PDA

View Full Version : Derry benefit from British Visa Rule

paul_oshea
22/07/2009, 11:49 AM
its on rte.ie that 4 of skonto players have been refused visas and therefore under uefa rules wont be able play tomorrow night sorry dont have the link. but its on the main page.

Big boost for them.

Mr A
22/07/2009, 11:50 AM
Mental stuff!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0722/derrycity_skontoriga.html

John Hume using his connections to help DCFC once again?

paul_oshea
22/07/2009, 12:02 PM
why what did he do before

Umberside
22/07/2009, 12:15 PM
why what did he do before

He brought Barcelona to town back in 2003.

pineapple stu
22/07/2009, 12:16 PM
If they arrive in Dublin OK, can they be stopped from going to Derry? Freedom of movement within the EU and all that.

DmanDmythDledge
22/07/2009, 12:17 PM
If they arrive in Dublin OK, can they be stopped from going to Derry? Freedom of movement within the EU and all that.
No, but they can't play which is the important bit.:)

Ceirtlis
22/07/2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0722/1224251106351.html

Skonto manager says their alright. From looking at wikipedia and the line ups from last week, two of their starting eleven and a sub could be ruled out, a Georgian, a Brazilian and a Russian.

OneRedArmy
22/07/2009, 12:58 PM
If they arrive in Dublin OK, can they be stopped from going to Derry? Freedom of movement within the EU and all that.Freedom of movement only applies to EU citizens does it not?

Anyway, it's the work visa they need as already stated.

I wonder had they not realised we're in the OSC? ;)

John83
22/07/2009, 1:01 PM
What a ridiculous ruling.

OneRedArmy
22/07/2009, 1:11 PM
What a ridiculous ruling.

Really? What info are you basing that on? My sources tell me the 4 lads rocked up to the British Embassy yesterday, less than 12 hours before they were due to depart.

I'd wait to hear a bit more info before I blame the Brits :)

dcfcsteve
22/07/2009, 1:15 PM
Really? What info are you basing that on? My sources tell me the 4 lads rocked up to the British Embassy yesterday, less than 12 hours before they were due to depart.

Sounds like the type of thing the FAI would do......! :D

paul_oshea
22/07/2009, 1:21 PM
so they can go on a holiday visa but they cant get a working visa, i thought once a working visa was got in any EU country it could be used anywhere within the EU, bar a few of the newer states, im assuming latvia along with bulagaria and some other eastern european countries fall into this category?

holidaysong
22/07/2009, 1:39 PM
so they can go on a holiday visa but they cant get a working visa, i thought once a working visa was got in any EU country it could be used anywhere within the EU, bar a few of the newer states, im assuming latvia along with bulagaria and some other eastern european countries fall into this category?

In the Schengen area yes, but Ireland and the UK are not part of the Schengen Agreement.

Dalymountrower
22/07/2009, 1:45 PM
Great news, Derry use whatever stroke you can to beat them.!

paul_oshea
22/07/2009, 1:49 PM
In the Schengen area yes, but Ireland and the UK are not part of the Schengen Agreement.

Isn't the UK partaking in schengen though I thought, in terms of immigration and policing?

holidaysong
22/07/2009, 1:52 PM
Isn't the UK partaking in schengen though I thought, in terms of immigration and policing?

They're only partaking in certain areas. In terms of working though, a Schengen visa won't do to work in either the UK or Ireland, you have to apply for a British or Irish visa.

brendy_éire
22/07/2009, 1:53 PM

There's participation in certain aspects of it, but not membsership.

If they only went into the British Embassy yesterday though, it's their own fault. BTW, aren't team meant to be in the country 48 hours before a match?

irishultra
22/07/2009, 1:54 PM
I think the UK is the reason Ireland hasn't joined Schengen.

Good news for them though if absolutely mad at the same time.

OneRedArmy
22/07/2009, 2:05 PM
There's participation in certain aspects of it, but not membsership.

If they only went into the British Embassy yesterday though, it's their own fault. BTW, aren't team meant to be in the country 48 hours before a match?24 hours iirc.

HarpoJoyce
22/07/2009, 2:21 PM
[EDIT: partial and wrong quotes appeared, so deleted them.]

Was a decision made at the United Kingdom Embassy in Riga?
If a refusal was given against them then the 'timeline' reason would not have being given as a reason for refusal as if there's time to refuse there's time to grant.
A more likely scenario is the Riga Embassy may have delayed a ruling forcing the applicants to retrieve their documents again without a decision.

Also as an EU capital Dublin also has an United Kingdom Embassy too.
I would hope the Skonto manager Paul Ashworth comments are closest to the mark.
(It's an overnight rule in the host country).

This is a reminder of when Palestinian coaches and athletes were refused to travel by Israeli authorities for the Special Olympics in Dublin a few years ago. Palestine were able to put together a makeshift Handball team to compete in Dublin.

dcfcsteve
22/07/2009, 2:40 PM
RRS...

dcfcsteve
22/07/2009, 2:42 PM
This is a reminder of when Palestinian coaches and athletes were refused to travel by Israeli authorities for the Special Olympics in Dublin a few years ago. Palestine were able to put together a makeshift Handball team to compete in Dublin.

Continuity Skonto falls foul of the British imperialist powers and their unsportsmanlike interventions !

And Latvians thought they had it bad from the Russians....... :D

John83
22/07/2009, 2:43 PM

I'd wait to hear a bit more info before I blame the Brits :)
It sounds like they haven't helped themselves, but the idea that you need a special visa to play a football match in a country is ridiculous to me. That amount of 'work' - 90 minutes, and under the employ of a Latvian company - should be reasonably covered under the 'just sign this bit to say you haven't committed mass genocide or slept with anyone for money' level of border control.

Candystripe
22/07/2009, 2:50 PM
That amount of 'work' - 90 minutes,.

Having been there last week, the Skonto players only worked for 30 minutes. :D

thischarmingman
22/07/2009, 3:01 PM
...if only we could unearth a similar rule to prevent other LOI teams from bringing full squads to Derry...

John83
22/07/2009, 3:08 PM
Having been there last week, the Skonto players only worked for 30 minutes. :D
That reminds me about the old joke about Paul McGrath offering to take on England on his own while the rest of the Ireland team nips off to the pub. After a bit, they check the score on AERTEL:

Ireland 0-1 England
_________Shearer 63

When McGrath appears, they ask him what happened. It'd all gone swimmingly, he tells them, until he got send off after half an hour.

OneRedArmy
22/07/2009, 5:24 PM
Maybe I'm a perpetual pessimist but I don't see this as a positive for Derry. It gives a historically poor side away from home a huge motivator to put in a great performance.

pól-dcfc
22/07/2009, 8:18 PM
Maybe I'm a perpetual pessimist but I don't see this as a positive for Derry. It gives a historically poor side away from home a huge motivator to put in a great performance.

I think you are being pessimistic. Wasn't the Brazilian fella one of their best last week? Him missing can only be good for us.

Flexy
22/07/2009, 8:27 PM
I think you are being pessimistic. Wasn't the Brazilian fella one of their best last week? Him missing can only be good for us.
Are they definately not allowed to play tomorrow night

Candystripe
22/07/2009, 8:31 PM

Depends which Derry team turns up though.

BTW Did I just spot you at the Bohs game in section A :D

saintmaniac
22/07/2009, 9:35 PM
...if only we could unearth a similar rule to prevent other LOI teams from bringing full squads to Derry...

Where are the 132,403 posts complaining of typical Derry barbarism and telling you where you can stick your Candystripes? (Our survey says the Irish League.) This is not what I expect of foot.ie - where is the needless friction? I'm disappointed.

ifk101
23/07/2009, 6:33 AM
So are these 4 players definitely ruled out of tonight's game?

placid casual
23/07/2009, 8:19 AM
Best of luck to derry tonight. ;)
The visa thing is a bit sketchy but i guess you take what you can get.
I think a 1:0 victory will be the order of the day.

I'm in unfashionably good mood today. :D:)

dcfcsteve
23/07/2009, 2:03 PM
Where are the 132,403 posts complaining of typical Derry barbarism and telling you where you can stick your Candystripes? (Our survey says the Irish League.) This is not what I expect of foot.ie - where is the needless friction? I'm disappointed.

See - now that you've had the temerity to mention the Irish League and DCFC in the same sentence (all-be-it in an unconnected way) Dodge will be along to tell you to stop turning the thread into a DC v IL thing..... :o

Rovers Maniac
23/07/2009, 4:00 PM

Oh god we have a first, man who think team missing players a good thing ! :D

saintmaniac
23/07/2009, 6:24 PM
See - now that you've had the temerity to mention the Irish League and DCFC in the same sentence (all-be-it in an unconnected way) Dodge will be along to tell you to stop turning the thread into a DC v IL thing..... :o

You love it really, Steve. ;) Anyway, Dodge has more important things to attend tonight - as should I, really, come to think of it...

TheBoss
23/07/2009, 6:25 PM
Those players are not missing, it is the same 18 man panel that was in the last game.