PDA

View Full Version : Longford Town v. UCD 01/08/2009

HarpoJoyce
31/07/2009, 4:06 PM
Away to Longford Town on Saturday, in the middle of the league season and
UCD need to continue with the results they are having recently.

By Saturday, every club will have played every other club as the Shels v. Finn Harps game should have being played. Finally a measured consideration may be made on the outcome of the FAI League of Ireland First Division.

DmanDmythDledge
31/07/2009, 4:25 PM
It will be a tight game but I expect us to pick up the victory.

pineapple stu
31/07/2009, 4:27 PM
Random fact - we've scored the same amount of goals as each other. Longford have improved in recent weeks, though they're still not great, as last week's result showed.

I'll agree with dman for once. :)

Schumi
31/07/2009, 4:39 PM
I could see this ending 0-0 (someone has to be the negative one :)). We're not scoring enough goals, only 1 against Mervue! If Kilduff is back, that may make a difference but 1-0 is probably about as much as we can look for.

pineapple stu
31/07/2009, 4:42 PM
Derek Glynn's playing for Longford; that's one for them anyway.

Also, answer your effing texts!

DmanDmythDledge
31/07/2009, 5:03 PM
If Kilduff is back, that may make a difference but 1-0 is probably about as much as we can look for.
He won't make much of a difference unless our midfield get back to creating chances as out of our four strikers (incl Mulhall) he is the worst finisher of the lot.

John83
31/07/2009, 6:12 PM
(In case I didn't reply to PS's text earlier, I'm probably going to miss this one.)

I'd expect a 0-0 or 1-0. As Schumi says, we're not really scoring much. On the other hand, we're not conceding much either, and we have been picking up the 1-0s reasonably consistently - Mervue, Wexford, Kildare. I doubt Longford are any better than Wexford.

Martinho II
31/07/2009, 7:25 PM
:Dwe were very disappointin against fingal last week but if tom king and Mick Foley come back for tomorrow night I would fancy us for a draw... look forward to ye coming over to our throne!!

colmanthesaint
01/08/2009, 8:29 PM
3-0 win, good stuff plus goal difference is only 1 less than $helbourne now.

A question when people get back to answer:

Any injuries/early substitutions possibly made with Tuesday in mind?

De Town
01/08/2009, 9:34 PM
Your front 2 were both taken off with about 25 and 20 mins to go. We were absolutely awful. UCD were probably the best team I've seen this season though, played some lovely football, even better then Fingal last week. Numbers 5, 6, 7, Finn, and 9 particularly stood out, absolutely píssed all over us. It really wouldn't have taken much to beat us tonight though.

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2009, 10:35 PM
Your front 2 were both taken off with about 25 and 20 mins to go. We were absolutely awful. UCD were probably the best team I've seen this season though, played some lovely football, even better then Fingal last week. Numbers 5, 6, 7, Finn, and 9 particularly stood out, absolutely píssed all over us. It really wouldn't have taken much to beat us tonight though.
Sounds like we are back on form then. Good stuff.:cool:

pineapple stu
01/08/2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, was a handy enough win alright. Could have had a couple more; Ward had a goal ruled out for offside and we missed two or three one-on-ones. Billy gave a few heart attacks as per usual, but also took a couple of very good catches.

We're playing Athlone next week, who just lost 5-2 to Longford. :eek:

HarpoJoyce
02/08/2009, 12:53 PM

That's for that. No. 5 Evan McMillan, 6 Greg Bolger, 7 Keith Ward, 9 Chris Mulhall. I was talking to a few Longford fans during and after the game and they are happy with the style of play Gareth Cronin has introduced to the team and the overall improvement of results. I think Longford's football helped UCD as we have a stereo-type thinking at Belfield, that UCD play well against the better sides because the good teams play football.

Dave McMillan and Mulhall were taken off early in the second alright, but even 'Rusty' has made substitutions earlier than that, during half-time in previous games. Ward and Reilly ran their socks off, Reilly was taken off around the 75mins mark.

I'm watching the goal-difference too. Best result of the weekend and the second week in a row we have improved on the leading team. We'll need a good few more weeks like that.

De Town
02/08/2009, 2:57 PM
That's for that. No. 5 Evan McMillan, 6 Greg Bolger, 7 Keith Ward, 9 Chris Mulhall.
Thanks, all cracking players, along with Finn.

I was talking to a few Longford fans during and after the game and they are happy with the style of play Gareth Cronin has introduced to the team and the overall improvement of results. I think Longford's football helped UCD as we have a stereo-type thinking at Belfield, that UCD play well against the better sides because the good teams play football.
Yeah, he has us playing way better than Gough ever had us playing, but our defence is all over the shop, all the goals last night were so easily avoidable. Our 2 central midfielders are also very weak, got absolutely destroyed last night.

Schumi
05/08/2009, 2:48 PM
Match report from the Longford Leader here (http://www.longfordleader.ie/sport/Longford-Town-punished-for-silly.5519260.jp).

De Town
05/08/2009, 4:06 PM
Who was the UCD fan sitting beside Section O? Is he on here? Just wondering like..

pineapple stu
05/08/2009, 4:27 PM
Twas Harpo.