PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands (Away) Wed 8th Jun 05

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Junior
04/02/2004, 11:28 AM
Please use this thread to post any useful links, websites that can assist travel, accomodation, tickets etc...

only1kilbane
04/02/2004, 12:09 PM
i think with the limited number of tickets available to us possibly 700 and the difficulty getting there the best option for his game is to go on a charter package ! more expensive but easier option

Schumi
04/02/2004, 4:41 PM
This crowd (http://www.atlantic.fo/default.asp) go from Copenhagen, Billund, Reykjavik, Aberdeen, London and Oslo but there's only one or two a week from anywhere but Copenhagen.

This crowd (http://www.maersk-air.com/en/) only go from Billund or Copenhagen (both in Denmark).

Junior
05/02/2004, 9:25 AM
Originally posted by davros
Looked up example flights based on this year's dates & we're looking@ 300-500.00+ sterling?!There must be a cheaper way?Wonder if we could charter plane/boat from The Shetlands?!Should definitely confer with The tartan Army.......

That is exactly what the Tartan army did. However, you need a big deposit, something like £10k (they got a local brewery to stump up the cash for them). I think it would be worth doing but involves a lot of organisation & Hassle.

I t could be worth the London & West Midlands Supporters clubs looking in to potential numbers a going from there.

lopez
10/02/2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Junior
That is exactly what the Tartan army did. However, you need a big deposit, something like £10k (they got a local brewery to stump up the cash for them). I think it would be worth doing but involves a lot of organisation & Hassle.

I t could be worth the London & West Midlands Supporters clubs looking in to potential numbers a going from there.
That's exactly what the London RISSC are looking into. Group travel (12 plus) might get a reduction as it used to get apex fares for midweek travel in the days before cheap airlines and weekend internationals.

BTW Junior, how was the party on Sat night? Sorry couldn't make it - work and money - but alas Sylvo was also absent, waylaid with his kidneys.

Junior
10/02/2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by lopez

BTW Junior, how was the party on Sat night? Sorry couldn't make it - work and money - but alas Sylvo was also absent, waylaid with his kidneys.

all went well, Mr McCoy was present plus John & Tony. He didn't have a clue, a great evening was had by all.

sylvo
12/02/2004, 3:33 PM
On the mend now lad's, just getting myself ready to take on Brazil and those stair's up to our seat's in the east stand, plus a couple of night's with no bevving and a flight on ryanair( that'll be the worse part).
I think it could well be looking like the football special plane there and back for the Faroe's.

Pogsly
13/02/2004, 5:26 AM
Gents

How much are youz looking at paying for this special flight to the Faroes . If it is definitely going ahead someone might send me the details as I'd be very interested . Am living in Dub but flying from Engerland wouldn't be a problem .
Cheers

lopez
13/02/2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Pogsly
Gents

How much are youz looking at paying for this special flight to the Faroes . If it is definitely going ahead someone might send me the details as I'd be very interested . Am living in Dub but flying from Engerland wouldn't be a problem .
Cheers
We've got a meeting down the Blue Oyster Bar tonight. Firstly you'll need to be a member of the RISSC in London (no probs about living in Dublin) but the list to go on the flight is strictly on block bookers/seniority/away games etc. so you'll probably go to the end of the queue. I will speak to our chairman Inspector Doby (of Starsky and Hutch fame) about details and pm you (he doesn't like his email handed out willy nilly after Davros informed the whole world including a highly interested member of the Alabama KKK).:D

lopez
13/02/2004, 11:53 AM
Did I?
Don't want to SS, but Doby was moaning about you sending out the RISSC letter to a number of people while some of the replies were from some strange charachters. That's why I'm going to ask him first.

sylvo
13/02/2004, 1:48 PM
Yer like a modern day Che Gurvara, differance is he done a lot of good were as you normally cause a huge mess.

Pogsly
13/02/2004, 6:38 PM
I would quite happily join the London RISSC but would be wary of going to any meetings held in said bar !!!

Much appreciated amigo

lopez
13/02/2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Pogsly
I would quite happily join the London RISSC but would be wary of going to any meetings held in said bar !!!

Much appreciated amigo
All we ask is for a some dancing...mainly dancing.:D Have pm'd Doby's email address.

sylvo
14/02/2004, 11:04 AM
Lopez and davros did you see those dude's hanging around the pub before the meeting, they looked like they were in the video to 50 cents song 'i'm a p. i. m .p, they most be the most coolest guy's i've ever seen'. Pogsly the pub's fine it's just some of the people that drink there that's the problem. Back to the Faroe trip it seem's that it's going to happen and it will be a day trip mind you ticket's will be a problem.

sylvo
14/02/2004, 12:22 PM
Getting a ferry with you, done that going to a home match once, never again, i'm off to get me £400.

lopez
14/02/2004, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by sylvo
Getting a ferry with you, done that going to a home match once, never again, i'm off to get me £400.
Ferries??? :confused: Next time you see me on a 'ferry' it will be with my cheque from Camelot and a 5 million Peso note up my nose somewhere near Nassau.

lopez
14/02/2004, 4:12 PM
Lopez and davros did you see those dude's hanging around the pub before the meeting, they looked like they were in the video to 50 cents song 'i'm a p. i. m .p, they most be the most coolest guy's i've ever seen'. Pogsly the pub's fine it's just some of the people that drink there that's the problem.
Yeah and they're all Irish. Eg. Bobcat from Dagenham along with Statler and Waldorf. Missing of course due to the eggchasers being in Gay :confused: Paris, was Tommy 'No Pasaran' F. Then there is us three.:(

sylvo
14/02/2004, 6:15 PM
I alway's said that statler and waldorf were a couple of P-I-M-P'S. I hope tommy F is not bugging to many people in Paris with his high five's and no pasaran baby, I told him the rest of us have got to go there in october.

lopez
14/02/2004, 8:36 PM
I alway's said that statler and waldorf were a couple of P-I-M-P'S. I hope tommy F is not bugging to many people in Paris with his high five's and no pasaran baby, I told him the rest of us have got to go there in october.
Not forgetting his last visit avec la front national. Claims to have been told 'allez les prods et vive les rosbifs' in the country where Calvin Klein was almost burned at la stake. His retort of 'vive la ra' ended with a swift but a la muche. Independent witnesses claim he was talking to a lamp post. :rolleyes:

Duncan Gardner
15/02/2004, 11:52 AM
Much as I enjoy reading your multi-lingual posts, Lopez, surely it should be "vivent les rosbifs"?

Enjoyed seeing M. Pape scoring for them yesterday. Some of the French running and handling was excellent.

sylvo
15/02/2004, 2:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davros
[B]Gents,with respect.....much as we all love Mr.T.F.,not much to do with impending trip to the Faroes......we couldn't even use TF
as whale bait!

Davros, mr TF is an important figure in Irish football, i'd rather have him with us in the Faroe's then Ian Harte.

lopez
15/02/2004, 3:44 PM
Gents,with respect.....much as we all love Mr.T.F.,not much to do with impending trip to the Faroes......we couldn't even use TF as whale bait!
Dav. That's true. T 'NP' F has nothing to do with the Faroes but his attitude could be brought up in the Israel section. As you said on Friday, the 'our struggle is your struggle' line is the sort of thing that needs to be addressed before the Irish embassy in Tel Aviv are worked off their feet.
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
Much as I enjoy reading your multi-lingual posts, Lopez, surely it should be "vivent les rosbifs"?

Enjoying see M. Pape scoring for them yesterday. Some of the French running and handling was excellent.
As Del Boy would say 'Mange Tout'. As for M Pape, yes great handling and running but can't say I enjoyed watching it. Were we wearing our Irish head, NI head, British head or just plane International Marxist head yesterday, Dunc?:p

Duncan Gardner
16/02/2004, 9:08 AM
I was backing the boys in green. And the Scots. They need a miracle to avoid last place by the look of it.

lopez
16/02/2004, 9:29 AM
I was backing the boys in green. And the Scots. They need a miracle to avoid last place by the look of it.
I heard about your 'excited' text in French that 'we're' back in it after HT. Apologies. Just wondering if you take the line that as Ulster players are not good enough to get into the team/being ignored by a racist, sectarian cabal from Limerick that you were no longer supporting the lads. I must say I wish we could run and pass like the French. Hope I won't be saying the same on thursday about Brazil.;)

paddyl
16/02/2004, 12:56 PM
a 100 seater chartered plane will cost £37, 000 for a day trip to the the faroe islands which 370 a head

Duncan Gardner
16/02/2004, 7:09 PM
I know little about rugby union, but there is a reason (other than the Limerick cabal picking their mates), why Ulster might have so few players in the Ireland team. Many of the Ravenhill side aren't actually qualified for Ireland.

lopez
16/02/2004, 9:51 PM
Originally posted by paddyl
a 100 seater chartered plane will cost £37, 000 for a day trip to the the faroe islands which 370 a head
Are you Ray Treacy? :D

I know little about rugby union, but there is a reason (other than the Limerick cabal picking their mates), why Ulster might have so few players in the Ireland team. Many of the Ravenhill side aren't actually qualified for Ireland.
FFS. Whatever happened to the place that gave us George Best and Willie John McBride?:(

Schumi
17/02/2004, 12:07 PM
I know little about rugby union, but there is a reason (other than the Limerick cabal picking their mates), why Ulster might have so few players in the Ireland team. Many of the Ravenhill side aren't actually qualified for Ireland. There's another reason too, most of them are $hit!

What has this got to do with the trip to the Faroes though?! :confused:

lopez
17/02/2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
What has this got to do with the trip to the Faroes though?! :confused:
F*ck all!:rolleyes: But as the Faroes is some fifteen months away and DG will be in Cardiff or Chorzow or Belfast on the same day we thought we would chat about something of mutual interest that didn't descend into the quagmire of six counties politics.

Now to get this back on track. DG: Do you think there is a lodge in Torshavn? They're big in Greenland with the eskimos...or is that the Inuit of Canada?:confused:

Réiteoir
18/04/2004, 2:19 AM
http://www.smyril-line.fo - Ferry Company that looks like it sails to Torshavn from Lerwick

Réiteoir
20/04/2004, 2:38 AM
All we have to do is to fly to Aberdeen (or Prestwick then get a coach or train over to Aberdeen if flying Ryanair)

We can then get the ferry to Lerwick from Aberdeen - then the sailling to Torshavn from Lerwick...

Simple enough - but the time it'll take will be quite hefty!

NeilMcD
18/06/2004, 4:32 PM
Hello again,

I have just popped in to the office to speak to my boss about the forthcoming game in Faroe. We think we may be able to make up some sort of a package for this trip, ferry and accommodation for the 2 nights.

What I will need is some information from you too, then we may be able to negotiate a better deal for yourself!!!

Is this the Republic of Ireland V Faroe?

We may advertise in a few of the local newspapers if you could tell us which ones may be best? Once we get our packages underway!

Do you think there will be a few travelling?

Problem is, I am a big, big football supporter and really want to help you with this trip, what would the chances of a ticket or two for me?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jon'o
18/06/2004, 7:17 PM
Hello again,

I have just popped in to the office to speak to my boss about the forthcoming game in Faroe. We think we may be able to make up some sort of a package for this trip, ferry and accommodation for the 2 nights.

What I will need is some information from you too, then we may be able to negotiate a better deal for yourself!!!

Is this the Republic of Ireland V Faroe?

We may advertise in a few of the local newspapers if you could tell us which ones may be best? Once we get our packages underway!

Do you think there will be a few travelling?

Problem is, I am a big, big football supporter and really want to help you with this trip, what would the chances of a ticket or two for me?

Hope to hear from you soon!

were they able to give any idea of a price?

Paulie
21/06/2004, 9:58 AM
This is a trip I really want to go on. I mean when is the next time I'll get a reason to go to the Faroe Islands. It could be another 20 years before we get them in our group again. Having said that though there is a limit to how much I can spend. I would only be able to afford between €500 and €600 for travel and accomodation and I really don't know if that's going to be enough. I would imagine as well it's going to be quite expensive once over there.

hmmm......

NeilMcD
21/06/2004, 10:21 AM
At the moment the itinerary would be as follows:

06 June 2005
Depart Aberdeen 1730 Arrive Lerwick 0730 (07 June 05)
08 June 2005
Depart Lerwick 0200 Arrive Torshavn 1500

2 nights accommodation

10 June 2005
Depart Torshavn 0830 Arrive Lerwick 2100

1 night accommodation

11 June 2005
Depart Lerwick 1900 Arrive Aberdeen 0700 (12 June 05)

Hope this all makes sense to you!

MariborKev
15/08/2004, 1:25 PM
Apparwntly there was a feature on the Faroes in the Irish Times on Friday- any see it/have it

NeilMcD
16/08/2004, 11:13 AM
The Faroe Islanders hope their games in the Republic's World Cup group will encourage tourism. Rosita Boland sees what's on offer.

Mention the Faroe Islands and most people reply: "Where are they?" The Faroes, an archipelago of 18 tiny north Atlantic islands, of which 17 are inhabited, lie roughly halfway between the Shetland Islands and Iceland. Geographically, they are closer to us than most European countries, yet they remain little-visited and mysterious places, hidden in fog for many days of the year. Politically, they are a self-governing part of the Danish kingdom, with their own language, parliament and currency. Gaining independence is a constant topic of conversation.

The Faroes have their own airline, Atlantic Airways, which flies from Stansted twice a week during the summer. Even then, however, you can't be certain of landing at Vágar, the Faroes' only airport. Our flight circled in darkness and fog for an hour. Then the pilot's voice came over the tannoy. "If we can see the runway we'll land. Otherwise we're going to Bergen for the night," he announced briskly. There followed 10 minutes of uncertainty before we touched down, avoiding the trip to Norway.

Most international airports in no way represent their countries: they are noisy, anonymous, busy places with urban landscapes right outside the doors. But the minute you walk outside Vágar's tiny airport you are already in the Faroese landscape. You can smell the sea, hear the seabirds, sense the wild isolation of this place of fjords, lakes and mountains. And, apart from the birds, it is silent.

The sea defines everything in the Faroes. Nowhere on the 18 islands is more than three miles from the sea, so the Atlantic is constantly in sight and mind. Its economy is 97 per cent dependent on fishing. The other 3 per cent comes from tourism. There is one sea tunnel, which connects Vágar, the airport island, with Streymoy. Otherwise, the islands are connected by ferry, so almost every journey involves a sea crossing.

Even the Lutheran churches are defined by the element against which so many generations of Faroese fishermen have battled, sometimes with tragic loss of life. The area where the congregation sits is known as the ship - in the Faroes you sail through life - and every astoundingly lovely and individual church contains a representation of a boat. In Klaksvík an eight-man boat hangs from the rafters; Gota's old church is built from wood salvaged from a shipwreck; at Kirkjubour there is a painting of a boat behind the altar by the Faroes' most famous artist, Samal Joensen-Mikines.

Until a few months ago Gásadalur, on Vágar's cliffs, was the last village in the Faroes without a road: unreachable by boat, it was accessible only by hiking over the 2,000-foot mountain or by taking a helicopter. The postman hiked there three times a week. A tunnel under a mountain now links the tiny settlement to Bour. Gásadalur's dozen houses cluster together in a valley overlooking Mykines, the Faroes' most famous island, an amazing cliff-faced shelf of land where the hardiest of the Faroese live.

Tórshavn is the smallest and most modest capital imaginable - and one that is refreshingly unmaterialistic. The population of the Faroes is only 48,000, and 19,000 of them live in Tórshavn. Posters all over town advertise a concert this month by Boney M, a band many thought officially forgotten. Tórshavn has simple hotels, which encourage you to drink the pure tap water in your bathroom, and shops with very limited goods.

All over the Faroes are houses still built in the traditional way: a stone basement, tarred wooden boards and a grassy roof. There are no trees on the wind-beaten islands, so islanders used to gather driftwood to build with. The cost of living is high, and houses are expensive, so most single people live at home, in converted basements. With such a small population everyone knows and looks after everyone else.

Fishing, hiking, birdwatching - particularly at Vestmanna or on Mykines - and sightseeing are the chief tourist attractions. The football-mad Faroese hope their continuing presence in international football will help draw attention to their islands: they play a World Cup qualifier at Lansdowne Road on October 13th. More than 6,000 Faroese, male and female, play club football at home, and they follow their national team obsessively.

Cut off in bad weather in the era before flying, the Faroes have traditionally had to be self-sufficient in food. To this day all vegetables apart from potatoes are imported. As the islands' grassy terrain supports only sheep, fishing, fowling and whaling have been constant ways of getting food. Puffin and guillemot, which are abundant, are still eaten here. The two roast puffins I had were terrific: like duck but smoother.

The Faroese also catch pilot whales, which are not an endangered species, for their own use. Jóannes Patursson, a 17th-generation farmer at Kirkjubour, was in the first boat out last month when the cry of grindabod went up. This means a shoal of whales has been spotted, and every boat in the area takes to the water.

That hunt yielded 90 whales, all of which were killed within seven minutes. Two months ago 250 whales were killed. Once the whales have been sliced and weighed, under police supervision, the meat and blubber is divided gratis within the community, as is the way in Faroese tradition.

"There are on average one million pilot whales in north Atlantic waters," says Patursson, who is fully aware of the anti-whaling movement. "The most we ever take in a year is 2,000. It has always been part of our culture, and no money is ever involved."

The only time money changes hands is when a restaurant buys whale meat. Every whale killed is eaten: the Faroese hunt not for sport but for food.

Whale steak was on the menu at Merlot, a restaurant in Tórshavn. Whale, being a mammal, is, of course, meat. There is nothing fishy about the taste. My braised whale steak, which was almost black, tasted like a combination of beef and venison. And it was delicious, a fact that may startle many people.

In the Faroes it rains for an average 280 days a year, and the fog can sweep in at any time: one full day out of the three I spent on the islands was lost to it. So the Faroes are sometimes not easy to see, even when you arrive, and much of what you can do there is dependent on the weather. Yet it is still beguiling, rewarding every clear hour you spend there: a place of stories, haunting dimensions and huge horizons. One mysterious name from the lovely litany of the shipping forecast now revealed.

Getting there

Atlantic Airways (www.atlantic.fo) flies year-round from Copenhagen and Aberdeen and twice a week from Stansted in the summer. Maersk Air (www.maersk-air.com) also has a route via Copenhagen. You can also get there by ferry on tours that take in the Shetlands, Faroes and Iceland, with flights back (www.smyril- line.com).

The best time to go is between June and August, but the weather is always unpredictable. Watch out for special deals straight from Dublin for the Republic's return match in the World Cup qualifiers on June 8th 2005. Expect to pay about €150 for a double hotel room in Tórshavn. A bed in a hostel in Tórshavn is €21. Be prepared to pay €9 for a beer. www.visit-faroeislands.com

Flights go out monday and come back thursday

scarboroughs
20/08/2004, 8:27 PM
Have been in contact with local football team on Faroes. They advise Ryanair from Dublin to Aberdeen and then Atlantic Airways direct to the Faroes. BBC website has details of their holiday programme from there.

Pat O' Banton
21/08/2004, 4:47 PM
Be prepared to pay €9 for a beer.

It will be just like a night out in central Dublin :D

Cowboy
03/10/2004, 12:49 PM
PO' B,That beer price 'll be partly down to the fact that some jokers on here :o ,basically told the Faroese Tourist Board,hundreds of Irish were coming,FFS :rolleyes: .......Thanks a bunch......

I'm sure the tourist board could figure that out for themselves.

zinedineontour
14/10/2004, 5:18 PM
heard a rumour from one the girls in the fai ticket office last night that the game could be moved to copenhagen as we would only be entitled to 800 tickets for the faroes. Sounds good idea to me 40,000 stadium in copenhagen will give everyone a chance to head over

lopez
14/10/2004, 5:51 PM
heard a rumour from one the girls in the fai ticket office last night that the game could be moved to copenhagen as we would only be entitled to 800 tickets for the faroes...Not unless we are playing the undercard to Denmark versus Albania. :( :(

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/match/index.html?zone=all&st=tm&tm=DEN&ym=200506

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/match/index.html?zone=all&st=tm&tm=IRL&ym=200506

Beavis
14/10/2004, 6:59 PM
Insider told me that the FAI were certain it would be played in Rejkavik.Anyone else hear this?

lopez
14/10/2004, 11:19 PM
Insider told me that the FAI were certain it would be played in Rejkavik.Anyone else hear this?This all sounds like cojones.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/match/index.html?zone=all&st=tm&tm=ISL&ym=200506

Iceland are playing Malta on 8 June. How about Parkheeeed? :rolleyes:

petef
14/10/2004, 11:24 PM
Was looking up flights, from Aberdeen to Tórshavn its roughly 500 quid return. Thats before drink etc... reckon you'd need some serious spending money over there. Love to go but being realistic its not a goer.

p.r.o.c.
14/10/2004, 11:46 PM
jesus but the price of flights/accomadation ! .........it is way out of my budget, think ill go to cyprus instead........realistically dont ye think our support is better reserved for cyprus given that you cant go to both?

Closed Account 2
15/10/2004, 1:25 AM
There are 2 pretty decent stadiums in Copenhagen:-

Parken - home of FC København - Capacity 42.075.
Brøndby Stadium- home of Brøndby - Capacity 32.700.

Ones about 5-6km north of the City (Parken), the other is about 20ks west of the city. Given the matches are Denmark v Albania and the Færoes v Us, from a number-of-fans-in-the-city, and non-grudge nature of the matches it would certainly be possible, especially if they switched it to a day later etc.

Personally I dont think it will happen but if you want the numbers of the grounds they are (Parken) +45 35278200, (Brøndby) +45 4363 0810.

Superhoops
15/10/2004, 1:39 AM
Insider told me that the FAI were certain it would be played in Rejkavik.Anyone else hear this?

Why would Faroes give up their home advantage? To suit the hordes of Irish fans that want to travel? I don't think so! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Closed Account 2
15/10/2004, 1:48 AM
I agree they probably wont, but they could get a fair bit of dosh if they were looking at a gate of 20-30k instead of 8k. When you consider its a bit-part part-time FA which doesnt get too much money it must be tempting given the match will be (probably) meaningless in terms of qualification for Germany for them.

Edit: - Oh and wherever it is, Torshaven, Copenhagen or Reykjavík bring your own booze into the country (limits will apply to Iceland) or face financial meltdown at the bar.

4tothefloor
15/10/2004, 1:51 AM
Why would Faroes give up their home advantage? To suit the hordes of Irish fans that want to travel? I don't think so! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Money. Thats why. ;)