PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands (Away) Wed 8th Jun 05

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Superhoops
15/10/2004, 8:35 AM
Money. Thats why. ;)

Rubbish, if that is the case why don't they give up home advantage and agree to play their home games against us, France and the Swiss in Dublin, Paris and Basle? That would earn them a few bob. Tough s**t on their home fans though.

How do you think our supporters would react if the FAI moved the France home game to Cardiff for 'money'?

Peadar
15/10/2004, 9:17 AM
How do you think our supporters would react if the FAI moved the France home game to Cardiff for 'money'?

I'd be delighted, it's only just down the road. :D

Isn't the Faroe coach, Henrik Larsen, also the coach of Lyngby BK in Denmark? Lyngby filed for bankruptcy in 2001 and reorganized as an amateur club.
Perhaps they'll move the game to the Slagelse Stadion (http://www.stadions.dk/slagelse.asp)?
Think they can get 10 or 12 K in there.

I really think the Faroe's are doing themselves no favours by not making it easier to get to the bloody place.
If the do play the Ireland game at home they'd better stock up on beer and puffins. What would we do if they ran out? :eek: :D

gspain
15/10/2004, 11:30 AM
It is their home game and they are entitled to play it in front of their own fans. The stadium meets FIFA standards. they must give us a min of 10% of the tickets (more hopefully).

Of course I'd love to see it moved to Copenhagen but it is very unlikely that this will happen and FIFA would be unlikely to allow it due to us getting an unfair advantage.

It is proving a nightmare to get there though.

Peadar
15/10/2004, 12:02 PM
FIFA would be unlikely to allow it due to us getting an unfair advantage.

That wouldn't come into it because the decision to give up home advantage would have been taken by the Faroe FA.

Home advantage was null and void in Paris and they played at home. ;)

4tothefloor
15/10/2004, 1:45 PM
Rubbish, if that is the case why don't they give up home advantage and agree to play their home games against us, France and the Swiss in Dublin, Paris and Basle? That would earn them a few bob. Tough s**t on their home fans though.

Thats different. Thats giving up home advantage and playing the game in your opponents back-yard. This situation would never be allowed by FIFA\UEFA anyway, unless in exceptional circumstances. Playing the game in Copenhagen however, is a neutral venue. And since the Faroese are technically governed by Denmark anyway, the Faroes FA would be perfectly entitled to switch the game if they felt it would be worth their while financially. Another thing - how can you even compare the potential amount of Irish fans who would go to this game, with the amount of Swiss\French fans that would travel? No contest, as we've shown up these nations and their supporters already. Irish travelling support is by far the best and strongest in Europe, and the Faroes will be aware of this.

Bondvillain
15/10/2004, 1:51 PM
Id love to go, but bearing in mind that The Airport in the Faroes is notoriously fogbound for 364 days of the year, i've been informed the chances of being re-directed to Oslo at the last minute cos the pilot is picky about not landing in the Atlantic are pretty high.

It hurts enough paying exorbitant prices for a jar if I make it to the right country, but im buggered if I'm paying Leeson street prices for the pleasure of scratching my arse in a Norwegian bar, searching for LW252 on a WWII erea valve radio....

In light of this, whats the situation with Ferries, and How 'out of the question' would it be to charter a big ol' boat from Dubbalin (or even Larne) to the Islands?

lopez
15/10/2004, 2:01 PM
In light of this, whats the situation with Ferries, and How 'out of the question' would it be to charter a big ol' boat from Dubbalin (or even Larne) to the Islands?A lot harder than it was some blokes hiring boats to bring in guns into these ports in 1914. :D

I'm staying at home for this one (part-time, daytripping, suited, w*nker I know). But it's got hassle all over it and I'm too old for hassle. Especially with the story about being diverted to Oslo proving the last straw. It was £4 a pint in Oslo in 1984 :eek: when it was just a quid in London. God knows what it will be now?

Pat O' Banton
15/10/2004, 2:16 PM
A lot harder than it was some blokes hiring boats to bring in guns into these ports in 1914. :D

I'm staying at home for this one (part-time, daytripping, suited, w*nker I know). But it's got hassle all over it and I'm too old for hassle. Especially with the story about being diverted to Oslo proving the last straw. It was £4 a pint in Oslo in 1984 :eek: when it was just a quid in London. God knows what it will be now?

Ahh come on, I'm supposed to getting the ferry out there; 25 hours of listening to me trying to sell cattle, Dav causing an international incident, and overpriced lager. How much more tempting can it get? Oh I see your point now.

lopez
15/10/2004, 2:48 PM
Ahh come on, I'm supposed to getting the ferry out there; 25 hours of listening to me trying to sell cattle, Dav causing an international incident, and overpriced lager. How much more tempting can it get? Oh I see your point now.I've checked out one ferry and it gets into Torshavn at 15:00. It's leaving it a bit tight, non??

MariborKev
15/10/2004, 3:52 PM
Lads

I was looking up Travelocity and there are a stack of flights around the £250 mark- in on the Monday, out on the Thursday, changing in Billlund

lopez
15/10/2004, 4:14 PM
Lads

I was looking up Travelocity and there are a stack of flights around the £250 mark- in on the Monday, out on the Thursday, changing in BilllundThis is more like it. :) :) However don't think you'll convince Pat 'I ain't gettin' on no plane fool!' O'Banton to take this offer up: But you're beginning to convince me!

Bondvillain
15/10/2004, 11:06 PM
However don't think you'll convince Pat 'I ain't gettin' on no plane fool!' O'Banton to take this offer up

Having had more horrors than Icarus while flying to dodgy away Venues (Maltese Airport designer ; 'Hey! lets but the runway out in the F*cking Sea! and surround it with mad Jagged rocks! Top idea!',) If P O B wants to share the risks of commandeering a seaLink with me, I'll be more than happy to Oblige... :D

Pat O' Banton
16/10/2004, 9:06 AM
Having had more horrors than Icarus while flying to dodgy away Venues (Maltese Airport designer ; 'Hey! lets but the runway out in the F*cking Sea! and surround it with mad Jagged rocks! Top idea!',) If P O B wants to share the risks of commandeering a seaLink with me, I'll be more than happy to Oblige... :D

Either sealink or me, you and a dingy stacked full of carry outs... and a couple of sanwiches. :D

sylvo
16/10/2004, 5:30 PM
[/i],) If P O B wants to share the risks of commandeering a seaLink with me, I'll be more than happy to Oblige... :D

I'll have some of that, the two of us can team up as a County tag team and chuck him over board. He's doing my head in with this promotion talk he's giving.

Babysis
18/10/2004, 12:30 PM
ok, Ive just had an email back from Head of reservations at Smyril Line Shetland:

Hello and thank you for your enquiry.
We have had a lot of interest for the football game next June already!

Unfortunately we do not have the prices as yet, but we do have the Timetable.

The game actually fits in quite well…

Depart Shetland Wednesday 8th June at 0130

Arrive Torshavn Wednesday 8th June at 1500

I think the game is at 1900.

For the return it would be departing Torshavn on a Friday at 0830 arriving into Shetland at 2100, the same night.

The cheapest fare last Summer was £144 per person return, in couchettes. There is discounts available for group bookings, every 16th person travels free if travelling in the same accommodation.

I hope this will be of some help to you,

Hope this helps.

Peadar
18/10/2004, 12:37 PM
Hope this helps.

C'mere girl! How do you think were going to get to the Shetland Islands?
They don't even have Puffins there!
We'd have to settle for Shetland Pony Goujons I suppose. :eek: :D

Babysis
18/10/2004, 12:42 PM
C'mere girl! How do you think were going to get to the Shetland Islands?
They don't even have Puffins there!
We'd have to settle for Shetland Pony Goujons I suppose. :eek: :D

This is the route she gave me. Its only another option!! She is getting back to me with other routes, so I will post when I know more! I'll swerve on asking about the pony goujons though!!

Peadar
18/10/2004, 12:59 PM
I'll swerve on asking about the pony goujons though!!

Just disguise the question.
"Is there any local delicacies we should try?" :D

Babysis
18/10/2004, 1:49 PM
Just disguise the question.
"Is there any local delicacies we should try?" :D

I actually asked her about local delicacies and heres what she said:

Mmm...where do I start?

We are not as bad as Faroe, where their local delicacy is puffin!

We do eat a lot of fish, every variety! Lots of shellfish, lobster, crab etc
Shetland lamb, quite ordinary really! We also have a distillers and a brewery,
which are well tested!

No pony im afraid!!

Schumi
18/10/2004, 1:53 PM
We are not as bad as Faroe, where their local delicacy is puffin!
I'm looking forward to that. :D

Peadar
18/10/2004, 2:16 PM
I'm looking forward to that. :D

Chalk it down!
This is a trip I can't miss.
I'm sure some people thought I was joking about the Puffin.

Having said that, a bit of Shetland lamb will go down a treat even if it is in summer.

Beanie
18/10/2004, 3:18 PM
I for one hope the rumours of the match being played in Denmark are true, for one i feel the restricted nature of travel to the Faroes would make it very pricey for those wanting to travel, i could see it up in the 500 - 600 Euro mark before you even put a drink to yer lips, and on that subject, the Faroes are mainly a teetotal society, with many hotels dry, when they serve beer its up to 9 euros a pint, think of the hike when they hear a hoard of paddies are coming over or worst still they could run out of beer!!!.. plus only 800 or so tickets are available, i would reckon in excess of 5000 would want to attend at least.
If it is in Denmark it's easily accessible, plenty of beer and a 40,000 sit capicity, although the Faroes sound different and a bit of an adventure i'm keepin my fingers crossed about the denmark rumours..

Schumi
18/10/2004, 3:20 PM
plus only 800 or so tickets are available, i would reckon in excess of 5000 would want to attend at least.
I'd be surprised if there's more than a couple of hundred going to the Faroes. There wasn't even 5000 in Switzerland!

Peadar
18/10/2004, 3:27 PM
I'd be surprised if there's more than a couple of hundred going to the Faroes.

Yeah, hype breeds hype and the only away game we can expect a decent crowd at now is Cyprus. That's purely down to the fact that guys can sell that trip to their ol dolls as a "sun holiday" and head off to Ayia Napa for a week.

Superhoops
18/10/2004, 5:45 PM
I for one hope the rumours of the match being played in Denmark are true, .........If it is in Denmark it's easily accessible, plenty of beer and a 40,000 sit capicity, although the Faroes sound different and a bit of an adventure i'm keepin my fingers crossed about the denmark rumours..

No chance, Denmark are at home to Albania on Wed. 8 June.

4tothefloor
18/10/2004, 6:36 PM
The Danes love beer, the Irish love beer - I don't see what the problem is :D We could always play the Faroes at say 4 or 5pm, on the other side of Copenhagen, in one of the smaller stadiums mentioned. The Denmark - Albania game would probably kick-off at 8pm, so it is possible as neither game would be likely to sell out.

Superhoops
18/10/2004, 8:24 PM
The Danes love beer, the Irish love beer - I don't see what the problem is :D We could always play the Faroes at say 4 or 5pm, on the other side of Copenhagen, in one of the smaller stadiums mentioned. The Denmark - Albania game would probably kick-off at 8pm, so it is possible as neither game would be likely to sell out.
If neither game is likely to be a sell-out, why not go the whole hog and play a double header at the Parken! You could put our game on second. This would allow us more time in the pub! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are pi**ing in the wind! The game will be played in the Faroes

sylvo
19/10/2004, 8:13 AM
I can't see this talk of playing the match in Denmark happening.
The Faroe's boss has already said no. The boat sound's like good craic, done a mad 19 hour train journey in Italy and it was one of the best disco's i've ever been at, and this boat sound's like it's going to be the same story. I'm having it.

Peadar
19/10/2004, 8:21 AM
The boat sound's like good craic.

I got a ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg about 10 years ago.
Think it took 20 hours or something.
Disco, cabaret bar, cinema, restaurant, the works!
Got totally sloshed!
It was one of the best parts of the trip.
DFDS was the ferry company I think.

Peadar
19/10/2004, 10:06 AM
you can't get a hotel for love nor money and would we ever get 4 match tickets to this??? Honest answers appreciated.

Are you too posh to squash?
Accommodation Option (http://www.hansen.fo/)

Paulie
19/10/2004, 10:19 AM
As much as I don't like throwing money at travel agents I reckon that for this trip I'll probably go on a package deal. I've looked at the options in terms of trying to organise my own way over and it looks as though if I was flying from Dublin and staying for 2 or 3 nights it would cost more than a package and would be a lot more hassle. I reckon that the package will be in the region of €700 but the way I see it, when am I likely to go to the Faroe Islands again.......outside of football, never. So far as the tickets for the match are concerned they may be included as part of the package but I'll send an application in to the FAI anyway. To be honest I don't see more than about 2,000 travelleing for this one. It's mid-week, it's very expensive and it's proving to be quite difficult to organise the travel aspect of it. This is not one for the fair weather supporter.

Paulie
19/10/2004, 10:55 AM
will there be a package option then for definite?

There will definitely be packages available. I think that 747 Travel will have their prices soon enough. I don't know about the likes of Abbey Travel and Ray Treacy etc (probably no point in calling him as he's normally extremely expensive). The fact though that you are based in england would you not be better off getting a direct flight from London? That way you only have the one flight going out and coming back rather than going on a package that is going from Ireland. I don't know what the story is with accomodation though if you're making your own way over.

zinedineontour
19/10/2004, 11:19 AM
I'd be surprised if there's more than a couple of hundred going to the Faroes. There wasn't even 5000 in Switzerland!

Well most people chose the glory trip of france rather than switzerland cause they were so close. We would have a huge crowed travelling if the game was in copenhagen as the only other away games are in march and october so time for people to afford it. Even if there is package trips will be very hard to get tickets due to the fact of us only been allocated around 800 tickets. A lot of those will ahve been allocated out already.

Superhoops
19/10/2004, 12:26 PM
I reckon that the package will be in the region of €700 .......To be honest I don't see more than about 2,000 travelleing for this one....

I cannot see travel agents doing it for anywhere near €700. Did you see how much they were charging for 2 nights in Paris?

No way will there be 2000 travelling, not enough tickets, not enough accommodation, midweek, too expensive. As you indicated in a previous post, not one for the fair weather brigade.

Paulie
19/10/2004, 12:37 PM
I cannot see travel agents doing it for anywhere near €700. Did you see how much they were charging for 2 nights in Paris?

No way will there be 2000 travelling, not enough tickets, not enough accommodation, midweek, too expensive. As you indicated in a previous post, not one for the fair weather brigade.

€700 was meant as an approximate price. I'd pay up to about €800 myself. I would hope that the travel agents realise that there is no point charging such a high price that people don't go (7 or 800 is of course a very high price). For me though I've had this one marked down as a definite from the time the draw was done so I'm prepared to pay a bit extra. As for the 2000 travelling, that's probably more wishful thinking on my part.

Babysis
02/11/2004, 4:43 PM
This is the latest email from the Ferry people

Hello again,

At last we have the prices for Summer 2005.

The cheapest fare is in couchettes at £144, sharing inside 4 berth £192 and a 2
berth cabin will be £272 per person.

There are a range of discounts available, but I think the Group Discount would
suit you best.

Every 16th person travels free in the same category of accommodation. If you
have buses, for groups over 25 the bus will be free.

If you are looking at going ahead with this I will need passengers names, dates
of birth, nationality and passport numbers, and also a full postal address for
communication for yourself. If I could get this asap, I will get the places
held for you, if you are still looking at the Smyril Option.

Brgds

Kathryn

Fr. Murphy
02/11/2004, 4:47 PM
What crowd is this with?

Babysis
03/11/2004, 9:23 AM
they are the Smyril Line Shetland ferry company

The full info is posted further back in the thread. Kathryn is more than willing to help and kindly got back to me with more info. Shetlands is not an ideal place to get to, but its a start. Her email address is: Kathryn@smyril-line.co.uk

Junior
07/11/2004, 12:45 PM
The birmingham crowd have two options available.

Option 1

Return flights from Stansted, 3 nights b&B for £370 (GBP) not sure who the flights are with.

Option 2

One day charter £500 (GBP) minimum of 30 people required.

Saw the details on a letter they sent out to members, contact details below. (though no details of the trip!!)

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/1000community/community_channel.cfm?community_id=7502662

Bondvillain
07/11/2004, 6:54 PM
Cant Fly. Need Boat. Help!

Ash
10/11/2004, 12:02 PM
I just got a reply from Atlantic Airways

====
Hi
I have checked our flights, and can see that we have direct flights
Stansted/Faroe Islands 05jun - departing Stansted 15:30 - Arriving
Faroe Island 18:50

And we have a return flight 09jun - departing Faroe Island 11:30 -
arriving Stansted 14:45

The recomanded price is 254£ one way.

If you chose to stay the night between Saturday and Sunday, we can
give you a better offer - fx.276£ for a return ticket ( payed/and ticked 7
days before depature and non refundable)

===

lopez
10/11/2004, 3:26 PM
On their web site the combined price was approx £315 (fares are one way although the Sunday flight is already selling well)

Follow this link: https://ebooking.sig2net.com/gbp/OneMonthAvailWhere.aspx?entrance=OneMonthAvail

We've sorted out flights with Iceland Express and Atlantic Airways via Reykjavik for about the same price although flight back is Friday to Reykjavik and Saturday to Stansted.

Don't think there should be any probs with watching the game.

http://www.framtak.com/photos/faroes_slovenia.html

The stadium has it's very own version of Millwall's old Den's - and politically incorrect - 'Jew Hill'.

loscherland
10/11/2004, 4:26 PM
On their web site the combined price was approx £315 (fares are one way although the Sunday flight is already selling well)

Follow this link: https://ebooking.sig2net.com/gbp/OneMonthAvailWhere.aspx?entrance=OneMonthAvail

We've sorted out flights with Iceland Express and Atlantic Airways via Reykjavik for about the same price although flight back is Friday to Reykjavik and Saturday to Stansted.

The stadium has it's very own version of Millwall's old Den's - and politically incorrect - 'Jew Hill'.

Link doesn't work (https://ebooking.sig2net.com/gbp/On...e=OneMonthAvail)

Gives this error:

Error(s)
System error. Please try again later (-140000)

Avian eBooking has generated an system error
An system error has occured. Please try again later.

?????????????????????????????????

lopez
10/11/2004, 6:08 PM
Go to the Atlantic Airlines web site. http://www.atlantic.fo/Default.asp?sida=97

Press 'International' which should bring you here: http://www.atlantic.fo/Default.asp?sida=96

Try on-line booking to the right which should lead you here: https://ebooking.sig2net.com/gbp/default.ASPX?AIRLINE=atlantic&language=en&bhcp=1

Then press on the London/Reykjavik/Oslo section and you should be at the page mentioned before.

Jon'o
10/11/2004, 6:13 PM

You could pitch your tent there too lopez ;)

lopez
10/11/2004, 6:17 PM
You could pitch your tent there too lopez ;)Never thought of that. :confused: That's a great idea! :D

Littlest Hobo
11/11/2004, 7:41 AM
I just got a reply from Atlantic Airways

====
Hi
I have checked our flights, and can see that we have direct flights
Stansted/Faroe Islands 05jun - departing Stansted 15:30 - Arriving
Faroe Island 18:50

And we have a return flight 09jun - departing Faroe Island 11:30 -
arriving Stansted 14:45

The recomanded price is 254£ one way.

If you chose to stay the night between Saturday and Sunday, we can
give you a better offer - fx.276£ for a return ticket ( payed/and ticked 7
days before depature and non refundable)

===

Trying to sort out the same flights. £315 for the return. Scottish mate went to the euro04 qualifier a couple of years ago and camped out on the hills, with the rest of his tartan army.

finn
11/11/2004, 8:27 AM
anyone know how much the ferry is between iceland and faroe's

I have been trying but short of rininging symril line I have found very little.

I do know that it is the opposite end if Iceland though but my plan was to spend a week in all up there, and do 2 days in iceland 3 days in faroes, 3 days in iceland

Pete

Ash
17/11/2004, 10:24 AM
Just got this from Stephens green Classic Sports Travel
=============
World Cup Soccer - Faroe Islands v Republic Ireland
Wednesday 08 June 2005
Torshaven Faroe Islands Luxury Cruise

Stephens Green Classic Sports Travel is pleased to offer exclusively to the
Irish market a unique opportunity to cruise Ex. Dublin Port on the Luxury
Cruise Ship MV Rembrandt to the Faroe Islands.

Departing Dublin on Sunday 05 June 2005 to attend this very important game.

The cruise Duration is 7 Days/6 nights.

The MV Rembrandt cruise ship is formerly the Cunard Crown Monarch Vessel
and was built in Valencia in Spain in 1990 and the gross tonnage is
15,270 with an average cruise speed of 16 knots. There is a variety of
accommodation available, all cabins are en suite with Satellite TV, Music
channels, telephone and air conditioning. The cabin ratio is as follows:
• 10 luxury suites • 23 Mini Suites • 200 outside cabins with porthole
• 30 inside cabins.

The recreation facilities on board are as follows:
• Lounge Bars (5) • Crown Cabaret Show Lounge • Vision Lounge
• Outdoor Swimming Pool • Casino • Photographer • Fitness Centre
• Sauna / Solarium • Hairdresser / beauty salon • Shops
• Hospital / Doctor / Nurse

Prices commence at €899 per person, for a berth in a 4 berth inside cabin –
Full Board (Including coach transfers in the Faroe Islands)
• Two Bed inside cabin is €1189 per person
• Two bed outside cabin is €1299 per person
• Deluxe Cabins commence €1499 per person

A full comprehensive cabin listings will be available shortly and a colour
brochure on 01 December ’04.
Extras:
Dublin & Torshaven Port Taxes, Match Tickets, Insurance
The Initial deposit to book is 30% of the Cruise cost depending on which
cabin you choose with the balance to be paid on 30 March ’05.

We look forward to being of service to you on this famous occasion.

Stephens Green Classic Sports Travel
2 Rampart Lane, Main Street, Donnybrook, Dublin 4.
Tel: 01 2837900 Fax: 01 2602435 Email: sports@dkt.ie
All meals are included on board the ship
• Breakfast • Lunch • Afternoon Tea • Dinner(2 Sittings) • Midnight Buffet

finn
17/11/2004, 11:05 AM
You could pitch your tent there too lopez ;)

Note that is not the stadium that the game will be played at AFAIK

We are playing in Torshavn stadium.
Here (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/faroe_islands/torshavn_torsvollur.shtml) is a pic

Pete