PDA

View Full Version : prices of jerseys

Ringo
02/02/2004, 10:11 AM
folllowed this link on the Bohs website, thought it was interesting. beats champion sports.

http://www.sportshop4you.biz/replica_soccer_jerseys_national.htm

Replica Soccer Jersey. Ireland Home IR001B €33.64 EUR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Handling €6.73 EUR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total €40.37 EUR

Peadar
02/02/2004, 10:49 AM
For any of you living in London, last week Lillywhites in Picadilly Circus had Ireland shirts for £25 (home) and £30 (away - new design). They also had Munster rugby shirts for £30.

Ringo
02/02/2004, 12:05 PM
were they real?

Peadar
02/02/2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Ringo
were they real?

Lillywhites are a reputable store.
The shirts were very real.
You can get almost every Premiership club shirt for £30.
They're big into rugby so you can get all sorts of shirt.

Ringo
02/02/2004, 12:58 PM
are they online?

Peadar
02/02/2004, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by Ringo
are they online?

Don't think so but I'm sure you can manage to use a search engine yourself :D

Lillywhites sports store,
Piccadilly Circus,
London.

brine2
02/02/2004, 8:37 PM
I'd only buy an Ireland jersey if they sold them without the sponsor. We're probably the only country in Europe who puts a sponsors logo on the national replica shirts.

republic
03/02/2004, 1:25 PM
Originally posted by brine2
I'd only buy an Ireland jersey if they sold them without the sponsor. We're probably the only country in Europe who puts a sponsors logo on the national replica shirts.

Excellent point. This is something which has bothered me for quite a while. National teams are not permitted by FIFA to wear shirts with sponsors logos. Yet the FAI have, since 1986, permitted replica shirts be sold to fans with a sponsors logo. Worse still, it is simply not possible to buy a shirt *without* a sponsors logo.

It would be true to say that the shirts sold are not, in fact, 'replicas' as they are not the same as those worn by the Irish team.

As far as I know, we are the only country who sell such shirts. I would argue that this cheapens and demeans the national team jersey.

Is there anything we can do to stop this or at least enable fans to buy a genuine replica shirt??

Declan_Michael
03/02/2004, 1:32 PM
Originally posted by brine2

And I've never even been tempted to buy a car or make a phone call :D

max power
03/02/2004, 2:06 PM
yeah, i'm off out now to purchase an opel

Macy
03/02/2004, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by republic
It would be true to say that the shirts sold are not, in fact, 'replicas' as they are not the same as those worn by the Irish team.
No, it wouldn't be true actually.... No sponsorship on the front for competitive games, but it is allowed for friendlies. And don't be under the misrepresentation that FIFA do this for anything other than their own commercial reasons...

Originally posted by republic
Is there anything we can do to stop this or at least enable fans to buy a genuine replica shirt??
Excellent idea, lets reduce one of Irish Football's major revenue streams to appease fans that are quite happy to walk around with club jersey's that have sponsor's logo's on them....

Peadar
03/02/2004, 2:16 PM
Originally posted by max power
i'm off out now to purchase an opel

I thought we agreed your next car will be a Nissan?

I suppose one could contact Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs with regard to Ireland shirts being sold as replicas.

max power
03/02/2004, 2:21 PM
nissan, na. at least opel is a german make ( even if it is owned by GM )

Peadar
03/02/2004, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by Macy
it is allowed for friendlies.

I've never seen eircom on the shirts during any friendly game.
With regard to reducing the revenue stream, surely if every other football association can strike a deal without requiring the sponsors logo to be on the front of all "replica" shirts, the mighty FAI can do that also?
The big orange ball in the eircom logo looks stupid.

republic
03/02/2004, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by Macy
No, it wouldn't be true actually.... No sponsorship on the front for competitive games, but it is allowed for friendlies. And don't be under the misrepresentation that FIFA do this for anything other than their own commercial reasons...

Excellent idea, lets reduce one of Irish Football's major revenue streams to appease fans that are quite happy to walk around with club jersey's that have sponsor's logo's on them....

A shirt with the sponsors logo has never been worn by a Republic of Ireland team in an 'official' friendly. However I do recall a number of instances when such shirts were worn - such as a couple of testimonials.

As regards "Irish Football's major revenue streams", all other countries in Europe can quite happily exist without recourse to defacing their national team shirt with advertisements. Many countries carry advertising on tracksuits and training apparel. Additional official sponsor space can be devoted in match programmes and on stadium advertising. All other countries satisfy sponsors requirements without altering the national team shirt. Why do only the FAI agree to deface the national team shirt?

There is a difference between club and national team shirts.

Peterc
04/02/2004, 11:30 AM
I would rather wear an Irish jersey without "Eircom" all over it or any other sponsor for that matter. I wish the FAI would do something about it, at least give supprters the choice.

England as sponsored by Nationwide but do not have it on their shirts or Scotland with Safeways

DolansWaistcoat
04/02/2004, 7:24 PM
The eircom logo does look gammy alright,there should be jerseys available without it.:(

B1977
04/02/2004, 8:04 PM
the only time the sponsor is on the jersey is for testimonials against club sides. ie against liverpool and man utd the jerseys with a logo were worn

Beavis
04/02/2004, 11:33 PM
For such an inconsequential matter,which surely earns the FAI a lot more than if hadn't a sponsor on each jersey,I say just leave it.

petef
05/02/2004, 12:23 AM
Bring back Opel.

tiktok
05/02/2004, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by Beavis
For such an inconsequential matter,which surely earns the FAI a lot more than if hadn't a sponsor on each jersey,I say just leave it.

6.35 million for ten years isn't that much to start with, although it's currently being renegotiated.

i have to admit i don't see what the problem is, even if it's unusual on international shirts. it's commonplace to have sponsor's logos on jerseys. no big deal, and if it helps the FAI squeeze a few more quid out of eircom, well and good.

Daxion
05/02/2004, 9:49 AM
I hate adverts on Jersies, expecially the National team, but the FAI need the cash (sic).
Why not make the adverts more discrete, put small adverts on the upper sleeves of the jersey.

DolansWaistcoat
05/02/2004, 11:54 AM
The companies who are paying the money for the advertising on the front of the jersey wouldn't go along with that.They want their logo's as visable as possible and a small name on a sleeve is nowhere near as good as on the front middle of the shirt.