PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands (Away) Wed 8th Jun 05

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

gspain
08/02/2005, 8:01 PM
A few things I spoke too soon on tikcets they may well be a problem for this game. 700 is nowhere near enough apparently.

Finally got my callback from Atlantic Airways they have 8 charters out already - usual suspects Treacy, 747. A couple of companies also that I never heard of and am trying to track down. Details to follow.

Anybody seen any trips advertised yet? 2 day trips apparently.

lopez
08/02/2005, 9:30 PM
Consider this!

Stadium holds 6,000 of which 5,300 will go to locals of which this figure makes up 12% of the population. So on a weekday, during the day, 12% of the people of this diverse archipeligo will be at the game. Does anyone work there? And this is before we come to terms with the figure that more than 700 will travel, midweek, to this game, against comparitively cr*p opposition, with as much chance of a drink as in Tehran, on small planes, all for around €1000 just for the flight, which was the same as Tehran which barely scraped 800 Irish, for what was a play-off. And with that hill behind the goal!

finn
10/02/2005, 12:39 PM
so does this mean there are thousands of Irish travelling?
I've got a B&B, no match ticket yet and in terms of travel, completely dependent on Stand Up.
Anyone else in the same boat? (No pun intended). :D

Paddy,

I am like you, no ticket, but have a flight but no accommodation (save the tent that I am taking)

If anyone is interested there are still seats on the flight which leaves iceland on the monday and back on the friday for £161 (opodo) with flights leaving and departing on the saturdays either side from Heathrow for £148

gives you a couple of days in Iceland either way

P

MariborKev
10/02/2005, 4:14 PM
Does the case of the woman running the Munster trips have implications for the ability of StandUp to run trips........

gspain
11/02/2005, 7:58 AM
Does the case of the woman running the Munster trips have implications for the ability of StandUp to run trips........

There is a long story re Pamela Hickey (I actually don't know the woman) and 90%+ of the rugby fans will support her. She was running trips for almost half the cost of the regular travel agents. There was a concerted campaign to stop her. indeed there were people in Shannon Airport last friday telling her punters that the flight wouldn't be arriving etc. I know people who have travelled on her trips and couldn't praise her highly enough. Indeed one Limerick travel agent was picketed by fans a year or two ago because of his attack on her. (can't remember the exact detials)

Anyway the short answer is probably not unless some of the regulars who run trips to football decide to take on the Stand Up guys.

I will only use Travel Agents now for daytrips.

OneRedArmy
11/02/2005, 8:22 AM
There is a long story re Pamela Hickey (I actually don't know the woman) and 90%+ of the rugby fans will support her. She was running trips for almost half the cost of the regular travel agents. There was a concerted campaign to stop her. indeed there were people in Shannon Airport last friday telling her punters that the flight wouldn't be arriving etc. I know people who have travelled on her trips and couldn't praise her highly enough. Indeed one Limerick travel agent was picketed by fans a year or two ago because of his attack on her. (can't remember the exact detials)

Anyway the short answer is probably not unless some of the regulars who run trips to football decide to take on the Stand Up guys.

I will only use Travel Agents now for daytrips.

Would they have supported her if it all went tits up and they were left high and dry and out of pocket? Thats why you have licensed and bonded travel agents. If the airline doesn't provide the plane on the day you get your money back, or through the agents bond if the company goes down the tubes.

MariborKev
11/02/2005, 11:19 AM
Gary

I wasn't trying to stir up trouble as regards it, indeed anyone who takes on the cartel of "Official Tour Agents" in any sport will of course be popular amongst the fans.

I was merely pointing out that there may be implications, maybe not for this trip but for future ones?

Cowboy
16/02/2005, 3:50 PM
Just got a call from Alan from "stand up" day trip is 560 € and tues to thurs is 688 € flight only, he said he will be posting details on the peoples flag site later this evening. First call is being given to those on the stand up trip to Israel.

gspain
16/02/2005, 7:57 PM
Just got a call from Alan from "stand up" day trip is 560 € and tues to thurs is 688 € flight only, he said he will be posting details on the peoples flag site later this evening. First call is being given to those on the stand up trip to Israel.

Booked the day trip tonight - great deal. Charters are expensive to the Faroes.

ACdub
16/02/2005, 9:07 PM
FAROES TRIP NOW ON SALE

WWW.STANDUPFORTHEBOYSINGREEN.COM

Flight only day trip, no tickets, taxes included Euro 560 66 seats

Dep Tues Ret Thurs, flight only, no ticket, taxes included Euro 688 66 seats

The 85 people travelling to Israel have 1st refusal

Next the 60 or so who pre registered thru web site

Then strictly first come first served

If we dont fill both planes the first 66 to book will be put on the one flight.

As this is a supporter non profit trip we need to fill it immediatly, the ailrine will only hold the flights till close of business this friday.

Deposits of Euro 150 acceptable by phone

Please contact etravel on 01 4081900, ask for Nicola she will take your details.

If there is excess demand we may be able to organise a 3rd charter.

Alan & Stephen

Cowboy
16/02/2005, 11:21 PM
Charters are expensive to the Faroes.

yes for various reasons its an expensive place to charter to

ACdub
17/02/2005, 2:51 AM
Having read the many comments about the lady who organised the
unster trips I would like to point out the advice we got

We rang the Aviation regulators office and asked them to clarify what was operationg a tour? was for example when i booked and paid for 14 of us to London for the unitu cup game organising a tour even when i used my credit card to pay for all flights and then got paid afterwards? was I organising a tour if i brought my daughters friend with us and got the money off her for her flights before i paid the airline?

The only definitive reply we got was dont handle the money!! that is where etravel came in, we do the donkey work and will provide the names and numbers of those who want to go.. it isnt much more work than trying to source out cheap flights like we always did anyway.

The most important thing is to get a solid group who can fill a plane for every match and keep control so as to keep the prices down. The reason for short booking periods is that etravel cant pay the deposit for the flight till they sell the flight as they are operating on a very low fee, likewise the charter airlines only hold planes for 48 hours without money. We are using the same charter company for Israel and Faroes and hope to build up a good relationship with them where they will give us longer periods to fill the plane in future.

All can rest assure that everyones money is safe and bonded, remember Stephen and I will be going to all matches for a long time to come and we are not going to risk not being able to face supporters who have lost money or being let down.

A last thought I'm off to Liverpool next week for the champions league game with the supporters club for E100 including ticket....that is what we want to be able to achieve for the genuine fans!!

Alan

pineapple stu
17/02/2005, 12:35 PM
Anyone stuck for accommodation should try bringing over a tent and contacting the camping sites around the country (including one in Tórshavn). E-mailed around a few there last week and all came back with no problems...very friendly and helpful too. Only costs 50Kr (about E6.50) per night per tent too! Only downside is that I'm going to have to practice tent pitching while drunk!

shiv_ire
18/02/2005, 11:05 AM
Hi! I’m living in Copenhagen and a few of us over here are arranging a trip to the Faeroes through a local travel agent. The trip cost 3,300,- DKK ( around 440 EUR) and includes flights (7/6-05 København – Færøerne 12:30 – 13:45, 9/6-05 Færøerne – København 16:45 – 20:00), and 2 nights accommodation at a Vanderhjem (Like a B+B). A deposit of 1,000,- DKK (about 135 EUR) needs to be paid by the end of February. We have a few places left, so if anyone’s interested drop me a mail

Cowboy
18/02/2005, 3:40 PM
Just paid the 150 euros deposit to Stand Up and sorted out another B&B night. Roll on Torshavn . . . T Piddy is travelling!!! :D
(er . . . anyone with a match ticket, please pm me!)

I still have your name on a spare :)

ACdub
18/02/2005, 5:07 PM
The flight going out on the tues is planned to leave Dublin about 12 noon.

THe return flight will depart Faros about 4pm on the Thursday.

Price is €688 inc taxes etc.

The day trip will hopefully leave about 7am from Dublin and return in the early hours of the morning.

As of Friday 6pm we have deposits paid for over 40 people between both trips.

We need 66 for each to go ahead with both, the airline is holding the plane until tuesday evening for us so anyone interested please text me over the weekend on 0852374664 or ring Collette in Etravel on Monday 01 4081900.

PLease spread the word, we are also looking at a direct flight to Cyprus, out on the Thursday back on the Monday, again flight only. If interested please pm here, or go to www.standupfortheboysingreen.com or text me 0852374664.

Many thanks to the FOOT.ie team for allowing us use this forum and thepeoplesflag likewise.

Alan & Stephen

ACdub
21/02/2005, 2:27 PM
ANyone wishing to book faroes and is skint for the deposit pm me and i'll organise to take €50 deposit followd by anoth €50 in few weeks! Bookings are going well and the 2 day trip has been confirmed with the airline, if we get another 5 or 6 day trippers we should be able to confirm and pay deposit for day trip as well tomorrow Tuesday!

Alan 0852374664

gspain
22/02/2005, 7:22 AM
ANyone wishing to book faroes and is skint for the deposit pm me and i'll organise to take €50 deposit followd by anoth €50 in few weeks! Bookings are going well and the 2 day trip has been confirmed with the airline, if we get another 5 or 6 day trippers we should be able to confirm and pay deposit for day trip as well tomorrow Tuesday!

Alan 0852374664

Another one of the Cork crew should have booked on the day trip yesterday afternoon Alan.

I'm sure a small advert in the Herald would fill it in a couple of days or even try a press release to a few journalists and they might run it for free.

Peadar
23/02/2005, 12:40 PM
Anyone with a spare ticket can keep me in mind.

Cheers.
P.

Baslebrush
28/02/2005, 8:26 AM
Morning lads.

Does anyone know what time the match kicks off at?

Babysis
01/03/2005, 1:46 PM
According to Kathryn from smyrl ferries, its a 7pm KO. I dont know if the FAI have confirmed this yet though.

MariborKev
02/03/2005, 12:06 PM
Anyone get the email for the Faroese tourist board that the first tourist guide specific to the island has been produced........

Schumi
02/03/2005, 1:31 PM
Yeah I got that. I think pineapple stu has that guide (unless there's a second one been produced).

ACdub
02/03/2005, 3:52 PM
I'll be Fr Jack.....they can have a team of Fr Dougals..

Schumi
02/03/2005, 3:55 PM
Who get's to be Fr Ted with the fake arms and radio controlled wheelchair? :D :D

Babysis
02/03/2005, 4:24 PM
There is still B&B accommodation available in Torshavn. I've now got two nights sorted out thanks to Heidi Davidsen. Drop her a line at: heidid@smyril-line.fo

Heidi is a legend. She has found us a triple room, 10mins from the city centre. Really good price too. Now i just have to get Pat O Banton on to not one, but two planes :eek: Really looking forward to this trip now

Peadar
02/03/2005, 4:54 PM
10mins from the city centre.

With a population of 46,662 between 17 islands, what kind of "city" could they have?

pineapple stu
02/03/2005, 5:21 PM
Anyone get the email for the Faroese tourist board that the first tourist guide specific to the island has been produced........
If it's the one I have, it's published by Bradt and is by James Proctor. Very thorough - though with nearly 200 pages, it'd have to be! Covers pretty much every village (often to say "See the church and move on, 'cos there's nothing to do here"!), has a map of central Tórshavn (pronounced Toe-ush-hown, incidentally, not as spelt) on the interesting 1:2400 scale (or 2.2 foot is to one mile! :eek: ) as well as maps of other big towns and a road map of the entire country, and, most importantly, locations of all (six! :eek: ) offies and the one breweries. Offies seem to be open between 2:00 and 5:30! The bad way!!!

anyone staying for more than a day or two should try and get their hands on it (I found it in Hodges Figgis, I think)

Schumi
02/03/2005, 5:25 PM
It's the same one alright. http://www.tourist.fo/get.asp?gid=d2AEB691F-2F56-457B-985A-AA65496350A7

Babysis
03/03/2005, 8:32 AM
With a population of 46,662 between 17 islands, what kind of "city" could they have?

Take up the phrasing with the lovely Heidi. :p .

As for the guide book, I found it on amazon, they have used copies pretty cheap if its any help.

green army
03/03/2005, 9:02 AM
There is still B&B accommodation available in Torshavn. I've now got two nights sorted out thanks to Heidi Davidsen. Drop her a line at: heidid@smyril-line.fo

Cheers,
she has sorted me out with a double room.10mins from the city center. happy days. if anyone gets spare tickets for the game could you please keep me in mind as this is a surprise trip for me bro's 21st. am flying out with the standupfortheboysingreen crowd.

ACdub
03/03/2005, 4:45 PM
I guarantee he'll be the only Irishman ever to have his 21st iin the Faroes!!!!!!

Will let you know if have any spare tickets

ACdub
05/03/2005, 11:40 PM
Just seen advert for Celtic Horizon prices to Faroes, Day trip is €599 + 49 tax, Standup price is €560 including tax.

Celtic have a two night package from €689 + 49 tax = €738, our flight price is €688. inc taxes.

We will try and push airline for better price on 2 day flight but cant promise anything.

Still places on both trips.........we also hope to have flight only prices to Cyprus next week.......

Alan & Stephen 0852374664

Condex
06/03/2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.framtak.com/photos/faroes_slovenia.html

The FAI are won't be getting many tickets because the stadium is very small.
But from these pics it should be no problem watching the game whether you have a ticket or not.

Thomo
06/03/2005, 4:11 PM
Well my sister is all booked Monday-Thursday Return £289 incl all tax.

finn
06/03/2005, 6:47 PM
http://www.framtak.com/photos/faroes_slovenia.html

The FAI are won't be getting many tickets because the stadium is very small.
But from these pics it should be no problem watching the game whether you have a ticket or not.

I dont think that is the stadium we are playing at.

I think this (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/faroe_islands/torshavn_torsvollur.shtml) is the stadium that our match will be played at

it looks like there is still a mound of earth behind the stand to watch the game from (and possibly camp on lol)

Pete

Condex
06/03/2005, 9:29 PM
Same stadium, I wouldn't think in there would be two international class stadiums on a north Atlantic island..

Condex
06/03/2005, 9:37 PM
Looked again different stadiums!!!

ACdub
07/03/2005, 7:53 AM
There are actually 2 stadiums in the Faroes, the match is in Thorshaven. The second stadium is on a different island. Both hold around 6-7,000

Babysis
11/03/2005, 8:55 AM
I have just received all the info on our B&B in torshavn. They include a guide book, and a load of info about tours and excusions. There is a faroese night on Tuesday in a local pub. Should be great fun!! :D

Fr. Murphy
11/03/2005, 2:48 PM
There is a faroese night on Tuesday in a local pub. Should be great fun!! :D

Does it say what a faronese night entails?

Schumi
11/03/2005, 3:01 PM
Puffins for dinner. :D

Green Tribe
11/03/2005, 4:07 PM
maybe a puffin barbie! u could use their beak to scoop the flesh :D :D

Schumi
11/03/2005, 4:25 PM
Convenient! :D

Babysis
14/03/2005, 8:48 AM
Taken from the visit-faroesislands.com website:

"There are Faroese evnings with poetry and traditional songs and dansing in the old theatre in Tórshavn every Tuesday during the summer.

You will also be able to sample traditional Faroese food.

Tickets price at DKK 300 each are available from the tourist office in Tórshavn"

Its gonna be rocking :D

finn
14/03/2005, 10:35 AM
does anyone know when ticket allocations are due to be made?

Pete

Ash
14/03/2005, 10:42 AM
Is there anyone else spending a week in the Faroes?

Im (well me +2 or 4) flying out on the 5th and back the 12th.
Flights back on the 9th were well gone up by the time I decided
to book.

pineapple stu
14/03/2005, 12:34 PM
Yep, three of us heading out the same days - will see you then!

We're staying in a different village (on a different island, even) each night (bar two nights in Tórshavn) - get to see some of the country. I'd recommend the guidebook mentioned above for ideas on how to fill the week though! Apparently there's scuba-diving in Vestmenna, boat trips, Faroe Islands league football :eek: and random walking around admiring the countryside! Emm...and probably some other things as well!

pineapple stu
14/03/2005, 12:35 PM
does anyone know when ticket allocations are due to be made?

Pete
Club allocations went in a couple of weeks ago, I think. Should hear something in the near future. Maybe. :)

Babysis
14/03/2005, 12:52 PM
There are 2 of us arriving on Monday from London via Billund leaving on thursday.

Our plan is to go sightseeing all day tuesday. Fancy a boat tour, and possibly a helicopter trip.