PDA

View Full Version : Overrated and underrated players

Pages : [1] 2

Angus
20/07/2009, 7:31 PM
Was looking at the Zlatan thread and thought it might be mildly amusing to list our favourite over and under rated players.

For me:

Overrated

Francesco Totti
Paul Gascoigne
Patrick Kluivert

Underrated

Tommy Johnson
Savo Milosevic
Michael Carrick

Razors left peg
20/07/2009, 7:34 PM
Was looking at the Zlatan thread and thought it might be mildly amusing to list our favourite over and under rated players.

For me:

Overrated

Francesco Totti
Paul Gascoigne
Patrick Kluivert

Underrated

Tommy Johnson
Savo Milosevic
Michael Carrick

Kluivert at 19 was phenominal. will never forgot how good he was against us in the playoff in Anfield for Euro 96... but he never fully became the player he should have been after that

rambler14
20/07/2009, 8:33 PM
Over-rated: Ibrahimovic. Close thread. There are no other answers.

Under-rated: Darren Fletcher.

gustavo
20/07/2009, 8:41 PM
Far from being over rated Ibrahimovic is positively under rated

rambler14
20/07/2009, 8:42 PM
Far from being over rated Ibrahimovic is positively under rated

Go way outta that. Utter tripe he is!

SkStu
20/07/2009, 8:53 PM
Overrated: Real Madrid

Underrated: LOI football.

Closed Account 2
20/07/2009, 9:05 PM
I think Rooney's vastly overrated, I'd say Pirlo and Fabio Cannavaro were rated fairly 4-5 years ago but are over-rated now.

Underrated: Fabio Simplicio, Tim Cahill, Ivan Rakitić, Olexsiy Hai, Sergei Nazarenko, Mehmet Aurélio, Uğur Boral, Salvador Cabañas, Edin Dzeko, Zvjezdan Misimović, Marcos Senna, Alan Dzagoev, Denis Glushakov, Razhavan Rat, Pascal Feiunduno, Igor Denisov, Vladimir Maminov (think he's just retired).

gustavo
20/07/2009, 9:10 PM
Go way outta that. Utter tripe he is!

You're right he's ****e , How I long for the day he manages to score a goal against an English club so he can become good

Razors left peg
20/07/2009, 9:15 PM
You're right he's ****e , How I long for the day he manages to score a goal against an English club so he can become good

Or anyone else in the Knockout stages of Champions league

irishultra
20/07/2009, 11:03 PM
Overrated:
Fernando Torres(i love the way rte actually say they think villa is the better striker :)
Iker Casilias(He's a top keeper but I hate the way people constantly bring up 'if it wasn't for casilias real madrid would be fecked, blah most keepers are good shot stoppers, iker is world class but just its a bit overstated)
John Terry(don't get his appeal at all, he's not a brilliant defender imo)
David Silva-i just don't get his style of play at all

Underrated:
Iniesta-although it changed this year but people actually think xavi is better than him, not a chance.

cant think of more

endabob1
21/07/2009, 10:28 AM
Overrated

Francesco Totti
Paul Gascoigne
Patrick Kluivert
k

Probably the single most gifted player I have ever seen in the flesh, whenever I see Lampard or Gerrard getting praised I always think of Gazza, he was technically & Natural ability-wise 10 times the player either of them are but mentally he was/is never in the same league.

Oh overrated I would have Pippo Inzaghi, I know he has a great scoring record but I don't undersatnd how, he looks average everytime I see him.

I'd agree that Carrick is hugely under-rated, does the simple things very well, a master of ball retention & seems to have a 6th sense for cutting out passes.

DCross06
21/07/2009, 2:35 PM
Overated: Terry, Fabegas, Adebayor, Ashley Cole, BECKHAM, Carragher.

Underated: Park Ji Sun, Kuyt, Agger, O'SHEA, Matt Taylor, Tim Cahill, Jagielka, Doyle.

rambler14
21/07/2009, 9:25 PM

Underated: Park Ji Sun, Kuyt, Agger, O'SHEA, Matt Taylor, Tim Cahill, Jagielka, Doyle.

I would agree.

old git
21/07/2009, 10:52 PM

add to overated .. gerrard , ferdinand , walcott , glen johnson

tim cahill must be the most underated player in preimer league :ball:

ifk101
22/07/2009, 6:39 AM
Theo Walcott.

Poor technical ability, positional sense and footballer in general. Very much overhyped.

gustavo
22/07/2009, 8:10 AM
add to overated .. gerrard , ferdinand , walcott , glen johnson

tim cahill must be the most underated player in preimer league :ball:

I don't know anyone who underrates Tim Cahill

reder
22/07/2009, 8:39 AM

Cant agree with you on that on. His second touch is a sliding tackle.

endabob1
22/07/2009, 8:49 AM

Fabergas is an excellent player, Arsenal with & without him are like 2 different sides.
Beckham is a ronseal player, does what it says on the tin, excellent delivery from wide & set pieces, whether it's pretty or not he creates goals with those slingshot crosses.
I'd agree with the others as being over-rated though, especially Cashley who is just pace & nothing else, poor defensively & hugely over-rated as an attacking full back.

In your Underrated I'd disagree with Jagielka who I think is a poor mans Gary Doherty & Kuyt who cost Liverpool 15m but has an awful touch, admitedly it doesn't help that Benitez insisits on buying centre forwards and then playing them as wingers

DeLorean
22/07/2009, 9:39 AM
I'd disagree with Jagielka who I think is a poor mans Gary Doherty

Did you watch any soccer last season?

OwlsFan
22/07/2009, 9:52 AM

For me:

Overrated

Francesco Totti
Paul Gascoigne
Patrick Kluivert

Underrated

Tommy Johnson
Savo Milosevic
Michael Carrick

Thread already been done but is a couple of years old now. Interesting to see who people thought were overrated/underrated then

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=77908&highlight=underrated

endabob1
22/07/2009, 10:22 AM
Did you watch any soccer last season?

Yes, lots, I simply don't get him, he always looks out of position to me and sometimes gets away with by making a lunging tackle which looks spectacular when it comes off but I'd much rather a player be in the right place form the start

ronburgundy
22/07/2009, 10:43 AM
overrated......... berbatov, tevez

underrated.......... clint dempsey (fulham)

DeLorean
22/07/2009, 10:45 AM
Yes, lots, I simply don't get him, he always looks out of position to me and sometimes gets away with by making a lunging tackle which looks spectacular when it comes off but I'd much rather a player be in the right place form the start

I thought he was excellent. He had a decent season in 07/08 but really came into his own last season. I remember one match actually in 07/08 against West Ham and inexplicably he got motm. Ashton gave him an awful time all day long. Other than that though I'd rate him very highly.

I'd agree that Tim Cahill isn't overrated as he gets a lot of recognition for his goal scoring and ariel ability, especially during his stint up front last season.

DeLorean
22/07/2009, 10:50 AM
Underated: Kuyt

Cant agree with you on that on. His second touch is a sliding tackle.

:DBrilliant

anto1208
22/07/2009, 12:31 PM
I cant belive some of those players listed Gazza, Torres and Beckam as over rated. Gazza was one of the best players to ever grace the pitch Torres is the best striker in the premier league .

Then putting Kuyt, O shea and Michael Carrick (who is one of the worst players ive ever seen) as under rated words cant express how bad Carrick is.

Putting evertons player and fans Player of the season Jageilka as under rated !! Think that makes him fairly well though off :D

overrated : League of ireland "REAL FANS" since when does watching a terrible standard of football make you a real fan if that was the case everone would just watch their local under 10 side as thats real local football !!!!

Sven goran erickson

endabob1
22/07/2009, 12:45 PM
Then putting Kuyt, O shea and Michael Carrick (who is one of the worst players ive ever seen) as under rated words cant express how bad Carrick is.

Carrick is class act, I watched him a lot when he was at Spurs and he quietly and efficiently does the simple stuff, ball retention is the name of the game and there isn't anyone better at it (in the EPL) than Carrick. He plays a lot of simple passes that create space without looking flashy, of the players Spurs lost in recent years to "Big" teams Carrick was the one that hurt the most.
When I see him at Utd (admitedly it's onl yon the tele) he does a similar job but for some reason a lot of Utd fans don't get him...

DeLorean
22/07/2009, 12:56 PM
Michael Carrick (who is one of the worst players ive ever seen) as under rated words cant express how bad Carrick is

Carrick is class act

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle

irishultra
22/07/2009, 1:10 PM
I cant belive some of those players listed Gazza, Torres and Beckam as over rated. Gazza was one of the best players to ever grace the pitch Torres is the best striker in the premier league .

Putting evertons player and fans Player of the season Jageilka as under rated !! Think that makes him fairly well though off :D

overrated : League of ireland "REAL FANS" since when does watching a terrible standard of football make you a real fan if that was the case everone would just watch their local under 10 side as thats real local football !!!!

Sven goran erickson

Overrated: Plastic Brits supporting British Clubs with their English centric mindset(as i always say they bypass the league of ireland and their knowledge begins at the welsh boarder and ends at Calais)

anto1208
22/07/2009, 1:42 PM
Overrated: Plastic Brits supporting British Clubs with their English centric mindset(as i always say they bypass the league of ireland and their knowledge begins at the welsh boarder and ends at Calais)

You have proven my point better than i could have ever even attempted to do.

gustavo
22/07/2009, 1:50 PM
You have proven my point better than i could have ever even attempted to do.

Apart from the fact that the point he was making was totally unrelated to the point you were making.

But carry on none the less.

anto1208
22/07/2009, 1:55 PM
Apart from the fact that the point he was making was totally unrelated to the point you were making.

But carry on none the less.

Hmmmm it is actually totally related but there you go .............

endabob1
22/07/2009, 2:03 PM
Over-rated - Threads that begin on a normal subject and descend into bitter slagging match between real LOI fans & plastic Barstoolers

Under-Rated - Threads that begin on a normal subject and descend into bitter slagging match between real LOI fans & plastic Barstoolers

irishultra
22/07/2009, 2:09 PM
i see anto 'thanked' that post, why he's the one who started it, why would you bring up fans of an entire league(of the island you happen to be from btw) when the thread was clearly talking about players?

DeLorean
22/07/2009, 2:36 PM
Come on lads lets get back on track...

Overrated: Henry Shefflin, The Gooch, IrishUltra and Joanne Cantwell

Underrated: Pele, Roger Federer, DeLorean and Evanne Ni Chuilinn

:D

irishultra
22/07/2009, 2:38 PM
I like Joanne Cantwell :) Agree about the gooch and i never even knew i was rated to begin with ;)

DeLorean
22/07/2009, 2:41 PM
I like Joanne Cantwell :) Agree about the gooch and i never even knew i was rated to begin with ;)

Everybody with over 1,000 posts is rated by default.

Den Perry
24/07/2009, 9:35 AM
Everybody with over 1,000 posts is rated by default.

Overrated - Carragher,Tevez,Downing,Corluka(well the fact that he is a pro footballer makes him overated in my opinion)

Underated - Essien(even if he did make a hash of clearance in CL semi final), Given,Cattermole,Baines

ped_ped
29/07/2009, 11:50 AM
Over-rated: Berbatov, Glen Johnson, Ferdinand, Amr Zaki, Park (the fact that he's being paid for what he does is overrating him enough...), Barry (I don't get why Benitez wanted him so much).

Under-Rated: Kuyt, Whelan, Benayoun... I would say Carrick but so many people rate him as under-rated that it kinda negates the point... Shay Given, Peter Crouch.

gustavo
29/07/2009, 12:13 PM
Over-rated: Berbatov, Glen Johnson, Ferdinand, Amr Zaki, Park (the fact that he's being paid for what he does is overrating him enough...), Barry (I don't get why Benitez wanted him so much).

Under-Rated: Kuyt, Whelan, Benayoun... I would say Carrick but so many people rate him as under-rated that it kinda negates the point... Shay Given, Peter Crouch.

Don't think there's many that could say he's not one of the finest centre backs in the world to be fair

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2009, 12:17 PM
Don't think there's many that could say he's not one of the finest centre backs in the world to be fair
Yep. This is the only site I've seen so much criticism of it but it is anti more or less everything English after all.

DeLorean
29/07/2009, 12:26 PM
Under-Rated: Kuyt, Whelan, Benayoun...

The fact that he's one of the first names on the Irish team sheet these days makes him grossly overrated for me.

In relation to Kuyt I think that everybody gets what he contributes. Bags of energy and workrate with no real touch or vision. I think it falls upon whether you believe that this is good enough for where Liverpool want to be, personally I don't. He'd be a grand squad player, like Park, but he seems to be undroppable in Benitez's eyes.

bennocelt
31/07/2009, 8:53 AM
UNDER RATED

M ESSIEN
DA MARCUS BEASLEY
MARTIN JORGENSEN
ANDRES INIESTA
MARCOS SENNA
ESTEBAN CAMBIASSO
MIGUEL MONTEIRO
YURI ZHIRKOV
PETTER HANSSON
DARIO RODRIGUEZ
LUDOVIC MAGNIN
CARLOS EDWARDS
TORSTEN FRINGS

Just went through my fav player list (yeah i do keep one - is that sad?!) , here are a few players that I like and I think are underrated. I do seem to like midfield workhorses
Also cant wait to see Zhrikov with Chelsea, he is an awesome player, puts his head down and gets on with the work, and is a great winger
Senna and Iniesta (and Messi) are my fav players at the moment

overrated
Zlaton I - 46 million, surely that cant be right and Eto gone as well. Barca now will def find it harder to get goals this coming season
Kuyt - a donkey, can you see him playing with a team like Arsenal or Barca!!!! That would be funny to see!
Carrick - a real dodgy deal down by Ferguson here me thinks;). the Utd mid is porous
Ballack. i hate this guy, he pulls out of tackles (re barca game, and Italy game in WC, that can be costly), doesnt boss the midfield but would rather fall down with soft challenges, and scores the odd free kick, and yet he is Chelsea's 3rd highest paid player. take Essien out and Chelsea mid would look bare.

by the way- someone mentioned Inzaghi - he is generally regarded as rubbish and always offside, but you will be hard pushed to get a better box player who can score important goals - or at least did back in the day

seand
31/07/2009, 10:53 AM
Overrated
Glad to see someone else has Totti in this category... I must be missing something but I've never seen him play that well
Gerrard (and I'm a Liverpool sympathiser)
Pele - not as good as Maradona, Puskas....
And from the LoI: Jay O'Shea, Owen Heary, Jo Ndo

Underrated
Premiership: given the hype there's not many, but I always like Rob Green, Bouma, Agger
And from the LoI: Brian Murphy, Tiarnan Mulvenna, Michael Daly, Darragh Maguire

DeLorean
31/07/2009, 11:37 AM
someone mentioned Inzaghi - he is generally regarded as rubbish and always offside, but you will be hard pushed to get a better box player who can score important goals - or at least did back in the day

Yeah the guy must have something. Always scored important goals as well as loads more. Hard to spot it sometimes though.

Glad to see someone else has Totti in this category... I must be missing something

Probably a lot of Serie A matches, like myself

Man, you must be ancient!!

DmanDmythDledge
31/07/2009, 11:56 AM
UNDER RATED

M ESSIEN
ANDRES INIESTA
Can't see how two are considering under rated.

Underrated
And from the LoI: Brian Murphy
He's considered the best keeper in the league so I fail to see how he is under rated.

bennocelt
31/07/2009, 12:49 PM
Can't see how two are considering under rated.

He's considered the best keeper in the league so I fail to see how he is under rated.

Yeah I know what u are saying but I wonder does this reflect the wage deals they are on? (compared to other players in the same squads?)

old git
01/08/2009, 8:58 PM
Overrated
Glad to see someone else has Totti in this category... I must be missing something but I've never seen him play that well
Gerrard (and I'm a Liverpool sympathiser)
And from the LoI: Jay O'Shea, Owen Heary, Jo Ndo

Underrated
Premiership: given the hype there's not many, but I always like Rob Green, Bouma, Agger
And from the LoI: Brian Murphy, Tiarnan Mulvenna, Michael Daly, Darragh Maguire

totally disagree with pele as overrated .... cannot even understand how many people still underate him the man was an absolute genuis and a legend :ball:

FahyForever
04/08/2009, 2:59 PM
Zlatan is the most overrated player ever. Utter, utter ****. Can't understand the deal with Barca at all. Etoo AND 35 million??? Insane.

seand
05/08/2009, 10:40 AM
totally disagree with pele as overrated .... cannot even understand how many people still underate him the man was an absolute genuis and a legend :ball:

Only over-rated in that he's not the God-like deity some (including Pele) would have you believe. It was a tongue-in-cheek post though. He'd get a game for Kildare County ;)

gustavo
06/08/2009, 11:21 AM
Zlatan is the most overrated player ever. Utter, utter ****. Can't understand the deal with Barca at all. Etoo AND 35 million??? Insane.
If he's ****e then theres only about 2-3 good players in the world