PDA

View Full Version : Longford Town v Atletico Madrid XI

Pauro 76
28/07/2009, 2:13 PM
http://ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=472294ae-a3ec-4de0-8f69-c40c0b5535e2

This came out of nowhere! But im guessing it's their reserves as Atletico are playing Arsenal in a tournament in London this Saturday..

Tallanted
28/07/2009, 2:42 PM
Barstool alert!!!

De Town
28/07/2009, 2:44 PM
Barstool alert!!!

The more the merrier, get as much money in as possible!

Longfordian
28/07/2009, 2:54 PM
It's an interesting game, hopefully we'll get a good crowd out for it we really could use the money and it'll be a lift for the players.

Ronnie
28/07/2009, 3:44 PM
This is a nice one. Not much time to publicise it, but hopefully we'll get a crowd.

Longfordian
28/07/2009, 3:50 PM
Yeah hopefully Shannonside etc will be publicising it, get posters up around the place as well. Should make the Leader this week as well. It all helps.

RonnieB
28/07/2009, 4:52 PM
Be great to get a good crowd in and get much needed revenue. I assume it will be around the 15euro mark? Dundalk are charging 20euro AFAIK. Anything over 1500 would be fantastic.. then again anything over 500 these days would be good. I will print up a poster and stick it up down this neck of the woods. Plenty would be interested, not in Longford sadly..

Longfordian
28/07/2009, 5:03 PM
I'd have thought around 15 alright considering 10 is our normal price, somebody else may know for sure though. Decent Town related weekend ahead, social/barbecue Friday night, UCD Saturday night, Atletico Sunday night. Who needs to go away for weekends when Longford can offer so much?!.

sligoman
28/07/2009, 5:13 PM
Was gonna head to UCD match...now not sure which one to go to. Feck sake Longford!

RonnieB
28/07/2009, 5:14 PM
For months I have had nothing to do on weekends and the one weekend I have a prior commitment to we go and get Atletico down to Flansiro :(

Martinho II
28/07/2009, 6:39 PM
its a good move by the club. I received a call on it and got clarifcation from one of the posters here..hope it goes well for them

Keen2win
28/07/2009, 7:36 PM
For months I have had nothing to do on weekends and the one weekend I have a prior commitment to we go and get Atletico down to Flansiro :(

I'm in the same boat, unfortunatly:(

spaceghost
29/07/2009, 2:17 PM
well done for getting atletico madrid to flancare, hopfully people will come out to the game

Ronnie
30/07/2009, 12:54 PM
Is there much promotion of this game going on?

spaceghost
31/07/2009, 8:33 PM
there doesnt seem to be much promotion of the game at all.i told loads of people who thought i was having a laugh.

Longfordian
31/07/2009, 8:57 PM
It obviously came up at short notice and may not have been in time for the papers but I assume Shannonside have been advertising it at least?. Haven't been around Longford so I don't know what's being done but it'd be a shame to not maximise the opportunity.

howsyourtouch
31/07/2009, 9:31 PM
no publicity around town at all really no...

RonnieB
31/07/2009, 9:36 PM
Ah feck that. There are a few heading up from my neck of the woods to it. Told them about it and they seemed interested.

Longfordian
01/08/2009, 11:25 AM
Was talking to our PRO last night and apparently the posters are going up all around town today and it's going to be all over Shannonside all day today and tomorrow presumably. There's a huge poster outside Flancare apparently which should catch the eye of passing traffic. With the short notice it didn't make the local papers though I haven't seen the Weekender part of the Leader, it may be in that.

Massop 10
01/08/2009, 11:50 AM
Atletico Madrid are playing in the Emerites Cup today and tomorrow so that is why nobody will belive you when you say it ! I was telling a lad in cork during the week when just as I was saying it an add came on Sky about The Emerites Cup so then needless to say I was not only been laughed at for thinking Athletico would come to Longford but looked like I was telling stories pinochio would be proud of ! I'd say if 500 turn up it will be a suprise ! Was looking at their website and it will be a young team that play in the 2nd division and a few players that have played as sub once or twice. Their 22 top players are in London at the moment !

Longfordian
01/08/2009, 12:20 PM
That's why it's being billed as an Atletico Madrid XI though, nobody should be expecting the first team stars. It's the same when United or Liverpool send over their reserves, Bohs' game with Liverpool is being billed as a Liverpool XI and the Liverpool first team is in action the previous day and they're still selling thousands of tickets. It should still be an interesting game though and hopefully a decent enough crowd will come out to it. Good time for it as well, with it being a Bank Holiday.

Dunny
01/08/2009, 12:25 PM
We have had a lot of publicity about this, big fundraiser for us.

http://dundalkfc.com/images/AtleticoSplash.jpg

Martinho II
01/08/2009, 5:25 PM
In fairness to our PRO, there has bein a few large posters that you couldnt miss on the outskirts of the town.. I heard today that we were very flukey in getting it..Athletico were tellin Dundalk that they were looking for another team to play. A member of their committee who used to be on ours Dessie Weir (1980s) got in contact with us to say that they wanted to play another team. Their fee was reasonable 2000euros as opposed to Leeds Utd who were lookin for 24000 euros to play. It would explain the short notice in the game being announced.

De Town
02/08/2009, 8:38 PM
Town played very well tonight, very unlucky not to score on a number of occasions. Atletico had a few very nice footballers, hardly surprising they were all very technically gifted. Not a bad evenings entertainment I must say.

Longfordian
02/08/2009, 8:44 PM
Agreed, worth the money I reckon. Both teams tried to play football which obviously you'd expect from Atletico!. Tom King and Michael Lee were excellent I must say, Shanahan was good too I'd like to see him signed if he hasn't already. We should have made a small bit of money out of it too if the reported low expenses are true so all in all it was a decent night.

RonnieB
03/08/2009, 4:07 PM
Much of a crowd there?

Longfordian
03/08/2009, 5:06 PM
At a guess somewhere around 600. Stand seemd a little less than half full.

RonnieB
03/08/2009, 8:49 PM
Not bad sure. Considering crowds for the season would be hard to have seen any more.

Longfordian
03/08/2009, 8:56 PM
Yeah it was alright. Very hard to get people to come out there at all these days. I'd say if there was a couple of more weeks publicity you might have seen another couple of hundred come out. As long as some bit of profit was made it was worthwhile. People enjoyed it too and it helped them forget about the previous night!.

Dunny
03/08/2009, 9:51 PM
Good enough game tonight, pity about the weather. I'm no good a crowd guessing but well over 1000 anyway. We lost 2-1.

Martinho II
04/08/2009, 10:08 AM
Agreed, worth the money I reckon. Both teams tried to play football which obviously you'd expect from Atletico!. Tom King and Michael Lee were excellent I must say, Shanahan was good too I'd like to see him signed if he hasn't already. We should have made a small bit of money out of it too if the reported low expenses are true so all in all it was a decent night.

I was asking Brian McCarthy at half time about Aaron Shanahan and he said that he would be signing for us... Hes a way better goalie than O'Leary thats for sure..