PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Collins - Again

Pages : [1] 2

Celdrog
21/07/2009, 5:53 PM
This won't go away
http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sport

DERRY CITY appear set to challenge the League of Ireland Disciplinary Committee in relation to the involvement of an alleged "illegal player" following their defeat by Dundak at Oriel Park on July 3rd last.
And should the "Candy Stripes" fail to get any satisfaction from the F.A.I., then it's possible that the Brandywell club could go to the Courts having discovered what Derry believe is a clear-cut discrepancy and a breach of the rules.

Former Portadown and Newry City central midfielder, Michael Collins, played a leading role in Dundalk's 1-0 victory, the Belfast man's competitive debut for the "Lilywhites," however, it has since come to light that Collins had been sent off in the company of Gavin Whelan during a pre-season game against Drogheda United.

As a result of that dismissal, Collins would be expected to serve an automatic one-match ban but because of registration difficulties, the player could not field for Dundalk until the opening of the July Transfer Window.

And that being the case, the first match he would be entitled to play in was the July 3rd meeting against Derry. However, the suspension must also come into play and as the player did not play in a competitive game for Sean Connor's side until the Transfer Window opened, the suspension should have been served in his club's game against the Brandywell side.

While no-one at the Brandywell was prepared to comment on my findings, sources insist that Derry have already set wheels in motion within the FAI's Disciplinary Committee who, it is understood, are currently investigating the matter.

However, it should also be pointed out that Collins' name did not appear in the weekly suspension list at that time, sent to the Press by the Disciplinary Committee, therefore, Dundalk opted to use the player as they will claim they did not receive notification.

Should Derry's appeal succeed, then it's possible that the League of Ireland may overturn the result with the "Candy Stripes" receiving the three points if the alleged breach of the rules has been proven.

SkStu
21/07/2009, 6:01 PM
This won't go away

DERRY CITY appear set to challenge the League of Ireland Disciplinary Committee in relation to the involvement of an alleged "illegal player" following their defeat by Dundak at Oriel Park on July 3rd last.
And should the "Candy Stripes" fail to get any satisfaction from the F.A.I., then it's possible that the Brandywell club could go to the Courts having discovered what Derry believe is a clear-cut discrepancy and a breach of the rules.

Former Portadown and Newry City central midfielder, Michael Collins, played a leading role in Dundalk's 1-0 victory, the Belfast man's competitive debut for the "Lilywhites," however, it has since come to light that Collins had been sent off in the company of Gavin Whelan during a pre-season game against Drogheda United.

As a result of that dismissal, Collins would be expected to serve an automatic one-match ban but because of registration difficulties, the player could not field for Dundalk until the opening of the July Transfer Window.

And that being the case, the first match he would be entitled to play in was the July 3rd meeting against Derry. However, the suspension must also come into play and as the player did not play in a competitive game for Sean Connor's side until the Transfer Window opened, the suspension should have been served in his club's game against the Brandywell side.

While no-one at the Brandywell was prepared to comment on my findings, sources insist that Derry have already set wheels in motion within the FAI's Disciplinary Committee who, it is understood, are currently investigating the matter.

However, it should also be pointed out that Collins' name did not appear in the weekly suspension list at that time, sent to the Press by the Disciplinary Committee, therefore, Dundalk opted to use the player as they will claim they did not receive notification.

Should Derry's appeal succeed, then it's possible that the League of Ireland may overturn the result with the "Candy Stripes" receiving the three points if the alleged breach of the rules has been proven.

didnt Bohs argue this when McGuiness (i think) was suspended, we didnt receive notification or received conflicting advice and he played against Shels. Oily Burn challenged it. But in the same season Hargan (i think?) played for Derry when suspended and they received no notice and were exonerated of blame.

Dont like what Derry are doing, more league-bashing ahoy, but if they have a case then they have a case.

Mr A
21/07/2009, 6:02 PM
Derry clutching at straws here it would appear, if Dundalk weren't told he was suspended then he was allowed to play.

Especially when you consider the strange affair of the broken Derry fax machine as precedent.

MariborKev
21/07/2009, 6:03 PM
Dont like what Derry are doing, more league-bashing ahoy, but if they have a case then they have a case.

Dunno,

As you Bohs fans like to say, pure minnowism in my view.

Sheridan
21/07/2009, 6:05 PM
Yeah, notification isn't necessary to enforce a suspension, the club is supposed to keep track of it themselves. Think it's pretty pathetic to be carping about a red card in pre-season though. They shouldn't incur a suspension anyway, except on recommendation from the referee, IMO.

blackholesun
21/07/2009, 6:05 PM
Thats gas, I remember Derry fans having a pop at Ollie over his chiqanery with the rulebook at NLU meeting years ago and now they the are taking steps that the rulebook maestro himself woulda been proud off in his day!

bhs

MariborKev
21/07/2009, 6:06 PM
Thats gas, I remember Derry fans having a pop at Ollie over his chiqanery with the rulebook at NLU meeting years ago and now they the are taking steps that the rulebook maestro himself woulda been proud off in his day!

bhs

Is it the same people? No.

Completely spurious comparison.

DRDoc
21/07/2009, 6:07 PM
Seeing as Collins was not registered with Dundalk, and hence not under the FAIs jurisdiction I think they would have a hard time making it stick!

Cosmo
21/07/2009, 6:11 PM
Think it's pretty pathetic to be carping about a red card in pre-season though.

Yeah but Gavin Whelan for us got sent off in the same match and had to serve a suspension!!

Think its harsh on craptown myself seen as they werent officially notified of any suspension - but i dont know the rules on that......

Dunny
21/07/2009, 6:13 PM
Yeah but Gavin Whelan for us got sent off in the same match and had to serve a suspension!!

Think its harsh on craptown myself seen as they werent officially notified of any suspension - but i dont know the rules on that......

Whelan was registered with the FAI...

Is it really that hard for you lot accept Collins wasn't registered??

Umberside
21/07/2009, 6:21 PM
Completely stupid. And what are Derry going to get out of this if it's true? They'll never get a replay and I doubt the Lilywhites will be docked points.

SkStu
21/07/2009, 6:38 PM
Dunno,

As you Bohs fans like to say, pure minnowism in my view.

as i said, i dont like it or agree with it but its your clubs prerogative to chase this if they think they have a case so for me to accuse Derry of minnowism is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

Aaron
21/07/2009, 6:57 PM
I'd be embarrassed if we pursued this, especially given our pathetic performance in said match

Réiteoir
21/07/2009, 7:43 PM
As I said in the other thread on this:

Had a quick look at what the English FA say in these situations - couldn't find anything for Non-Contract Players - so I assume they come under the same umbrella as any other player.

A player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for Violent Conduct, Serious Foul Play or spitting at an opponent or any other person whether he has previously been cautioned in the match or not, will be suspended automatically from all domestic League, League Cup, FA Challenge Cup and Trophy matches and Friendly matches commencing on the 14th day following the match in which he was sent off and until such time as his Club’s recognised Senior Team has completed three matches in approved Competitions during the period covered by its opening match in the Football Conference (North and South Divisions) / Isthmian / Northern Premier / Southern League and ending with the final match in which the Club is playing in a domestic Competition organised by The Football Association, the Football Conference (North and South Divisions) / Isthmian / Northern Premier / Southern League or matches concerning a Club’s nominated County Senior Cup Competition plus a fine of £40.

So if they apply those rules - then any suspension would have been served with the first three League games Dundalk played this season.

OneRedArmy
21/07/2009, 8:13 PM
Derry clutching at straws here it would appear, if Dundalk weren't told he was suspended then he was allowed to play.
Quoting from the rulebook? Read it again.

I agree with the sentiment of the post though, its not going to win us many friends in Abbotstown or Dundalk, particularly if it was the FAI that dropped the ball.

Ezeikial
21/07/2009, 9:01 PM
The journo here seems to be indulging in some wishful thinking speculation.

Some facts that may help clarify the position:

Michael Collins was not under FAI jurisdiction when playing in this pre-season match against Drogheda.
Gavin Whelan, who was sent off in the same match did not serve an automatic next match ban. The game took place on 24 February, and following an FAI disciplinary meeting his two match suspension and €50 fine was announced on 25 March. This suspension was effective for Drogheda's league matches on 3 April and 7 April.
Dundalk FC made enquiries from FAI regarding a possible suspension pending for Michael Collins, prior to his ITC clearance in July. While I am unaware of the specifics of the response it is clear that no suspension applied for Collins at that stage.
My understanding is that it was within the remit of the IFA to deal with any disciplinary issue that arose as a consequence of this sending-off. If any sanction were to apply from the IFA, this would have to be notified to the player and the FAI.
In this case the ultimate responsibility would rest with the FAI to notify the club. As the author of this "article" has already noted Michael Collins was not on any FAI suspension list.
While it is clear that there is no substance in the suggestion that Collins was "illegal" against Derry, I would be very surprised if Derry City were actually persuing this avenue at all. Apart from being a lost cause, it would show the club in a very poor light

As a result of that dismissal, Collins would be expected to serve an automatic one-match ban but

MariborKev
21/07/2009, 9:59 PM
While it is clear that there is no substance in the suggestion that Collins was "illegal" against Derry, I would be very surprised if Derry City were actually persuing this avenue at all. Apart from being a lost cause, it would show the club in a very poor light

I agree it shows us in a very poor light, but I would say the journalist in question is right that we are pursuing it.

Another sign of Kenny's slide towards Keeganesque behaviour IMHO.

Black and White
21/07/2009, 10:09 PM
The journo here seems to be indulging in some wishful thinking speculation.

Some facts that may help clarify the position:
Michael Collins was not under FAI jurisdiction when playing in this pre-season match against Drogheda.
Gavin Whelan, who was sent off in the same match did not serve an automatic next match ban. The game took place on 24 February, and following an FAI disciplinary meeting his two match suspension and €50 fine was announced on 25 March. This suspension was effective for Drogheda's league matches on 3 April and 7 April.
Dundalk FC made enquiries from FAI regarding a possible suspension pending for Michael Collins, prior to his ITC clearance in July. While I am unaware of the specifics of the response it is clear that no suspension applied for Collins at that stage.
My understanding is that it was within the remit of the IFA to deal with any disciplinary issue that arose as a consequence of this sending-off. If any sanction were to apply from the IFA, this would have to be notified to the player and the FAI.
In this case the ultimate responsibility would rest with the FAI to notify the club. As the author of this "article" has already noted Michael Collins was not on any FAI suspension list.

Gavin Whelan was suspended for a match, think it was the Drogs second game of the season!You dont serve a suspension during pre season, it goes on to the league so. I would also like to point out that it does really sound liek SOUR GRAPES to me!

Dunny
21/07/2009, 10:10 PM
Gavin Whelan was under FAI jurisdiction at the time so he got the ban.

SMorgan
21/07/2009, 10:28 PM
Tell me this, when Zidane was sent off in the World Cup final how many League of Ireland matches did the FAI suspend him for?

The simple fact is Collins was not under the jusidiction of the FAI, therefore they had no powers or right to suspend him. End of!!

I can't believe some are talking about notifications. There was nothing that Dundalk needed to be notified of.

However, if Derry want the 3 points they can have them. We'll sit back and let Bohs, Rovers and Cork get upset about it.

brendy_éire
21/07/2009, 10:29 PM
It'd be embarassing if we were pursuing this. Can't see what we have to gain from it really, Dundalk would just be deducted the three points.

Regardless, rules are rules, and should be applied. It shouldn't be up to clubs to bring them to light, the FAI should do it themselves.

Maybe I'm being naive in thinking the FAI are this advanced, but if they record the teamsheets on a computer program, would the program not recognise that a suspension is outstanding and flag the player up as having a suspension outstanding?

blackholesun
21/07/2009, 10:31 PM
Is it the same people? No.

Completely spurious comparison.

Well the Derry fans were all high and mightly at the time when Ollie was acting the maggot, so I think it's very ironic.

Put your neck line on the line! Do you approve of Derry taking this course of action in this instance?

Personally I hate to see any clubs reaching for the rule book after a defeat. I have seen schoolboys team at it, sickening! Ollie disgraced himself at it for years and am disgusted to see another club at it now apparently!

Make your complaints before the game or else live with it is my oponion.

bhs

srfc1928
21/07/2009, 10:46 PM
However, if Derry want the 3 points they can have them. We'll sit back and let Bohs, Rovers and Cork get upset about it.
can we have them, were finding it difficult at the moment picking up 3 points from anyone, so these would be great

MariborKev
21/07/2009, 10:52 PM
Well the Derry fans were all high and mightly at the time when Ollie was acting the maggot, so I think it's very ironic.

Put your neck line on the line! Do you approve of Derry taking this course of action in this instance?

Personally I hate to see any clubs reaching for the rule book after a defeat. I have seen schoolboys team at it, sickening! Ollie disgraced himself at it for years and am disgusted to see another club at it now apparently!

bhs

You found a case when supporters look hypocritical in the light of more recent actions? Well done, brew yourself a hot cocoa chief.

I have stated twice already in this thread that I think Derry are completely wrong. I am aware that figures around the club have counseled against the decision as well.

Ezeikial
21/07/2009, 11:22 PM
Gavin Whelan was suspended for a match, think it was the Drogs second game of the season!You dont serve a suspension during pre season, it goes on to the league so. I would also like to point out that it does really sound liek SOUR GRAPES to me!

The point is that Gavin Whelan did not receive an "Automatic Suspension in next League of Ireland match as per FIFA directive" which applies only to sending-offs received in competitive games.

His suspension was a two-match ban (and €50 fine) which he received at a FAI disciplinary meeting on 25 March, the match in question was on 24 Feb, and he subsequently served these in April - matches no 5 and 6.
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=36201

This clearly verifies that there is no standing automatic one-match, next-match suspension applying for friendlies.

This is an entirely seperate point from the fact that the FAI did not have jurisdictional autonomy on any disciplinary action on Collins.

pól-dcfc
21/07/2009, 11:29 PM

bhs

No one here is approving of the line we are taking. So it's a daft comparison.

joey B
22/07/2009, 2:01 AM

bhs

Every Derry fan has said they disagree with the line taken yet your still getting all high and mighty,now I like giggle at Muckers any chance I get but your just on a wind up mate:rolleyes:

Candystripe
22/07/2009, 2:22 AM

bhs

Not even one Derry fan has so far agreed with this from our club, so it's obvious that.............. blackholesun wrote "Do you approve of Derry taking this course of action in this instance?" ........ then the answer is NO.!!!!

blackholesun
22/07/2009, 6:52 AM
Fair enough so, I hadnt had a chance to read all the earlier responses ...

bhs

mcgonigle
22/07/2009, 8:57 AM
can we have them, were finding it difficult at the moment picking up 3 points from anyone, so these would be great

No get your own :D

stamullendrog
22/07/2009, 10:34 AM
It'd be embarassing if we were pursuing this. Can't see what we have to gain from it really, Dundalk would just be deducted the three points.

would the result not be changed to 3-0 derry??if derry arent gonna get the points from it i cant see why on earth they would pursue it,what this needs is the FAI to come out and say he was/wasn't suspended and put it to bed once and for all

eamoss
22/07/2009, 11:00 AM
Connor plays down reports of Derry appeal regarding Collins
http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/3418/Connor-plays-down-reports-of.5480165.jp

SMorgan
22/07/2009, 11:14 AM
It’s strange that Derry City appear, to an extent, to be distancing themselves from the appeal. According to them, they have been approached by a barrister that wants to pursue the matter with the FAI on the club's behalf. Ye right!!

The club could do worse than explain to the barrister the previsions within the Participation Agreement regarding clubs taking legal action against the FAI.

This is a nothing story that's going nowhere.

Ezeikial
22/07/2009, 12:09 PM
Some additional material from the print edition of that Dundalk Democrat article, including Sean Connor comments:

"It sounds like somebody is clutching at straws because Derry City FC is a club that I respect and admire 100%" he said. "They are a great club and the honesty and integrity of the people that run the club is fabulous. The club is built on good people and a good city and for me they are the template for this football club. If we can strive to do what Derry City have done over the last five years, when they have been, in my eyes, the most consistent club in the country, then we will do pretty well"

"I'd hope they are not in the kind of trouble that we hear they are in because they are an intrical part of the community in Derry and in the League of Ireland" he added.

This is high praise to be lavished on another football club, and perhaps is an accurate reflection of the general attitude towards Derry City within the football fraternity.

Derry City FC should make a comment on their position in the interests of protecting that reputation. In the absense of a clarification, this potential legal challenge will hang over the league table like an albatross, waiting to see if the 3 points in question have any relevance to Derrys final league place.

Otherwise that "honesty and integrity of the people that run the club" will take a further and justifiable pounding.

Flexy
22/07/2009, 12:24 PM
Some additional material from the print edition of that Dundalk Democrat article, including Sean Connor comments:

This is high praise to be lavished on another football club, and perhaps is an accurate reflection of the general attitude towards Derry City within the football fraternity.

Derry City FC should make a comment on their position in the interests of protecting that reputation. In the absense of a clarification, this potential legal challenge will hang over the league table like an albatross, waiting to see if the 3 points in question have any relevance to Derrys final league place.

Otherwise that "honesty and integrity of the people that run the club" will take a further and justifiable pounding.
Not one Derry fan agrees with the appeal process we would rather the club concentrates on footballing matters and with a big game ahead tomorrow night all our efforts should be put into this. We played rubbish that night, the better team won by a mile we got what we deserved from it nothing and think the club will not pursue it any longer

eelmonster
22/07/2009, 12:56 PM
I wish the Demo would use a spell check, 'intrical'!! ffs :D :o

Who's this busybody barrister who has offered his services to Derry?

http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/LionelHutz.jpg

OneRedArmy
22/07/2009, 1:04 PM
Not sure why Sean Connor's view is in any way relevant, although he does have recent experience of the legal process.

Maybe if he just invited Kenny out for a quiet drink it would easily be sorted.....

Black and White
22/07/2009, 3:00 PM
Mirror today basically says that the FAI have told Derry where to go as they do not have a foot to stand on. Perhaps they're covering their won tracks but it does say that they dont have any grounds to get the 3 points as Collins was infact technically still a Newry player.

mcgonigle
22/07/2009, 3:01 PM
Not sure why Sean Connor's view is in any way relevant, although he does have recent experience of the legal process.

Maybe if he just invited Kenny out for a quiet drink it would easily be sorted.....

I think he's the manager of the accused club :confused:

Ezeikial
22/07/2009, 4:15 PM

It might be more appropriate for the Derry chairman to have a not so quiet word with Kenny.....(if indeed Kenny is the one making the running on this nonsense)

Duffman
22/07/2009, 9:48 PM
I must be the only Dundalk fan that is a touch nervous about this. Its all well and good saying that the FAI have no jurisdiction over MC for the Malone Cup game but surely that the FAI have to approve all these friendlies then they have some level of control over what comes out of them? For the record I thought that there would be some sort of suspension for MC as a result of this however seeing as DFChave held his registration for 5 months now (albeit waiting on clearance to play) then something would have been heard by the club long before now. However given all the years of the FAI making up rules as they go along and ignoring their own rulebook I think that I have grounds to be apprehensive.

SMorgan
22/07/2009, 10:37 PM
Dundalk fans are absolutely right not to be the least bit worried about this issue.

The fact is that the FAI can only suspend players that are registered with them. Whelan was registered with the FAI and they dealt with him as they are entitled to. The FAI probably should have informed the IFA of Collin's sending off and left the matter with them to deal with. Whether they did or not should be of little or no interest to Dundalk fans. That simply fact is that he wasn't suspended by either governing body so there was nothing for Dundalk to be notified of.

Ezeikial
22/07/2009, 10:52 PM
I must be the only Dundalk fan that is a touch nervous about this.

The first one I have come across. (Suggest that you re-read the earlier posts for clarifications)

Section E Loyal
23/07/2009, 3:27 PM

Sorry only new to this forum but had to laugh at that statement. Only Collins could manage a straight red in what must've been his debut for his new club. One of the Irish Leagues most hated thuggish players, our loss is your gain, for abuse factor alone. Aul Mickey was always a good 'un for a bit of banter.

mcgonigle
23/07/2009, 5:55 PM
Sorry only new to this forum but had to laugh at that statement. Only Collins could manage a straight red in what must've been his debut for his new club. One of the Irish Leagues most hated thuggish players, our loss is your gain, for abuse factor alone. Aul Mickey was always a good 'un for a bit of banter.

He has been very disciplined since he started playing so far and he has been excellent. So it is very much our gain by the looks of things

Celdrog
23/07/2009, 6:22 PM
The fact is that the FAI can only suspend players that are registered with them. Whelan was registered with the FAI and they dealt with him as they are entitled to.So going by your logic, Mental Mickey is now registered with the FAI and they are entitled to deal with him.

As he was sent off in a match under FAI jurisdiction, they can now suspend him for his red card in that match. Its quite common for players to be banned from Europe as a result of picking up cards playing for other clubs.

I don't believe Dundalk have done anything wrong, but the FAI should clarify why Collins is not getting the same treatment as Gavin Whelan, for identical offences in the same match, when their next matches were in the LOI, under FAI control.

Conroy
23/07/2009, 6:30 PM
[QUOTE=Celdrog;1197993]So going by your logic, Mental Mickey is now registered with the FAI and they are entitled to deal with him.

As he was sent off in a match under FAI jurisdiction, they can now suspend him for his red card in that match.QUOTE]

Not quite, Say in your game against Dundee one of their players got sent-off. SFA never did anything. 5 Months later he signs for Drogs, By your logic the FAI can suspend him?

Celdrog
23/07/2009, 8:16 PM
Not quite, Say in your game against Dundee one of their players got sent-off. SFA never did anything. 5 Months later he signs for Drogs, By your logic the FAI can suspend him?The Dundee United player would be under the jurisdiction of the SFA, a Dundalk player in a match with 2 LOI clubs should be under the FAI.
All Dundalk were doing was waiting on international clearance, they had told the FAI he was signing.

Either way I'm just curious as to what the FAI's views are.
Oh - and we couldn't afford a Dundee United player:D

Ezeikial
23/07/2009, 11:15 PM
So going by your logic, Mental Mickey is now registered with the FAI and they are entitled to deal with him.

As he was sent off in a match under FAI jurisdiction, they can now suspend him for his red card in that match. Its quite common for players to be banned from Europe as a result of picking up cards playing for other clubs.

I don't believe Dundalk have done anything wrong, but the FAI should clarify why Collins is not getting the same treatment as Gavin Whelan, for identical offences in the same match, when their next matches were in the LOI, under FAI control.

Perhaps you are correct that both Michael Collins and Gavin Whelan should each have received suspensions. But the fact remains that the FAI did not sanction Collins (for the fairly obvious reasons already spelt out) and therefore he was free to play in the match against Derry.

As an aside, apart from excellent discipline, his form and influence to date has been superb - 2 man-of-the-match preformances and 2 goals in his 3 games!

Celdrog
24/07/2009, 1:41 PM
Perhaps you are correct that both Michael Collins and Gavin Whelan should each have received suspensions. But the fact remains that the FAI did not sanction Collins (for the fairly obvious reasons already spelt out) and therefore he was free to play in the match against Derry.
As an aside, apart from excellent discipline, his form and influence to date has been superb - 2 man-of-the-match preformances and 2 goals in his 3 games!Ah... there is something seriously wrong here - I agree with all of that:D