PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have the latest news on the injuries of Ryan and Peers?

Pages : [1] 2

Rovers Maniac
28/07/2009, 4:58 PM
Just seems to be so many conflicting stories about the length of time both are out for.

Rovers1
28/07/2009, 5:07 PM
AFAIK Peers is meant to be back for Galway RM

kkontour
28/07/2009, 9:03 PM

I heard the same

srfc1928
28/07/2009, 10:11 PM
That would be great if he was,
but he was supposed to be back for the pats game, shams game etc.
might be some news in the champion tomorrow
Hopefully Ritchie is ok and will make it back at some stage this season

prodsc
28/07/2009, 11:00 PM
Heard RR is out for rest of season but I think its been on here already.

Need Gavin back ASAP

whiteagle
29/07/2009, 2:05 PM
I heard ritchie may not play again , his current problem has been at him for the last 3 months ? 2 hip injuries at Sunderland and a third required now ? absolute top player one of the best talents to ever grace the Showgrounds , id say if he hant had such bad luck with injuries he mad of made it in the premiership

Redie
29/07/2009, 3:15 PM
I heard ritchie may not play again , his current problem has been at him for the last 3 months ? 2 hip injuries at Sunderland and a third required now ? absolute top player one of the best talents to ever grace the Showgrounds , id say if he hant had such bad luck with injuries he mad of made it in the premiership

Certainly Ryan has a lot of talent but I don't think he would make a list of the top 50 talents to ever grace the showgrounds.

Certainly hope his football career isn't finished!.

dong
29/07/2009, 3:23 PM

I presume you've been going to the showgrounds a long long time to come out with a statement like that whiteagle?

rovers100%
29/07/2009, 3:24 PM
its unfair to judge how he would have made it as a player as we have only seen him after he had successive injuries over the pond. feel sorry on him really seems nice lad but def not even in top 50 to grace the showgies. last season looked good but this year he has looked very restricted

MMVIII
29/07/2009, 3:56 PM
Has everyone forgotten about last season? Richie played some brilliant stuff last season and everybody was singing his praises. He's been carrying an inury all season, hence the poor form, so don't judge him by what he's done last season because he's not half the player he was last season.

rovers100%
29/07/2009, 4:00 PM
in fairness thats what i said in post above ya, was good last year and looked restricted this year. its still a pity to see a player get dogged down be persistent injuries. wish him all the best in recovery

MMVIII
29/07/2009, 4:01 PM
in fairness thats what i said in post above ya, was good last year and looked restricted this year. its still a pity to see a player get dogged down be persistent injuries. wish him all the best in recovery

Apologies never seen that post. Fully agree with what your saying though.

rovers100%
29/07/2009, 4:07 PM
ya never know if he gets anothr sucessful operation he may rekindle some of last years form and then it will be like signing a new player. your right tho last year we sang his praises and he was one of the reasons we finished forth

gustavo
29/07/2009, 9:38 PM
Peersie could feature at the weekend
http://www.sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=797:peers-may-return-for-connacht-derby-&catid=13:news&Itemid=246

roverandout
30/07/2009, 10:39 AM
I think that Gavin Peers has been a big miss for us, but Ritchie Ryan is a luxury player. He can pass the ball for fun, but in the modern game you also need mobility, which he lacks. Truthfully can anyone remember too many games where we dominated at midfield this season? I actually thought that we looked better and more competitive with Michael McGrath in the team against St Pats.

Shedzer
30/07/2009, 2:14 PM
I think that Gavin Peers has been a big miss for us, but Ritchie Ryan is a luxury player. He can pass the ball for fun, but in the modern game you also need mobility, which he lacks. Truthfully can anyone remember too many games where we dominated at midfield this season? I actually thought that we looked better and more competitive with Michael McGrath in the team against St Pats.

Have to say i agree with you 100%.. It's all well and good being a lovely footballer but any footballer should be able 2 pass a ball 10 yards either side to his full backs.. Richie lacks drive and has no presence in the middle of the park.. I agree with you about McGrath I think he added stability,handled himself well and is well able for the physical side of things...

whiteagle
30/07/2009, 9:45 PM
I presume you've been going to the showgrounds a long long time to come out with a statement like that whiteagle?

Would you not agree Ryans touch and passing ability is one of d best uv seen up there .. he has been dogged with injuries but u can still see his qualities ..

sligofan4ever
30/07/2009, 9:53 PM
Would you not agree Ryans touch and passing ability is one of d best uv seen up there .. he has been dogged with injuries but u can still see his qualities ..

True, he showed he had talent in his first season and injuries have plagued him this season, but all that aside he still isnt one of the best players to grace the Showgrounds like you seem to suggest.

whiteagle
30/07/2009, 11:48 PM

Ritchie Ryan is one of the best talents for sure do u not agree his passing & touch is a joy to watch, not many former or current sligo players can say they have played in the premiership & everyone is entitled to there opinion ..i havent suggested he is the best or in the top 50 which some have suggested , he has been altered with injury which hasnt helped him and playing injured the past 3 months isnt too good... hopefully hell be back playing asap ..

Guts&Glory
31/07/2009, 12:42 AM
Ritchie Ryan is one of the best talents for sure do u not agree his passing & touch is a joy to watch, not many former or current sligo players can say they have played in the premiership & everyone is entitled to there opinion ..i havent suggested he is the best or in the top 50 which some have suggested , he has been altered with injury which hasnt helped him and playing injured the past 3 months isnt too good... hopefully hell be back playing asap ..

Richie (no T) played twice for Sunderland between 2001 - 2005 hardly a premier league regular.

His tendency to pass sideways and back rather than a decisive throughball and seemingly fear of shooting despite him having a decnet shot on him doesnt have him anywhere near one of the best midfielders ever to grace the Showgies.

He isn't even the best midfielder at the club right now.

Rovers fan
31/07/2009, 2:38 AM

Ritchie, keep you're mind on the game. The only game he has played very well (as in he was MOTM) in this season was galway away. Too many games have passed him by but I still feel he has a lot to offer

showgies
31/07/2009, 10:03 AM
whiteagle, it seems Ryan is a Marmite type player, you either appreciate him or you don't. I am in your camp, I think he is a great talented footballer. Unfortunately there is a train of thought in the Showgrounds that getting rid of the ball (lumping) in the direction of the strikers is a good pass and progressive......it has been there for years.

Red4Eva
31/07/2009, 10:44 AM
whiteagle, it seems Ryan is a Marmite type player, you either appreciate him or you don't. I am in your camp, I think he is a great talented footballer. Unfortunately there is a train of thought in the Showgrounds that getting rid of the ball (lumping) in the direction of the strikers is a good pass and progressive......it has been there for years.

i'm in this camp as well. i'm baffled when i hear people criticising richie sometimes. i can only remember 2 times when i've left a game and thought he was 1 of our worse players

brianw82
31/07/2009, 11:13 AM
I think Richie has all the talent to be one of the league's top central midfielders. He just needs to add more forward drive, and a little more fearlessness to his game. If he does that, I honestly think he could be as good as Keith Fahey was.

Da Real Rover
31/07/2009, 12:14 PM
I wouldnt even put him in the starting 11, injuries or no injuries.
Hes a decent passer of the ball when its going to his side or backwards.
But has little to no physical presence and zero incision.
Doesnt add much tbh.

bigredtruck
31/07/2009, 10:48 PM
thats great lads lets all give the lad a kick while he's down. It's no wonder players dont want to come here when fans cheer you off the pitch one week and give you stick when you have a bad game. Would you rather have harpal singh back?

CF1989
31/07/2009, 11:59 PM
richie ryan is quality, look back at last season when he came in august, top class he was, one of the main reasons we got to europe.

rovers100%
01/08/2009, 11:02 AM
i hate the way people here say that coments we pst stop players from coming to our club, grow up thats bull. our position in the rainy north west does that. plus they say bout players reading the forum !!! in england or if they were premiership players which i presume they would all strive to be when started out in the game, all their performance would be disected and printed on every paper in the land so a few feircly passionate supporters coming on here giving their opinions (whether right or wrong) should not affect them. a few on here want to close their eyes and never say a bad word bout any player. come on live in the real world lads

dong
01/08/2009, 2:23 PM
i hate the way people here say that coments we pst stop players from coming to our club, grow up thats bull. our position in the rainy north west does that. plus they say bout players reading the forum !!! in england or if they were premiership players which i presume they would all strive to be when started out in the game, all their performance would be disected and printed on every paper in the land so a few feircly passionate supporters coming on here giving their opinions (whether right or wrong) should not affect them. a few on here want to close their eyes and never say a bad word bout any player. come on live in the real world lads

Well said. It's a forum for opinions. No doubt you'll be branded a hypocrite if you criticise fans who verbally abuse players constantly as opposed to giving an opinion on here.
It's always been the case that players don't want to move to Sligo. Eoin Doyle is a rare exception.

Rovers Maniac
01/08/2009, 3:37 PM
Well said. It's a forum for opinions. No doubt you'll be branded a hypocrite if you criticise fans who verbally abuse players constantly as opposed to giving an opinion on here.
It's always been the case that players don't want to move to Sligo. Eoin Doyle is a rare exception.

Maybe Dubs but that can be said of them moving to any club outside Dublin, Peers is an exception for us in his 4th year at the club, Cash wanted to move too, Brush has came and stayed. You would be surprised at some of the players who contacted the club recently with a view to possible move from what i heard. Plenty of players have come to Sligo from the UK and have put down roots and stayed, never sell yourself short.

CF1989
01/08/2009, 10:41 PM
faz
brush
ventre
butler
almeida
blinkhorn
cash
ryan
peers
mckenzie
kendrick
doyle
boco
morrison
turner

and many more, but no, no-one wants to come to sligo!?

red arrow
02/08/2009, 1:56 PM
i hate to say this but something is not right with gavin peers situation. i spoke to paul cook on friday morning (31st july) and he told me that gavin had come through the last training session unscathed (i.e. he was fit and ready to play but was not starting against galway) and now i see he is out for the bohs game. i think he is a huge loss and have said it all along, not alone is he a great defender but can read a game very well.to me something is not right. i am very dissapointed to hear that he will not be available again. why was i told that he had regained full fitness. i wish the team all the best but its going to be a real up hill battle and i know i said 1 nil to rovers (that was with peers in mind) i wont be negative and still go for a rovers win. all the best to those who are heading for the game.

Rovers Maniac
02/08/2009, 2:13 PM
i hate to say this but something is not right with gavin peers situation. i spoke to paul cook on friday morning (31st july) and he told me that gavin had come through the last training session unscathed (i.e. he was fit and ready to play but was not starting against galway) and now i see he is out for the bohs game. i think he is a huge loss and have said it all along, not alone is he a great defender but can read a game very well.to me something is not right. i am very dissapointed to hear that he will not be available again. why was i told that he had regained full fitness. i wish the team all the best but its going to be a real up hill battle and i know i said 1 nil to rovers (that was with peers in mind) i wont be negative and still go for a rovers win. all the best to those who are heading for the game.

7 players missing again is insane luck, but correct me if i am wrong but Peers is not ruled out for certain? He is a doubt?:confused:. I have lost count on how many games we have had 6 7 and even up on 10 or a 11 players out this year.

rovers100%
02/08/2009, 4:58 PM
faz
brush
ventre
butler
almeida
blinkhorn
cash
ryan
peers
mckenzie
kendrick
doyle
boco
morrison
turner

and many more, but no, no-one wants to come to sligo!?

only 5 of the above are actually irish !!!!!! its easy to get foreign lads to come as they look to kick start their career. your talking sh1t as we have always struggled to get the best players IN the league to come down to us. mckenzie isnt even in the country anymore so why he is in your list is beyond me, clutching at straws maybe. face it we are mid table team at best geographically positioned in the rainy north west of ireland. we will always struggle to bring in top names

srfc1928
02/08/2009, 7:01 PM
i hate to say this but something is not right with gavin peers situation. i spoke to paul cook on friday morning (31st july) and he told me that gavin had come through the last training session unscathed (i.e. he was fit and ready to play but was not starting against galway) and now i see he is out for the bohs game. i think he is a huge loss
Very disapointing to see that Peers is still out, a huge loss.
strange situation at this stage.
Anyways, hopefully its sooner rather than later when Gavin is back

CF1989
03/08/2009, 12:49 AM
team something like this maybe?

brush

keane camano ventre kendrick

cash ogrady boco morrison

raff, blinks

Knappagh Red
03/08/2009, 4:42 AM
Ryan was training yesterday

dong
03/08/2009, 11:37 AM
i hate to say this but something is not right with gavin peers situation. i spoke to paul cook on friday morning (31st july) and he told me that gavin had come through the last training session unscathed (i.e. he was fit and ready to play but was not starting against galway) and now i see he is out for the bohs game.

Did he actually say that he'd be in against Galway? Just because he came through a training session wouldn't make him ready for a match.
Have to say I agree with you that there's something fishy though.

Shedzer
03/08/2009, 10:54 PM
Whats this about Ryan being 'quality'

Are ye serious? Do ye watch football?

He takes absolutely no responsibility on himself to get a control of the game, grab it by the scruff of the neck and control it. Has no presence, doesnt command games and is one paced in most areas.

I know exactly what has those people that stand up for him doing so, its because he is tidy and in general doesnt lose the ball.
BUT, no break things down...does Ryan pick up a ball in the middle, feed it through nicely and then follow the play to start up an attack??? NO...thats what good centre midfield playmakers do. We already have O'Grady for the donkey work, so Ryan is supposidly the man who will 'pull the strings' and build attacks.

Has he ever done that? Has anyone ever honestly seen him beat even 1 player and run forward with the ball, or are ye all still amazed at how good a player he is due to his constant 10 yard 'pass the responsibility' passes to either full back, before getting the ball again, with room infront of him and passing the ball to the other full back...

Basically, heres an exapmle at the top level. Xavi, Barcelona, best midfielder in the world because he has a role to build attacks. You watch a game with him in it, everything goes through him at some point of the attack.
Now, take Michael Carrick, still at the very top level, but the difference is, Carrick is the exact version of Ryan, except at a higher level. Gets the ball, lays it of nice, doesnt do anything great with it, takes now responsibility and in general doesnt make himself look bad, but contributes not near enough in terms of decent quality.

Obviously at our level, players arent expected to do everything. But already i have seen enough of McGrath to know he is as good now and will be a better player than Ryan.
Why??? Simple, he isnt afraid of responsibility and trying to influence the game. Against Galway he was cute on the ball, made space, passed forward, followed his pass and tried to build things from there.
I have yet to see Ryan do these things, games pass him by, he gets on it, lays it off 10 yards, rarely does anything out of the ordinary bar this. Its all good and well when you are 2-0 up and cruising, but when you need a goal and are all over the team (see Vllaznia) what good is it?

Good examples of central midfielders for us in recent times that are a level above Ryan are Turner and Anto Murphy (when player in that CM role)

To make matters worse, Ryan has got slower and on top of his ability being average has suffered a dip in form. He doesnt look after himself either*
*(read into that whatever you want to)

I would be more than happy to see McGrath play against Dundalk, regardless of Ryans injury status. That way we have a chance of creating something going forward..

Shedzer
03/08/2009, 10:57 PM
richie ryan is quality, look back at last season when he came in august, top class he was, one of the main reasons we got to europe.

Ya? Nothing to do with points deductions no?

He was 'that good' in the middle that he ended up playing left back?

Ah right....i see

Shedzer
03/08/2009, 11:01 PM
I think Richie has all the talent to be one of the league's top central midfielders.
I used to think Santa was real, but copped myself on a bit then.

If he does that, I honestly think he could be as good as Keith Fahey was.
Good man Brian, there goes your credibility in one post..

CF1989
04/08/2009, 1:39 AM
Ya? Nothing to do with points deductions no?

He was 'that good' in the middle that he ended up playing left back?

Ah right....i see

yeah and nothing to do with the fact we had nobody else to play there, no.....

Rovers Maniac
04/08/2009, 1:51 AM
Peers should be back in the next 3 weeks to 1 month, whatever he has just will not mend. We will need him for the run in so hopefully he just takes a total rest.

dong
04/08/2009, 9:07 AM
Peers should be back in the next 3 weeks to 1 month, whatever he has just will not mend. We will need him for the run in so hopefully he just takes a total rest.
Are you serious RM? Another month shipping goals like we've been and we'll be relegated.
I was trying to find out three weeks ago (after initially he was only supposed to be out for a game or two) and I was told he'd be back soon. Now it's another month. Does anybody even know whats up with him?

red bellied
04/08/2009, 9:23 AM
Camano suspended now for Saturday night. Is there a worse pairing in the league than Ventre and Keane?

Rovers1
04/08/2009, 12:10 PM
. Is there a worse pairing in the league than Ventre and Keane?

Noctor and Ventre??:confused:

CF1989
04/08/2009, 2:15 PM
noctor injured long term now also.....wish him all the best

Da Real Rover
04/08/2009, 3:07 PM
Whats this about Ryan being 'quality'

Are ye serious? Do ye watch football?

He takes absolutely no responsibility on himself to get a control of the game, grab it by the scruff of the neck and control it. Has no presence, doesnt command games and is one paced in most areas.

I know exactly what has those people that stand up for him doing so, its because he is tidy and in general doesnt lose the ball.
BUT, no break things down...does Ryan pick up a ball in the middle, feed it through nicely and then follow the play to start up an attack??? NO...thats what good centre midfield playmakers do. We already have O'Grady for the donkey work, so Ryan is supposidly the man who will 'pull the strings' and build attacks.

Has he ever done that? Has anyone ever honestly seen him beat even 1 player and run forward with the ball, or are ye all still amazed at how good a player he is due to his constant 10 yard 'pass the responsibility' passes to either full back, before getting the ball again, with room infront of him and passing the ball to the other full back...

Basically, heres an exapmle at the top level. Xavi, Barcelona, best midfielder in the world because he has a role to build attacks. You watch a game with him in it, everything goes through him at some point of the attack.
Now, take Michael Carrick, still at the very top level, but the difference is, Carrick is the exact version of Ryan, except at a higher level. Gets the ball, lays it of nice, doesnt do anything great with it, takes now responsibility and in general doesnt make himself look bad, but contributes not near enough in terms of decent quality.

Obviously at our level, players arent expected to do everything. But already i have seen enough of McGrath to know he is as good now and will be a better player than Ryan.
Why??? Simple, he isnt afraid of responsibility and trying to influence the game. Against Galway he was cute on the ball, made space, passed forward, followed his pass and tried to build things from there.
I have yet to see Ryan do these things, games pass him by, he gets on it, lays it off 10 yards, rarely does anything out of the ordinary bar this. Its all good and well when you are 2-0 up and cruising, but when you need a goal and are all over the team (see Vllaznia) what good is it?

Good examples of central midfielders for us in recent times that are a level above Ryan are Turner and Anto Murphy (when player in that CM role)

To make matters worse, Ryan has got slower and on top of his ability being average has suffered a dip in form. He doesnt look after himself either*
*(read into that whatever you want to)

I would be more than happy to see McGrath play against Dundalk, regardless of Ryans injury status. That way we have a chance of creating something going forward..
Spot on.
How people fail to realise this is beyond me.

Da Real Rover
04/08/2009, 3:09 PM
I heard that Peers was beng treated for the wrong injury the whole time?

avvenalaf
04/08/2009, 3:18 PM
I heard that Peers was beng treated for the wrong injury the whole time?

What????? You mean he's not pregnant at all?