tried booking Dubai for the Iran away game (before it was known who we'd meet - both Saudi and Iran would have been accessible) but they wanted 1200 instead of the normal 400 yoyos for the time of the Irish game. Told them to stuff it and went to Iran instead and so glad I did. Don't think they got too many takers in the end.

StretchRyan
25/09/2004, 12:48 PM
Guys have been trying to source a cheap package to cyprus this week to no avail from ireland all seem to be gone or else the big oys 747 and ray tracey have them all booked, has anyone any info on where to get a cheap one from england????????

Rover 2 U
28/09/2004, 4:15 PM
Defo gonna book a week or two there for meself and the missus...(not allowed go on me own ;) )

If you have to bring the missus, Protaras is the place to go. About 10 mins from Agia Napa if you want the night life, but during the day it is just superb. It has not got the maddness associated with Agia Napa, loads to to mind you but a much slower pace to it.

Was there myself a few weeks ago with the missus and couldn't recommend it more, but then again, may be I am just getting old!

If it's a lads holiday your after :eek: (and I would thoughly recommend it), go to Agia Napa, oh my god!

tiktok
28/09/2004, 4:20 PM
Guys have been trying to source a cheap package to cyprus this week to no avail from ireland all seem to be gone or else the big oys 747 and ray tracey have them all booked, has anyone any info on where to get a cheap one from england????????

www.thomascook.co.uk

currently available from all London airports starting at about £250stg for the week starting Oct 5th

StretchRyan
30/09/2004, 12:31 PM
thanks for that info....

much appreciated

GalwayFrancis
11/10/2004, 10:18 AM
Cyprus match is to be played at the Neo GSP Stadium (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/cyprus/nicosia_neo_gsp.jpg) in Nicosia City (Capital City). It has a capacity of 23,400. You can get flights with cyprusairways.com from London Hethrow to Laranca City (South of Nicosia) for about 330euro... chater might be your best bet. In Cyprus they use the Cyprus Pound (about 1 CYP = 1.75 EUR). Temp in Nicosia at this time of year is about 29C :D

Peadar
11/10/2004, 10:53 AM
In Cyprus they use the Cyprus Pound (about 1 CYP = 1.75 EUR). Temp in Nicosia at this time of year is about 29C :D

From memory they accept €uro in many shops.

harpskid
11/10/2004, 4:10 PM
Would love to get to this wan :cool:

Closed Account 2
13/10/2004, 5:09 PM
Me too, it looks a safer bet than Israel away and probably easier to get to than the Færoes. Anyone know about ferries to the island and then bus to Nicosia (eg say Easyjet London -Athens, Ferry Pireaus (Port of Athens) to Limassol) - does that sound plausable ? Anyone got info on Ferries to Cyprus ?

Barbie
14/10/2004, 12:28 PM
hi everyone

just wanted to know if anyone can give me some information about going to cyprus.
does anyone know how difficult it will be to get tickets for this game?
has anybody gone to cyprus before and managed to tickets out there?
any particular area where fans will be staying?
is larnaca the best place to fly into?
is the match to be held in nicosia?

thanks guys :)

zinedineontour
14/10/2004, 1:11 PM
match in nicosia.
flights to larnace or paphos.
cypriots not into football should be easy to get tickets over there did last time we were there. only 1000 at cyprus faroe game.
Ayia Napa best to stay in travel to nicosia for game..

Peadar
14/10/2004, 1:12 PM
does anyone know how difficult it will be to get tickets for this game?

I was out there for the last game and there were tickets on sale in some of the bars beforehand. They were actually cheaper than what we had paid the travel agent for them. No surprises there though.
That was over 3 years ago and Internet bookings for travel are vastly superior than they were then so I'd look at your options before getting ripped off by a travel agent.

harpskid
19/10/2004, 12:25 PM
Any word on flight prices to Cyprus?

finn
19/10/2004, 1:19 PM
Any word on flight prices to Cyprus?

will probably be a month or so yet before scheduled flights are loaded into the systems as most airline companies only release flights 11 months in advance

cheapest flight price for septebmer at the moment is £140 with czech airlines (from LHR via PRG)

no idea on prices from dub, but cheapest seems to be £200 with Czech, or Helios Airways

P

harpskid
19/10/2004, 7:54 PM
Cheers Finn,

Am definitely going to try and get to Cyprus :cool:

zinedineontour
02/11/2004, 4:59 PM
Just to let people know booked cyprus today with Twohig Travel. They seem have availbility on 02oct -9th which suits us for the game for ayia napa as well ! wasnt too bad 460 pp for flights transfers and accom and it gets us back in time for the swiss game on the wed.. I think there number is 6772666 if people wanna book while its still there ..

Littlest Hobo
04/11/2004, 11:18 PM
Just to let people know booked cyprus today with Twohig Travel. They seem have availbility on 02oct -9th which suits us for the game for ayia napa as well ! wasnt too bad 460 pp for flights transfers and accom and it gets us back in time for the swiss game on the wed.. I think there number is 6772666 if people wanna book while its still there ..

Good lad...

Tir Eoghain
05/11/2004, 2:46 PM
We stayed in Larnaca in 2001 and it was sound, so probably back there next year. It's only about half an hour to Nicosia by coach, which were being laid on by pubs in Larnaca.

The U21 game was in Larnaca the day before the big game (which we made)... wondering if it's same this time round.

BTW... loads of Brit squaddies on Cyprus. Apparently, and i dunno if this is true (we were told by couple of English ex-pats in Larnaca bar ) that they were apparently confined to barracks in 2001 for the week...

Superhoops
05/11/2004, 4:40 PM
BTW... loads of Brit squaddies on Cyprus. Apparently, and i dunno if this is true (we were told by couple of English ex-pats in Larnaca bar ) that they were apparently confined to barracks in 2001 for the week...
They have to be back in barracks by 1800hrs every day. they are not best loved over there - remind you of anywhere?

irwinsalegend1
22/11/2004, 1:38 PM
anyone thinking of doing a 3 day trip for this one.
3 of us thinking of taking the wives with us but a long weekend only job, Go Friday , back Monday in plenty of time for Switzerland.

Barna Bee
22/11/2004, 1:49 PM
you'd wanna check your dates , if you go to Cyprus at Easter , you won't see any match as ireland are playing in Tel Aviv

the Cyprus game is on in Oct 2005

irwinsalegend1
22/11/2004, 2:57 PM
who's dates are wrong barna bee?
I'm talking about a long weekend in October. 7th- 10th and then back for the Swiss game in landsdowne on the 12th

Barna Bee
22/11/2004, 3:28 PM
oooops , you are correct , for some strange reason i thought you post mentioned going out on Good Friday ...not just plain old Friday

zinedineontour
25/11/2004, 3:39 PM
package trips now available again for this trip. 579pp for week headin out teh 2nd oct to the 9th staying in the petrosana apts just outside ayia napa. Stayed in these back in 03 was great spot... found this on teletext with twohigs travel. there number is 6772666 .. sounds alright

fbtn
26/11/2004, 6:43 PM
Just confirmed that a crowd of us are going out.........a year on from Paris. Hopefully just as special. That package deal looks okay too Zidaneontour.

Cheers mate.

harpskid
27/11/2004, 2:12 PM
Just confirmed that a crowd of us are going out.........

:D Woohoo, bring on Cyprus, lookin' forward to this wan :cool:

zinedineontour
01/12/2004, 11:34 AM
yeah a few more of the lads tried to book yday for cyprus with twohigs. They are doing trip based on flights from luton to larnaca and accom in ayia napa. u have to get your own flight to luton when it comes out with ryanair which is grand cause if u book early should get it for nearly nowt.. works out at 490 for flights from luton and accom in ayia napa from 2-9oct not bad at all. Just have to get transger to ayia napa from airport but bloke in twohigs said it wont cost much hell try organise for the lads ...

KR's Post
01/12/2004, 1:02 PM
tried alot of travel agents. But nowhere are available for time of the match.... Any ideas lads?? :confused:

deego11
08/12/2004, 2:51 PM
Myself and my mates are flying from Glasgow to Paphos and staying in Tsokkos apts in Ayia Napa- lively and clean!! We booked it all ourselves and its costing €360. We will have to pay for transfers when we get there , but having been there before its cheap enough to get around. We booked Tues 4th- Tues 11th Oct. Connecting flights Dublin to Glasgow are only €40 with Aer Lingus and Ryan air flights are not available yet.

sites are:

Flights: www.flyglobespan.com
apartments: www.tsokkos.com

holidaysong
09/12/2004, 1:22 PM
I was in Cyprus during the summer - was there the night Greece won Euro 2004, it was absolute mental! Crazy stuff altogether. The women going around wearing nothing but Greek flags. If they are as passionate about their own side as they are about the Greek side it should be a hell of a party.. plus there are Irish bars everywhere!

NeilMcD
14/12/2004, 10:55 AM
Well anyone i Know who has been there has raved about it and this ranges from my brother who went on a lads holiday to my parents who went on their sort of a holiday. Weather of 27degrees and a week in the sun and flights for 500 euro, you cant complain. Save your money for the World Cup and go to Cyprus is my view. Go to all the games if you can.

Peadar
14/12/2004, 11:59 AM
I was at the last game out there.
None of the locals gave a toss about the football.
It was great craic though.
Like most other med resorts.
Hotel was clean and the staff were on the ball.
The bars were full of Ireland supporters and British troops from the peacekeeping force. You may wonder why I'm mentioning this!?
The game was in March so it was off-peak season and we practically had the place to ourselves. If you stick to established resorts you should be grand.

The ground is in the middle of nowhere and we were frozen once the sun went down. Large sections of the ground were empty.

harpskid
14/12/2004, 12:16 PM
What's the weather like out there at the beginning of October?

MariborKev
14/12/2004, 2:22 PM
I was at the last game out there.
None of the locals gave a toss about the football.

We were all out for the Derry v Nicosia game in 03. The locals certainly do care about their football, as we found out! We also went to the equivalent to the Charity Shield were there nearly a full scale riot.

Stadium is indeed in the middle of nowhere and about an hour up from Ayia Napa.

Some craic though. The Derry City shirts will still be in the var of the Luke Kelly in Ayia Napa

Hibs4Ever
14/12/2004, 2:28 PM
Will it be easy getting buses from Napa to the stadium and back on match night?

Peadar
14/12/2004, 2:36 PM
We were all out for the Derry v Nicosia game in 03. The locals certainly do care about their football, as we found out! We also went to the equivalent to the Charity Shield were there nearly a full scale riot.

The numbers who cared about the International game was minimal.
The poor attendance at the game surely backs this up.

Will it be easy getting buses from Napa to the stadium and back on match night?

Not very easy.
We got a bus organised by one of the bars the last time.
My mates hired a jeep.

SuperSaints
15/12/2004, 1:51 PM
We stayed in limasol last time and even if you were to get a taxi to the game it would cost you feck all. I couldn't see a problem in also getting a taxi back.

In fact last time I was able to hail a taxi on the street and get him to get me a burger and bring it back to the bar.

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2004, 2:01 PM
Limassol sounds better transportwise so, I've been to Napa before, is Lamassol a good spot?

SuperSaints
15/12/2004, 2:11 PM
Limasol was a great spot last time. I travelled with Ray "Travel for Millionaires" Treacy so there was a big crowd of Irish over on the package. I thought it was a great spot. I'll try and dig up some of the links for some of the pubs. The Titanic and the Car wash were 2 of the clubs. I'll try and get more info

Peadar
15/12/2004, 3:37 PM
The Titanic and the Car wash were 2 of the clubs. I'll try and get more info

The Step Inn and the Hamlet Bar.

Limassol isn't great though.

SuperSaints
16/12/2004, 9:35 AM
Also the Welcome Inn.

I'd also be surprised if there was much happening in Ayia Napa that time of the year either.

pegan
06/01/2005, 12:20 PM
Just booked 2 flights from Heathrow - €256 each
Aerlingus to Heathrow that am € 60
Accommadation in Ayia Napa (4 nites) €168
Accommadation in Larnaca (1 nite) € 75 (not confirmed but budgeted)

compare that with some of the 1 week hols in Cyrpus - I was onto Budget travel yesterday - they are having a sale at moment - that week in Cyprus is being 'held back' (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) because of the football....watch that space!!

pegan

Weather in Cyprus in October 2004
Mean Max. Temperature 27.4 (81.3)
Mean Min. Temperature 16,4 (61,5)
Mean days rain 4
Mean Daily Sunshine 8,8 hours
Average SeaTemperature (Lemesos) 24.2 degrees

Cowboy
06/01/2005, 1:55 PM
Thanks for the info, what airline from heathrow?

Just booked 2 flights from Heathrow - €256 each
Aerlingus to Heathrow that am € 60
Accommadation in Ayia Napa (4 nites) €168
Accommadation in Larnaca (1 nite) € 75 (not confirmed but budgeted)

compare that with some of the 1 week hols in Cyrpus - I was onto Budget travel yesterday - they are having a sale at moment - that week in Cyprus is being 'held back' (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) because of the football....watch that space!!

pegan

Weather in Cyprus in October 2004
Mean Max. Temperature 27.4 (81.3)
Mean Min. Temperature 16,4 (61,5)
Mean days rain 4
Mean Daily Sunshine 8,8 hours
Average SeaTemperature (Lemesos) 24.2 degrees

pegan
07/01/2005, 3:54 PM
www.cyprusairways.com

:mad: If booking for more than one person, be careful, as the website can play 'tricks'. For example, when I requested two seats, the final figure was stg

180 (by 2) however, ordering 1 seat going through the whole booking, purchasing and then doing it all over again, I got for stg 160 ( each seat)

does that make sense?

pegan

Cowboy
07/01/2005, 8:03 PM
Thanks for the info

www.cyprusairways.com

:mad: If booking for more than one person, be careful, as the website can play 'tricks'. For example, when I requested two seats, the final figure was stg

180 (by 2) however, ordering 1 seat going through the whole booking, purchasing and then doing it all over again, I got for stg 160 ( each seat)

does that make sense?

pegan