PDA

View Full Version : Phil Bardsley ?

Closed Account 2
01/08/2009, 1:51 PM
Bardsley, the Sunderland right back, is available to us. (He also qualifies for Scotland and England). Apparently he's turned Scotland down but hasn't been approached by us. Although he's a bit short as a defender, I think he could be a good option to consider. McShane can play at right back too, but Bardsley seems to start at right back for Sunderland.

Leejo
01/08/2009, 3:36 PM
No thank you.

happydays97
01/08/2009, 3:39 PM
Better option than McShane

joema
01/08/2009, 5:26 PM
Not this rubbish again.

Diarmo
01/08/2009, 5:58 PM
If all goes to plan we'll have four Irish right backs playing every week in the Premiership Finnan, Foley, Kelly and Carr (if he comes out of retirement). SO I'd argue we're relatively well covered in that position. Not going to stop Trap playing McShane there though....

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2009, 6:05 PM
If all goes to plan we'll have four Irish right backs playing every week in the Premiership Finnan, Foley, Kelly and Carr (if he comes out of retirement). SO I'd argue we're relatively well covered in that position. Not going to stop Trap playing McShane there though....
Kelly will not be playing regularly at right back for Fulham. He will be a back up choice for their first XI.

It is positive though that we will have a number of options playing regularly in the top division (don't forget O'Shea as well).

Paddy Garcia
01/08/2009, 8:17 PM
McShane can play at right back too,.

... since when ?

theworm2345
01/08/2009, 8:37 PM
I think Joey O'Brien can play right back as well and even though I'm not a big fan of his I'd take him over Bardsley.

Serb
01/08/2009, 9:19 PM
I think if Phil Bardsley had any connection with his Irish roots, he wouldn't have gone on loan to Rangers. I'd be very surprised if he agreed to play for Ireland at any point in his career.

christo
01/08/2009, 9:59 PM
... since when ?

Since he can't play at centre back

Crosby87
01/08/2009, 11:49 PM
I can see it now the Daily Mirror's Headline next June: "Phil Bardsley scores 2 goals vs Spain to put Ireland in the World Cup Finals, Real Madrid eyeing Bardsley."
Bardsley credits amazing WC performance to his out of nowhere call up from the Italian Wizard Gio Trappa, right before the World Cup started. "I didnt even know I was Irish at the time," Said Bardsley, who recently bought a home in Cork. Stephen Ireland is said to be considering a return to the fold for the EURO 2012 campaign after being moved to tears watching Bardsley wave his magic wand during the World Cup including 3 goals vs North Korea that BArdsley dedicated to the long suffering Irish fans. "Its amazing, I didnt know I was Irish either." Said Ireland.

shelbourne1904
02/08/2009, 3:55 PM
I can see it now the Daily Mirror's Headline next June: "Phil Bardsley scores 2 goals vs Spain to put Ireland in the World Cup Finals, Real Madrid eyeing Bardsley."
Bardsley credits amazing WC performance to his out of nowhere call up from the Italian Wizard Gio Trappa, right before the World Cup started. "I didnt even know I was Irish at the time," Said Bardsley, who recently bought a home in Cork. Stephen Ireland is said to be considering a return to the fold for the EURO 2012 campaign after being moved to tears watching Bardsley wave his magic wand during the World Cup including 3 goals vs North Korea that BArdsley dedicated to the long suffering Irish fans. "Its amazing, I didnt know I was Irish either." Said Ireland.

He's not he is from Cork

Manc Irish Wolf
02/08/2009, 5:01 PM

Jesus, when are you yanks going to forget North Korea.;)

irishfan86
02/08/2009, 5:10 PM
I think if Phil Bardsley had any connection with his Irish roots, he wouldn't have gone on loan to Rangers. I'd be very surprised if he agreed to play for Ireland at any point in his career.

It's time to get past this crap. Brian Kerr and Maybury both represented our national team as Protestant Irishmen, and both supported Rangers in their childhood.

I don't want our national team to be "the Catholic team," and have the North be "the Protestant team."

I want one team on the Island wearing green, and I don't care what church or temple the players choose to waste their time in.

bogwarrior
02/08/2009, 6:43 PM
Brian Kerr is protestant?! Well now had I of known that....

Drumcondra 69er
02/08/2009, 6:53 PM
Brian Kerr is protestant?! Well now had I of known that....

Don't think he is, not that it makes any odds. Maybe his Dad was.

Big Jack obviously was.....

Paddy Garcia
02/08/2009, 6:58 PM
Don't think he is, not that it makes any odds. Maybe his Dad was.

Big Jack obviously was.....

Was Big Jack ? I'm sure he was a scientologist, just like Stan.

Serb
02/08/2009, 7:02 PM
It's time to get past this crap. Brian Kerr and Maybury both represented our national team as Protestant Irishmen, and both supported Rangers in their childhood.

I don't want our national team to be "the Catholic team," and have the North be "the Protestant team."

I want one team on the Island wearing green, and I don't care what church or temple the players choose to waste their time in.

I think it's crap too, but you have to accept that Irish players, for now anyway, just don't play for Rangers as they know that they'll get a hard time from (an admittedly minority) of Irish supporters. The point being that if Bardsley was aware of the issue that some Irish supporters had about the Rangers connection, and actually had any interest in playing for Ireland, then he wouldn't have gone there.

irishfan86
02/08/2009, 8:18 PM
I think it's crap too, but you have to accept that Irish players, for now anyway, just don't play for Rangers as they know that they'll get a hard time from (an admittedly minority) of Irish supporters. The point being that if Bardsley was aware of the issue that some Irish supporters had about the Rangers connection, and actually had any interest in playing for Ireland, then he wouldn't have gone there.

Alan Maybury publically admitted on multiple occasions that he wanted to be the first Republic of Ireland international to play for Rangers while he was at his peak (never really a good player though).

Don't remember him getting any stick for it really, but maybe people just didn't care enough about him for it to be an issue.

In terms of his actual ability, Bardsley is probably good enough to be in the squad and an option at fullback, but he doesn't seem interested in us, and judging by this thread we're not particularly interested in him.

Junior
02/08/2009, 8:41 PM

The only person posting about religion is you though?:confused:

irishfan86
02/08/2009, 8:46 PM
The only person posting about religion is you though?:confused:

So Serb saying that nobody wanting to play for Ireland would go to Rangers was about the colour of their kits then?

Come on.

Junior
02/08/2009, 8:51 PM
Did he say, we wouldnt want him because he was a protestant?

Nope.

It gets tiresome when the mere mention of Celtic or Rangers automatically equates to religous bigotry to some footbal fans.

come on yourself.......

irishfan86
02/08/2009, 8:54 PM
Did he say, we wouldnt want him because he was a protestant?

Nope.

It gets tiresome when the mere mention of Celtic or Rangers automatically equates to religous bigotry to some footbal fans.

come on yourself.......

Okay, finish this sentence then:

Bardsley showed that he didn't want to play for Ireland when he agreed to go to Rangers on loan, because...

christo
02/08/2009, 8:56 PM

Bardsley showed that he didn't want to play for Ireland when he agreed to go to Rangers on loan, because...

on the whole the Scottish League isn't up to standard

Junior
02/08/2009, 8:58 PM
he still hadnt discovered he had any irish roots

Closed Account
03/08/2009, 12:26 PM
he still hadnt discovered he had any irish roots

Stephen Ireland has had problems with his roots too.

Torn-Ado
03/08/2009, 3:04 PM
Stephen Ireland has had problems with his roots too.

I thought he fixed that with his transplant.

youngirish
03/08/2009, 3:21 PM
Didn't one of our best players of recent times one Joseph Lapira dream of playing for Rangers and nobody gave him any stick? In fairness though his talent transcended centuries old divides.

third policeman
03/08/2009, 3:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that Kyle Lafferty and Steven Davies are Irish, just happen to be Northern Irish. I would actually love to see one of our (RoI) players go to Rangers or an NI player of Unionist background at Celtic. It's about time this whole thing was put to bed, and it wont happen until either club stop selecting from respective Irish gene pools. I know Bertie Peacock played for Celtic but over the last 30 years all their Irish players from both North and South have been "nationalists / Catholics" whilst all Ranger's Irish players have been Northerners with unionist backgrounds. When there are so many Europeans, Africans, Japanese and Americans etc playing for both clubs it is absolutely ludicrous and indefensible.

irishfan86
03/08/2009, 6:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kyle Lafferty and Steven Davies are Irish, just happen to be Northern Irish. I would actually love to see one of our (RoI) players go to Rangers or an NI player of Unionist background at Celtic. It's about time this whole thing was put to bed, and it wont happen until either club stop selecting from respective Irish gene pools. I know Bertie Peacock played for Celtic but over the last 30 years all their Irish players from both North and South have been "nationalists / Catholics" whilst all Ranger's Irish players have been Northerners with unionist backgrounds. When there are so many Europeans, Africans, Japanese and Americans etc playing for both clubs it is absolutely ludicrous and indefensible.

It goes both ways though, who says the players want to go there?

If you are a Northern Irish Catholic, it would probably be more hassle than it was worth to play for Rangers, and vice-versa for a Unionist at Celtic.

greendeiseboy
03/08/2009, 7:00 PM
Allen McKnight played for Celtic - a Northern Ireland protestant (didnt go down to well in NI)

drinkfeckarse
04/08/2009, 7:56 AM
McShane can play...

That's the bit I had trouble with Ted..

SunderlandBohs
04/08/2009, 8:29 AM

That's true. Other that not wanting to play for Ireland what is the attraction to play for Rangers? Well, apart from been one of the biggest clubs in the world and winning move trophies than any other team in Europe. Plus the fact they play in front of 50,000 fans every second week, challeging for silverware every season and playing in europe year in year out. A great chance for a young player to prove himself and gain experience.

Anyway he'd add competition for places in joined the Ireland set-up but can't see it happening.

ifk101
04/08/2009, 9:16 AM

IMO the "selection policy" of two British clubs isn't a relevant topic of discussion for the Ireland forum. As it is Irish clubs aren't as selective when it comes to their players.

FYI Graham Gartland was strongly linked with Rangers not too long ago. If you don't know who he is, he has a profile on wikipedia that you can read up on.

EalingGreen
04/08/2009, 10:45 AM
Allen McKnight played for Celtic - a Northern Ireland protestant (didnt go down to well in NI)
I daresay there were a few meatheads who objected to McKnight joining Celtic - it is NI we're talking about, after all.
But if I recall correctly, the majority weren't actually bothered, perhaps because they didn't even notice? After all, McKnight was only with Celtic for two seasons, most of it spent on loan to Albion Rovers. In fact, as third choice behind Packie Bonner and Peter Marshall, he played just 12 times for the Bhoys...

Much more notable was his time with WHU, where "McKnightmare" entered into Upton Park legend, but sadly for all the wrong reasons:
http://www.westhamtillidie.com/2008/02/27/the-worst-ever-west-ham-player-your-nominations-please/

As for his NI record, he made 10 consecutive appearances between 1987 and 1989, proving decidedly average in what was a decidedly average team. However, he did endear himself to NI fans with his finest performance in an NI shirt, where a succession of top saves saw him keep a clean sheet in a World Cup Qualifier at Windsor Park in September 1988. Playing alongside fellow Bhoy, Anton Rogan, guess who NI's opponents were that day? ;)

P.S. Back on the subject of Bardsley, does anyone know exactly how he qualifies for ROI?

Closed Account 2
04/08/2009, 10:56 AM
That's true. Other that not wanting to play for Ireland what is the attraction to play for Rangers? Well, apart from been one of the biggest clubs in the world and winning move trophies than any other team in Europe. Plus the fact they play in front of 50,000 fans every second week, challeging for silverware every season and playing in europe year in year out. A great chance for a young player to prove himself and gain experience.

Anyway he'd add competition for places in joined the Ireland set-up but can't see it happening.

It should also be put in it's context. He played 5-6 games for them on a short term loan deal that lasted a few months. At the age of 22, while on the margins of the Man Utd squad he may well have very little choice in the matter, and just been told that he had to go there to get first team experience... For instance I doubt Beckham personally selected Preston for his loan spell there, or did O'Shea pick Bournemouth when he went on loan there in 2000 ?

^ I think it's via one of his mother's parents.

EalingGreen
04/08/2009, 11:09 AM
It should also be put in it's context. He played 5-6 games for them on a short term loan deal that lasted a few months. At the age of 22, while on the margins of the Man Utd squad he may well have very little choice in the matter, and just been told that he had to go there to get first team experience... For instance I doubt Beckham personally selected Preston for his loan spell there, or did O'Shea pick Bournemouth when he went on loan there in 2000 ?

I suspect you're right about Bardsley not having much choice, especially since Ferguson is a close pal of Walter Smith, and is renowned for helping out his friends over matters like these.

^ I think it's via one of his mother's parents.How many mothers does he have? ;)

Predator
04/08/2009, 12:00 PM
I haven't seen Bardsley play, so I don't know of his calibre, but I think a young Irish player who has progressed through the youth ranks should be given a chance to prove himself ahead of him. While I'm happy that talented players from other countries are able to play for Ireland, I believe that it's only right that young Irishmen should be given preference.

youngirish
04/08/2009, 1:52 PM
Much more notable was his time with WHU, where "McKnightmare" entered into Upton Park legend, but sadly for all the wrong reasons:
http://www.westhamtillidie.com/2008/02/27/the-worst-ever-west-ham-player-your-nominations-please/

Nice to see 2 Irishmen making the majority of those lineups. Gary Breen of Barcelona, Inter Milan fame is a regular at the centre of defence.

eirebhoy
04/08/2009, 3:54 PM
His best mate, Alex Bruce, used the granny rule to get into the Ireland squad. Met the 2 of them in Vegas. Never thought of asking Bardsley about his Irish links.

as_i_say
05/08/2009, 8:42 AM
Kevin Nolan II.

Den Perry
05/08/2009, 9:41 AM

You are over simplifying matters. It's not just about religion. Historically, Rangers the club and the vast majority of their fans would have had nothing but contempt for everthing Irish.If the roots of this bigotry are steeped in religion, so be it. However for you to get on your high horse about it proves you are living in LA La land

For the record, I am not a Celtic supporter

SunderlandBohs
05/08/2009, 11:36 AM
His best mate, Alex Bruce, used the granny rule to get into the Ireland squad. Met the 2 of them in Vegas. Never thought of asking Bardsley about his Irish links.

Good man Bardo. Best mates with the managers son!! Just thinking about Alex Bruce. How bad do you have to be for your own father to sell ya?!

P.S. Le Guen was Rangers manager when Bardsley was up there.

dr_peepee
05/08/2009, 12:15 PM
How bad do you have to be for your own father to sell ya?.

Ha!!... Yeah. It has the makings of a Greek Tragedy.