PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Versus Kerry

Jacktheman
28/07/2009, 10:28 PM
This is a classic waiting to happen ... pack house 80,000 plus. i think Dublin by 2

SuperDub
31/07/2009, 10:52 PM
Theres only going to be one winner and thats kerry by 5 sadly.:(

Superhoops
01/08/2009, 12:19 AM
Bookies have this much closer than I expected. 10/11 Dubs and 6/5 Kerry.

Why are Kerry so short? what have they done this year. Beaten by Cork after a fortunate first game draw, then struggled through 2 close quafifying games.

Can only assume that Dubs are seen as perennial chokers, but on this years form 10/11 for an win is decent odds.

If you look at the 'spread' betting, Dublin:
by 1-3 points @ 3/1
by 4-6 points @ 5/1
by 7-9 points @ 9/1
gives a minimum of evens for any Dublin win of 9 points or less. I think that is outstanding value alone, but I have lumped on at 5/1 for between 4 and 6 points.

shakermaker1982
02/08/2009, 12:09 PM
It's always dangerous to write Kerry off but I'd have to agree with bookies. The Dublin forwards not taking their chances in front of the posts (again) is the only thing that can stop them IMO.

rambler14
03/08/2009, 1:36 PM
Yer man Kevin McStay(the co-commentator on RTE) is probably the most biased person i've ever heard commentate on a GAA match ever.
It's bad enough the papers build the Dubs up every year but this guy McStay is terrible. When they were talking about the team line-ups every Dublin player was brilliant and every Kerry player was useless and unable to play at Inter-county level anymore, by the time they got to talking about the Kerry full-forward line I was bursting my hole laughing.

Kerry are currently cutting Dublin apart yet McStay still maintains that BOTH teams are well up for the game.........i'm sorry but it appears to me that Kerry are the only team up for this game Kevin!

He even managed to distance Diarmuid Murphy's brilliant save from Brogan when he dived and touched the ball on to the crossbar. He described it as:
"a good save but what a brilliant strike from Brogan, he connected with wonderfully well, a great shot from a great player"

Kerry will rip Dublin to shreads and win by about 10 points.

strangeirish
03/08/2009, 1:53 PM
http://www.justin.tv/sportssetanta

shakermaker1982
03/08/2009, 2:19 PM
how brutal is it? At least I'll get a ticket for the semi if Mayo beat Meath.

jinxy lilywhite
03/08/2009, 2:22 PM
always great to see RTÈ build up dublin and for them to fall against a proper side. Effin brilliant

getting my joke in early "What do you say to a Dub in croke park in September? can i've a burger and chips please

old git
03/08/2009, 2:56 PM
Yer man Kevin McStay(the co-commentator on RTE) is probably the most biased person i've ever heard commentate on a GAA match ever.
It's bad enough the papers build the Dubs up every year but this guy McStay is terrible. When they were talking about the team line-ups every Dublin player was brilliant and every Kerry player was useless and unable to play at Inter-county level anymore, by the time they got to talking about the Kerry full-forward line I was bursting my hole laughing.

Kerry are currently cutting Dublin apart yet McStay still maintains that BOTH teams are well up for the game.........i'm sorry but it appears to me that Kerry are the only team up for this game Kevin!

He even managed to distance Diarmuid Murphy's brilliant save from Brogan when he dived and touched the ball on to the crossbar. He described it as:
"a good save but what a brilliant strike from Brogan, he connected with wonderfully well, a great shot from a great player"

Kerry will rip Dublin to shreads and win by about 10 points.

spot on commentator mc stay brutaly biased ... kerry destroyed them and was brilliant to watch should have won by 20 points
27 years of dublin failure continues :D

Angus
03/08/2009, 4:53 PM
My first game was Jimmy Keaveny's last in 1979 and I have never seen a performance like that

Kerry were awesome but were let play by Dublin, who looked as if they had lead in their boots.

One keystone cops moment was when Gooch fisted a point at the canal end and got creamed. He was laid out and play went on, so nobody watched him

The ball comes back in, Gooch is in 25 yards of space, gets it, hands it off, another point

I saw Kerry win in 1979 and for the 4 in a row in 1981 but despiter being a dub, it was a pleasure to see galvin, gooch, declan o'sullivan et al today

paul_oshea
03/08/2009, 6:23 PM
lads is that match recorded on justin.tv or anywhere i really want to see this game now.

rebus2008
03/08/2009, 6:29 PM
paul, will be on sunday game about 9.30 if any help.

As a dub, very hard to take but some days, teams just don't turn up.

All said, pleaseure to watch kerry in 1st half. Sporting brilliance for first half. Not enjoyable as a dub fan but in hindsight, enjoyable as an occasion to saviour a great team in action

shakermaker1982
03/08/2009, 7:32 PM
one swallow doesn't make a summer? Or are Kerry back for good? I didn't see the game (damn you Setanta) but by the sounds of things Dublin were pathetic after going behind early.

paul_oshea
03/08/2009, 7:48 PM
im in england so cant watch sunday game.

kerry will not produce another performance of that stature again this year.

Superhoops
03/08/2009, 8:12 PM
Bookies have this much closer than I expected. 10/11 Dubs and 6/5 Kerry.

Why are Kerry so short? what have they done this year. Beaten by Cork after a fortunate first game draw, then struggled through 2 close quafifying games.

Can only assume that Dubs are seen as perennial chokers, but on this years form 10/11 for an win is decent odds.

If you look at the 'spread' betting, Dublin:
by 1-3 points @ 3/1
by 4-6 points @ 5/1
by 7-9 points @ 9/1
gives a minimum of evens for any Dublin win of 9 points or less. I think that is outstanding value alone, but I have lumped on at 5/1 for between 4 and 6 points.

Have just got over the shock.

In fairness, the first half is probably the greatest display of power football seen in all my time watching games. Forget about 'Dublin did not turn up', they were not allowed to turn up, A complete 1 to 15 display with contributions from the subs.

3 killer passes from Paul Galvin in the first 5 minutes were lethal from Dublin's point of view.

You could have picked several players for MOTM, but Mike McCarthy was awesome, especially considering he has not been trainng in the squad.

McEnenaney had a easy game to ref, but he should have forgotten that Dublin were demoralised and the game was gone by giving Bastic the second yellow card and Ciaran Whelan the straight red they deserved.

Razors left peg
03/08/2009, 10:15 PM
im in england so cant watch sunday game.

kerry will not produce another performance of that stature again this year.

Pretty sure its availible on the RTE website world wide, I was able to watch it in Sweden earlier in the summer

bennocelt
04/08/2009, 8:46 AM

In fairness, the first half is probably the greatest display of power football seen in all my time watching games. Forget about 'Dublin did not turn up', they were not allowed to turn up, A complete 1 to 15 display with contributions from the subs.

McEnenaney had a easy game to ref, but he should have forgotten that Dublin were demoralised and the game was gone by giving Bastic the second yellow card and Ciaran Whelan the straight red they deserved.

Yeah Kerry looked awesome, but are you really telling me that a Tyrone team would give Kerry so much space. Dublin never did the the tackling all day, the Kerry forwards had such an easy time of it that many scores were tapped over without much of an effort
This beating will take Dublin a long time to recover - anyone for Kildare next year in the Leinster!!!:)

Roadend
04/08/2009, 2:04 PM
one swallow doesn't make a summer? Or are Kerry back for good? I didn't see the game (damn you Setanta) but by the sounds of things Dublin were pathetic after going behind early.

Just for future reference, if you have sky I noticed that they showed the game on a channel called info tv 2, its up around 170-180 or somewhere on the epg

DeLorean
04/08/2009, 3:46 PM

spot on commentator mc stay brutaly biased ... kerry destroyed them and was brilliant to watch should have won by 20 points

McStay is from Mayo so I don't know why he would be "biased" towards the Dubs. For the record he predicted a Kerry win on the Sunday game the night before with Anthony Davis almost completely writing them off.

paul_oshea
04/08/2009, 4:31 PM
Just for future reference, if you have sky I noticed that they showed the game on a channel called info tv 2, its up around 170-180 or somewhere on the epg

The gaa have reached an agreement with setanta to show the games on 167 i think, but it will be changing to a different channel later.

old git
04/08/2009, 10:23 PM

3 killer passes from Paul Galvin in the first 5 minutes were lethal from Dublin's point of view.

You could have picked several players for MOTM, but Mike McCarthy was awesome, especially considering he has not been trainng in the squad.

referee / umpires bottled it bastic should have went after taking out cooper so late after he fisted ball over bar... and then again for a late challange from behind late in game for whelans elbow think ref might have been on blind side to see it .. can the gaa still not punish these players after game with video evidence :ball:

shakermaker1982
05/08/2009, 7:13 AM
Whelan is a lout. I'll never forget his assualt on Ronan in the Mayo/Dublin Semi Final in 2006.

DeLorean
05/08/2009, 9:13 AM
Whelan is a lout

And in addition probably the most overrated player I have ever seen. A decent athlete without an ounce of football.

paul_oshea
05/08/2009, 10:50 AM
referee / umpires bottled it bastic should have went after taking out cooper so late after he fisted ball over bar... and then again for a late challange from behind late in game for whelans elbow think ref might have been on blind side to see it .. can the gaa still not punish these players after game with video evidence :ball:

No, and yes. If a players incident has not been noted then there is nothing the CCCC can do. However if its a televised game, they can do something in hindsight in they deem necessary, but the general rule of thumb is unless its written down in the referees report then nothing can be done.

eamo1
05/08/2009, 11:40 AM
The game was shown again on Setanta Ireland last night.Knowing them i'd say they will show it again some other night of the week so keep an eye out for it.
Always great to see "the mighty Dubs" crash and burn.Thats 14 years without an All-Ireland.Another Kerry-Tyrone final me thinks.

Docboy
05/08/2009, 11:57 AM
And in addition probably the most overrated player I have ever seen. A decent athlete without an ounce of football.

Have to disagree with you there, Whelan has been one of the finest exponents of the high catch in gaelic football over the last decade and has consistently scored points from the middle of the park. Unfortunately he's had to play with many substandard players down through the years. If, as expected, that was his last game for the Dubs it's a sad end for him.

Kerry were magnificent on Sunday, however, Dublin weren't even within 5 yards on them for the tackles. Would love to see a repeat of last years final to give the cute Kerry hoors a shot at redemption.

old git
05/08/2009, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=Docboy;1205967]Have to disagree with you there, Whelan has been one of the finest exponents of the high catch in gaelic football over the last decade and has consistently scored points from the middle of the park. Unfortunately he's had to play with many substandard players down through the years. If, as expected, that was his last game for the Dubs it's a sad end for him.

>>> you forgot to mention the very nasty side of whelan ... every match i saw him play he was always involved in some incident on or off the ball not the first time he has clattered another player with a stray elbow/ arm .. :mad:

old git
05/08/2009, 12:15 PM
No, and yes. If a players incident has not been noted then there is nothing the CCCC can do. However if its a televised game, they can do something in hindsight in they deem necessary, but the general rule of thumb is unless its written down in the referees report then nothing can be done.

just reading paper this morning bastic could be in trouble with gaa after all rte have released pictures of him apperaring to stamp on kieran donaghy injured foot as donaghy was leaving pitch after bringing on water .. if true he deserves to get punished big time ... serious nasty piece of work if he tried to cause more damage to donaghy injury :mad: