PDA

View Full Version : ryanair/how do they get away with it

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 7:43 AM
calling the airport paris/beauvais.the airport is 55 miles north of paris.christ its like calling an irish airport dublin/carlow which are the same distance apart.
i had the misfortune to arrive there at evening time and it took 2 full hours to get to "paris" from "paris beauvais" airport.i just
think its a bit rich being allowed call it anything remotely near paris as its f*****G miles away from it.:mad:

Macy
04/02/2004, 7:45 AM
That has been widely known since the service began, so you haven't much come back. I assume you got the flights for fúck all as well?

my left foot
04/02/2004, 8:11 AM
why dont you complain to them,you`ll love their reply.you have to write to them mind,they more or less tell you not to bother them with your business

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 8:25 AM
Originally posted by Macy
That has been widely known since the service began, so you haven't much come back. I assume you got the flights for fúck all as well?

its still publisised as a short bus journey into paris.had to go at reasonably short notice so i got nailed on the fare.:(

mickrev
04/02/2004, 8:40 AM
Im sure it was dirt cheap wasn't it? Cheaper than getting a bus to Dublin probably.

shedite
04/02/2004, 8:51 AM
I used Ryanair a lot last summer and know the feeling. Rome Campino is a good one. Our hostel was quite close to the center. From there we had to get a subway to a train station, then get on another subway which you take to the end of the line, and then get on a bus fr another half hour to the airport.

And when you fly to "Munich", you actually end up in Salzberg, which is in Austria. I think that's the best one. Better than paying and extra hundred though if you have the time. At least it's an alternative.

tiktok
04/02/2004, 8:51 AM
Originally posted by the 12 th man
i got nailed on the fare.:(

if you're going to pay a lot anyway, steer clear of ryanair. i'm afraid the location of Beauvais is common knowledge now so you'll find it hard to get anyone at the company to listen to a complaint.

Dodge
04/02/2004, 9:06 AM
Originally posted by shedite
I used Ryanair a lot last summer and know the feeling. Rome Campino is a good one. Our hostel was quite close to the center. From there we had to get a subway to a train station, then get on another subway which you take to the end of the line, and then get on a bus fr another half hour to the airport.

Ciampino is actually closer to the city than the main airport in Rome. (other side of city) You should have used Ryanair's laid on bus for 8 quid which drops you right in the centre of town.

In fairness to Ryanair if you click on their website and check out the destination it usually tells you exactly how far it is away from the city For Paris they say its 56km. (http://www.ryanair.com/destinfo03/dests/destinfo.html?id=France&lang=&target=bva) Seems fairly honest to me...

Macy
04/02/2004, 9:10 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
If it's any comfort, while the trip from Beauvais is a bit of a haul, a bus from Charles de Gaulle in is no 5 minute spin either.
If you coming from/ going to South Dublin, Dublin Airport is hardly that convenient either. In London all the airports are a good distance out of the centre (bar London City obv) as well....

O'Leary was on McWilliams this morning and they were actually talking about the charges for last minute bookings - he just said they're only expensive if the plane is nearly full, which invariably they are at that stage....

Colm
04/02/2004, 11:52 AM
And I presume half the board at one stage or another have been half way out to Stanstead, in a station like Tottenham Hale, looking nervously at their watches

The train to and from Stanstead is fine, I've travelled on it quite a few times and it's always been fairly prompt.
However, you should try taking a bus from Victoria station to Stanstead in rush hour on a wednesday evening. I did it last summer, remember in early August when they recorded the hottest day ever in Britain. There was no air conditioning on the bus and I can honestly say that the oppressive heat ensured it was the most unbearable journey I've ever taken. Add to that the awful traffic and it took me nearly 2 hours of hell to get to Stanstead.

I've never flown to Paris/Beauvais. However, like Conor pointed out, i seem to remember the trip from Charles De Gaulle to central Paris is a bit of a dose aswell. I think I had to get a bus, train and Metro before I reached my hotel.

Macy
04/02/2004, 12:40 PM
The last two times I've used it I've missed my flight. That included once where we were told that the train was slipping on leaves and had to stall quite a few times - the fact that it was waiting on the platform for about one hour was ignored. WAGN Railways paid out something like £100 afterwards as by the time the train arrived at Stanstead there were no flights to anywhere - I don't think the Hilton at Stanstead was ever so busy. And last time round things were so bad that we decided to jump out at Tottenham Hale and get a cab which cost us £80 sterling...and we still missed it...though we beat the train...
*apologies in advance*
That's what you get when you mindlessly privatise public transport.... :)

Roo69
04/02/2004, 12:54 PM

i had the misfortune to arrive there at evening time and it took 2 full hours to get to "paris" from "paris beauvais" airport.i just
think its a bit rich being allowed call it anything remotely near paris as its f*****G miles away from it.:mad:

Just like trying to get from Dublin Airport to the southside of the city on any evening as well ! took me nearly 3 hours to get from dublin airport to Bray 2 weeks ago ! 3 bleedin hours ! i could have been to mainland europe and back in that time

Schumi
04/02/2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Roo69
Just like trying to get from Dublin Airport to the southside of the city on any evening as well ! took me nearly 3 hours to get from dublin airport to Bray Bray fan admits Bray is part of Dublin shocker!

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 1:11 PM
Just like trying to get from Dublin Airport to the southside of the city on any evening as well ! took me nearly 3 hours to get from dublin airport to Bray 2 weeks ago ! 3 bleedin hours ! i could have been to mainland europe and back in that time

thats a fair point.but dublin airport to city centre is about 6 or seven miles, and as such is entitled to be called dublin airport,where as 56 kms(it felt a lot further) is a bit much :D

SÓC
04/02/2004, 1:15 PM
One of the most "fun" things about Ryanair is being over 6ft.

You'll have the pleasure of seeing your knees up your nose. But then i think we all forefit our right to complain when we get such good deals.

For the Ireland Scotland match last year I Dublin to Eninburgh return for €45 euro. The flights cost .99c each I think.

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

You'll have the pleasure of seeing your knees up your nose. But then i think we all forefit our right to complain when we get such good deals.

For the Ireland Scotland match last year I Dublin to Eninburgh return for €45 euro. The flights cost .99c each I think.

i think the days of those kind of fares is comming to an end with the advent of the charleoi debacle.i think what will ultimately happen is with aer fungus now starting to compete with the budget jobbies,that the fares will eventually settle down at somewhere in between the low fare ryanair and the higher flag carrier.either way i cant see the day of the 1 euro flight lasting(mabe the first 3 seats on each flight or similar) and the cost of same distributed on the fares for the rest of the seats

Macy
04/02/2004, 1:29 PM
Yeah the other week it took me longer to get from the airport to work (Baggot Street) than the rest of the journey from me mam's in Manchester, including the dead time between check in and departure....

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

You'll have the pleasure of seeing your knees up your nose.

i happen to be 6ft 4 and i know the feeling.the pitch between the seats is very small.there is not enough room to turn a sweet in your mouth:D

my left foot
04/02/2004, 1:46 PM
i gave up using ryanair two years ago,when they introduced their passports only policy.mine was out of date and they wouldnt let me on,even claimed dail&west****ster had changed the law.phone call to aer fungus cleared that up.they told me to go on their site and i flew from heathrow that evening for £40 rtn. cheaper than my ryanair tickets had been.its still the same now, passport for ryanair,buspass for aer lingus.the latter is cheaper and generally more convenient.

Plastic Paddy
04/02/2004, 1:50 PM
*apologies in advance*
That's what you get when you mindlessly privatise public transport.... :)

Lopez, where are you? The goal is open, the keeper is stranded and Macy has just laid on a killer pass... ;)

:D PP

John83
04/02/2004, 2:19 PM
i happen to be 6ft 4 and i know the feeling.the pitch between the seats is very small.there is not enough room to turn a sweet in your mouth:D
Some of the 'bendy-buses' are the same. I'm barely 6' 0", and I wind up sitting sideways on them.

Peadar
04/02/2004, 2:33 PM
Originally posted by my left foot
passport for ryanair,buspass for aer lingus.the latter is cheaper and generally more convenient.

The price of the passport is going up next month.
Anyone looking to save themselves around €15 should apply for theirs now.

Macy
04/02/2004, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by my left foot
i gave up using ryanair two years ago,when they introduced their passports only policy.mine was out of date and they wouldnt let me on,even claimed dail&west****ster had changed the law.phone call to aer fungus cleared that up.they told me to go on their site and i flew from heathrow that evening for £40 rtn. cheaper than my ryanair tickets had been.its still the same now, passport for ryanair,buspass for aer lingus.the latter is cheaper and generally more convenient.
Ryanair is current passport or driving licence that has a photo. It's always worth checking all the sites to see where the best deal is, as occasionally Aer Lingus is cheaper, particularly short term....

Peadar
04/02/2004, 2:45 PM
occasionally Aer Lingus is cheaper

Plus the fact that Aer Lingus fly to the States and are offering some serious deals at the moment.

Got a great return flight to Manchester at a decent hour of the day with Aer Lingus for next month and it was €30 odd cheaper than Ryanair on the same dates at obscure times.

Dodge
04/02/2004, 2:58 PM
the SEI are off to barcelona next weekend and most of us got our flights for 150 from Aer Lingus....

Went to new York with them for a decent price too.

Always best to shop around...

max power
04/02/2004, 3:07 PM
Aer Lingus advertising, one region one price, europe €49 !! each way, bulls**t, i've booked a flight today to madrid for the start of april......343 return, eh €49 ???

the new york route is handy and competitive but no tv in each seat which is a big plus for me, i flew contiental to newark, left dublin at 9 and flew direct and was there at 11.30, cheaper than aer lingus, there earlier and tv in each seat.

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 3:13 PM
breaking news:ryanair set to open first routes to america.

michael o leary today announced their first direct flights to the usa.their first route is dublin to dallas/new york

"when you arrive in new york you will be put on a greyhound bus for the short 21 hour bus hop to dallas".we hope to service canada too from this very central location"

Dodge
04/02/2004, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by max power
Aer Lingus advertising, one region one price, europe €49 !! each way, bulls**t, i've booked a flight today to madrid for the start of april......343 return, eh €49 ???

the new york route is handy and competitive but no tv in each seat which is a big plus for me, i flew contiental to newark, left dublin at 9 and flew direct and was there at 11.30, cheaper than aer lingus, there earlier and tv in each seat.
Went to NY with Aerlingus and there was a tv for each seat. Came back via Paris with American Airlines and no TV in each seat...

That Aer Lingus thing was for limited time only (think for flights up to March..) Like all airlines the cheap ones go early

Peadar
04/02/2004, 3:20 PM
Aer Lingus advertising, one region one price, europe €49 !! each way, bulls**t
343 return, eh €49 ???

I think you'll find that if your dates are flexible you'll get the best deals no matter which airline you fly with.
In you're case though I'm sure the flights were originally €49 but after culchie tax and midlands red-neck tax the cost shot up :D

max power
04/02/2004, 3:21 PM
i still think 343 for a direct flight to spain is expensive, not that anyone else was cheaper for a direct flight anyway.... i want to go direct because i'm bringing my skydiving gear and security always have a problem with it

max power
04/02/2004, 3:22 PM
peader i had a good deal arranged but the e mail went down so i couldn't get back to them to confirm the flight.....

Peadar
04/02/2004, 3:25 PM
the e mail went down

The e-mail is the only thing to ever go down on you!!!
You should get professionals in to have a look at that for you.

max power
04/02/2004, 3:28 PM
some la*ger was in here a few months ago, but all he did was sit upstairs and eat and drink, i think he was doing home made "milkshakes" a lot of the time.

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 4:11 PM
.. i want to go direct because i'm bringing my skydiving gear

are you james bond :D

A face
04/02/2004, 4:23 PM
For the record .... last time in went to Forli in Italy (advertised Bologna) there was a free 1 hour bus journey to Bologna and one on the way back (but got the train back instead to Forli and bus to the airport then for €8 or something like that.)

It definitely pays to have flexible times and shop around for a while in advance.

A face
04/02/2004, 4:25 PM

*apologies in advance*
That's what you get when you mindlessly privatise public transport....

Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
Lopez, where are you? The goal is open, the keeper is stranded and Macy has just laid on a killer pass... ;)

:D PP

It is only asking for it ....... fish in a barrell :D

the 12 th man
04/02/2004, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Dodge

In fairness to Ryanair if you click on their website and check out the destination it usually tells you exactly how far it is away from the city / For Paris they say its 56km. [/url] Seems fairly honest
to me...

just checked the aa site for directions and mileages in france.from beauvais airport to stade de france which is on your left on the outskirts ,before you get to the middle of paris is 89.5 kilometers.
so much for 56 kilometers,lying bstards
:mad:

Éanna
04/02/2004, 5:17 PM
i'm fed up of people whinging about ryanair. everyone knows what they're like. I've always got better deals from them than anyone else, so I use them. If you want comfort or to use your bus pass or something , and you don't mind paying another 100 for the privilege- fine! i'm in germany at the mo- got a flight from kerry to frankfurt hahn (nearly 2 hours from frankfurt) for 26 euro return and the bus to frankfurt for 12 euro. if I went aer lingus it was 190 euro from dublin

max power
05/02/2004, 7:23 AM
are you james bond :D

no i'm just one of those fools who enjoys jumping out of perfectly good aeroplanes to fall to the ground at 180mph, with nothing but a piece of fabric to stop me from being killed.

the 12 th man
05/02/2004, 7:36 AM
no i'm just one of those fools who enjoys jumping out of perfectly good aeroplanes to fall to the ground at 180mph, with nothing but a piece of fabric to stop me from being killed.

i know its not recommended,but did you ever try it with a hang over (skydiving that is):cool:

max power
05/02/2004, 7:40 AM
yeah and it really clears out the system, nothin like it, really there is nothing like it on the planet....

pete
05/02/2004, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
i'm fed up of people whinging about ryanair. everyone knows what they're like. I've always got better deals from them than anyone else, so I use them.

Yup even if you never use Ryanair their existence will ensure national carriers keep their prices down a bit. Ryanair probbaly not going to suit if only off for a few days but its a hell of a lot better having a cheap option + bus journey than just having expensive central airport option.

the 12 th man
05/02/2004, 5:02 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
i'm fed up of people whinging about ryanair.

i would not dispute that on the whole that they are cheaper
usually that most other airlines.my problem with them (on the route that i quoted) is that they are allowed to call it paris airport
when its 90 kilometers away.i know we now know that at this stage ,but in these days of euro bureaocrats i would have thought that they would be pulled on it.

its just something that bugs the sh1t out of me.and maybe with the boys going over for the match that havnt gone via this route
before,its just letting them know how far it is, from airport to
stade de france
:D

the 12 th man
06/02/2004, 7:40 AM

saw an item last night on tv about guys jumping off a cliff with a parachute on.(base jumping??).one guys parachute failed to open and he hit the water at full speed.he ended up breaking his back and tailbone with fractured ribs etc.he said it was like hitting a wall.ouch!!!!!!!!

max power
06/02/2004, 7:52 AM
yeah i've seen a few nasty injurys, when your base jumping you only have one parachute, no reserve, because the reserve would not have time to open. the worst i've had is a busted ankle due to a bad landing in a corn field in slovakia. and just to show how rubbish our health service is, i was brought to a hospital, i got an x ray, seen by 2 doctors and pain killers all for €12.......

Macy
06/02/2004, 8:13 AM
just to show how rubbish our health service is, i was brought to a hospital, i got an x ray, seen by 2 doctors and pain killers all for €12.......
Yeah, someone on the Radio this morning when they were discussing the open borders policy (whether to close them!) for the accession countries... Point was made that in most of the countries they'll hardly be rushing over for medical treatment, as their health services p!ss all over ours... Also saying that particularly the Hungarian and Czech models are ones that we should be looking at...

max power
06/02/2004, 8:14 AM
czech/slovak are the same really and are so good and cheap, but staying in a hospital is different, didn't look very clean to me.....

the 12 th man
09/02/2004, 7:14 AM

see the world record for a group formation jump was broken at the weekend.i think it was 253 people all joined together hurtling towards terra firma,it looked very impressive.:cool:

Roo69
09/02/2004, 1:01 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Bray fan admits Bray is part of Dublin shocker!

NEVER ! lol

you knew what i meant !