PDA

View Full Version : the oscars 04

the scout
03/02/2004, 2:55 PM
return of the king is 1/3 fav for best picture,with peter jackson the same price for best director.(very skinny price me thinks)
sean penn is 4/7 for best actor/bill murray is 6/4 second fav
charlese thieron is 1/3 for best actress

why is it you very seldom see a film you think yourself should be there in the nominations.??:confused:

max power
03/02/2004, 3:13 PM
eh this year is full of movies that the general public liked, lost in translation, lord of the rings, mystic river.

and for johnny deep to get a nod of pirates of the carab is showing that main stream cinema is starting to move its way further up the ladder.

i'd go for peter jackson or director

mystic river for picture

bill murray for actor

pete
03/02/2004, 4:17 PM
Must be a bad year if LOTR3 is favourite. Not a patch on 1 or 2.

:rolleyes:

the scout
03/02/2004, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by max power

and for johnny deep to get a nod of pirates of the carab is showing that main stream cinema is starting to move its way further up the ladder.

johhy depp is a 20/1 shot,lord of the rings no 3 was way too long and boring and for that to get best picture just sucks.what about "the human stain"

Dodge
03/02/2004, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by pete
Must be a bad year if LOTR3 is favourite. Not a patch on 1 or 2.

:rolleyes:
Its politics. As soon as the first didn't win, everybody (and by that I mean those who follow these things) start talking about how the third would win.

It will defnitely win...

Dodge
03/02/2004, 5:25 PM
Originally posted by the scout
johhy depp is a 20/1 shot,lord of the rings no 3 was way too long and boring and for that to get best picture just sucks.what about "the human stain"
Human stain is as bad a film I've ever seen...

tiktok
03/02/2004, 7:57 PM
Predictions for the big eight......

Film - LOTR (the academy will want to award it for the trilogy)
Director - Jackson (same reason)
Actor - Penn (Murray isn't widely popular and Penn is turning up on the night for the first time)
Actress - Theron (makes herself ugly, a true story, oscar laps it up)
S/Actor - Robbins (toughest one to call, Baldwin has a return to form and is popular and will do the talk show circuit)
S/Actress - Zelewegger (guilt trip for having ignored Cold mountain)
Orig s/play - Lost in translation (cause sophie'll win nothing else)
Adapted s/play - LOTR (toughie, LOTR might sweep but the academy will want to reward City of god to prove they're generous)

it's all politics!

Dodge
04/02/2004, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
Predictions for the big eight......

Film - LOTR (the academy will want to award it for the trilogy)
Director - Jackson (same reason)
Actor - Penn (Murray isn't widely popular and Penn is turning up on the night for the first time)
Actress - Theron (makes herself ugly, a true story, oscar laps it up)
S/Actor - Robbins (toughest one to call, Baldwin has a return to form and is popular and will do the talk show circuit)
S/Actress - Zelewegger (guilt trip for having ignored Cold mountain)
Orig s/play - Lost in translation (cause sophie'll win nothing else)
Adapted s/play - LOTR (toughie, LOTR might sweep but the academy will want to reward City of god to prove they're generous)

it's all politics!
I think murray will win it. Seeing as they've overlooked him up to now... (that its the best performance of the year...)

I think Mystic River will win Adapted Screenplay. Apart from that I agree.

max power
04/02/2004, 9:20 AM
dodge is right about murray, but adapted screen paly will go to LOTR, my house mate has read the books three times and said jackson even did the annex at the back of the book, nothing was overlooked, it made the film 25 mins longer at the end, but he wanted to finish the movie by showing the audience what happened to each character.....

Dodge
04/02/2004, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by max power
dodge is right about murray, but adapted screen paly will go to LOTR, my house mate has read the books three times and said jackson even did the annex at the back of the book, nothing was overlooked, it made the film 25 mins longer at the end, but he wanted to finish the movie by showing the audience what happened to each character.....
Yeah but Mystic River is the big american hope this year. (lost in translation is too Indie) so they have to give it a couple. This will be one of them...