PDA

View Full Version : Aggh. Problems with laptop

Magicme
24/07/2009, 9:58 AM
Hi once more my laptop is driving me insane. Now it has decided that I am half blind and increased the size of everything on the monitor. I have tried resetting the settings and dpi etc but it still doesnt help.

God I am at my wits end with this machine.

thischarmingman
26/07/2009, 7:04 PM
Hi once more my laptop is driving me insane. Now it has decided that I am half blind and increased the size of everything on the monitor. I have tried resetting the settings and dpi etc but it still doesnt help.

God I am at my wits end with this machine.

Does your mouse have a roller between the two buttons? If so, holding CTRL and rolling it towards you will decrease the size of everything on screen.

dahamsta
26/07/2009, 7:20 PM
Is it everything or just a particular application or section of the user interface?

Magicme
29/07/2009, 10:28 AM
It was everything Adam. I ended up ringing the manufacturers and they advised me to restore factory settings. I followed their instructions to the t to copy over my stuff from my c drive to my d drive but still lost everything. Now I have what is essentially a brand new laptop but have none of my work from the past year and half. Am in the process of trying to find a restore files programme that will actually do what it says!

I have some of my work saved to the office computer but hadnt backed up the more recent stuff and loads of photos etc are gone. I have also lost the first chapter of my novel and some poetry and prayers I had written for my Granny's funeral so am desperate to get it back.

Have always been a lazy backupper so have learned the hard way now and will be investing in a portable hard drive and transferring everything to it!

Does your mouse have a roller between the two buttons? If so, holding CTRL and rolling it towards you will decrease the size of everything on screen.

No have a mouse pad so wasnt that!

dahamsta
29/07/2009, 11:36 AM
Typical tech support, restore first, ask questions later.

If the restore process was just a copy, everything should still be there. Look through the My Documents and Desktop folders for the various users in C:\Documents and Settings until you find something familiar.

brianw82
30/07/2009, 9:40 PM
From your original post, it simply sounds like your screen resolution is messed up. I can't believe you were advised to do a restore to fix it.