PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup

The Fox
27/07/2009, 11:28 PM
There is talk in the main forum of us getting the last setanta cup spot on account of us finishing 6th last season. We definitely need to strengthen squad if we are going to be in that!

centre mid
28/07/2009, 1:12 PM
Thats a laugh, we have no hope

BrayUnknowns
28/07/2009, 1:40 PM
Thats a laugh, we have no hope

If the FAI stick to their own rules then we will replace Cork as the next highest placed club in the League last season.

superfrank
29/07/2009, 10:10 AM
Well be hammered though.

It could be good financially but also bad for morale.

Rovers Maniac
29/07/2009, 10:47 AM
You're playing us and Cliftonville, after the last game we had i think a hammering is out of the question. :)

It would be tiht enough to who grabs top i think.

Dodge
29/07/2009, 11:30 AM
If the FAI stick to their own rules then we will replace Cork as the next highest placed club in the League last season.

There are no rules on how the holders are replaced

Hope its Bray. You won't be hammered by Cliftonville either...

pineapple stu
29/07/2009, 11:54 AM
And it's not an FAI competition anyway surely?

Dodge
29/07/2009, 11:57 AM
And it's not an FAI competition anyway surely?

Its co-promoted and licensed by the FAI and the IFA

Schumi
29/07/2009, 12:02 PM
The original announcement (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3484) says that if the holders (how Cork qualified) qualified from the league or cup that there'd be a play-off between a club from each league. It would seem logical that that's how the vacant place would be filled if Cork can't participate.

centre mid
29/07/2009, 12:05 PM
The extra place will be given automatically to the reigning Setanta Sports Cup holders should they fail to qualify through the normal channels.

If the competition holders qualify through their league or cup placing, the extra place will be awarded to the winners of a play-off between a club from the eircom League of Ireland and one from the JJB Sports Premiership.

Thats not the way I read it. Not sure that this is covered by the above, although that would be the logical way to resolve it I agree.

dublinwanderer
29/07/2009, 12:34 PM
It would be great for Bray to be involved - i think its 25k for participating!!! that money would be well received.

Overall i think with Cork going bust i think Bray (if we get into the setanta cup) will benefit the most out of everyone, move up the table and get the setanta cup.... happy days, good bye cork!!!! :P ;)

pineapple stu
29/07/2009, 12:48 PM
The original announcement says that if the holders (how Cork qualified) qualified from the league or cup that there'd be a play-off between a club from each league.

Although it doesn't say how the clubs are chosen.

If it's highest league team that didn't qualify, then it'd be Bray v Crusaders. But Wexford could just as easily be chosen (League Cup runners up), or Rovers (highest placed team this year).

naoise kennedy
31/07/2009, 8:54 AM
Does anybody know what time today the decision is made about the setanta cup ie who takes cork position if they fold.......

dublinwanderer
31/07/2009, 9:31 AM
Does anybody know what time today the decision is made about the setanta cup ie who takes cork position if they fold.......

i dont think the setanta cup decision is today. cork are just back in the high court today, to be wound up for certain, unless they come up with something like €400,000... setanta decision wont be for a while i'd say if they are wound up...

Roo69
31/07/2009, 12:46 PM
I just got a text to say the game was going ahead so does that mean Cork have not been told to cease trading and they are still in the setanta cup etc ?

centre mid
31/07/2009, 12:50 PM
Court decision at 2.00pm as I undertand it