PDA

View Full Version : Irish not foreign according to English Premier League

irishultra
27/07/2009, 2:11 PM
This is a list of foreign players in the Premier League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League), which commenced play in 1992. The following players must meet both of the following two criteria:

Have played at least one Premier League game. Players who were signed by Premier League clubs, but only played in lower league, cup and/or European games, or did not play in any competitive games at all, are not included.
Are considered foreign, i.e., outside Great Britain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain) and Ireland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland), determined by the following:
A player is considered foreign if he is not eligible to play for the national teams of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.

Why is this? A Dutch player is considered foreign playing in Belgium, a Danish player is considered foreign playing in Sweden, a English player playing in Ireland is foreign so whats the reason for this?

sligoman
27/07/2009, 2:14 PM
Because it's wikipedia and means nothing?

irishultra
27/07/2009, 2:16 PM
Unless some Irish person wants to feel that the club he supports is not foreign then I doubt anyone would bother.

passinginterest
27/07/2009, 2:17 PM
Shared culture innit mate?

endabob1
27/07/2009, 2:21 PM
Under the old UEFA rules, ROI players were always considered foreign not sure about NI Welsh & Scots though.

irishultra
27/07/2009, 2:26 PM

See sweden and denmark ;)

Den Perry
28/07/2009, 9:58 AM

lol :D:D

awec
28/07/2009, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's something to do with the rules regarding declaring for home nations here.

Would scottish people call McGeady a foreigner?

I'm only guessing.

irishultra
28/07/2009, 5:54 PM
They wouldn't because he's not, same as if Eamonn Zayed(plays for sporting fingal now) had decided to play for Libya(his dad is from there) I wouldn't call him a foreigner. I mean McGeady is definetly Scottish like.

Only reason I thought about this is because I seen a piece from Jamie Redknapp on greatest foreign players in premiership and roy keane wasn't included and its not as if keane was in england since he was 15 or anything, he signed from another uefa recongised league club.

jebus
28/07/2009, 6:12 PM
People born in the British Isles are not considered foreign would be my guess

irishultra
28/07/2009, 6:26 PM
you think? :p

i just don't get it. i like being indipendant :)

anto1208
28/07/2009, 6:32 PM
Did they included Irish players in the old foreign player rules ? I dont think they did might be just a left over from that.

Dont think they will be considered foreign if the new rule comes in at least i hope not it would have a devestating effect on the national team. But then again it would prob be good for the LOI.

I wouldnt consider myself as a foreigner but i guess i am......now where are all those jobs and women.

Lionel Ritchie
28/07/2009, 6:47 PM
Did they included Irish players in the old foreign player rules ? I dont think they did might be just a left over from that. . They most certainly did consider ROI players foreign. The irony wasn't lost that at times Liverpool had to leave a certain local boy out to balance the books.

I wouldnt consider myself as a foreigner but i guess i am......now where are all those jobs and women. I wouldn't consider myself especially foreign anywhere in the UK. Now there's bits of Kerry on the other hand...

irishultra
28/07/2009, 8:09 PM
yeah i suppose but this is not personal feelings :D(same with swedish and danish they don't really consider each other 'foreign)

i mean im a brussels boy :o so i wouldn't consider myself foreign there but when it comes to football i damn sure would be.

bennocelt
28/07/2009, 9:24 PM
People born in the British Isles are not considered foreign would be my guess

yeah the mainland and all that:rolleyes:

have to be honest this does annoy me a small bit - i mean, really, many British people think ireland is part of the UK. They cant get the fact we are an independent country at all.
Just like the rugby - many in the Uk call it the British Lions, and whenever i correct them they always take the ****.

irishultra
28/07/2009, 9:50 PM
I wouldn't mind if same applied to other Europeans but just like you bennocelt it annoys me a little. its kinda like wanting to be discriminated against :D

jebus
30/07/2009, 2:33 PM
yeah the mainland and all that:rolleyes:

have to be honest this does annoy me a small bit - i mean, really, many British people think ireland is part of the UK. They cant get the fact we are an independent country at all.
Just like the rugby - many in the Uk call it the British Lions, and whenever i correct them they always take the ****.

This is the country that made a martyr out of Jade Goody you realise? Pick your battles

Not Brazil
30/07/2009, 5:53 PM
have to be honest this does annoy me a small bit - i mean, really, many British people think ireland is part of the UK.

To be fair, part of it is part of the UK.

I guess if ROI born players were deemed "foreign", it might have a detrimental effect on your International side in the event of foreign quotas in the English Premiership.

brianw82
30/07/2009, 10:17 PM
I was under the impression that the new CL quotas meant that a player had to have trained at an English club for at least 3 years while under the age of 21 to be classified as "home-grown."

If that was the case, and Kevin Doyle moved to a top 4 club, he wouldn't be classified as home-grown.

don ramo
08/08/2009, 12:42 AM
with our lovely european membership, every individual has the right to earn a living within any member state (granted some refused to allow the polish in when they joined) they have the right to move and seek work within the coallition,

its impossible to implement this foreign player policy as it would over-rule a common law, and common law will always be above sporting law,

FIFA are pumping in millions to pass this moronic law, that will never be passed, as it would infringe on the right given to us through EU membership,

i dont know anything about law, but i would think this argument would hold up well in my hands, what would a solicitor do with it?

bennocelt
08/08/2009, 10:14 AM
with our lovely european membership, every individual has the right to earn a living within any member state (granted some refused to allow the polish in when they joined) they have the right to move and seek work within the coallition,

its impossible to implement this foreign player policy as it would over-rule a common law, and common law will always be above sporting law,

FIFA are pumping in millions to pass this moronic law, that will never be passed, as it would infringe on the right given to us through EU membership,

i dont know anything about law, but i would think this argument would hold up well in my hands, what would a solicitor do with it?

Please:rolleyes: where have you lived the last few years!!! Sport is kind of different

don ramo
08/08/2009, 11:33 AM
Please:rolleyes: where have you lived the last few years!!! Sport is kind of different

i know sport is different, but this sporting law takes away the right for people to apply there trade in a foreign country, whats the point of having the EU if the laws of it can be blocked by a sporting organisation,

how would you fell if you went to holland (a member state) and were told they already have 2 irish people working for them, so cant hire any more,

its an impossible law to implement, its a pipe dream

superfrank
08/08/2009, 11:44 AM
On don ramo's post, I came across this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling) yesterday and wonder why I hadn't heard about being used in football before.

I'm sick of Sepp Blatter. The sooner he's gone, the better. Maybe then, players can celebrate how they want to and institutional racism won't be encouraged by the top organisation of the game.