PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland (Away) Wed 8th Sep 04

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Junior
04/02/2004, 11:26 AM
Please use this thread to post any useful links, websites that can assist travel, accomodation, tickets etc...

Footie Related

Swiss FA Site http://www.football.ch/ (Remember the last game notification was on here as to when tickets were going on sale and how)

Flights

Swiss Air http://www.swiss.com/web/IE6/

Tickets

www.ticketcorner.ch Official ticket distributor for the last game

Accomodation

Basel Youth Hostel http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4

only1kilbane
04/02/2004, 12:14 PM
game most likely to be in basel again. Flights are available direct to geneva or zurich with aer lingus . If you go though heathrow you can fly from there direct to basel which is handy !

Junior
04/02/2004, 12:25 PM
FAI, suggest that game will be in Berne, However should it be Basel direct flights from Mcr for around 100stg, worth considering if you're gonna have to change in London anyway.

Beavis
04/02/2004, 1:01 PM
Try to get directly to the host city becuase trains are an absolute rip off.I paid the eqivilant of E120 for a return trip from Zurich Airport to Basel,that's about from Dublin to Kildare Town!

Pogsly
04/02/2004, 10:49 PM
I flew through Frankfurt and then onto Basle by train and although it was nice and handy (*there was zero waiting around ) it was also fairly expensive . And we had no stopover .

Junior
05/02/2004, 9:23 AM
Originally posted by Pogsly
I flew through Frankfurt and then onto Basle by train and although it was nice and handy (*there was zero waiting around ) it was also fairly expensive . And we had no stopover .

we did exactly the same, but found it to be very reasonable, managed to get a group ticket for the train which got you about 60% of the normal price per person. always worth looking for these on the national train webistes/booking agent

gspain
05/02/2004, 9:55 AM
Flew to Frankfurt too and flights and trains were reasonable.

Anyone know if any of the ripoff agents are doing a day trip. 3 days off midweek is not easy for me at the moment.

pineapple stu
05/02/2004, 1:45 PM
Don't a link for it, but try the Basel Gastpack on Dornacherstraße for accommodation - around E20 per person per night, to include free bus and tram travel for your stay. Only a mile or two from the City Centre, but with the trams, that's nothing.

Paulie
05/02/2004, 2:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gspain
[B]Flew to Frankfurt too and flights and trains were reasonable.

Went through Frankfurt as well. I think the combined price of flight and train was about €270 or so. With the accomodation thrown in it came to about €400 all in. it could have been better but it could have been a lot worse.

KCFC Bohs
05/02/2004, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
Try to get directly to the host city becuase trains are an absolute rip off.I paid the eqivilant of E120 for a return trip from Zurich Airport to Basel,that's about from Dublin to Kildare Town!

We paid €120 for a taxi back from Basle to Mulhouse in France.
The taxi driver was a Turkish emigrant who seemed more interested in the exploits of Hakan and Murat Yakin than the rest of the team put together!

gspain
05/02/2004, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by Paulie
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gspain
[B]Flew to Frankfurt too and flights and trains were reasonable.

Went through Frankfurt as well. I think the combined price of flight and train was about €270 or so. With the accomodation thrown in it came to about €400 all in. it could have been better but it could have been a lot worse.

Got the flight for €160 incl all taxes and charges. Booked in June.

Train was ~€70 by ringing Deutsche Bahn in the UK and getting a fixed ticket - specific trains - could have paid double that for flexible ticket.

Paid to much for accomodation as all the cheap hotels were gone but it was a nice hotel - St. Gotthard across from railway station.

Basle was lovely but hope it's a new city and new stadium - Berne would be fine.

My mates flew to Frankfurt Hahn and hired a car but the driving is not worth the hassle - especially when the navigator finds a new route from Neuchatel to Basle that invovles crisscrossing the Swiss countryside in the dark. :)

Junior
05/02/2004, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Don't a link for it, but try the Basel Gastpack on Dornacherstraße for accommodation - around E20 per person per night, to include free bus and tram travel for your stay. Only a mile or two from the City Centre, but with the trams, that's nothing.

http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4

This was the Hostel in Basel, perfect location and cheap. Ideal for a group, we had a room for 8.

As for the train, we rang a Deutsche Bahn booking office in the UK and got a 60% discount for a group of 6 or more (from Frankfurt to Basel).

SuperDub
05/02/2004, 10:18 PM
Aer lingus are currently charging €566 to travel from dublin to zurich 6th-9th Sept

Booked with ryan air and easyjet travelling from dublin through luton to zurich same dates €150.00

PaulB
06/02/2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SuperDub
Aer lingus are currently charging €566 to travel from dublin to zurich 6th-9th Sept

Booked with ryan air and easyjet travelling from dublin through luton to zurich same dates €150.00

British Midland will get you to Zurich for 215 via Heathrow

lopez
13/02/2004, 12:46 PM
Asked to post this here as well.

Email from Davros this morning claims Easyjet are starting to fly to seven new destinations. Included is Basel (as well as Budapest and Ljubljana and four more airports).

only1kilbane
17/02/2004, 10:20 AM
I was another one who had already booked flights this time with easyjet to geneva but got them changed them over at a cost ! Depending on what days you are looking to travel you can still find seats for 3.99 each way at the moment. The monday to thursday is the dearest but still only works out about 45 euro including taxes. Hopefully ryanair might have cheap flights to stansted soon so i can meet them flights bit dear at the moment ...

4tothefloor
12/03/2004, 4:20 PM
Out of interest, has everybody here already applied to the FAI for their tickets to the Swiss and French away games?

only1kilbane
13/03/2004, 12:49 PM
they will only start taking applications about 8-10 weeks before the game and release them about 6 weeks prior to game no so rush yet !

Game is deffo confirmed in basel now !

Paulie
15/03/2004, 10:27 AM
Game is deffo confirmed in basel now ! [/B][/QUOTE]

Where did you hear it was confirmed? I rang the FAI last week to ask if the venue had been confirmed and they said that it hadn't. I booked my flight to Basel anyway though!

only1kilbane
15/03/2004, 11:08 AM
emailed the swiss fa in my best french and they confirmed to me that the game would be in basel.

Paulie
15/03/2004, 11:13 AM
Cheers. Maybe you should apply for a job in the FAI. They could do with someone like you!

Feech
18/03/2004, 11:06 AM
I would be very dubious about that, there has been no official word from the SFV about venues and I'm sure they will wait until after Euro 2004 to decide upon it.

Berne is definitely not a runner as the stadium is not finished.

So it is between Geneva and Basle again - both 30,000 capacity.

only1kilbane
18/03/2004, 4:05 PM
well i can only pass on what they told me. Was surprised they told me didnt think they would give out that info but glad cause have flights and hotel booked to basel.

Feech
19/03/2004, 10:33 AM
fair enough if you say you got it from the horse's mouth, I am still very surprised though that they say they have it already fixed.

only1kilbane
19/03/2004, 12:19 PM
Well i was surprised as well am only writing what they told me. WOuld have been a strange choice for them to have used Geneva when Basle has worked so well for them and the majority of the footballing support in the country is focused up there

Feech
19/03/2004, 1:38 PM
That is generally true, but a good run in Euro 2004 and they could just as easily sell it out in Geneva.

The last big friendly before leaving is in Basel, they usually rotate between the two. Doesn't mean they have to continue the cycle though.

Logically, if they want to win they'll play it in Basel alright.

I've written to them in German, let's see if they say the same.

Feech
22/03/2004, 3:49 PM
Sorry for doubting you Kilbane, I also got confirmation that it is Basle.

Go ahead and book everything then people!!

only1kilbane
22/03/2004, 4:22 PM
no bother i can see why you were dubious. I was surprised myself when they got back to me ! Best option of flights seems to be easyjet direct london basel gone up a bit now though so zurich might be cheaper option from luton.
www.needahotel.com do cheap hotels in basel got the radisson for 45euro a night pp not bad for five star hotel

NeilMcD
13/04/2004, 2:45 PM
anybody got any idea what time the game is likely to be, i can arrive in basel at at 14.40 at the airport. ANybody know when game is likely to kick off

only1kilbane
14/04/2004, 9:59 AM
likely to kick off around half 7 local time so that gives you plenty of time anyway.

Beavis
14/04/2004, 12:34 PM
plenty of time
...for drinking :D

Has anyone heard any information on the likely numbers travelling to Swiss?(Just wondering what the chances are of getting a ticket off the FAI)

Paulie
15/04/2004, 10:13 AM
Shouldn't be as hard to get tickets as it was the last time as the same numbers won't be going. Either way I'll be staying well clear of euroteam.

only1kilbane
15/04/2004, 11:16 AM
with the france game only a month after hopefully most people will go for that one and not go to swiss as I want an Irish ticket this time. Had to sit in the Swiss end last time and kept getting hit in the back of the head and once in the eye with their stupid flags ! Also i am not sitting in the middle of 30,000 people dancing to agadoo never again ....

Paulie
15/04/2004, 11:58 AM
Also i am not sitting in the middle of 30,000 people dancing to agadoo never again ....[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was in amongst the Swiss as well. To say that I was surprised when they started playing agadoo is a bit of an understatement. Still it was more entertaining than what happened on the pitch.

only1kilbane
15/04/2004, 12:26 PM
not really the song to put a bit of fear into the oppostion off is it but must have worked that night ! Never again had that song and hop swiss running through my head for weeks. Cant be as bad again can we ?

Beavis
15/04/2004, 1:47 PM
Was anyone actually in the irish end??

Got me hands on one of them nice Hopp Sweizz hats aswell,just incase I'd ever forget....... ;)
In fairness to them we were going mad in the middle of them and we didn't get any abuse,not many places you could expect that

only1kilbane
15/04/2004, 1:49 PM
in one sense would have been better to get some abuse rather than seeing agadoo and then happy birthday to the manager . Got out of the stadium quicker than ever before ,,

Paulie
15/04/2004, 2:00 PM
Cant be as bad again can we ?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's physically possible for us to be that bad again.

For anyone that hasn't booked their hotel yet I found a decent looking 4 star about 2 km from the city centre. It's the Ramada Plaza. The room is costing us €282 in total for 3 nights based on 2 people sharing a twin room. So 3 nights accommodation in a 4 star hotel for €140....not too bad. If any of you are going to check it out you will find it on www.needahotel.com

I don't know why but some of the other travel sites are offering the same hotel for the same nights at more expensive rates so this is probably the way to go.

PaulB
06/05/2004, 8:29 AM
Anybody Recommend any hotels in basel. Was in the Victoria last time which was excellent, but seems to be booked out..

oconghc2
06/05/2004, 11:54 PM
we flew to brussels ryanair - then direct train from brussels to basel.

worked out bout 150 euro - train down is good craic - plenty of irish gettin on along the way.

accomodation is reasonable if you get a b&B - check the tourism site (no worries if you're not right in centre - trams are good and regular

Junior
07/05/2004, 8:50 AM
Anybody Recommend any hotels in basel. Was in the Victoria last time which was excellent, but seems to be booked out..

Not a hotel, but this place was spot on last time we played there. About 15 minute walk from main sq/train station. Very reasonably priced & very clean (much better than some hotels I've stayed in!!). All size of rooms, we had an 8 man dorm for our group but I think they have twins, quads etc.... Would definitely recommend it.

PS: They'll be loads of Irish there as well!!! :)

Basel Youth Hostel http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4

Feech
19/05/2004, 9:10 AM
For anyone who is interested, the Swiss FA have announced that the U-21 game will be played in Berne's Neufeld stadion.

Neufeld is only the temporary home of Young Boys Berne, it looks a bit like Santry Stadium - running track around it too.

only1kilbane
19/05/2004, 11:22 AM
Dont suppose you know how close berne is to basel as would not mind headin down from basel for game !

lopez
19/05/2004, 12:58 PM
Bummer. I was hoping for Neuchatel - to meet up with my ganja smoking, Che Guevara worshiping ultra friends again - or Lausanne perhaps. Still, allows me to stay in a hotel named after a famous Kilburn Irish nitespot which is now :eek: :eek: a temple to Pentecostalism (do these brothers and sisters know of the drunken hedonism and papal idolatry that went on that place before), which unfortunately I was, slung out of on account of a broken door and a earlier brawl between two roommates that made the place look like the bathroom in the film 'Scarface.'

sylvo
19/05/2004, 2:31 PM
Are yer sure yer allowed back to Berne Lopez :cool: , that's a shame now was half sure it'd be Neuchatel again :p .

lopez
19/05/2004, 3:00 PM
Are yer sure yer allowed back to Berne Lopez :cool: , that's a shame now was half sure it'd be Neuchatel again :p .I've got more chance of getting into The National, Berne than The National, Kil-berne these days, although the sacking of the bloke who used to run the 'happy daze' sermons, as featured recently on the cover of The Voice for his extra-curricular activities, might make it a bit easier. :D

Volltreffer
20/05/2004, 10:51 AM
For those who still had doubts, it's now official that the game will be in Basel.

"Die Schweizer Nationalmannschaft wird die ersten zwei Qualifikations-Spiele für die WM 2006 in Deutschland im St.-Jakob-Park in Basel bestreiten. Dies entschied der Zentralvorstand des SFV. Das Team Köbi Kuhns trifft am 4. September auf die Färöer Inseln und vier Tage später auf Irland.

Le Comité central de l’Association Suisse de Football (ASF) a déterminé le lieu des deux premiers matches de qualification pour la Coupe du Monde 2006 en Allemagne. La Suisse reçoit les Iles Féroé le samedi 4 septembre 2004 et l’Irlande le mercredi 8 septembre 2004 au Stade St. Jakob-Park à Bâle."

Junior
20/05/2004, 4:41 PM
For those who still had doubts, it's now official that the game will be in Basel.

"Die Schweizer Nationalmannschaft wird die ersten zwei Qualifikations-Spiele für die WM 2006 in Deutschland im St.-Jakob-Park in Basel bestreiten. Dies entschied der Zentralvorstand des SFV. Das Team Köbi Kuhns trifft am 4. September auf die Färöer Inseln und vier Tage später auf Irland.

Le Comité central de l’Association Suisse de Football (ASF) a déterminé le lieu des deux premiers matches de qualification pour la Coupe du Monde 2006 en Allemagne. La Suisse reçoit les Iles Féroé le samedi 4 septembre 2004 et l’Irlande le mercredi 8 septembre 2004 au Stade St. Jakob-Park à Bâle."

Volltreffer, welcome back!!!

Won't make it to Basel for this one I'm afraid, though I'm hopeful we can improve on our last result over there.

Best of luck in Portugal - are you heading over??

Volltreffer
20/05/2004, 5:15 PM
Hi Junior!

Volltreffer, welcome back!!!
Thanks!

... though I'm hopeful we can improve on our last result over there.
I'm hopeful you can't, though Switzerland are not playing well at the moment. Their next "friendly" game will be against Germany (in Basel) on June 2 - the game is sold out.

Best of luck in Portugal - are you heading over??
No.

In case you want to do some betting again, Basel are busy reinforcing their team for the CL qualification. ;)

Junior
21/05/2004, 10:00 AM
In case you want to do some betting again, Basel are busy reinforcing their team for the CL qualification. ;)

I'll wait and see how much 'reinforcing' Celtic do in the summer before I decide which team I want to lose my money on!!!!

How is Streller doing these days, not kept up to date on him since our game last year??